SEM Group

SEM Group Reviews

SEM utilise industry leading products & technology to ensure the performance and longevity of your solar system.

Offering great value for money, our experts will be able to advise you on the best system for you.

We also offer great finance options where your repayments are similar to what you make from your solar system.

Our experience and diverse range of products coupled with outstanding customer service and support allows you to sit back, relax and enjoy the comfortable process of your new solar installation.

Darwin Contact Details:
A: 64 Raphael Road, Winnellie NT 0820

Brisbane Contact Details:
A: Unit 2/6 Overend Street, East Brisbane QLD 4169

Adelaide Contact Details:
A: 76 Hughes Street, Mile End SA 5010

Melbourne Contact Details:
A: Level 9/440 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

Reviewers report paying: $4,600 - $11,750 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

SEM Group Reviews (284)

great installation, completed in 3 hours, waiting for AGL to switch meter

happy with sale person and quoting, installation guys were punctual and efficient, awaiting change of meter at present

Satisfied Customer

The quoting process was very good, as I had the sales man come to visit and he explained the system installation process and answered my questions so I was able to understand.
I was also very satisfied with the young men who installed the system. They were polite, friendly and explained the process to me, including giving me advise as to what the next steps would be.
I have already received a date for the replacement of the old meter with a new.

Good install but customer service needs improvement

I did thorough research and obtained multiple quotes before I decided to go ahead with SEM Group.

What I liked about them:
- good reviews both on FB and SolarQuotes sites
- their sales person (Adam) attended our property in person within a day I contacted them and did a thorough walkabout; Adam responded to my emails promptly and adjusted their quote a few times without any delay.
- offered the best price (even our installation was not a easy one (3-storey building)
- they were on time and finished the job in a day
- they promptly organised grid connection

Things I was disappointed about:
- During the install, one of the installers made a punch-through hole in the wall and initially offered a dodgy cover-up fix with a piece of plastic cable channel. He tried to tell me there was no other way to he could've avoided that but later the crew foreman admitted this was a mistake and arranged a painter to fix the hole. It took almost a week to fix the whole after multiple calls to the painter - SEM Group Customer service did not do much about it at all (not even sure they were made aware of the issue).

- Per initial quote, I was meant to get 22 panels installed on the northern side of the roof. During the install, I've been advised that 2 panels need to be relocated from the northern to the southern side of the roof to allow min clearances on each side of the panel strings. Apparently, the guy who was doing the quote did wrong assessment of the roof size. When prompted to compensate for potential loss of the system production due to relocation to sub-optimal southern side of the roof, he said there is nothing he could do with that.

- Once the system was installed and connected to wifi, it kept dropping out - I had to re-connect it to an alternative (more reliable) wifi network. When requested help from the installer via text message, I was getting response only after hours (apparently, the guy was very busy). Customer services was not able to help me - I had to look up on internet how to re-configure inverters wifi connection myself (which was not a biggie for me but could've been a problem for others).

Recommendation:
I felt that SEM Group overall is a responsible installer, who try to look after their customers, however, they need to improve their customer service to give best experience so that their clients didn't feel left alone with any issues arising during and straight after the installation. A dedicated customer support contact I could talk to would've been a great help to me!

Good afternoon Sergei,

Thank you for your review, whilst there are some positives there are also some negatives which we always try to minimise. With the initial research you did around us, as you would have found, we have an exceptionally good name and customer service is one of our strengths. We take all feedback exceptionally seriously and I will be conducting a full review around your points above. Once I have completed by analysis I will give you a call to discuss if that is ok. Thank you once again for choosing us for your installation and without feedback we can't improve so thank you for taking time to fill this in.

Brett Adams
Founding Director - SEM Group

Wonderful solar experience with knowledgeable and hard workers

Aaron from SEM Group was easily the nicest and most knowledgeable salesperson of the multiple quotes we received (including others from outside of SolarQuotes). He knew his stuff, and could answer any questions we had instantly. We continued to ask detailed questions about our proposed system and solar in general. He responded to all emails very promptly and provided detailed information - a very appreciated factor!

The installers came on time, and ended up working longer than expected, putting in a hard 10 hour day. They worked diligently throughout the day, and there wasn't a minute where someone wasn't on the roof doing something.

Overall, a great experience.

Original Review on 17-08-2020:

Great products at a competitive price.

SEM came around the afternoon I called. They provided a quote the next day. They offered premium products at a price that was cheaper than the competition. They delivered the installation when they said and were on time and very professional. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Adrian: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Absolutely. Happy to send you csv files of performance if that will be of interest to you.

Great company

Very understanding, no question a bother and prompt answers. Installation done on time ,consulting with the installers great ,very accomodating with best placement. Company rang after installation regarding if I was happy with everything and if staff were polite and everything tidy. All grid connection ect handled wonderfully. Company would still like me to let them know when my next power bill comes in so they can check that I’m getting the best possible service. Wonderful they want to follow up. Great.

Fantastic experience in all ways!

Our initial contact Peter couldn’t be more helpful and accommodating. Made everything so easy for us.

The office kept us updated and were lovely and polite. The installers came on time and did a great job.

I have no complaints at all. The whole experience was so easy and pleasant!!

Good prompt, customer service

We became very confused trying to compare quotes from several companies. SEM were punctual, friendly and efficient

Physically visited to provide a quote

SEM Darwin when quoting physically made the effort to visit to provide an accurate quote without any extras.
While the Tesla Battery was late they kept me informed beforehand to arranged another day for installation.
Quality of installation was excellent and I love the Tesla app to keep me informed how much electricity we are using, how much solar I am generating and how much is going into the grid, also how much % is in the battery. Went for the Fronius inverter and the LG panels which have all worked a dream.
I took advantage of the NTGovts rebate for solar and battery installation $8000

Original Review on 23-07-2020:

Pretty Good Overall

Overall I'm happy with the system installed. A couple of minor negatives were: a) installer ended up doing a slightly different east / west split than we talked about in the morning after he inspected the roof - think he confused himself a bit; b) panels were installed too close to the gutter on one string - I gave the leading hand a call not long after he'd left and he came back and fixed up with me. They promptly contacted AGL to organise the grid connection. Original ratings

Good afternoon Andrew. Thank you for taking time to write a review on how we performed on your project. As we have an exceptional name on this platform, when we get a review like this we will conduct a full investigation onto what happened and more importantly learn from this experience so that it doesn't happen again.

My sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Brett Adams - Director SEM Group

8 months later we asked Andrew: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

No change

Original Review on 20-07-2020:

Good experience from start to finish.

Quoting very informative with quick follow up afterwards when I ensiled queries.
Installers Came promptly, worked quickly and neatly and were extra helpful.

8 months later we asked Wendy: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Yes. It has done well for me over the year

Excellent knowledge and advice. Professional and helpful customer service.

Excellent service and communication from booking quote and install date, to installation and post install. Salesperson was helpful, professional and knowledgeable, not pushy or sales-y. SEM listened to what we were looking for, provided great quality advice and products, were punctual, polite and tidy at install. Great follow up with all the info we needed post-install to connect our app and advise our retailer we were connected to solar.

Great company

Received clear quotes on 2 size systems. Site visit by Damian ( sales) and Daemon (electrician , installer) was pivotal - able to check out best fit for roof , allay any concerns I had with installation on tiled roof , discussed and explained benefits of chosen system . Signed Wednesday , system installed following Monday! Installers- Ed, Ashe and Daemon were great and worked a big day to get system on. App to follow system great to use. Follow up help with reading app / getting meter change approvals done very helpful.

Professional Installer

Professional from start through to finish. Exceptional customer service and follow up.

Original Review on 18-06-2020:

good system

Good contact. They carried out a site visit. System was fitted in 2 weeks from signing contract. Very well fitted on our roof, the layout was very aesthetic. Bit of a hiccup with the finance package but they sorted that for us. In the middle of winter, our new system has our power usage about $3-$5/day in credit. Can't wait for summer. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Chris: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

We have had our 6.6kw system for 8 months now, June 2020-Feb 2021.
We went with SEM Group who were dearer than what you see advertised on TV but I think the quality is better.
We upgraded from a 1.5kw system to a 6.6kw system when we re-roofed our house. Somehow, we were able to retain our 56c/kw feed in tarrif.
Our first electricity account was only 2 months with the new panels in winter. We received a $13 credit.
2nd account Aug-Nov we received a $540 credit.
3rd account over summer, we received a $801 credit.
Yesterday was our best day so far & the system produced 40kw.
Today it produced 37kw.
We are very pleased with our system & very glad we chose to upgrade. Good for us & good for our carbon footprint.

Original Review on 10-06-2020:

Could not have been Happier with the company

Best service out of all Could not have been Happier Original ratings

8 months later we asked Stuart: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

As from the first day,i cound not be Happier with the system and the follow up from the installer

Exceeded expectations

The whole process from start to finish was smooth and professional. Having asked for an initial quote on a particular sized system I also sought quotations on two larger systems which were provided without fuss. Installation was punctual and incorporated replacement of roofing iron (at my request and cost) which was completed without hesitation. Positioning of inverter and panels was done with consultation and I'm more than happy with the outcome. Communication was of a high standard throughout the whole process.

Could not be happier

I heard about Solar Quotes and decided to give them a try. We live regionally so it’s often hard to get someone interested in doing a job so I was cautiously optimistic that Solar Quotes would come through with at least one contractor. I was presented with 3 names, 2 of who contacted me within a couple of days. (A 3rd took approximately 10 days so I decided to ignore them)
SEM were the first to contact me and nothing was too much trouble. When I said I wanted someone to visit the property and it was 85 KM from the city, SEM had no problem in doing so - quickly.
The sales person was extremely helpful and friendly, lots of knowledge and nothing was too much trouble - head and shoulders above other independent quotes I’d had. (One independent company- not through Solar Quotes, wanted me to pay a deposit before they’d do an on-site inspection and final quote!!!)
It was an easy decision to go ahead with SEM.
Installation day was a breeze. They arrived when they said they would and were both courteous and friendly, working non stop all day to get our system installed. On completion of installation, the system was explained to us including use of the App.
Unlike a lot of tradespeople. The team from SEM were very tidy and was no rubbish left behind - the area was left neat and tidy.
I would thoroughly recommend SEM to anyone looking for a quality Solar PV System. 10 / 10 on every level.

Great Service Information and installation

Sales quoting service was prompt, helpful, and responsive. Catered for individual preferences and timelines for installation. Installation thorough, cleaned up, respectful of premises, polite and considerate installers. Customer service very good with check-ins for date of installation, contract details clearly explained and available online for clarification, effective confirmations for delivery timeline, advice regarding timings for arrivals of workers, installation check ins and satisfaction queries. Overall an extremely good experience dealing with SEM

Good product knowledge and options for a comprehensive system.

After some initial miscommunication all issues were resolved and happy with workmanship of system.

Beautiful work

Just had an upgrade installed to my old system and now have optimal performance for my 3 phase inverter. System now ready for battery storage once technology makes it worthwhile with battery lifetime and cycle efficiency.

Great crew and install

Great system by a great crew, communication and costumer support was top notch from start to finish, install went without a hitch by a very professional and polite crew.

Very Happy and Satisfied Customer!!

I could not be happier with the SEM Group SA and thoroughly recommend the whole team.
Jason quoted on a suitable system for my home with an actual photo layout of the panels, then followed up with a site inspection. He was very knowledgeable and patient in answering my many questions.
The install team of Ben, Reece and Jason was friendly, tidy and thorough on a very hot day for roof work! They worked really well together and did a great job.
Mick did an excellent job with the all the admin/paperwok and even dealt with the energy provider for me. Great customer service!
I am using a SolarEdge inverter and the phone app is very easy to understand and use. The boys were very helpful and showed me how to use it, and could even demonstrate it working as soon as the install was complete!

Across the whole process, I thoroughly recommend SEM Group SA. Well done team!!

Personal Service with follow up after installation

The new Solar System is a winner. SEM Group were great from the start. They quoted via 'Solar Quotes' and were the only company among the 3 quotes that we received that called out in person to see us and go through all the questions about solar that we had.
The price was on par with the other quality companies that were referred to us and we were pleased with the quality of service and install. We avoided the cheap advertised companies as I have read a lot of nightmare reviews about them, so chose to spend a bit extra.
The system is now in place for a couple of weeks and working well, We opted for a Fronius Inverter with the standard panels for a 6.6Kwh system.
After sales was also a pleasure with Mick from SEM SA taking a few calls regarding operation and questions about the phone app etc..
I am happy to recommend SEM SA based on my experience (Nov 2020)

Quality

The sales and quoting process was very informative.
The installation was done on the day planned and was professional.
Customer service was brilliant I was kept informed.

Happy overall

sales and quoting process was excellent kept in contact all through .Installation was quite smooth and straight forward all contact with the e.nergy supplier was done by them

Pleasure to deal with

From the initial quote to the installation SEM were very accommodating even while we were going through the process of comparing various quotes.
The installation was undertaken by a team of very polite technicians who took the time to discuss a very minor change. They were punctual and left the place in a tidy state.
The remote monitoring app has already shown a few patterns that we can discuss to reduce our grid usage.
Would recommend SEM SA to anyone considering a solar installation.

SEM Group recommended

Sales and quoting process was very efficient, installation went as scheduled with no hitches at all. All done in one day. All staff members from sales, to admin to installers were professional and helpful from start to finish.

Good Service & Price

Quoting: All questions answered by SEM.Group narrowing down choices. It helps to do your research before getting quotes. Thanks Finn Peacock!

Installation: Punctual, tidy and polite.
Customer Service: Overall great.
We went with 20 REC Panels & Sungrow inverter + monitoring system.

SEM - Good service and quality, competitive pricing

I chose SEM over other providers as they had competitive pricing, were better established and did not rely on subcontractors for installation (in-house teams of installers).
SEM has been really helpful throughout all the process, from sales to installation to organising post installation aspects (EWR with electricity provider...).
Everything ran smoothly, and the quality of installation is very good. Definitely recommend.

Amazing installer. Great service and value

amazing experience
They were really easy to work with and very supportive in finding the best solar package for our house needs

SEM Installers

Quoting process was great, they also put me onto a broker who specialize in solar finance.
Install happened quick and painless
Person doing the install was very informative and helpful with explaining the system and how it works.

Happy customer

Great people to deal with, absolute professionals, made everything easy to understand.

All so very good, despite a couple of hiccups

SEM is one of 3 companies who quoted for us. We thought we might be comparing apples with apples, but we weren’t, as each proposed system used differing technology. That made the decision hard, and demanded research into an area I have zero knowledge of.

SEM made the decision easier because of the excellent approach of Damian Zwiersen, the Salesman, who put in 10 x the effort of the other two quoters. Now I know a good sales pitch doesn’t guarantee a good job, but the Solar Quotes recommendation gave us some confidence.
Having plumped for SEM, (with a Solar Edge inverter and Longitude panels) the paperwork went through like clockwork, for which many thanks, Mick Warner.

The installation was a little more problematic, given our 2-storey house is high on a notoriously windy coast. What was to be a one-day job became a three-day effort - but that wasn’t a problem for us as we still finished before the new meter was put in. At all times, the installers were very polite, very tidy and very punctual.

The after-sales has been terrific, with Edward the Second installer taking me through the system, and keeping in touch several times afterwards to make sure all is well. We had an issue with the Zigby hot-water system interface, and that necessitated a visit from Ben Fruchot, one of the Adelaide owners and the technical expert, and I think that’s fixed now. But I have no doubt that if I have any issues they will deal with them promptly and cheerfully.

You read about a lot of shonks in this industry, so I am grateful to have had Solar Quotes pointing us in the right direction.

Full Packet Experience

I chose SEM group as they initially had the best price for the same system from 3 quotes. From there on I had nothing but a great experience starting with Peter the sales rep right through to installation and the subsequent follow up service. I was kept up to date at each stage and the installation team were excellent. SEM also organised the grid connection so all i had to do was organise the date. I have rated them 5 stars in all categories which is a true reflection of my experience. Two of my family members have subsequently also had systems installed by SEM.

Fantastic experience

Had my installation done 3 days ago, there were showers on and off all day but the installers stayed untill 8 o'clock to make sure everything was running as it should and that I understood what I needed to. I can't say too many nice things about the group of lads that did my installation, they were polite, friendly, and professional. Thanks again Jason, Ben, and Andrew.

Fantastic Service

We couldn’t fault SEM, from the quote and the personal service to go through the quote to the phone calls as to when the system would be installed perfect, as for the installers, we couldn’t have asked for more easy to get on with guys, they came in, installed the panels, unfortunately there was a problem with our inverter, however, we have been kept in the loop, and have been informed that a new inverter will be installed within a couple of days. We are very happy with the whole service that SEM has provided. Thanks guys, well done

Very helpful service

Happy with everything so far, great service and quick install

Very happy

The SEM rep was friendly and informative. I appreciated the 3 proposals provided by SEM. It allowed us to choose the one that suited our budget. The electrician was punctual and thorough. Installation was straight-forward. The electrician explained how the inverter and app work. SEM have been helpful after installation, ie. reminding me to call power company and insurance company, etc.

Down to business.

The quoting process was positive, however there still exists within the market a significant variation of price for the same product and specification.
Having had a number of installs over time and having read the writings of Finn and others on the topic, I has able to cut 'straight to the chase' with respect to expected price and specifications.
Thank you for the service, it really is an excellent platform that Finn has developed to support the responsible and effective installation of PV across the nation.

I am very happy with the Solar Edge system from SEM group good quality components helpful and friendly staff. Using Solar quotes made the whole thing quite painless

The quoting process was was easy and straightforward. Lots of detail and easy to understand.
The installation was on time the lads were polite friendly and very tidy

Great customer service

Sales were great to deal with and I remained informed throughout, despite being interstate during the whole process.

Excellent service from start to finish!

I contacted the team at SEM Group QLD to quote the installation of a solar system for our newly constructed house. I was able to arrange an on-site consultation within a few days of the call and met with Brett. He took the time to completely understand our needs and suggested a system that would provide optimal output for our shaded position. After our initial consultation he also sent out a technician to measure the potential year round sun exposure which then informed a range of output and panel placement options. Brett was very patient with my multitude of questions and system configuration variations before I finally settled on the system that was ideal for our needs. The installation was seamless, very professional and only took half a day! Their aftersales service has also been exceptional, promptly responding to my questions and immediately rectifying a minor issue with my consumption monitoring. Ultimately I am very happy with the final result, with daily outputs well exceeding original estimates.

Satisfied customer

SEM delivered a quality system at the best price to our home.
From the beginning of the process I was well informed without feeling harassed.
I am satisfied with the installation and happy with the price and quality of the system.
As SEM also are a local company, I have no hesitation, in recommending them in the future.

Excellent experience

Having just moved to Darwin from Tasmania where we had Solar, we requested 3 Solar quotes and local knowledge information.
Dane from SEM Group Darwin, was punctual, polite, extremely efficient and very pleasant...and assisted us with the fabulous NT grants...and all the necessary paperwork.
From the initial quote, responses back re success of grants, Danes rapid response to queries, SEM Group emails as to what was required of us and what to expect, through to installation was a breeze.
The installation team were very pleasant, professional, efficient and clean. Poor fellows had an extra long day as the Battery was not expected to arrive on the same day...it did thanks to Matthew..and total job done!
We had not realised the possible lag time of connection due to requiring Power and Water to check the meter..and their limited resource workers..but Matthew performed some magic and we were up and running a few days later.
Matthew went through the entire system with us and even assisted us to download our mobile app for Tesla.

Overall excellent experience with Dane, Josh and Matthew, Woody and all the team from the SEM Group Darwin.
Highly recommend them!!

Professional Service & Installation

The whole process went without a hitch, SEM installation team are very professional and did an excellent job. The installation is neat and tidy, especially the solar panel roof layout which complements the house.

SEM sales consultant was the only one to mention that we needed to have more solar panel power than inverter power. Solar Quotes has a calculator on their site that calculates a system’s performance. Basically, even on a sunny day a solar system can have up to 20% of power losses if you consider a panel’s efficiency, cable loss and inverter efficiency. Therefore, you need to install extra capacity (solar panels) than your inverter size if you want to get the most of your system. For example, we have an 8kw inverter with 10kw of solar panels which will compensate for these losses.

Excellent service and a fair price

Overall I had a very positive experience with SEM. The price was not the cheapest but was a fair price. Their sales rep was not pushy or rushed and did not try the "hard sale" techniques that other companies did use. They answered all my questions and listened to my needs. They also went to extra lengths to upgrade my distribution board for the new system because the old distribution board was quite old and I wanted Solar Analytics. The installation was on the date agreed and all completed in one day as expected. I checked the installation and it was done neatly and the workers left only a small bit of rubbish. The customer service was fine and they were responsive whenever I called with a query.

Extremely Professional

After doing our research and due diligence we decided on SEM Solar for our particular system. Joss was our solar consultant and he was no pressure, extremely knowledgeable and helpful in listening to our needs and then suggesting the most suitable system for our requirements. The installation went very smoothly and the guys were very pleasant and accommodating. Jack in the office so helpful and efficient, and we had a slight issue with the electrical work done which was attended to and sorted the same day of calling.

Very happy with the quality of work and system which was important to us and the project pricing. We would certainly recommend SEM Solar & Electrical to anyone wanting a quality system and installation at a realistic price.

Very professional.

Quick quotation after a site inspection. Able to discuss every detail in a pleasant way. Staff polite and installation quick and efficient.

Professional, Prompt, Friendly and Economical

From our first enquiry, right up to the after-sales call (yes, I got one), the process was seamless.

With the utmost professionalism, they asked the relevant questions and pinpointed our needs immediately.
Working for a major development, I don't have a lot of time to spare, so it was great to find a company who have viable solutions from the get-go at affordable pricing.

I definitely recommend SEM Group hands down!