Smart Energy Answers

Smart Energy Answers Reviews

Smart Energy Answers (SEA) is Australia’s leading solar solutions provider with Head Office in Sydney. With a decade of collective experience in the field, our team has completed over 5,000 residential and commercial installations. We have an extensive team of designers, electricians, engineers, and technicians specially trained in all areas of solar generation power systems.

SEA is proud to have attained the highest accreditation level in Australia. As a CEC Approved Solar Retailer, we are committed to helping communities gain energy independence through the latest technologies and high-quality services.

Our Operations Director Sam is well known in the industry for the quality of his installation designs and workmanship and for having physically installed and commissioned the largest commercial Tesla Powerwall Installation in the world.

We are also a certified installer of LG Solar, REC Solar, Canadian Solar, Seraphim, Longi, SolarEdge, Fronius, Sungrow, sonnenBatterie, LG Chem and Tesla Powerwall.

We install systems and have Operation Centres in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Adelaide, Brisbane, Central Coast, Newcastle, Wollongong, and Orange. Contact us on 1300 732 679 or [email protected] for more information.

The SMART Difference

· Complex decisions made simple – because our experienced consultants are committed to helping you make an informed decision by providing a tailored assessment of your energy needs, future thinking.

· Buy quality, buy once – because we combine the best workmanship with some of the most superior products on the market today.

· Exceptional customer care – because our ultimate goal is to make our customers happy and to provide a delightful experience.

· Savings guaranteed – because our customers can benefit from our industry-leading performance guarantee, ensuring that you receive the best possible long-term outcome.

Reviewers report paying: $4,264 - $12,000 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

Smart Energy Answers Reviews (322)

4.4/5

Installation - Poor - after 3 weeks still not working

Sales and quoting was okay but after I had accepted the quote and paid the deposit - then I was informed of a quote variance and I had to pay an extra $1000.

Installation was not up to standard - electrical installation caused many caused many problems - 3 weeks later still not working. Blown circuits and many appliances blown up - currently over $2500 worth of damage and the supplier wants to blame the old switchboard and not pay for the damage which I find totally unacceptable. I relied on his expertise to get the installation done. Everything was working fine until they started the installation.
Yes they were polite but one thing I was also annoyed about was they broke a tile under the ridge capping and did not advise me - they used silicon repair it but over time that won't last.

I have to say that I thought I was getting a quality installation but that was not the case.

Excellent installer. Good advice before and during the installation process. Fantastic follow-up.

I was referred to Smart Energy Answers by my sister after her good experience with them.

The consultant was excellent, had good responses to my questions and was happy to offer several options for size and quality of panels.
If anything, they were reluctant to put as much solar on as I was looking for but we did eventually talk them up to the size of install I wanted. I went with a 15.99kW system using Hyundai 390W panels and SolarEdge inverters with optimisers. For that size I needed 2 inverters since the largest they have is a 10kW inverter.

The installer was competent and punctual. He was booked during the torrential downpour that happened in Sydney earlier this year and found days here and there to get everything done without any delays. He and his apprentices were always courteous and thoughtful when working around my house.

In the month since the install I have been contacted twice to check how things are going and to make sure I am happy with the new system. The first time I commented that the SolarEdge monitoring software wasn't working properly and they organised to have an electrical engineer come out to look at it. It turns out that it sorted itself out within a week so the engineer wasn't necessary.

Erg Energy installed the system and did a fantastic job

Great personalised service

We chose SEA as they were the only company that offered a salesperson coming to our site for the initial consultation. The salesperson was excellent-well informed and passionate about his job. Their pricing was also competitive.

Only complaints were with with installation: the installer didn’t grind all the tiles down where the brackets were installed (except for one really obvious one that I brought to his attention). Have informed SEA, but still waiting two weeks later. To be fair, it has been raining and the roof hasn’t leaked, bit I’d still like it fixed! Also, the rails the panels are mounted on weren’t trimmed back to the panel edges-they protrude 150 mm or so. Not a functional issue, but better if it was tidied up.

Tilts or no tilts

The design and quote process through Smart Energy Answers was well explained and straight forward.
The design provided for the panels to be mounted on tilt frames on my flat roof, which I was told was standard. However the kit provided to the installers did not include tilt frames so the panels were mounted flat. The installers thought this would not compromise the efficiency of the system and I ended up with a refund for the cost of the frames. Still, I should have been notified of the changed design prior to installation.
The installers were punctual, polite and efficient.
Follow up service was good, the instruction manual supplied was comprehensive and easy to follow.

Up & running for 1 week now

After many months of wondering & researching, I found the professional and plain speaking staff at S.E.A to be just what I needed. Past customer reviews were extremely positive, and I’d have to say I have no concerns throughout the process.
The design and components ( panels & inverter) are said to be of a very high standard with extensive warranties on the components & the workmanship. Once we had agreed on the design & the price, The courteous & efficient installation team of 3 were on site. 5 hrs later - & it was all done & the sun was supplying my power needs.
That was less than a wk ago. So far, so very very good!!!!

Grateful to Solar Quotes.

A standard for "working from home" needs to be set. The sales rep. that I dealt with must have worked in a tiny room which results in "hollow" sounds as they/he/she/other spoke. Very unprofessional! The rep was OK to variations I suggested and all went well until install day when the skies opened and only the inverter and cables could be installed and that because I had to insist the inverter not be on outside west wall but installed in garage. The install team were good - polite, tidy and punctual on their return visit several days later due to weekend intervening.. My gripe is that as I am not tech savvy, I did not understand how to use the inverter app. There is a video on SEA site but I wish the boss installer had set it up for me.
I am still waiting for new meter nearly 4 weeks so far after SEA info for Electricity supplier got lost and only because I asked supplier when they will come did the info get re-sent.
I am glad most other people have trouble -free installs according to reviews.

Simple process, attentive to my asks and efficient to install

Smart Energy answers took the trouble to have an onsite quote - as asked. the Quote was tailored to my needs and installation was earlier than expected and completed with no fuss.

Quality system

Good service. Punctual. The only installer who came to site to review the installation beyond using near maps.
The system options quoted were the quality I desired.
There was a problem after the initial install but importantly for me they reviewed and came back quickly to correct the issue.
Over all a good experience and I would recommend Smart Energy Answers.

Installation took over a week and still has minor outstanding issue. Finance arrangements through business and credit provider was appalling. Misinformation from both parties advising interest rates and payments. Still being sorted some three weeks after installation

Great team installing the solar panels

The installation went perfectly and I am happy with them. They were very professional on the day and the installation looks neat. Will be adding a battery in soon.

My only issue was that I had to follow up to get an installation date after the promised initial “2-3 weeks” passed without being contacted.

I also had to follow up my energy provider myself to let them know I am now connected to solar (and therefore start my FIT). This should have been the installation company.

Excellent Service from Smart Energy Answer

We had no doubt Smart Energy Answers really cared about us when we applied for the Solar Panel System. They were extremely helpful to find out the correct Solar Panels and Inverter for us when we told her our needs at the beginning. Also, we highly appreciate their approach and techniques throughout the process! Could not recommend it highly enough. Thanks, SEA and all others!

Original Review on 15-07-2020:

Prompt and efficient service

The sales consultant was knowledgeable and spent time discussing all options. The quote was guaranteed price and had performance expectations written down.

I was lucky to get an installation date very close to booking. Installation was on time, clean, and high quality. The system is connected to the grid and up and running in 4 weeks.

Any questions, follow ups I had were dealt quickly and respectfully. Happy to spend a bit extra for the quality of install and service.

8 months later we asked Ali: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Yes, the system has been performing well and exceeding the numbers in system performance guarantee. The installer has also checked in after 3 months or so to check it there were any complaints.

Original Review on 10-07-2020:

DC optimiser install

Not a straight forward install. East west orientation with shading issues. Sales personnel knowledgeable and helpful. Installation personnel very competent and did quality job. Original ratings

8 months later we asked James: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Smart Energy Answers

Positive: Customer service team was responsive prior to installation and replied to emails promptly.
I got Canadian Solar panels with a Sungrow invertor. The system works well.
No issue with Ember Pulse smart meter. It is a handy tool to monitor the consumption.
The installer was punctual with professional manner.

Negative: The sales person told me that I cannot install more than 16 panels because of limited roof space but on installation day the installer said that there is enough space for 2 more panels.
It took 5 months from the initial deposit to installation in Victoria. The sales person told me that they will start the installation after stage 4 lock down, he did not mention that it will be 5 months after it.
On installation day, an internal wall was damaged as the installer drilled a hole too deep in the meter box. I sent photos to SMA but nothing has been done about it after a month.

Very informative, carried out the installation in a professional manner

Sea carried out the installation on the 11th of February, the long delay was down to my computer having issues and the nbn dropping out. As such the consultancy had to carried out by mobile.

Very professional from sales to installation to after sales.

The salesman was very professional and answered all my queries. In situations where he couldn't quite answer technical queries, I was put onto an engineer for a thorough explanation. The salesman was never pushy and I was provided with options.

The installation occurred on time and the installers were very professional. The installation was very tidy and I was happy with the end result.

After installation Smart Energy Answers organised connection to the grid with my electricity provider. I also received a follow up call a couple of weeks after installation to make sure everything was going well.

Roof tiles not ground

Installed 22 panels, the roof tiles were not ground for the brackets as per Clean Energy Council installation guidelines. Asked the installation team on the day and they said it wasn't necessary and could put silcone sealant on some of the tile gaps if I was concerned about water leaks during storms. Subsequently called Smart Energy Answers to complain and after some discussion, they sent back someone to do the tile grinding.

My advice is regardless of which installer you use, get up on a ladder after the job is complete and ensure this has been done. I understand from speaking with industry players that it is a time-consuming process so some installers choose to skip it.

Great with good backup

Quoting was very competitive instillation wasexpertly done by the team and evan came back on the saturday to do more work to the electrics because he wasnt satisfied with computer side of setup

Excellent service and professional installation and set up. Arrived on time and efficiently installed the system and expalined the workings of it.

All very professional and efficient.

Excellent service ,sales staff was helpful, polite, just waiting for smart meter to be installed

Everything went well and smoothly ,customer service was excellent, helpful, installations people were punctual and helpful,only waiting for smart meter to be installed.

Professional, knowledable and sincere

We felt there was a genuine desire to meet our specific needs and budget. We were given price and efficiency comparisons of our scenarios. They used local contractors to carry out the work. Installation of panels was ahead of schedule. The change of meter was held up by the energy provider and the Christmas period.

Good Install, after install service wasn't the best.

The sales quoting process was great, constant communications and back and forth until we landed on something they could do for the right price.

Install day went smoothly expect they weren't able to install the solar smart meter as the installer didn't know how / didn't have the right parts - i'm not sure which. This resulted in me having to follow up as customer service couldn't understand that part of the install was still to be completed until i emailed them pictures of the hole in my meter box. they still need to come back and install the meter which is booked in for next week.

Customer service is a bit hit and miss, but they do seem to try and help which is a big positive.

Grid connection was easy, they contacted AGL who updated my meter over the air within a few days.

Smart Energy

Recommended - good installation. Finished it in a day despite physical obstacles.

Solar Kaleen

I am very happy with the service and communication I have had to date
I would have no hesitation to recommend them to all my friends

Regards Eric

solar system complete

installation was very professional on time tidy completed in area i required

everything was organised through supplier just awaiting new metre to be installed

very happy with Smart Energy Direct

All expectations met and a few exceeded!

A smooth process where they have been more than happy to answer all my questions.
Turned up on time, completed the job on time and followed up to see how everything was going.

Original Review on 05-05-2020:

Good overall

The sales/quoting process was informative and compelling and the install efficient and went as planned. The grid connection process was completed smoothly and as described. A commitment to assist with the monitoring app was not fulfilled at the time of installation and has been time consuming although I expect it will be resolved. The responsiveness to follow-up with questions and any issues has been good at all levels and with respect to all aspects of the process. It is fair to say based on my experience that this company has a good process and is committed to customer satisfaction. Original ratings

Hi, Alan! Thank you for taking the time to leave us with such a positive review and for choosing us to be your solar energy system provider. We're thrilled to know that we're able to deliver such great customer service experience all throughout the process as what we aspire to convey to all our customers. If you have any more questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1 300 732 679. Keep safe and enjoy the rest of your day!

8 months later we asked Alan: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

The system has performed well overall with the exception of the issue described above.

Overall very pleased.

System is operating as hoped and information about the installation was timely and helpful.

Not installed yet. Very disappointed with customer service.

Purchased in October and still have not been installed. Very poor communication. Initially, they promised 3-4 weeks for installation. They are blaming covid for delay but they should have told me that when I signed up. I’m very disappointed and will be enquiring elsewhere.

Excellent service from start to finish.

Smart Energy Answers provided us with first class service. The sales and quoting process was carried out in a prompt, professional and helpful manner, with the salesman friendly and approachable at all times.
The installation happened in a fast timeframe, with the installers able to accommodate my request for an early start on the morning in question. They were entirely professional throughout, and left the place tidy at the end. The instructions for operating the system and app were clear and concise.
Customer service has also been professional and helpful.
We couldn’t be happier with the service we received from Smart Energy Answers, and have recommended them to various colleagues also considering solar installations.

Original Review on 20-04-2020:

Very happy with whole process & installation

Sales/quoting process was painless, easy to understand and make decision with.
Instillation was great and within recommended time frame
Customer service helped organise the grid connection after the installation
Overall great to deal with.

Hi, Gary! We are happy to hear you had a positive experience dealing with our helpful and knowledgeable team from pre-installation up to post-installation. Thank you again for your kind words. If you have any more questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1 300 732 679. Please stay safe and enjoy the rest of your day!

8 months later we asked Gary: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

System has performed well, our first few few power bills have dropped by nearly half. Well worth while and thanks to Solar Quotes for their help.

Good job - highly recommended

The installation was difficult (high pitched roof) but the installation team did it without complaint and all seems to be working well. Following installation day there was a 3 day delay before the electrician could connect to the power box. There was then over a week before the energy retailer (arranged by the installer) could get the new meter installed ( but again done very efficiently) and another week before I could access the monitoring dashboard. I assume these delays are typical but it had not been anticipated and I was keen to see how the system performed. I can now say I am very pleased with the system and the 43 kWh produced on a sunny day . The company have been very good to work with and I highly recommend them.

Fantastic Installation

Knowledgeable Sales person, really wanted to understand our requirements.
Installation team were sensational - wanted to explain what they were doing, were incredibly polite, and did the little things & big things really well!

Only fault, was the communication post sale could have been better

Extremely happy with choosing Smart Energy Answers

Smart Energy Answers were extremely helpful right from the start. Oren took time to sit down and run through the; options, manufacturers, configurations, technologies, etc - all without feeling pressured.
The installation was prompt, professional and with very little impact on the household. We had an issue with monitoring from the inverter, which they dealt with swiftly and I had a personal number to contact and txt for updates.
I thoroughly recommend.

Fantastic and professional

The sales person (Daniel) came to my home to review roof space and best options for me. This company was one of only 2 companies that physically came out to quote, everybody else only wanted to do online quotations. Daniel was very friendly and knowledgeable and was not in any way pushy. I had asked 1000 questions along the way and he answered all my concerns and queries and assured me I was in safe hands.

The installation date came and the installers were also both terrific! Very professional and friendly, worked hard all day getting the solar up and running and cleaning up after themselves. Customer service was also great, passed on instructions on the solar app and kept me in the loop everytime I had a question.

Honestly, I was so anxious getting this done, but I would recommend smart energy answers to anyone looking to get solar installed. I'm so grateful to everyone of them that I have dealt with, from first making contact until the finalization of the install. Terrific!!!

Original Review on 15-04-2020:

Very easy to get started

Very easy to deal with and everything they said would happen - happened. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Rodney: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Performing as expected.

A very nice job done!

It was a relatively smooth process from quote to install. A few rounds of design improvements and the design engineer was easy to work with. Installers arrived as promised and finished the work on time.
Communications on progress after quotation was a bit weak..need to chase a few times to get the install scheduled.
Overall very happy with SEA and the installation so far.

The installation happened on the day advised, the team were very professional. The only issue was poor communications leading up to the installation.

The sales team were professional and made the quoting process easy to follow. The installers were polite, quick just need to communicate a bit better. The grid connection was arranged with no hassales.

New Solar Panels

Process effortless. Smooth and professional. Had no issues, but if you haggle and push you get results

Willing to listen and change configuration.

SmartEnergyAnswers offered different options based on desired outcome and adjusted the quote to suit.

The company kept in contact throughout the installation process.

Friendly crew, good job

The panels couldn’t be installed as shown in the sales quote photo, but the lead engineer was really helpful and respectful for my property and roof

Knowledgeable team, great installation.

Fantastic sales process, very informative and helped me understand the technology and economics of a PV install.

There was a bit of radio silence while permits for installation were sought, which made me nervous.

The installers did arrive and did an awesome job. Very happy with the outcome!

Great customer service

The salesperson took some time and explained everything we needed to know with regards to the systems he was offering and gave us a couple of different options. Took around 2 weeks to arrange installation from the time we accepted and took one morning to actually install 18 panels.

Original Review on 27-03-2020:

Solar Quotes does it again

Solar Quotes recently helped me find a suitable supplier to increase the capacity of my solar system. I went with Smart Energy Answers and installed an additional 5kw system. They completed the instalation on time and in a quality maner. The install team were friendly, efficient, informative and quickly in and out with no hassles. I would use them again. Original ratings

Hello Don! Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. We are proud to know that you're happy dealing with our friendly, efficient, and informative installation team. As a CEC approved retailer, we are indeed devoted to raising the bar in the solar industry differentiating with quality products, tailored solutions, quality installs and great customer experience. Thank you again for your trust and we're looking forward to doing business with you again in the future. If you have any more questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1 300 732 679. Keep safe and have a fantastic day ahead!

8 months later we asked Don: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

system is performing as expected without fault

Original Review on 23-03-2020:

Great Service

They replied with quote within 24 hours. They assessed our house and solar needs accurately. They were no fuss and no badgering! Original ratings

Hello Mike! Thank you for the rewarding 5-star review. Here in Smart energy Answers we always make sure to provide quality systems and to deliver remarkable customer service experience. Thank you so much for the appreciation. If you have any more questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1 300 732 679. Keep safe and have a beautiful week ahead!

8 months later we asked Mike: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Yes our system after one year has met our expectations and is resulting in substantial savings to our electricity bill as expected. We have had no problems at all.

Great System and Installation Service

Great System. Installation Service by David who explained thoroughly how the system works.

A bit frustrating

The process early on was easy enough. We had done enough research and had a few quotes, so we knew what to expect. Then things went downhill...
We agreed to a finance option and were approved to do so, however we were never provided with the info we needed and the company started sending invoices for the full amount just days before install. Finally, after a lot of back and forth this was sorted.
Install went smoothly enough, however the installers weren't able to connect it all up and required an electrician. We were told the electrician would be present on install day.
Many phone calls later, we arranged for the electrician to hook up the system a while later. We were also sold the add on emberpulse product. We were told the electrician would do this... he had no idea how to do it. He didn't install it properly. Later, after having to chase up, someone came to set up the emberpulse system. I called our electricity company who told us that they had not received a request for a smart meter (Smart Energy Answers told us they did this)... I then had to arrange this with a long wait. I think the system is now up and running but it hasn't been easy. I'm lucky to be working from home right now, so arranging for all these separate installs hasn't been as difficult as it would have been pre-covid.

A bit of a frustrating experience which I am glad is all over. Smart Energy Answers had great reviews which I believed, but I can't believe that I am the exception.

Very poor communication, Not the best solution.

I had numerous communication issues. An example is I was told installation would take a day, and all good. The reality, SEA has been to my place 4 times (requiring me to have multiple days off work). They came after install, and they explained a few things, but this was only as he was only visiting due to an email I sent to complain of the install (e.g. 3 days to complete, and left the lift parked across the garage, so I couldn't get the cars out).

Also the task is still not complete (although now waiting on supplier to change meter), but again this was never communicated to me. It was only when I contacted the energy supplier about Feed-in-tariff rates, where I was told about the meter change. SEA then did what was needed to trigger this, but had I not asked, not sure where this would be.

The second issue is the system. I had panels installed for a13Kw system. Yet the inverter installed is only 10Kw. So I am not gaining full generation capability. I have contacted SEA twice about this, and still have not got a response from them as to why a 15Kw inverter was not used.

On the whole, I found the experience quite poor.

Great Installation Team

Daniel at Smart Energy Answers and Billy at My Energy Group provided the best pre-sales service and patience with changes as my knowledge increased and confidence with what I was asking for. My site has to deal with shade and I was trying to find the best outcome for that. Soltek provided the cheapest quotes for comparable systems, but I went with Smart Energy Answers as they accommodated my requirements the best. The installation team was excellent. They were here all day with a team of 5 to start with, then diminishing to 3 as the day progressed and tasks were completed. The inverter was installed in the garage where requested. Stayed til late to resolve some commissioning with the optimisers. Recent installation on 3rd Nov, so early days with quality and after sales service. Still waiting for Energy Australia to provision so that I receive the feed in tariff. I already have a smart meter but I guess they are in no hurry to switch residential customers.