Sunbank Solar

Sunbank Solar Reviews

Sunbank Solar is a Solar Power Installation company based in Geelong and serves VIC. Here are their reviews as submitted by visitors to SolarQuotes

Sunbank Solar Reviews (12)

3.8/5

4.3/5

4.1/5

3.8/5

Battery bliss

I already had a2.9 Hive battery and as Term Deposits are not good I decided to go for 6x400 Jinko panels and goodwee 2 kw inverter to add to my original 12 panels with 3kw Solis inverter.
On installation I added another 2x2.9 kw batteries modular. I found that even on cloudy and rainy days I was exporting more than enough power to charge another battery. I find it quite exciting to be able to go day after day without drawing very much from the grid. Today I added another battery giving me a total of 4 x 2.9 Hive batteries. My plan is to be able allowing for cloudy and rainy days along with shorter days in winter to hopefully generate sufficient to power our home. I am not concerned about getting a return on my investment as I am a pensioner and this is more fun than Term Deposit. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. If I was starting from scratch I would go with Sunbank Solar and go for as big a. Single phase system as allowed and add whatever batteries to match.The Hive battery system is connected to my computer and I can see how much power I am using and generating.

Installation testimonial

We had our battery system installed by two highly efficient and experienced personnel. At the completion of the installation the site was left extremely clean and tidy. Fully recommended.

A great installation process

The sales team were very efficient and talked me through the whole process to determine size of system would be best.
The installers were there when they said they would be.
After the installation was completed they commissioned the system and explained how it all worked, since the install I have been off the grid totally.

Excellent Customer Service and installation

Very happy with the battery installation, the sales staff very polite and helpful, keep me informed with every step until the battery was installed.
The installation went very well, they rang and told me when they would arrive, there work was clean and tidy.

Hi Rhonda, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It's great to hear about your positive experience with us. If you have any queries in the future please feel free to get in touch with us on 1300 28 29 30.

Be careful, do your homework, and don't believe the sales hype. System is working fine by the payback is much longer than promoted

You need to do your homework before you choose to install solar panels, and definitely do not believe the sales hype or advice from Sunbank Solar. I installed 24 Panels in May 2019 and was told the payback period would be 3-4 years and the change in rates from non-solar to solar would be 'negligible'. 5 months down the track, the panels are working exactly as designed but I never anticipated the best available electricity rates would see an increase in tariffs of 43%. I now estimate the payback on my $4K investment to be closer to 10 years not 3-4. I spoke to Sunbank at length post-installation and they accepted they provided incorrect advice during the sales-cycle and offered me a $200 settlement, or remove the system. I declined both as I am committed to solar and had already spent 50 man hours getting the installation to this point and know my roof would not be reinstated to pre-installation. On the 18 June, Sunbank emailed and advised my 'quarterly bill (can reduce) by $520 on average'. 5 months down the track and the figures are closer to $100 per quarter not $520. The Govt rebates make installing solar more attractive but don't do it if you think you are likely to save money. Do it because solar is a better alternative, even if at a cost.
Finally, don't trust anything Sunbank Solar tells you, even if they get a high paid lawyer writing to you to suggest you don't go public with your review on the very poor sales experience.

No response from Technical support. Still waiting

Frustrated with no response from technucal support,have enailed and phoned Have been waiting 4 days!!
The "selling" process was off putting. I was looking for a Tesla Powerwall 2 and the inference from SunBank Sales was to continually refer me to other battery makes. And then they insisted on taping the conversation and saying they can supply any other battery if they could not source a Powerwall 2. Then after the deposit (which they demanded to be 40% of the purchase price) when the order was placed smelled to me of a company that had liquidity problems. (When I had my solar installed one provider went into Administration after taking the deposit.) At the time I was unaware that consumers can order direct from the Tesla site - at a lower price!!! And with Tesla support now in Australia.) SunBank sent me "their Terms and Conditions" after placing the order - which for supply of a battery was in part irrelevant - demanding that I sign any paper to transfer the credits to them (the original installer had received those credits). And that they had 12 months to provide a battery (any battery!!!!!!). The terms and conditions referred to itself as a "contract" - where I had not agreed to most of the terms. Very poorly written and in part decreased or negated standard the consumer rights. By saying it was a contract for the provision in 12 months this goes beyond the Visa and MasterCard chargeback time of 6 months. And because they call it a contract, then the chargebacks for non-provision of product may not be agreed by the merchant bank. The Sales person was pushy and afterwards I just wanted to reverse the transaction - but the T&C's said there was a $400 charge for cancellation. Then they work with Solar Service Group - who managed the installation and "billing". The Installer needed an AC Isolator - which he had to source as he did not have one on his truck and the Solar Group was persistent that I pay extra for that part - yet I have emails saying I had a fixed quote. Also the pre-installation inspection cost was unknowingly added to the balance outstanding - and this had to be identified and reversed. The installer was by himself and we had to help him carry the 125kg battery onsite. Installer took 8.5 hours and then had to source and extra part from Telsa. The Solar Service Group did not organise with the installer a follow up call to finish the job until I had contacted Telsa direct and the company to ask why the battery was hanging on the wall but still not working - and had been for 2 weeks. The installer then took another 2 hours to complete the job. We still dont have any warranty paperwork or the Tesla App working. I spent too much (compared to others installing the battery) going through SunBank Solar and the service / installation was a nightmare. But - the Tesla battery is now working and the house is running off the battery. What was funny was I would get a call from Solar Service Group saying they would ring me when they knew the date of the installation - and that happened three times.....

Original Review on 09-06-2011:

Sunbank Solar were quick to provide a quote and installation was prompt upon receiving my order. The installation team and sales representatives went about their work in very professional manner and I'm more than happy with the system they installed. Just looking forward to some sunny days. Original ratings

15 months later we asked Rod: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

The system has performed very well. I installed a 5Kw package, but as I had insufficient north facing roof it was installed on the west side. It doesn't kick in as early in the morning but in the afternoon it picks up and runs well into the evenings.

The smart meter was installed on 2 July 2011. In the 12 months to 2 July 2012, a total of 5112kwh was generated and 3837kwh was fed back into the grid.

(Latitude: S 38 11' 37", House 23sq, with gas hot water and gas heating, elec oven and induction cooktop)
I found your website invaluable, especially the questions to ask prospective installers. Once armed with that information I felt confident going ahead with solar.