ActewAGL Reviews

About ActewAGL, Solar Installers

ActewAGL is a Canberra based company who’s main business is the sale and distribution of electricity and gas energy. The company says that it also provides solar energy systems. They also say that they are working to encourage the use of renewable energy sources, offering support and advice to those interested in installing solar or wind generation systems in their homes or businesses. Customer testimonials and details of solar products were not available. One customer review was available, and the customer rated the company well for value for money, and system quality; and reasonably well for installation and customer services.

ActewAGL Solar Reviews

Thank you for your website.
The information about the basics was clear and provided useful information about the panels and inverter.
It's impossible to put into words my disgust at the way this project was handled by ACTEW. From the start I wasn't told that they in fact sub contract the work.
The salespeople have little experience in Solar and this caused enormous problems with the fitout and final connections. Also my electricity accounts were higher than expected and this took many long drawn out phone calls to sort. Totally unprofessional.
I cannot recommend ACTEW as a Solar supplier. I don't take this lightly.
Time will tell if my decision regarding an installer was the right one.

Actew Solar was able to very promptly arrange the installation of the system, which was great. And, so far, there have only been a couple of small teething issues. Incorrect advice was provided regarding the date of the system inspection, which resulted in a delay of a couple of weeks in turning it on. And, the timers on the inverters were not correctly programmed at the time of installation, which resulted in some odd readings until this oversight was corrected.

The system seems well priced, although in retrospect - knowing what I now know as a result of information provided by two of the recommended Solar Quotes installers - I am left wondering if I should have gone for more premium inverters and smarter panels. Also, I had assumed (perhaps naively) that the remote wi-fi monitoring of the inverters was built in. It turns out that this is not the case and that two wi-fi dongles have to be purchased separately if I want to have this function.

The installers used were prompt, timely, courteous and (inverter timer programming oversight aside) seem to have done a good job.

Customer service (incorrect advice on the system inspection date aside), has been good so far. I would have to comment however that the initial customer service I experienced with the two Solar Quotes installers who contacted me (SolarHub ACT and Solargain ACT) was excellent and - on that basis alone - I would absolutely recommend them!

Overall, even though I did not end up going with one of the recommended Solar Quotes installers, I have actually become a huge fan of Solar Quotes and have highly recommended it to friends.
ACTEWAGL used a Canberra local electrical subcontractor A1 Electrical Services to install the hardware - their speed and quality of work was most impressive, taking around 3 hrs to install 6.24kW roof system and cable up the inverters. They contacted us the evening prior to installation to confirm their attendance and arrived spot on time and mob handed to get the job done quickly and efficiently. They cleaned up after themselves and you would never know tradesmen had been on the premises. ACTEWAGL followed up only two days later and swapped out the electrical meter with the minimum of fuss. Just waiting for the inspection which has been scheduled before turning the system on. All communications with ACTEWAGL were responded to promptly and comprehensively throughout. Show additional information
While the Solarhub and the ACTEW quotes were within a few hundred dollars of each other for an outright purchase, the ACTEW deal with 1/3 up front and the balance at 2 years Interest free offered best value. By the time the Solarhub 5 year repayments option would be completed the total repayments would be in the order of $10,000 instead of the $7700 I am paying now. Show additional information
Decided to accept quote mid November. Install date end January. Apparently, due to short supply of panels. Show additional information
Time will tell if this was a good investment. The jury's out at the moment. Show additional information
The big issue for us was the required upgrading of the meter box. I'd have to say that the quotes that we had were very confusing in that some clearly proposed cheaper panels and inverter, but the end price was greater. I really didn't know whether I was being diddled or not. Buying solar panels was an experience that was more complicated than I think it should have been. Show additional information