Solar Shop Reviews

Based on 123 reviews Aus Ranking

About Solar Shop, Solar Installers

Solar Shop

Update: Solar Shop are In Receivership as of 9 Sept 2011 Unbelievable!

Solar Shop Australia is a renewable energy solution provider that designs and installs photovoltaic (PV) grid connect and remote power systems. The company operates throughout Australia and claims to be the country's largest provider of grid connect solar power systems. They have been operating for 10 years and now have over 200 staff employed throughout the country. Solar Shop says that it is community oriented and supports community organisations Habitat for Humanity, Sustainable House Day and Planet Ark.

Solar Shop Australia designs and installs solar power systems for both the commercial and home sectors, and says that it covers the whole operation including paperwork. The company also says that it can make payment easy with its Sunworks finance package which can include a no deposit deal. They say that payments can be lower than your current electricity bill.

Customer testimonials for Solar Shop Australia are available on their website, and include the following:

"From the start, your sales contact was courteous, informative, proactive; and for me very positive. Then the representative who came to carry out the pre installation inspection was again knowledgeable and positive. Your installation crew are nothing short of amazing. I work in the construction industry and to have a group of young men complete the entire very neat and very professional installation in the time they did, is very much to your credit. The level of their concern with respect to rubbish and left over material being left behind was something I had not yet experienced".

Here are their reviews as submitted by SolarQuotes users:

Solar Shop Solar Reviews

SolarShop failed to advise us that the mounts needed to be more than 5m from the point of connection (a local utility requirement!), so we had to dig another set of mount holes. They DID, however, split the cost of the digger for the second set. Installation was efficiently done, once the mounts were in place.
With ground mount, and a short run to the meter box, we maximised FiT while it was available on gross metering. Downside was that, with the requirement to changeover to Net metering, we lose a bit in the generation run (as the panels are around 200m from house).
Install was 3 strings of 10, 60W panels = 1.8kW, mounted on ground frames.
Solar shop were great I was able to do everything over the phone and email including sending photos which was great considering my time restrictions and rural location. Matt was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

Your web site was a great starting point so I had a better understanding and could talk with knowledge to the sales reps.

The main reason for choosing this product was that I have some shading issues and these panels are meant to be better in these conditions. Show additional information
I was made a lot of promises about when the system would be up and running which proved to be unrealistic Show additional information
Obtaining an installation date was difficult;

The notifying of the electrical authority and arranging power meter change was not done (according to the authority)- fortunately I checked and was able to have this effected.

The panels did not fit the roof space requiring the installers to be delayed, they did find a compromise after a few hours delay.

The installers were good.
The Solar Shop rep was responsive and very attentive to my needs and visited me personally when I had additional queries. Excellent customer service. Whilst I certainly appreciated this sites (your) assistance and advice, I found that the organisations that you recommended to be very unresponsive and if that is their approach to business and potential clients then I would suggest that their installations / workmanship would have to be closely observed. Thanks for your help tho. Show additional information
We had quite a bit of technical information then some suppliers told us to choose from that. It's like choosing a mobile phone plan - far too much complicated information. Warren asked us what we wanted from our system, then gave us choices with prices to match our wants. He then explained the difference between the choices offered. It's difficult to match prices to other suppliers as we didn't get quotes or even anyone to come to our house to help us decide. We had one phone call and some email responses which asked a lot of questions that we didn't really know the answers to, such as roof size and which type and how many panels we preferred. Even though our system is not installed yet, we feel happy with our choice of supplier as do some of our friends and neighbours who used The Solar Shop. Prices compare reasonably with other friends for smaller systems from other companies. Show additional information
They had everything organized. They did a room inspection prior to installation and discussed best possible location.

The system was installed on a Friday and immediately got the new meter on a Monday - FAB! I have a friend who took 6 months to get a meter as the electrician did no file the paperwork.

Face to Face people discussed my needs, what I wanted and gave me the information to make an informed decision.

However, still enjoy reading your website, email updates etc.
The property assessor for our area was friendly, knowledgeable, assessing the best type of system we were able to install at the best price. He provided us with much of the information we needed and also the answers to our questions.

The recommended inverter and panels were better quality systems than a previous quote.
However, being a reputable larger company meant that there is a time delay before instillation can occur - our system will not be installed until August.
I THINK that I got a good value system but it won't be installed until 14 July and not grid connected untill ????? So time will tell, if you send me a survey in a month or three I'll be in a better position to answer. Show additional information
We went with Solarshop

1. Because they are an established business of some 9 years.

2.Salesman was extremely helpfull, and we did not feel 'pressured' as happened with one of the others.

3. With the problems with Japan being their supplier, they had to change panels to make sure we were in time with our installation, and we ended up with a better deal.

Not sure of the kW, but have 35 - 60w panels coming.
Company is currently in receivership which has made the process quite stressful and harder than necessary. The quality of the installer and the electricity supplier have jaded up for this significantly. Show additional information
Let me say from the outset I was very happy with your input and assistance in addition to the information you made available on your web site, it was all very useful. You were let down somewhat by your referrals.
I do not intend to criticise the two contractors you made reference to but suffice to say they leave a lot to be desired. Trades people do not necessarily make good sales personnel and vice versa. I went with the SolarShop, not on price but rather on presentation, openness, assistance and documentation.
Thank you sincerely for your help it was /is much appreciated.
System hasn't been installed as yet but meter changeover to take place next week.

Service levels seem to be right on track with installation to be completed within 3 months from signing up - just in time for summer.
Adelaide Solar Systems were quite good as long as I knew what I wanted. However, of the many companies I spoke too the Solarshop was the only company interested in answering the many technical and system physical questions I had. The others were only interested in installing a system that in their words "will do the job;. I want to be electrically neutral not have a system that; should; or will;probably; reduce electricity bills for most of the year. My system will be installed mid December 2010.
Am I confident that I have chosen the right system??? all my investigations of the many systems on the market say I should be.
But of course I won't know that until about this time next year.
Good follow-up from the Company to date. Keep us informed on the steps involved & progress of our application. Show additional information
Although I got some quotes from Todae Solar and Nichol's, I've decided to go with Solarshop as they have the product that is more suitable for my roof and also they have Japanese brand which I believe better looking (cosmetically) than the Chinese brands. Apart from that the quote's I've got from your supplier were quiet competitive but if I had to choose between Todae Solar and Nichol's I'd go for Todae as they took the time to come over and explain the options. Whereas Nichol's just sent me email for the quotes based on the picture they've got from Google map which is very old. Show additional information
Solar Shop insisted on an onsite visit before quoting which gave me some assurance the system would be suitable and adjusted preformance accordingly. Their final price was as good as the internet only company prices. Show additional information
The price differences were quite large but I preferred to go with a supplier with local presence. I did not like their xantrex inverters so have asked them to organise a German one without a transformer. Show additional information
Barbara Hutton was particularly good & amp; was helpful & amp; detached in a remarkable fashion Show additional information
THE INSTALLERS : The installers were excellent and did a high quality job, leaving me with a very professional finished product. They answered all my questions and their knowledge of the system was of expert level.
THE SUPPLIERS : I found myself putting pressure on the suppliers to keep the installation on track with the date promised at the time of sale. In the end the system was installed and commissioned about a week after initially stated.
The reality is the quality of the product and the choice of panel, because I live on a corner in a high visiblity area, looks was the major factor, thats why I went for the black panel as they looked smart. I can't wait to see them on the roof Show additional information
Not installed yet so would like to review answers when it gets done Show additional information
The system is great. Installation was delayed because supply could not keep up with demand. The only negative was that we were not told that we had to organise getting the Gross Feed Meter connected through our own electrician. Had we been told this we would have booked him to come the day after installation. We had to wait a month for meters to become available. Show additional information
My install was scheduled for 22/12/9 but ended up on 22/4/2010, 4 months late. was at first due to shortage of inverers then they arrived and they had no panels then panels available but no inverters, then eventually they got them both.

By this time I was very worried about how my install would go, but turned out they all seemed to be good at their job and all works well. Whew!!

Solar Shop did it and they reduced the quote by $750 to allow for lost power production over the 4 months. Found it a bit difficult to deal with a company 450km from me but got there in the end
I should have waited six months and got better value for my dollar. Show additional information
There was some lack of communication and some issues which has meant it's been 5 months from my initial consultation to installation (still waiting on gross feed-in meter to be installed - hopefully in the next week or so).

Main issue is that I have a steel frame roof and even though I made this clear many times the original attempt to install couldn't go ahead as bracket fixing method was not suitable.

Had to wait a further month, but am satisified with method now used.

BUT the electrician didn't complete the install for a further month after that. Each time I had to chase them for information and then not all the information was complete.

The workmanship seems excellent, but the delay and some aspects of the service were/are dissappointing.
I had two quotes, one from Solar Shop, who I went with and one from Zen.
Both were good but I ended up going for the thin film panel due to better performance in shade.
Amorphous Crystalline System - 42 panels 4.65 kW
Best operation in higher temperatures as seen on the Desert Solar Centre website
Also can get 10 Fly Buys points for every dollar spent
Wasn't happy with SA Quality Home Improvements at all. Took a followup to get someone out and then never actually received a quote!

Solar Shop was excellent to deal with. Very happy with the entire experience.
Bit concerned because it was a big TV ad that drew me in but happy with it all the way, now working beautifully. Show additional information
Sales Rep explained how to get most value for money and how we would pay for the system through energy use profiling and not FIT or rebates etc. Show additional information
The professionalism and depth of knowledge left nothing to be desired, Solar Shop was able to answer every question put to them with much depth.

They knew and understood the entire process from me signing to the actual commissioning of the system. Unfortunately, the sales person did not make it clear to me that in Victoria there was a likely wait of two months from installation time to commissioning.

I challenged Solar Shop on this as for the two month period there was to be a no return on investment and this was to be my financial problem, to which I said that this was not acceptable. I challenged Solar Shop on this and now we will both share the financial burden of a waiting period between installation and commissioning.

I will make a part payment at installation and then pay the balance at the time of commissioning.
I found the whole experience rather daunting, with so many new companies coming on the market it is very dificult to decide which way to go. I finally decided to go with a known company rather than take a chance with an unknown company. Hopefully it is the right decision! Show additional information
Gave complete advise in an area where useful information is hard to find. Show additional information
We looked up the equipment and went with what we thought was the best value to us.
Also, the Solarshop came recommended from a friend who was happy with them.
Very positive interaction with the salesperson, referred by word of mouth. Good 'briefing' and understanding of requirements. No BS, facts nor 'push' given the current climate. Realistic advice and quote. Show additional information
The system was installed 18 months ago and prices have decreased since then. The price was good at the time and qualified for the FIT of 50.05 c/kWhr.

The salesman lacked technical knowledge (he wanted to use a single tracking inverter for panels on both the north and west facing roofs, wanted to use 60 watt panels and suggested a 1kW.

I told him he didn't understand the physics of photovoltaics and embarrassed him into the same size system using 180 watt panels for the same price as the 60 watt panels they have been programmed to flog.

Thanks for the seven energy saving tips.

Regards

Mark
Whilst a little more expensive overall, their finance plans were excellent and that is what sold us in the end. Show additional information
So far I can recommend the Solar Shop based on our experience. We did get a quote from another company which was set up in the middle of a shopping centre and they were quite a bit more expensive. This has been a bit of a minefield for us because there are so many companies out there. What helped was doing our own research first and working out the differences in panel types and where the quality components come from. Show additional information
It would have been useful to have the state/region of the installer in the "Solar Installer Reviews" page. That way we may have been able to look a little closer at other installers in our area.

Other than that, you have provided us with tons of information and follow up in a timely fashion.

Not that all the suppliers/installers we contacted have done the same :-(

Thank you for a great service.