Energy Australia Reviews

About Energy Australia, Solar Installers

Energy Australia is the smallest of Australia's big three electricity retailers with 1.7 million customers. This puts it well behind Origin's 4.3 million and AGL's 3.7 million.

Like Origin and AGL, Energy Australia also installs rooftop solar, but they are well behind in the number of installation reviews has received. As of September 2016 SolarQuotes has received over 400 reviews for Origin Solar, 92 for AGL, and only 53 for Energy Australia Solar. Their average review score is 4.1 out of 5, which is not bad and a little better than either Origin or AGL.

Company History

Energy Australia was founded in 1995 by CLP, a Hong Kong power company formed in 1901 as the China Light & Power Company Syndicate. They own 25% of the Daya Bay Nuclear Plant. That's the one where they accidentally left out 316 pieces of steel rebar when constructing reactor number one, but so far it has worked just fine without it.

Energy Australia was originally called TRUenergy but in 2011 they changed their name. I think it was an improvement, as their old name used to make me wonder who Nergy was and why he was true.

EnergyAustralia Can't Spell

EnergyAustralia’s name is actually one word and not two. I am referring to them as Energy Australia simply because that is what most English speakers, quite reasonably, think they are called. And yes, it is cheeky for someone from SolarQuotes to point this out.

Energy Australia Solar Panels

All the solar panels Energy Australia provides are reliable, tier 1 panels. For their most expensive systems, Energy Australia Solar uses LG solar panels. These are premium tier one panels that are extremely reliable and carry a 12 year product warranty.

If you don’t wish to pay a premium for premium panels, they will install Jinko panels instead, which have a 10 year product warranty.

Both these panels brands come with a 25 year performance warranty, but this is usually of little use to households. (More can be read about solar panel warranties here.)

Energy Australia Inverters

At the time of writing in September 2016, Energy Australia offers Enphase microinverters and Zeversolar string inverters.

Enphase microinverters have an excellent warranty of 10 years and are well suited for installations which have shade issues. Because they help get the most out of each solar panel, they are useful whenever suitable roof space is limited.

Zerversolar inverters are considered to be a good budget inverter and, like the very large majority of inverters, their warranty is for 5 years.

Energy Australia has also installed Fronius and Samil inverters. Fronius inverters are considered to be very high quality and their manufacturer will provide a 10 year warranty for any that are installed and registered in 2016.

Samil inverters are unreliable with installers reporting woeful support in Australia. So it is good that Energy Australia do not install them any more.

Energy Australia Solar Rebate

Any Energy Australia Solar Power system will qualify for the the solar rebate as part of Australia’s Renewable Energy Target. Technically the solar rebate is not actually a rebate, but that is what it is often called. Note the solar rebate will be slightly reduced on the 1st of January and the start of each new year after that.

Energy Australia Solar Rates

If you use Energy Australia as your electricity retailer, they currently offer a solar feed-in tariff of 8.2 cents in South Australia and generally 5.1 cents elsewhere.

Energy Australia Offers A 0% Interest Payment Plan For Up To 5 Years

Currently, Energy Australia says you can purchase a system for nothing up front and zero interest. However, (and you knew there was going to be a “however”, didn't you?), it only applies if you use certain credit cards, it doesn't apply to their lowest cost systems, the credit cards have their own fees and charges, and when the 0% interest period is up you will be charged 24.99% interest on any balance remaining, which is crazy high.

I have no idea what credit card fees and charges may apply, so be sure to check them before accepting this deal.

When a company offers a 0% interest free period it is often a good indication you can bargain for a better price if you agree to pay in full as soon as the system is installed and working.

Energy Australia's Small Print Is Hard To Read

Energy Australia has an asterisk next to their 0% interest offer to indicate there is small print below. Unlike their main text that is black, this print is in grey which makes it difficult to read. This is a violation of the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission rules which, unlike the Energy Australia small print, clearly states:

“An advertiser must not make the real terms and conditions of the offer unclear or unreadable by... using text that is too small”.

Claiming the print was not too small to read, just too grey is not acceptable excuse.

I really don't know what they are hoping to achieve by giving people eye strain. I think EnergyAustralia is a company that probably can be trusted, but making their small print hard for middle aged people to read makes them appear dodgy as hell.

Energy Australia Has Paid Massive Fines For Dishonest Conduct

In April 2014 the Federal Court ordered Energy Australia to pay a $1.2 million penalty for unlawful sales tactics after:

“...sales representatives acting on its behalf, made false and misleading representations and engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct…”

In March 2015 Energy Australia was ordered to pay a $1.1 million penalty after telemarketers acting on behalf of Energy Australia signed people up for electricity and gas plans without their permission.

So okay, maybe you can’t trust them 100%.

Energy Australia Owns A Huge Amount Of Fossil Fuel Generating Capacity

Energy Australia is one of the largest owners and operators of fossil fuel generating capacity in the nation. According to their website they own:

Victoria's 1,450 MW Yallourn brown coal power station

NSW's 1,400 MW Mt Piper black coal power station

NSW's 435 MW Tallawarra combined cycle natural gas power station

South Australia's 203 MW Hallett natural gas power station

In addition they also own South Australia’s 230 MW Waterloo Wind Farm and 66 MW Cathedral Rocks Wind Farm.

This means only 5.6% of their generating capacity is renewable. As a result, Energy Australia is one of the largest emitters of greenhouse gases in Australia.

Energy Australia Acts Irresponsibly With Regard To Human Safety

Energy Australia says they expect to reduce their emissions 60% by 2050. They also say they will develop new ways to extract and use brown coal. These two things really don't really go together. We can either leave coal in the ground and not release pollutants and greenhouse gases from its use or we can continue to extract and burn coal which kills people. At the very least Energy Australia should be rapidly winding down coal use. To plan to extract more coal endangers lives and is quite simply irresponsible.

Energy Australia Is Likely To Be A Reliable Solar Installer

In my opinion Energy Australia is likely to perform professionally when installing rooftop solar and any system they install is very likely to operate reliably. But I cannot bring myself to recommend them when they are planning to continue the extraction of brown coal in the future.

Energy Australia Solar Reviews

I really appreciated your website, Finn. The information was accessible, clearly set out and informative. I eventually chose a micro inverter system although none of the suppliers you recommended quoted on or offered me this option. However I was impressed by each rep and their information . Thank you. Show additional information
Thank you for your expert advice. Even though we chose another installer your help and knowledge was invaluable. Show additional information
The quotes provided by your recommendations were not comparable (equipment type for 1 and $1500 over for the other). Show additional information
The whole process was painless, got five quotes, picked the most cost effective, install no issue and all is working fine. Thanks for help. Show additional information
Sales person at Energy Australia was helpful and patient. Did not over state system's capabilities and was accurate with placement of panels on roof using satallite maps, unlike other installers approached who claimed panels would fit in places they could not. Communication slowed after deposit paid and I had to chase a few times but the system was finally installed within the time frame promised. I went for the micro inverters which made the cost more expensive than a string system, but I am glad I did because I certainly can see the benefits so far. My roof does not have much of a north face, so panels have been fitted north, east and west. Because of this, and the micro inverters, my system generates electricity from sunrise to sunset. Whilst I may not be getting full rated output, I am generating good solid power for longer periods, according to the communication panel and internet software package included. Being home all day and working from home allows us to use our electricity to best advantage as the sun moves through the sky. Happy with system so far. Show additional information
On site modification had to be made to cater for the stink pipe not showing on the Google view.
This caused a slight drop in K Wattage.
The alternative would have required a requote and a later restart.
We were given a very rudimentary run through and have had no follow up at all. Very poor performance for a large investment. Show additional information
I feel like I made a more informed decision after familiarising myself with solar installations on your website as well as having a reputable installer come around and give me a genuine quote. With my improved understanding of the systems and some confidence gained from you guys I felt that I could spot a bargain, I at least had a bench mark to compare to. Particularly when looking at the panels and inverters etc. I am glad I spent the time to get up to speed a bit and would like to thank you guys for providing such a great website. Now I cant wait for the installation and hope it meets our expectations both visually and in terms of performance. Show additional information
Energy Australia are the suppliers for the system but it is being installed by Mark Group? Show additional information
Installation of the panels was good however the local electrician that was recommended by Energy Australia was very poor with communication and did not turn up when promised. Overall the whole ssytem was installed in a timely manner, it was just the lack of communicatioon that was an issue.
Energy Australai were good to deal with and any questions were answered promptly. There was no presuure by the sales person
- Installers don't get back to you very quickly with the installation date or any other details.
- Takes a long time from when you pay your deposit to actually getting an anstallation done!
- Paid deposit in mid October, but still haven't got an installation date as of 2nd December from the installers.
I ended up using Energy Australia, negotiations were long & drawn out but we ended up with a reasonable system with mid to high range equipment & components, best warranty offered out of the 7 quotes I had, & by far the best price @ $3600.
Instillation was a shocker with our job being subbed out to the Mark Group, they missed the first contact completely then on the day turned up with one panel short , we are still waiting for the level 2 electrician to contact us about changing the meter over. The difference in price from the Mark Group quoate was in the order of $2500 less
I have found the industry to be very devious in it's operation, trying to avoid any written commitment on prices & service wanting us to pay more for additional warranty, never giving there best price until they are forced by one other! All just a bit suspect, if you get my drift.
Was able to get Enphase microinverters for a good price. Probably not required but gives me flexibility for the future. Quotes provided by Solar Choice were good, but not precisely what I wanted. Show additional information
Quote done over Google maps and unit would not fit on north facing roof space. Had to be installed on north east aspect, thus reducing capacity slightly.
Have spoken to many that have had quotes done over phone and Google maps and not happy.
Overall, very happy with whole procedure. May be able to get cheaper installation and rebates etc., but one never really knows. I suspect it's a swings and roundabouts game but you come out on top if you get well known top quality. Show additional information
Shopping for Solar was very confusing at times. Wanted to go with a company that had been around for a long time and would continue to be around for a lot longer.
Energy Australia were good to deal with - straightforward and good communication.

The installers were friendly, fast and competent with the install, however in hindsight I would have got them to discuss the location more with me.
Energy Australia sublet the installation to a local contractor (Level 2 Electrician) who was excellent. A real solar enthusiast who's installation was first rate.

The only delay was around the meter swap due to a lack of availability. 4 weeks later he returned & made the swap - all seems fine so far.

The only downsides were around Energy Australia's lack of pre-installation site visit but luckily there was only a $50 addition for a small change to the power board.

All in all a much better experience than I had expected.
The price of Energy Australia was a lot better for the same product. Show additional information
They worked out our usage kW/hr per day and compared what 3 kW system would produce approx. also being an energy aust customer we would need to do nothing re-connection.

We only got one to get in touch from your site (AV electrical ) they were very helpful, but not as knowledgeable. Slightly cheaper but did not have the panel brand we wanted, all in all we would recommend AV electrical to any one wanting a solar system.

Thanks Finn for your excellent site.
Installation was a bit dragged out so a sub contractor was contracted to the original contractor. A 2 story fee of $200 applied for saftey equipment which was not used by the installers & we have pics to prove it. Otherwise all is good we are now producing our own daytime electricity. Show additional information
Sub contracted to Local Geelong company. QA electrical. Excellent job. Fast efficient and friendly. No problems answering questions or coming back to sort minor stuff out. Tru energy not pushy. More then helpful with my questions. Got the ball rolling very quickly. Had installer there within 8 days. Show additional information
I got three quotes and the Mark Group were my preferred of the three because of quality of product and advice but then I saw an advertisement from TRU energy for a 2.5kw system with the same quality products as the Mark Group offered. They could not match the price initially, but got back to me matching the price unfortunately for them after I had signed up with TRU. As I am a TRU customer the whole process was painless and I have just had the system turned on after meter adjustments for the solar. The whole process has taken just over 1.5 months from sign up to using my own power. Looking forward to seeing some savings on my next bill. Show additional information
I chose TruEnergy as they had a competitive price, using known brands for panels and inverter and they were my energy supplier at the time. They were very informative throughout the process and the installers they used, PSG Boffo Russo, were excellent. They did a very tidy install - I have raked ceilings and exposed beams (cathedral ceilings) in the house and there were two roofs of differring heights under which the wiring had to be placed. Show additional information
Energy Australia is my electric & gas supplier. TRUenergy is somewhat related to Energy Australia & will apparently be taken over by Energy Australia soon, (2013). I thought it might be easier to deal with the whole situation by using a company related to my supplier. I should be able to reduce my gas bill with credits from the feed in tariff, if I get any. I have yet to get the smart meter installed, but my "old" electric meter is running backwards, during the day. It is still too early to give a definitive answer to my whole experience. The panels were installed on a frame on a flat roof extension at the rear of the house instead of two locations on the roof at the front of the house, as the other quotes indicated. This added considerable expense to the quote, but is more efficient, & aesthetically far better. Show additional information
Very punctual with the installation. Still waiting for inspection and new meter. Show additional information
I am upset with TRUenergy and the solar panel installer as neither explained to me what the inverter looked like and where it needed to go. I have a white weatherboard house and the bright blue inverter was placed to the right of my front entrance. It looks awful. If I had of known an inverter was so large and visible I may have had second thoughts about getting the panels. I complained to the installer and after about a week he came around and said that where he had put it was the correct place (on the south side of the property)and that if I wanted it moved out of sight it would cost me an extra $700.00 to have it placed on the blind side of my house. I also complained to TRUenergy and guess what I haven't heard back from them. Show additional information
The issue with this install was that TruEnergy outsources the installation to another company. It has been 4 weeks and I have yet to receive the "Safety Certificate" which means that the documents haven't yet been lodged with my wholesaler. I now have a $7K decoration on my roof. Show additional information
Like others, went with TRUenergy as a bigger, established company with quality invertor and panels. Installation was good, invertor and panels as expected, but had an issue with quality of PV isolator switch.

Flimsy outer cover that can be bent with finger, looks like should be inserted in wall cavity but is stuck on outside of brick wall. Had to be smothered in thick layer of silicon to pass inspection. Have asked for solution that does not involve silicon (like neighbours on both sides). Solution so far was to remove most of the silicon - now silicon does not actually seal the unit (??).

Tried for 2 weeks to get call from TRU, then lodged written complaint.

Got call next day from Solar Solutions team leader, but then they called back later to say they could not talk to me because I lodged a complaint (??).

Eventually spoke to Customer Relations a week after lodging complaint. Followed up a week after that to find all they did was call the person who said she wasn't allowed to speak to me (??).

TRU are now trying to fob me off, saying I must talk to the installer, who was sub-contracted by the company TRU contracted to manage the installs. But I only engaged TRU not their agents, and expect them to give me an answer.

TRU tell me the unit supplied is waterproof, so why did it need to be smothered in silicon to pass inspection? If it did need to be smothered in silicon to pass inspection, why is it OK to scrape the silicon off after the inspection? Is it now non-compliant?
I looked for a very long time and decided to go with a large retailer to take the risk out of the purchase. I also wanted to go with a retailer that were upfront about exactly what products they used, when it would be performed, and what were the steps involved. Quite happy with the process in the end, now hopefully waiting for a quick payback period :-) Show additional information
TRU customers service made promises they did not keep, ie installation guys excellent, the promise of connection to network was promised to be no longer than 2 weeks from install date.
Since payment in full received by TRU, customer support has ceased, no reply to requests for tracking number for their order on SPAusnet, so can follow up the delay now at 4 weeks.

Current experience rates TRU's after sales service as non-existant, not sure where this leaves a warranty claim???
Did months of homework before deciding. Had a list of question which were all answered to my satisfaction. Everything explained in terms I could understand. Friendly, knowledgeable, efficient work crew of three. Only took 2 hours to install. Neat, professional job. They knew what they were doing, with each crew member having assigned tasks. Arrived within set time even though they traveled quite a distance from their first job. This crew were subbies of TRU energy. Boss was the accredited designer and installer. The proof will be in how the system works and its after sales service (if needed) when the paper work by the retailer and Powercor is completed and its finally up and running. Show additional information
I chose to go through Tru Energy as they are a big, reliable company able to back up their warranty/guarantee claims and they had received excellent feedback on your review site. They were also the most prompt in dealing with me - I was having the panels installed within a week of applying. Only one of the other companies I had requested a quote from replied, and that was about 3 weeks after the panels were installed. All paper work was dealt with by Tru Energy, the installers were polite, professional, friendly and expertly carried out their work quickly and efficiently. I am now connected to the grid and my little red box is clicking away happily. Show additional information
We elected to go with our energy provider who are able to seamlessly arrange our solar system. Price was not the primary consideration, however prompt installation helped. The flexibility to meet our needs was the key. Not all providers where willing to conduct a site inspection which we insisted upon to ensure no cost escalation on the quote. Show additional information
All went smoothly, system was installed within 6 weeks, the installers did a really good job, cleaned up after themselves and explained the workings of the system and was connected to the grid the same day. So it is up and running and feeding into the grid, so in 8 days 67.9kw has been fed into the grid, just have to wait for my first electricity bill. Show additional information
TRU made the purchase simple. Sales team easy to deal with on telephone and provided good follow up assistance. Show additional information
Full instalation, panels, inverter, connect to grid with new meter completed within 4 weeks. Show additional information
Pleased with the installers, the promptness of installation and we now watch to see how much power is generated when the sun shines. Show additional information
After speaking with a relative who specializes in solar energy in NSW, he recommended a German PV inverter, along with a number of different Chinese manufactured solar panels. The company I went with offered both these. He also recommended a larger kW system would serve me better in the long run, even though it would be more expensive I would be better off. Show additional information