• With 1000s of Customer Reviews

True Value Solar Reviews

About True Value Solar, Solar Installers

True Value Solar is one of Australia's largest solar installation companies. But big is not necessarily better, and in my opinion they are nowhere near to being the best.

They don’t have the worst reputation of a large solar installation company in Australia. But my opinion of True Value Solar is still not good.

While they are better than they used to be, as recently as April 2016 the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) took action on account of their business practices.

They still have long way to go before SolarQuotes would ever recommend them as an installer.

When reading reviews and looking at ratings for True Value Solar, be aware that they have been investigated by the ACCC for paying customers for positive reviews, so there are definitely grounds for suspicion about any review rating totals you see for them.

True Value Solar Today Tonight Exposé

The True Value Solar company was founded in 2009 and did not get off to a good start. This Today Tonight segment from 2011 exposes True Value Solar forging signatures and performing incompetent and potentially dangerous installations.

True Value Solar Improperly Claimed 9,661 Renewable Energy Certificates

On the 2nd of June 2011 the Australian Government Clean Energy Regulator required an enforceable undertaking from True Value Solar for creating 219 Large-scale Generation Certificates (LGCs) they were not entitled to between 22 January 2010 and 26 August 2010.

True Value Solar was required to:

“...compensate for the creation of the certificates.”

I presume this means they were required to surrender 219 certificates that had been created.

True Value Solar was hit with a second enforceable undertaking for the creation of 9,442 Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) they were not entitled to between 13 October 2010 and 23 March 2011.

The Office Of The Renewable Energy Regulator stated:“True Value Solar (Vic) Pty Ltd was not entitled to create those Certificates - namely, the units were not designed and installed by the person who was nominated as the accredited installer for the purposes of the creation of the Certificates.”

True Value Solar was required to have an independent accredited installer return to check the installations in question and ensure they met the requirements for the issue of certificates.

True Value Solar ACCC Infringement Notices For Misleading Advertising

In January 2011 True Value Solar advertised a 1.52 kilowatt solar system as being a 3 kilowatt system. In other words they stated it was twice as large as it actually was. That is like a butcher giving you one kilogram of steak and charging you for two.

As a result, they were investigated by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and issued with infringement notices totalling $13,200.

ACCC chairman Rod Sims stated:

"Companies need to ensure that their advertised claims accurately reflect the product or service being offered."

The ACCC has reported that True Value Solar has acknowledged its advertising was likely to have contravened Australian Consumer Law. Personally, I am sure as hell that selling one kilogram of steak as two kilograms and selling a 1.52 kilowatt solar system as a 3 kilowatt system contravenes Australian Consumer Law. As far as I am concerned there is nothing “likely” about it. It is bloody obvious.

True Value Solar also undertook a court enforceable undertaking regarding misleading advertising, which means they would be in more trouble if they did something similar again. But it appears they did not learn their lesson and were investigated by the ACCC again in 2016 for paying customers to provide favourable reviews.

True Value Solar Is Owned By German Company M+W

In 2011 the German engineering firm M+W purchased 65% of True Value Solar and in 2013 they acquired the remaining 35%. Why they did this I do not know. But M+W started off in 1912 making ventilation systems, so maybe they are just nostalgic about things that suck.

The letters M+W used to stand for Meissner and Wurst. As True Value Soar has improved since the Germans took over it appears that taking a turn for the Wurst has made things better. However, they have not improved nearly enough to rehabilitate their reputation as far as I can see.

M+W is a large engineering firm involved mostly in electronics but also in both solar and nuclear power, which is an interesting mix. As a large multinational company they definitely have a vested interest in maintaining a good reputation, so I would like more people to be aware that True Value Solar is owned by M+W and its behaviour reflects upon them.

True Value Solar ACCC Investigation Into Paying For Positive Reviews

In 2015 True Value Solar began offering a free solar system servicing for which they would normally charge $199 to customers who wrote reviews. They only made this available to people who said their experiences were positive and they did not disclose that these reviews had been paid for.

After being contacted by the ACCC in April 2016 True Value Solar discontinued this particular example of paying for positive reviews. Of course it would have been nice if they didn't need the ACCC to tell them they shouldn't be doing this kind of thing.

True Value Solar Fake Reviews From Eastern Europe

The SolarQuotes site has received fake positive reviews for True Value Solar from Eastern Europe. There is no way to know that anyone at True Value Solar had anything to do with these fake reviews, but it is not a good sign. Sending fake reviews about solar companies to Australia is probably not the sort of thing Eastern European teenagers do for a laugh.

True Value Solar Bosch Inverters

At the time of writing in July 2016 True Value Solar advertising prominently features German made Bosch inverters. But while they were German made, they are no longer made anymore as Bosch has discontinued them. This is not to say they aren’t good inverters and Bosch will still back its 5 year warranty, but people should be aware that Bosch inverters are now a thing of the past. It appears that True Value Solar has bought a very large consignment of them at a low price and it will be interesting to see how long they can manage to keep using them.

True Value Solar Panels

True Value Solar Panels include quality, tier 1 brands. However, they have also used panels that are not tier one on any list that I am aware of. If you use True Value Solar, make sure the panels they install are of good quality.

Servicing True Value Solar Panels

True Value Solar recommends having their rooftop solar systems serviced every two years and as of writing they currently charge $250 for this service. In my opinion no rooftop solar system that is competently installed needs to be serviced every two years. For peace of mind I'd recommend getting it checked every 5 years, but every two years is a waste of money and suggesting they need such regular servicing is fleecing the customer in my book.

True Value Solar Prices

True Value Solar's prices are low. This is how they bring customers in. While bringing down the cost of solar power is a wonderful thing, it only makes sense if quality is maintained. In my experience a low cost system is often a false economy that results in more expenses down the line.

The good news is the average quality of True Value Solar's installations appear to have improved since they were taken over by M+W. Their prices are also no longer quite so low, compared to the competition, as they were. If the extra expense is going towards more competent and reliable installations, and better service then that is all for the good.

True Value Solar Is Not A SolarQuotes Client

SolarQuotes has never recommended True Value Solar as an installer through our ‘Get Quotes’ service. Our goal is to make sure people have a great experience buying solar and, in my opinion, recommending them won’t help us achieve that.

The good news about True Value Solar is that they seem to have become better over time. But they can’t seem to shake off all their bad habits. They were dinged just recently (April 2016) by the ACCC for paying for positive reviews.

If they could lay off the unethical behaviour and continue improving the quality of their installations and service then I’d encourage them to do that. But they are still a long way from becoming an installer I’d recommend to friends.

Full Disclosure: SolarQuotes is a commercial site, albeit one run by a solar enthusiast. We make money by referring you to installers we trust, if you ask for quotes through this site. When we make a referral we get paid by the installer. We have about 200 solar installer clients throughout Australia that we've built up slowly since 2009. These clients pay us every month for those referrals whether they result in a sale or not. True Value Solar have asked about becoming a client, but we have always turned them down because we would not be comfortable referring them to our friends, so we won't refer them via this site. In the spirit of transparency, True Value Solar are welcome to respond to our criticism, and we'll link to that response here.

True Value Solar Solar Reviews

TVS appear to operate by a very unscrupulous business model. Sell rubbish quality equipment as quick as you can then don't answer the phone.
In 4 years we have had 4 Inverter failures taking weeks to months to resolve each time. Our last Inverter began playing up Dec 15'. I called Dec, Jan, Feb, March then two of the three panel arrays blew off the roof in May 16'. The system was turned off and it has gone back and forth with TVS, the Installers and Insurers.
Result - 18mths later I am going to Court to have the system removed.
Altogether an entirely unpleasant experience made worse by the miserable behaviour of TVS.
Bosch Inverter died after 6 months I’ve lodged the warranty forms they emailed me back saying it would be fixed in 3-6 weeks it’s now been 10 weeks and I’ve called them three times after the six weeks passed each time they told me they would get back to me with a date and I’ve still not heard anything back from all three phone calls. 10 weeks on still frustrated and unsure if they are even going to fix it??? Show additional information
Quality of system- Too early to tell. Just got system installed this week. Show additional information
Stay away from True Value Solar. There is no after service contact. Show additional information
We had to turn our system that is less than a year old off because of a safety recall for a $100 isolator. TVS refers us to the supplier of the isolator to get this issue dealt with, instead of fixing it themselves. Supplier indicates it will take months for them to replace this simple isolator. TVS customer service does not respond to complaints about this.
Now our system is going to be out of service for months because TVS does not take its responsibility.
True Value rush to install the system and in doing so failed to site the panels in the optimum position and failed to set the inverter accordingly.

Demanded very high traveling costs to our location, and this is the only organization in the last 20 years to do so.

Service and Cleaning Costs are the highest on the market and they still want travel time costs paid.

I have been dealing with customer service since 15/11/17 to replace a damaged panel and to correct an intermittent fault with the inverter or replace it.

It is now 30/1/18 and nothing has progressed.
Warning; Be very careful with the inverters supplied by True Value Solar as they will break down just after the warranty expires. Although, inverters should be good for 10 - 15 years, my inverter Broke down after 5 years and if you try to get some support from True Value, you will be just shown the warranty terms and conditions. No accountability what’s so ever.

Not very True Value at all. Be very careful.
Had no reason to contact company until after second lot of panels were installed... ended up with a hole in the iron roof which leaked over time... after six plus months of phone calls to True Value Solar they eventually sent a guy out to look/ fix hole... he had no doubt the black mould leak was caused by the hole left in the roof at installation ... I am now in conflict with True Value Solar as they refuse to correct leak damage which was caused by their installers... disgusting customer service! Show additional information
I had my solar panels installed in September 2017. In December the Salzer isolator was recalled and I was advised by email from True Value Solar to switch off my panels, which I did. There was no indication of how long the replacement part would take and when I contacted IPD (the part supplier) in December I was told ëarly in the new year". Having heard nothing from either IPD nor True Value Solar I again contacted IPD on 10th January only to be told it would be 6-8 weeks, which, in effect, means I will be without my panels for 3 months. As a 78 year old pensioner I saved and did without to install air conditioning and the panels to provide the power in the hot months. During the recent heat wave I had no option but to run my air conditioner without the panel backup and hate to think what my power bill is going to be. So far there has been no contact from either company despite 1 letter and 2 emails, and absolutely no suggestion there would be any compensation. I'm absolutely disgusted and have contacted the office of Fair Trading. The reason I have answered 'not applicable 'is because I have only had 3 months use from the panels so cannot rate the performance at all. Show additional information
I purchased a solar system through True Value Solar recently & the isolator has been recalled. I have had to turn my system off until it is replaced. I have been contacted by the recall company to say I will have to wait until at least February for replacement or I can have a $100 re-reimbursement, which does not even cover the call out fee. I am now paying for electricity again, through no fault of my own. I have contacted customer care at True Value Solar re this on the 9.1.18 & have had no response. This I feel is very poor customer service. Show additional information
I’ve been ringing and leaving messages and talking to customer service people at least trying to 2 years later still no one showed up to clean my panels or surface them this is BS. Would not recommend to anyone Show additional information
All was fine after installation of 5kw inverter system, with five year inverter warranty, until ........ three years into operation, inverter fails. Replaced FIVE WEEKS later, with a brand new unit, which, when installed, worked for a few days, then failed. Replaced with a third unit TWO WEEKS later. All ok until ...... ONE YEAR after third new inverter was installed ......... inverter fails. After NINE WEEKS of phone calls, (9 in all), with long waits on hold, (15mins avg), apologies, excuses, delays and promises, True Value Solar (?), has finally installed a new inverter, which is operating to spec, ….. so far. I estimate the loss of solar production to be around $200. Surely, it is not too hard for a solar systems company to install a temporary inverter for the lengthy period of time it takes to obtain a replacement unit; or to offer compensation for the loss of solar production. This complete lack of customer service is what you will have to deal with if you are, as I was, silly enough to become a customer of True Value Solar and then expect them to meet their obligations in a timely manner.
True Value Solar ! …. an oxymoron if ever there was one.
p.s. Tech who installed my new inverter said some people have been waiting over a YEAR for their replacement inverter.
Recall on the inverter, after sales customer service is woeful, they are good at passing the responsibility to 3rd parties...

I wouldnt recommend them at all...
Now that there is a problem with the system they are no help what so ever. Show additional information
Installed the system, few months back and now have an issue, I tried to call Customer service, number of times but always heard, its momentarily unavailable, leave couple of emails and not responding since week now. Planning to raise a complaint with consumer protection authorities. Terrible customer service. Show additional information
Buyers, never pay the full amount until you get what you paid for.

TVS took so long to get me connected I received another energy bill after the panels were installed. TVS asks me for information to send off paperwork to get me connected AFTER I send multiple emails.

Then the technician comes to my house more than once to try and get the panels connected to my phone so I can monitor the system. TVS don’t supply him with the right cables to do this so he can’t complete the job. This was early October.

In between I call them and call them to ask when they will send someone. Beware: TVS’s idea of “customer care” is “we will get someone to look into this for you” then you don’t get followed up.

In early December I finally get an email from TVS and I think - goody! They are going to connect to my phone! But NO they sent a mass email detailing that the DC isolator is a FIRE AND ELECTROCUTION RISK - “you must turn your system off”.

Gone! All this money spirited away. I paid for panels I can’t use. I am going to take this to court.

Account case T499300, just FYI. I’m calling every single regulator, Ombudsman I can before I get a hold of my lawyers.

Look out: their Facebook page is so inundated with angry customers they have censored visitor posts and you won’t see anything there, nor can you leave a message.
The Service was excellent and everybody I spoke to was efficient and helpful. The installer was first class - and very pleasant to deal with.
The inspector rated the installation as excellent.
I am so delighted with my solar system and would very happily recommend True Value.
Now there’s a recall on the inverter which I paid TVS to supply and install. True Value send me an email today telling ME to turn it all off and contact THEIR supplier, you know, their supplier.

I respond saying that the system was installed in a house 3 hours out of Adelaide, and I’m in Queensland, so really, I can’t turn off the system that they supplied and installed, they will need to attend site and turn it off.

The person is either illiterate or doesn’t understand where Queensland is versus where my system is. Writes back telling me to turn it off.

They’re happy to take money off me, now they want me to take responsibility for something that they supplied and installed. Think a call to Consumer Affairs is in order, then I’ll know who is who. At least I have the email trail in case my house burns down.
Been in touch with this mob four times. Talk about the run around they are a joke. Today sat around all day waiting for a tech support to come to see me. In the end I RANG them again to be told he had to go elsewhere and would be in contact later. So they don't care about you they just blow smoke up you know where.
I've had the system about 9 months has not worked correctly since day one talk about rebate there isn't any .Would I recommend them no way.
The inverter completely died and they would not honour their 10 year warranty. They were not even willing to come out to service it. Show additional information
Purchased the system it was installed incorrectly and the rebate offered was a lie tried to get in touch with true value to sort out but they weren't interested so went to vcat won my case had four orders made against them they have done one now there time is up so back to vcat this time l will seek a full refund no more lies and broken promises from them if you are having the same problems go to vcat it is worth it they my be big but not above the law we have rights the cost of 204 to vcat will be refunded if you are sure of your facts even if you are waiting to long for warranty don't put up with their lies Show additional information
A year ago, I installed a 5kW system with Growatt inverter. The installation was quick and efficient as was the customer service. The system worked so well, that I installed another 5kW system early this year which was also a response to increases in power prices. This time, a Goodwe was installed as Growatt were no longer available. This too is working well now. Initially, the Goodwe inverter kept tripping out during the best part of the day when the sun was shining. The front panel showed a Vac error, which meant the line voltage was too high. I measured it at over 262V. Inverters are designed to protect themselves and shut down with a high line voltage is detected. Also, each solar inverter contributes a small rise to the line voltage of about 3V. It turned out my Growatt inverter was raising the line voltage just high enough to trip out the Goodwe. This problem has been fixed by adjusting the trip out voltage setting for the Goodwe. I note that many reviewers have reported problems with their inverters, but it may not be the fault of the inverter at all. High line voltages are common and can be caused by too many solar inverters nearby on the same network, or a failed voltage regulator which has also happened to me. It is the responsibility of the power network company to fix high line voltages, not the solar installer. What the solar installer can do is to ensure that the inverter trip out voltage is set high. Many solar owners are unaware that their systems are not working as they should which is why monitoring performance is so important. You want the best return on your investment. Most inverter manufacturers have a wifi monitoring system built in, and once set up is free to use. Alternatively, you can just check the front panel. Show additional information
When installed only half the panels worked, customer service is appalling. If I had my time over would not go any where near True Value Solar. Show additional information
I think it is too early to rate the supplier, because we are yet to see the output from the system. As you know it is long process to get the installation, meter reconfiguration etc. Show additional information
3 man Instillation team, boss did the inverter install and DB, good quality. Panel rails installed well, tiles not compromised, however 3 months later found all cables laying on tiles. Called installer he popped in at dusk and was disgusted, next morning all cables brailed up as should be. Thanked me for calling.
Have had auto 3 up-grades to switches etc. supplied by TVS as part of install kit.
Paid $300 for an 8 point warranty inspection (took 5 mins!) in July 2016.
However they did not pick up the isolator switches on the roof were part of a safety recall in 2014.
It was only when I paid an independent fellow to do a panel clean last week that he noticed it and turned them off.
Have just spoken to True Value Solar (customer care!!)
And they inform me it will be 3 to 6 weeks to send a technician over to replace the isolator.
Not good enough!!!!!!!
True Value are in my opinion the worst solar company in Australia. Absolutely no customer service, do not honour warranties, do not return calls. Was told their phones were out of order in "Adelaide" I'm in Brisbane and when I checked with Telstra it was a complete lie. This is only one of their many fabrications to avoid warranty repairs. Two months to fix an installation fault and then offered $41 in compensation but only if we signed a gag order. A complete joke, do not deal with this company, even their installers complain about them. Show additional information
My system was installed in Jan 2012, in the last 18 months I noticed my electricity rebates were going down, they suddenly dropped to $5 rebate, my samil inverter was no longer working, when I called True Value they were not interested in the fact that my electricity bills prove the inverter was on its way out while still under warranty, it is now just out of warranty so they referred me to Samil who can only provide me with a reconditioned second hand unit for $200 with a 12 month warranty....what a joke! Since googling information on inverters, I found True Value used the cheapest unit at the time so I am concerned that my solar panels will not last the distance either. At the time of purchasing my solar system I was advised it would last 10 years without any problems, I am so angry that True Value are walking away from a warranty claim just because I did not call them 7 months ago. From my experience I would not recommend buying a system from True Value!!! Show additional information
They were most fine and typical of a company before installation and payment. Reasonably prompt and efficient. They want the money. But geting them back to fix things is a whole other story. We had our 2kW system for 2 years and then upgraded to 4kW. During the upgrade the techo found a problem with the inverter. Is was the outside display had not been displaying. It took them a few more weeks, a lot of hassling from us and a few angry phone calls but it was eventually replaced. 3months ago it happened again just 18months after the upgrade so still under warranty. After a frustrating phone call no technicians were available for 6 to 8 weeks. This time it is not just the display its the whole system offline. So no power being produced. We just kept being told no technicians available by their staff. 4 weeks into the wait and knowing this "white elephant" on our roof is producing nothing and thus electricity bills going up and up my husband got back onto customer help and blasted them. I know not her/his fault but they are the front line and you cant get past that front line so she coped a serving and told yo pass it on and up the line and we needed someone who could actually do something about the situation to contact us. My husband got an email (they wouldn't call in person as requested) saying the had no inverters at the moment to fix ours. This is totally different to no technicians available. What I find extremely strange is that they actually have no idea of what our problem is yet as no one has been out to diagnose, troubleshoot the problem. They whole system is down and they do not know what is in need of fixing and because its still under warranty we cant get someone else out to do it. DO NOT USE TRUE VALUE SOLAR! If you do know its extremely risky long term. Show additional information
It took 6 months yes 6 months for them to accept as a customer then 3 months to install. in 2017 Jan there was heavy than normal rain which flooded my kitchen. Insurance company and independent assessors both identified that the installation done prior to 2011 used brackets to small thus the rain dams up washes back floods inside roof. TRUVALUE Solar responses for 7 months "not Truvalue problem" your install warranty guarantee has run out. My response as per article on Consmer affairs web site prior to 2011 items must be fit for purpose, the brackets and install are not fit for purpose. TruValue Solar response is......silence....ACCC here I come. Anyone up for class action? Show additional information
I have had no trouble with the True Value Solar system. It has payed for itself and made money . . It one of the neatest system I have ever seen installed .. I would highly recommend one of these systems. Show additional information
Haven't had it installed yet so can't comment on that. I used your website to check the products they are using and they're all top grade. Of the three quotes, I think I received only one or two quotes. Pretty sure I never heard from one company. Show additional information
Custom Service was atrocious from one and the other just took to long to quote. Show additional information
Installed within 1 week. Electrician came out on day 3 for a site inspection and back to install 2 days late. Show additional information
Waiting on warranty no one gets back to me with an answer Show additional information
Shameful customer service - if you have to follow up with them- it will take you ages to sort out. don't use them.. Show additional information
Very poor quality solar panels, not suitable for the Perth weather, couldn't withstand a very minor hailstorm. Go for a more durable product. would not recommend this product. Also very difficult to get through customer service. Expected the panels to last 15-25 years, but lasted only 15 months!! Show additional information
True Value Solar installed a system in 2014 with roof space damage only rectified after a social media campaign. They had no interest until then, ignoring multiple emails.

In February the inverter failed. 5 year warranty and True Value Solar state they carry no spares. Oh, that's right, they are a SALES company, with contractors doing the installs. Anyway, I was told 4 to 6 weeks for replacement. Now 9 weeks and counting...

Wish I had known what a nightmare this company is. Avoid at all costs.
Bought 5 kW system from True Value. After 2 yrs the Inverter died rang them for warranty on inverter to either fix or replace told that there is a 4-6 week call out time as very busy with service calls on Inverters. Going by all the reviews this company has been getting on others sites as well they do not use a very reliable brand of Inverter even though at time of purchase we were told that they are one of the best and hadn't had any negative comments or complaints about them, but when asked to speak to the salesman who sold us the unit told to no longer works there, ...how amazing.....
........DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY AFTER SALES SERVICE IS NON EXISTENT, PRODUCTS ARE CHEAP AND NASTY WITH A VERY SHORT LIFE SPAN.......
Myself and other people I've spoken to have wasted our money. They supplied us with faulty inverters and are not taking ownership of the issue and we are all left with products that will no longer work. I'm calling The ACCC. Show additional information
Only one of the three providers that you gave my details to even bothered to contact me and that provider said that they were not interested in dealing with me as I am in country WA and they said that they could not compete with the larger national providers. I heard absolutely nothing from the other two providers. I do not in any way lay any blame on Solar Quotes but I am very disappointed in the industry as a whole for what I perceive as exceptionally poor performance. I ended up using a well known national provider which was recommended to me for their service and product quality. Show additional information