• With 1000’s of Customer Reviews

Check Your Postcode for local solar power quotes

Energy Matters Reviews

About Energy Matters, Solar Installers

Energy Matters is an installation company that has received an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 from 208 reviews as of August 2016. Out of those 208 reviews they have done well to only have a single 1 star review. This suggests you are unlikely to have any major problems if you use this company as your installer.

Energy Matters is a national company with offices in every state capital.

Company History

Energy Matters is a true pioneer. It was founded before the solar rebate even existed, in 2005, by four Aussies with a passion for renewable energy. It grew to become the fourth largest installer in Australia.

It was acquired by the US company SunEdison in 2014.

Unfortunately, despite Sun Edison Australia (Energy Matters) being a solid business, the US parent SunEdison filed for bankruptcy in April 2016. The US based parent comany was borrowing money to buy assets and using those assets to borrow money to buy more assets and then repeating the process. This is a common practice among rapidly expanding companies. It works well until it doesn't. When things don't work well it can be very challenging for a company. As in it blows up like the space shuttle Challenger did.

On the 6th of September 2016 SunEdison completed an agreement with Flextronics International USA (AKA Flex), Inc to sell the business of SunEdison Australia Pty Ltd (and it’s trading business Energy Matters) to Flextronics Australia Pty Ltd.

So Energy Matters is now fully owned by Flextronics Australia. Flex will take care of all past Energy Matters customers including honoring all warranties. Flex is one of the largest diversified companies in the world, offering stability and bankability after a tumultuous 2 years under the gung ho SunEdison.

Energy Matters Warranties

Energy Matters only installs solar panels from Tier-1 manufacturers with a minimum 10-year product warranty and 25-year performance warranty.

Standard inverter warranties run anywhere from 5 - 12 years, depending on the model. The warranty of some brands offered can be extended to 25 years.

With regard to battery systems Energy Matters installs, manufacturer warranties are a minimum 10 years.

The company also provides a 10 year workmanship warranty, which is excellent. This covers any issues that might result from their installation of your system.

You can read more about rooftop solar warranties here.

Energy Matters Provides A Performance Guarantee

Energy Matters provides an estimate of how much electricity they expect a system they install to produce and if it doesn't meet that level of performance they will compensate you for lost production as part of their performance guarantee.

Energy Matters Is A Reliable Installer

Energy Matters is a reliable, professional installer of solar systems and I have no problem in recommending them.

Energy Matters Solar Reviews

From Solar Quote website, 2 companies quoted, Mark Group & Madison Group. Madison Group quote was competitive just as SunEdison (quote incl microinverters) whereas MG did not (if required at 20-30% more). Sunedison appointed Solar Elec to install our system for 3 phase power, highly recommended. Awaiting power company to hook up. Show additional information
Didn't adequately answer my queries & questions throughout the process.
Had to badger their solar adviser for details as required with vague,slow responses.
Communication? Not great.
Had to ask for a detailed account! Another vague answer..
The system has now been installed,but not switched on as yet.
Due to basic knowledge I gained as a result of my own research, I upgraded my choice of inverter at extra cost,( SMA Sunny Boy 3000TL) which added to the final installed price, as a result,I feel that my system will be solid & reliable, & still came in at just under $5,500.
Their post sales service has been awful. Until they received payment they were excellent but relatively simple issues have not been closed out. Both emails and phone calls are not returned. They have been advised of this. Show additional information
Very detailed explanation of what would happen by SunEdison Sales in Vic & the eventual installers in Qld Show additional information
The information from all but one quote was very helpful in making our decision. Show additional information
I bought two 2.6 kW systems, for two different properties (one suburban, one in semi-rural outskirts of Melbourne) after researching available products and discussions with representatives of three providers. Two of the three reps provided detailed information on the web, and one provided excellent suggestions to help me choose higher quality panels and adopt microinverters to better cope with problems of roof shading and to prepare for the later addition of battery storage.
The service from SunEdison to this stage (four weeks after applying for the installation) has been excellent, in terms of information, assistance with procedures, contacting installers, checking on installation and inspection, and paperwork for permissions. The progress of the installation at my house in the suburbs has been faster than I expected: after four weeks only the switch over of the meter by the distributor is needed. The progress of installation at the semi-rural property is a different story. Installation carried out within three weeks but no information about inspection or contacting the retailer for starting the process of changing the metering. This difference presumably reflects variations in the timetables of the subcontracted installers and the inspectors, not on SunEdison.
Will they ever return my call? or How do you get something fixed with Energy Matters?
I have tried to have system fixed since mid December 15 & still no date set to fix it very poor service.
No excessive sales carry on. Very good customer contact and communication. Show additional information
The initial installation, although slow to organise was completed satisfactorily with good service from the local INSTALLER. HOWEVER, 2 1/2 years later we now have a problem with a system failure and the FOLLOW-UP WARRANTY SERVICE IS ABSOLUTELY APPALLING. If you are contemplating using this company be very aware that you may have issues with the product and then MAJOR SERVICE ISSUES WITH FOLLOW-UP. Show additional information
Mark group didn't bother to contact me Show additional information
Wow did I get lucky when I decided to go with SunEdison. I noticed the local council (Port Phillip Council in Melbourne) was using them to do a community bulk buy so I thought the council must have done some due dilligence to choose them. I contacted SunEdison privately and booked in an install.

I first enquired about solar on one of those "compare solar installer" websites and was bombarded with phone calls from every man and his dog trying to get my business and all using pretty low grade kit, but charging a motza if you wanted a decent inverter or panels. These 3 companies probably give a kick back to the website. SunEdison never came up as an option on the websites.

As I have background in electronics I soon realized that you do not always get what you pay for and "cheap is cheap for a reason".

SunEdison, in my opinion were mid priced for a high end product. I got a 2.5Kw system with a 3Kw inverter (in case I wish to add two more panels in the future) system using 260w REC panels (German I think), a beautifully designed Fronius Primo inverter (pretty solid and reliable European inverter) and those new tilt mounts. I paid a little over 5K on a job that I reckon other installers would have walked away from (A two storey townhouse with a fusebox in a troubled location). NO JOB WAS TOO HARD FOR SUNEDISON - two thumbs up to the installer "Campbell" and his buddy.

Dont bother looking for the cheap as chips system and budget company as it could end in heartache.

The industry seems full of shady folks, but these guys knew their stuff.

I am a happy customer and would gues anyone that gave a bad review to SunEdison was either extremely unlucky or is some inferior mob trying to downplay them. If you wish to try someone else, then good luck, I am sure there are other good installer out there and I cant tell you who they are, howver I reckon I could take a guess at a few of the duds.

Lets just put it this way - the ones high up the Google search engine that seem to do mass budget installs are probably worthy of at least some caution
Information flow from the main company was slow to the customer, they also use sub contractors for installation. This offer was based on the Wyndham council program to promote solar. Show additional information
I gave 'only' 4/Good for 'value of money' and 'quality of system' because as per today the system is, due to not being connected to the grid yet, nonoperational and I simply don't know if it will meet the projected operation criteria, kW. I also gave 'only' 4/Good for Customer Service because at times I had to contact them few times to fix the paperwork, but at the end all issues have been sorted out as they should. Show additional information
Two of the 3 suppliers contacted me.
SunEdison was first with quality info and talked up their product.Their price was in range of previous quotes I have received over the last year or so.
The panels were installed last week and I am just waiting for Energex.
With all your information you gave me, it was easy to decide where I had to go ,and what to look for so thank you very much Finn, much appreciated. Cheers. Glenn Show additional information
Energy Matters were great to deal with particularly in the way they communicated at each step along the way. Their installer was prompt, efficient and tidy. What I really loved was that I didn't need to deal with any of the tedious stuff with Origin to change our billing. Show additional information
Think they could do with more experience in NSW, had to do some of this myself Show additional information
There was an error on the EWR so the system has not been connected to the grid yet. It is also difficult to get an answer from the energy provider because of the Christmas New Year holidays. Show additional information
Three months from the panels being put in they still haven't finalised the paperwork so we can't turn them on.... they keep telling us it is almost ready yet we keep having to call and find that '1 piece of paper is missing'. Give them a miss. Show additional information
payment upfront,3 months later and still waiting for my system to be installed Show additional information
Using energy matters meant the installers would be reliable experts.
Installation was great. Back office needed work.
You only get what you pay for.
After having a 5kw system installed - it made absolutley NO difference to my electricity bills at all.... Definately would not go down this path again.. Energy Matters very bad at customer service and warranty issues. Show additional information
The Energy Matters sales rep was very helpful.
He was able be very competitive with their price to match or beat other competitors quotes.
Once signed up the process from deposit to installation was 2 weeks which was fairly quick.
The installation was painless.
Very professional work and clean install.
Energy Matters is a Clean Energy Council Approved solar retailer and this is the main reason I chose to go with Energy Matters. As yet the system has not been installed (deposit paid) as am waiting money transfer to pay for the system The supplier has been very accommodating about this and is only too happy with our arrangement. Show additional information
Had an error message on the inverter one day after the installation, but after ringing they were very prompt in rectifying the issue, coming the next morning. Show additional information
I've had 3 friends use this supplier and they are happy with their decision. Also, I wanted an ABB (Aurora) inverter and REC 260PE panels. They run specials every now and again so I just waited and snagged it at a great price. Show additional information
This is the second house I have installed solar on, and I used the same company as last time. At a time when most solar installations were non compliant, with long delays for rectification work, Energy Matters got it right first time. As it turns out, the second (current) installation was also trouble free. Show additional information
Overall the experience from your 3 quotes to installation has been very good.Energy Matters were very helpful through the whole procedure, Colin Jago Electric the installer was excellent and professional , would highly recommend both company's .
Thank you Finn for your Solar Quotes website most excellent! Alan.

I didn't enjoy dealing with your preferred suppliers - they had poor service and quality and prices were inflated. Show additional information
It is still too early to get any understanding of the returns from our system. Show additional information
There was some stuffing around apparently due to non-availability of parts. Three different inverters were offered, in turn, before we finally got what we were going to get in the first place.
For the inconvenience, and because we had to get our electricity box reconfigured to fit the new switches/fuses, the company did give us a further discount of $500 though.
I don't know what was going on in the office but, because of the chopping and changing of the inverters, I got the impression that no-one was carefull checking the availability of the converters before they got back to me.
Energy Matters does not visit the home for a quote, but instead relies on a Google Earth view of the home plus photos taken by the client of the roof, tiles & meter.
Having done quite a lot of research to become familiar with the numerous technical aspects of solar PV systems, I was a bit dissapointed that the installer didn't immediately pick up on the shading that the TV antenna would have caused over the panels. After I voiced my concern, he was quite happy though to seek a solution & relocate the panels to a more appropriate location, which differed to his job documents. The shading problem could have been avoided earlier on in the design stage, before being sent to the installer, if a consultant would have inspected the property in person during the quote phase, as only one other company of about eight companies did, or taken more notice of the shading elements (chimney, TV antenna, evaporative cooler) shown clearly in the photos I supplied.

The phone consultant was clearly knowledgable - quite good in fact, and redesigned the system after I advised him of our time of day electricity usage, resulting in our roof getting an E-W facing system, instead of just a west facing system.

Although not the cheapest quote, I am happy with the hardware chosen & the extended warranties offered plus the performance guarantee. Hopefully this solar thing was a good idea - time will tell.

I must mention that I nearly went for the cheapest quote ($1600 cheaper) but the consultant put me off the Phonos panels that company was using, saying that Energy Matters used to install Phonos but ceased due to the varying quality of the panels. Call me a sucker, but I trusted his advice, even after researching Phonos, seeing their great specs, Phonos becoming a tier 1 company in February 2014 & there being no negative information on the web.
Only one received one quote from the companies you listed.
The guy I spoke with from EnergyMatters was extremely helpful in getting me to understand the different levels of quality and different brands of solar panels out there, and was also very helpful in explaining the inverter options. I did not want to compromise on quality, so we installed 23 REC panels hooked up to an SMA Sunnyboy inverter. Fourteen of the panels are facing North and nine of them are facing West in order to extend the energy production a bit into the late afternoon.
The installers that did the job were great guys. They were courteous, hard working and really friendly and fun to deal with, even though our home was not an easy job as it's a tall two-story home with a steep roof covered in glazed (slippery) terracotta (fragile) tiles. The installation came out just gorgeous: the panels are perfectly centered and aligned on the roof.
It's been a real joy tracking the energy production coming of this. Even though some of our panels are facing West, we're getting up to about 5.1 kW production in the full sun, totalling about 35 kWh on a good day.
Couldn't be happier. Can highly recommend these guys.
The whole experience from initial online quote, the follow up by Paul the sales person, answering questions pre-sales.
The follow ups, the finance, booking in the installation was flawless.
Great Experience.
However not the fault of the provider, but the retailer (energy Australia) and the network (Jemena)
Unbelievable lack of process.
Basically once the provider sends the paperwork to the retailer, there is a bottomless pit where there is no way of knowing if the paperwork has been processed or not ...
Really bad lack of process.
My dealings were complicated by my living in western Victoria with limited Internet access and the installation occurring in metropolitan Adelaide.
I found dealing with a large number of different employees somewhat intimidating, however I eventually got to contact the Adelaide office and found that their manager (Tom) was completely switched on and obviously working hard on my behalf. The actual installation process was a breeze and occurred as advised, with site work completed at 3.30!pm on the day. Fantastic!!
I'd also commend Energy Matters on the post installation follow up. The system was generating 20 kw a day just before Christmas.

Next step is to get confirmation of all the paperwork from the energy regulator!
A little slow getting it installed but very happy with the service and also the news letters the send out detailing developments in the solar industry. Show additional information