NRG Solar - National Renewable Group

NRG Solar - National Renewable Group Reviews

NRG Solar - Leading Solar in SA
We believe that generating your own clean energy doesn’t have to be costly or confusing.
The reality is the solar industry can be confusing, which is why we pride ourselves on providing balanced, expert information. Your job is to sit back and relax knowing that our qualified technicians design and install customised solar panel and energy storage systems to exacting Australian Standards.

We use only high quality components and the latest, most efficient technologies that guarantee you maximum return on your investment.

NRG Solar have a long-standing relationship with SolarQuotes. You can see some of our collaborative projects here

NRG Solar Pledge

- Simple, turn-key quoting process
- Quality components and latest technology
- Affordable systems with optimum pay-back period
- Financing options available
- Tailored solutions based on the customer’s specific needs
- Expert advice that’s free and easy to understand
- Guaranteed parts and workmanship to Australian Standards
- Trusted to be in business for decades to come

Our History
When NRG Solar began, our initial mission was to provide expert solar maintenance and repairs for people who found it difficult to get qualified solar technicians to work on their systems or had purchased solar from companies that were no longer in business.
We quickly earned a national reputation for providing expert solar panel system service and support. In the process of fixing failed and underperforming systems, we saw first-hand the results of previous installers who had been poorly trained, unaware of safe work practices and, oftentimes, plain lazy. We also came across many, many failing inverters.
As a consequence of doing hundreds of repair jobs every year, we quickly learned which products were the best performers and which installation techniques were safest and most reliable.

Our Mission:
To ensure that every solar panel system in South Australia is safe, reliable and providing the best return-on-investment for its owner.

Reviewers report paying: $5,400 - $8,150 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

Battery brands previously installed

The views expressed by reviewers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of Peacock Media Group, which makes no representations as to the accuracy of the reviews. For our full disclaimer and further information, see our Terms of Use and our Review Guidelines.

NRG Solar - National Renewable Group Reviews (287)

4.3/5

If you want solar - use NRG!

I would happily recommend NRG Solar to anyone considering solar for their home. Michael Summers did our initial site visit and quote and continued to check-in regularly, even after the installation was complete. He was wonderful to deal with, he explained exactly what we could and could not achieve with solar. I appreciated his clear and honest communication through the whole process. The installation team were hard working, reliable and professional. Ours was a complicated install - multilevel tiled roof! - yet they made the whole experience seamless. The follow up and support has been great, to make sure the system is working as expected, and helping us get set up on the App. Definitely recommend.

Fantastic overall experience

From when I first met Michael he was very clear and helpful about the process and the products. He provided me clear and detailed information. Installation was a breeze, Nigel was great. Zoe provided fantastic customer care both before, during and after the install. I am very happy with my system and very pleased I made the decision to go through NRG. I have already referred onto family and will continue to do so for anyone else looking at making the switch to Solar.

Battery supplied and installed within 1 week

An NRG sales rep actually visited and inspected the property and gave me a fixed price quote. All of the other suppliers gave an 'quote' - conditional on site inspection which they would only do after I paid a deposit. That is an 'estimate' - not a quote! NRG were completely up front about everything. I was also impressed with NRG's knowledge about the equipment. They gave me realistic expectations of what I can expect, and the benefits and drawbacks of having it wired up the way I wanted. They knew the system's capabilities - and in particular how it would work with my existing solar system and inverter brand/model.
Les than a week after paying a deposit, I had an installation date less at the end of that week. They delivered and installed the battery quickly, efficiently and cleaned up after themselves. The installers were professional and friendly and made sure I understood everything before leaving.
My experience with NRG was, in a word: perfect!
I have not had to draw a single watt from the grid since installation, and went through two short blackouts (one about 12 minutes) without noticing. Pictured is a screenshot from the Tesla app of a typical day: yellow is household power directly from the sun, and green is power drawn from the battery. The battery is fully charged usually by noon every day and ready for anything.

Good Quality Solar Install

Thanks NRG Solar for installing my solar system. Yours was the most professional sales/quoting process and the install guys were great. Grid connection was seamless with your team doing all the paperwork.

NRG Glenelg North, SA

Excellent service from NRG. The installer was prompt, helpful & very patiently explained the system. So far, it has all gone extremely smoothly. It's fabulous using the app & watching the collection of solar energy by the panels & how it's distributed to my home, the battery & the grid.

High quality solution to replacement of old solar system

On replacing our roof we discovered existing 8 year old panels had deteriorated with performance dropping. I contacted NRG Solar who are listed among SQ platinum installers to investigate replacing panels. Michael Summers visited and in discussion Michael demonstrated that it was more economic to replace the whole system which would benefit from the Govt rebate (STCs) which would not apply to panel replacement only. 3 size systems were quoted with expected generation and savings for each. On review we decided to proceed with a 7.7kW system. The SAPN approval was obtained by NRG within 24 hours of paying deposit to proceed, and within a few days we were contacted by Sarah to arrange installation the following week. This was done within one day (removal old inverter & wiring, and installation of 21 new panels, wiring, inverter & smart meter). The day before installation I was contacted by the inverter company (Fronius) and on line monitoring of the smart meter and system was set up. In The system has been operating for about 3 weeks and initial daily output is close to that quoted despite weather variations. A longer period in changing conditions is needed to fully evaluate system performance over time. In the meantime we are more than happy with NRG's involvement and the quality and operation of the new system.

A negative aspect is that we weren't given an Electrical Certificate of Compliance on the day of installation, but I'm told this is included in a package of information being sent but not yet received.

NRG Installation 2022

From the word go, everything was up front, all questions asked about the whole system and also what happens if we decided to go ahead / or not was was clear. When we did forget or was unsure about anything we asked and were advised, no matter how many times.

Pre installation, about a week before we were notified about the next steps (just to remind us) and re confirmed our booking date to make sure all was still okay. This was excellent! Again we we asked more questions or wanted to know a bit more about installation this again was answered in full. Emails were sent to us as well to help us understand the process and also make us aware of NRG’s Covid procedure too.

Installation day came and ‘the guys were great’. Hardly knew that they were there. So quite, polite and asked us questions about the panels layout and if it looked okay. One of them couldn’t understand why we were having some panels here and some over on the next roof slant, we explained why and then he advised along with his manager that they thought we would be better having all panels North for now as we would get a better return and all more sun in them. He drew them on a picture so we could understand more, it was great work by the team for being observant and advising, again making sure that we fully understood. They really knew what they were doing and how to get the best from the system. After the work they made sure everything was tidy again, just as if they hadn’t been there.

Once installation had finished a demonstration of our separate power point by the Inverter was shown to us. All instructions we got were clear, we just needed to have the confidence if there was a power cut as this would help us until we get a Battery installed which will come in due course. We needed to get use to the system as it stood a the moment. A booklet was given to us to advise us of our system and how / what had been installed.

Over all we are very pleased, with the Service, Service /Fitting Team the after Sales the Support and most of all with the System we have had installed. We love our new solar system and am so glad we went with NRG here in Adelaide.

I would recommend them to any one as they are so open and will advise correctly not leading you down the garden path as some businesses do. If its not needed they will let you know but they let you make the final decision with no pushy sales. I will be recommending them to all my friends.

Comprehensive quality and service

I asked for quotes from two vendors. The first sent me a several good quotes based on different levels quality, performance and price. The other contacted me and visited to examine my particular situation. They quizzed me on what I wanted and designed a system for me while we talked. They also offered some extra features not mentioned elsewhere.
Although the first one was perfectly good, I went with NRG who offered some good extra facilities, but at a higher price.
The install went well on the expected day, although their team was one man down, and the install spilled into the next day.
NRG organised the changeover to a smart meter with my power supplier. Their agent arrived on the scheduled day but could not do the changeover, owing to "isolation" issues. I live in a granny flat, fed by a single phase, with the two other phases going to the main house. This apparently caused the isolation issue. I got no feedback about this except from comments the technician had made to the resident of the main house. I had trouble getting much help from my supplier and went back to NRG, who got some email happening, and I eventually arranged a new date for the changeover, with perhaps some extra fees.
Quite coincidentally, and independently, the occupiers of the main house had arranged with their supplier to switch to a smart meter, to enable remote reading. This happened about two weeks later. I managed to speak to the technician who was doing that job, explaining to him the problem with my changeover. He told me he had no problem getting the isolation needed to do his job, and said the other technician should have been able to do it too. I am going to be rather resistant to any extra fees in light of what appears to be rather poor service through my existing supplier.

Original Review on 24-06-2021:

We were impressed with the quotation, which was thorough and reasonably priced. Installation was interrupted by rain but the installers returned on the next working day to complete the work. The communications between NRG and us were prompt, frequent and friendly - we were kept in the loop throughout the process. The installation team was also polite, and informative, and offered a comprehensive handover after completion of the job. NRG organised arrangements with the power company and all the regulatory requirements. We were delighted with the whole experience. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Cate: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Not sure that we had clear expectations but yes, we are very happy with the decline in our electricity bills and the reserve supplied by our battery. We enjoy watching the performance of the system on our phone app!

Very professional installation and personal approach from NRG

Quoting system was very prompt and professional, despite Covid conditions and the Holiday break.

Solar Panel Installation Experience with NRG

-Michael Summers who handled the sales is wonderful, patient and very accommodating. He gave as much information in a lay man’s language. His quote is not the lowest but My niece from whom I got Michael’s number is happy with his after sales service and that’s what I am really after too, aside from knowing that reputable products and services are recommended. I had recommended him to my friends and family.

- Yes, the installers were punctual, polite, tidy, however the installation did not go as planned due to reasons beyond their control, like rain, NBN connection from street went down so they had to come back to finish the job.

- For the 1st 3 weeks, there was an anomaly on Fronius data gathering and reporting. Data showed that during the day when solar power production is high (3.kW), power consumption reads high (4.0kW) too and drawing additional power (1.kW) from the grid to fill the shortage. There was no excess power being fed to the grid.(Note that only the fridge is running and nothing else).
At night when power production is zero, power consumption is down to 100kW - 300kW only in spite of more electrical appliances like fridge, lights and fan were running. That didn’t look right. This problem was fixed only after NRG Christmas break, sometime mid January 2022.

I just hope that this will not affect my electric bill coming in March 2022.

NRG was top class

Everyone involved, from sales enquiry, quote, installation and follow up. You're doing a great job and making SA Proud!!!

Extended current system

NRG provided us with a comprehensive plan and costings for extending our current panels and battery system. The salesperson was prompt and explained things with knowledge of systems and an understanding of the product. This installation means we have two different systems running with one providing to the batter and the other providing to the house, and then the battery takes over during the night. They handled all the paperwork with the energy retailer and the installation occurred on the scheduled day with no issues.

The only problem I have is that the app keeps dropping out and can't provide data to me. But I will follow up on this aspect to have it resolved.

Great solar experience

NRG solar were great from initial contact through to install and after sales. Couldn’t recommend them highly enough. Thanks Finn for all your help and guidance along the way.

Installed with Integrity

I received a recommendation of NRG Solar by word of mouth and contacted them for a quote. An appointment was promptly organised. Michael discussed needs and requirements and provided pricing, system design, expected performance and estimated savings. There was no sales pressure, just good service, good information, good product and competitive pricing.
Sarah organised delivery and installation which all happened as arranged without a problem.
Nigel and Nathan did the installation. They completed the installation on the same day, the site left tidy with all rubbish removed, and before
leaving they gave clear instructions in regards to operating the system.
The system performance has delivered better than what was estimated.
Michael gave a follow up visit to check and assist with any queries.
I have no hesitation in recommending NRG Solar and their service.

Satisfied customer

Face to face quote and information was great. Installation was later than planned but ended efficiently with a good education period on completion. Always people to talk to and plenty of information to let you know who to talk to. Slight delay with communication from Electric company.

NRG Solar system

We had an initial meeting with Michael at NRG who helped us design a system as we had no clue about solar and offered insights and perks to each size system, the length of time before it pays itself, tips for reducing power usage and to use delay timers to use power in the middle of the day. We had delays in our house build which they were accommodating for and kept in touch to see how we were treading. Jarrod and the installers did a good job on the day, keeping me updated with everything, they quickly redesigned the layout of panels due to vents on the roof that werent shown on the initial design, gave tips on where to place the inverter, tidied up after themselves and replaced the very few tiles that broke. It was done in a very timely manner and showed us the app/shut down procedure of the system.

Happy with the outcome

The whole thing was smooth and easy. Sales person went above and beyond to help me understand the system, the installation process was done quickly and with no problems. The only problem was because of covid there was no physical handover which I would have appreciated. They organised the whole process of removing the existing small system, and installing the new one, connecting to the grid. All in all, I was happy with the outcome.

The company really spent the time to investigate my roof and the best system for my household

Out of the box thinking with great system design and great looking installation

Eddy & his team went out of their way to design a bespoke system that suits my needs and gave me exactly what I was looking to achieve. The attention to detail with the design, installation & implementation was exceptional. All my dealings with NRG throughout this process have been so smooth and the whole process has been fantastic. Very happy with my choice of solar & battery supplier :-)

Happy to pay the extra for a top quality system

NRG were the only one offering what I wanted an increased endphase microiverter system price was a bit high but still reasonable install and performance excellent.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The salesman spent a fair amount of time explaining and agreed to remove and take away the old system.. Saved us dollars and worry. Worth a lot to us . Tidied up and were gone in a few hours .

Great installer easy process

Very informative… quote on the spot … technical expertise to our requirements … problem solving very good

Great quality panels

All went well, Place left clean. Only complaint was the location of one of the Rooftop isolators. Has them return to fit a cover which was the same colour of the panels. So all good in the end. Happy with the installation. Admin was a bit slow to respond to requests and every time we called "Was at a meeting".

Original Review on 03-12-2020:

Great Solar Solution

The sales person was very accommodating and took his time to review the shading on the house and come up with a solution. I refined my end solution which was no problem.
The installation was very seamless. The crew were courteous and the placement of the sub-board in the laundry was of a high standard.
There was a minor confusion with receiving the approval from Power Networks which was rectified quickly. NRG sent all paperwork through to my provider and I was cc’d into correspondence.
I have been fully connected for 4 days now and everything is running smoothly.

8 months later we asked Deb: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

I have had the system for seven months and I am happy with its performance.
I recently changed my WiFi system and NRG were able to assist me to change my network address over the telephone.
At this stage, my system has met my expectations as well as the company NRG.

Professional, detailed, thorough, great service

NRG were the most thorough as ours was a complex install, with very good customer service and response times and helped at all the critical points in the process.

Fantastic service from NRG Solar

We recently had a Fronius 8.2kW inverter and Winaico 375w Gemini solar panel modules system installed.
The sales/quote process was brilliant, and involved detailed explanations of the system best suited to our needs, the costing and how to get the best use of the system.
The installation team were professional. polite and friendly. The team leader consulted us whenever a change to plan was needed to improve installation. They were punctual and left the site clean and tidy after completion.
The customer service was of very high quality. The office staff provided excellent liaison between us and the firm. follow up calls were made to check that we were happy with everything.
We are so happy with their service that we have now arranged for NRG to install a Tesla storage battery.

Would recommend!

- Informative team who ensure you know everything about your solar options and system.
- Excellent aftercare
- 24/7 tech support after installation

NRG solar installation.

We are very happy with the whole process. Everything was explained in layman terms by Michael so we could understand it.

Installation day was a breeze. Polite guys, Doug, Joe, Cody and Paul knew what they were doing.

We have had follow up phone calls asking if we have any problems, and advising us what they are reading there end, to ensure all is running as it should be.

Very happy and would recommend to friends.

Happy with my service

I ended up choosing the company that came to visit my site and had direct contact with me about solar needs. It was a good price and I felt supported with the patient after quote questions I had.

Original Review on 27-08-2020:

Professional service and excellent quality.

Sales person came to our home and was knowledgable and helpful. All office staff have been friendly and efficient. Tradesmen were tidy and punctual. Original ratings

Hi Karen & Ray,

Great to hear our staff were knowledgeable and the tradesmen were neat and on time, we will pass on the good review to the staff!

Sunny regards,
NRG Solar!

8 months later we asked Karen and Ray: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Yes. Very happy with system.

Good system, good installers, good experience

Steve did the quote, he was the only person to come onsite to check what was needed. Installation went smoothly, and the system performs better than the quote estimated.

Great Installation

Very pleased with the all personal involved with initial quotation, installation and follow up. Installation team arrived on time, worked efficiently and ensured the property was left clean and tidy on completion.

Job well done

The entire process was almost impossible to fault. The system we chose was in the middle of the 5 systems quoted, not the cheapest nor the most expensive. The installation was done in a day and they found a problem when they were reviewing it but came back to fix it within a couple of days.

Great installation

The team from NRG gave excellent service, right through from the initial consultation to installation. Never at any point were we left wondering about any aspect of the deal. I was particularly impressed with the installers who were friendly and really efficient.

However, I am still waiting for Sarah from NRG to call us back for our 'debrief'. That is the only hole in the process at the moment. Everything else was excellent.

Great Experience

I got seven quotes from different installers, five of which were in-house consultations. All systems quoted were the same size and brands.

NRG Sales was exceptional, and was a big part of getting me over the line.

NRG Install Coordinator was also very good, and the level of support I received confirmed that I had made the right decision to go with NRG.

The install went as planned, and the NRG contractor was very knowledgeable and accommodating of my questions. The drone photos of the roof panels was the cherry on top of a very good solar experience!

Overall Great Experience

Our experience with NRG was great throughout the whole process.

Over a period of around a year we obtained approximately 10 quotes for solar systems from different companies. Whilst the degree of service varied from average to excellent, NRG was the only company who actually came to our house rather than soley relying on images from nearmap. Michael took his time to understand the site, including shading impacts and the change in elevation that is not obvious from satellite imagery, as well as listening to what we were hoping to achieve and the size of system we wanted.
The system we ended up purchasing was more expensive than any other system we were quoted, however we were able to confidently make this investment due to the fact that we knew Michael understood the site (and even reduced the panel efficiency to 60% on the quoted system to account for shading issues), meaning we felt that we were less likely to get caught out further down the line.

Amelia handled the production side of things, and liaised regularly with us to find a suitable installation date as we waited for our roof to be refurbed before the system was installed during a wet spring.

When installation day arrived, Dan and Joe were well presented, very professional, and liaised regularly during the day with any updates or questions - even with the pressure of a snap-lockdown being announced to commence the next day!

Customer service was great for the whole journey, with all systems and connections arranged promptly, and support available whenever required. Highly recommend NRG!

Thank you team NRG!

Super pleased & impressed with our new NRG PV system. Got to say the whole process was awesome from the POS to post-delivery follow-up. Michael provided relevant information in a very personable fashion, with regular and important updates/advice by Sarah leading up to installation…this was certainly welcomed and appreciated. Finally, the install crew, Dan & Cody…..professional, efficient & most importantly super tidy! Eddy has got a great team and wouldn’t hesitate in recommending NRG.

A seemless transition to cheaper living

Dealing with Michael, Sarah and his team of installers, Daniel & Stephan, was completely effortless. They were very transparent in everything from start to finish, on time, presentable and true to their word. The product itself is awesome. Has worked brilliantly to lower our power bill from day one.

Under advisement, we had a 7.92kw system installed and are very happy. Should've done it years ago. I would highly recommend NRG Solar.

Original Review on 10-06-2020:

Very Professional.

It started by the receptionist contacting me to arrange an appointment for the evaluation, site inspection and the discussion on what I wanted to what the company could do. The quote came back, concise and straight forward. Installation day was organised and efficient, with all rubbish removed, with the crew well managed, professional with good presentation. The system is easy to access with prior arrangements conducted by the company, with answers to any immediate question that I rose! Original ratings

8 months later we asked Kym: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Initially no, but not because of NRG, the were brilliant! But the energy market sucks! Limited to 5kw input really puts the collar on the system! Just with the solar system I was still getting power bills! Ducted A/c for heating and cooling as this is predominately cheaper! So I bit the bullet and put in a battery, accepted the energy plan on offer and happy as can be! In effect I’m off grid but supplying excess to the grid! The solar sytem I had installed was a 6.6kw, but there was another system that was installed in shaded area. At the time I wanted it replaced but when the authority came through, I’m actually licensed for 8.8kw. So I left it in place! Now the neighbour has removed one of the trees and wamo! 7.4 kw regular! So in the end, happy! Took the Tesla battery because of A, The Rebate and B, the energy plan on offer from energy locals! When I was asked who my new retailer was, the old knew they couldn’t compete, and the phone call didn’t last long at all! So all in all, very happy, though pricy! But I’m looking at the long game!

Good Service

Installers were great. Everything has gone well from start to finish. Only issue is with Fronius monitoring. It is not showing production, import and export as it should. Notified NRG on Friday and am waiting for them to get back to me.

Fantastic customer service all round

The sales person explained everything in lay mans terms. The customer service from the main office was fantastic and kept us informed every step of the way. The installation team was absolutely outstanding.... nothing was too hard for them they were very professional.

Fantastic installer

I have my 6.6 Kw Solar system installation done by NRG. My decisions of the panels was probably the most difficult part of the system. I have opted for 20 x Winaico WST-M6 series. The inverter is a Sungrow .
The installation was done in a day with the team arriving on time and giving all the informations needed after the completion of the project.
The experience was great and I would recommend NRG to anyone who would like to have a good system installation with the technical support for all the questions you may have.

Outstanding service and support

I can't speak more highly of the service that NRG provided for us. Michael visited our house when we first started looking for solar. He ran through multiple system options and easily found the best solution to suit our circumstances. He remembered us when we next contacted him to revisit the solar option almost 2 years later. He checked in with us during the install and again a week after the system was installed.

Sarah managed the paperwork, emails and documentation, clearly explaining every step of the process, nothing was too much trouble. Their online videos are an excellent resource that will give you peace of mind with those questions that pop up at odd times.

Jordan & Stefan installed the system. They made sure we were informed & involved in every step of the installation. They were polite, respectful and worked around our needs, they even cleaned up after themselves.
We're extremely happy with the service and product and highly recommend NRG for your solar solutions.

Smooth and Efficient Process

All people we dealt with were competent and helpful. We were impressed with the overall coordination.

Very happy that we chose NRG.

We spent quite some time talking with a number of potential solar suppliers and installers trying to find a company who would do a good job but who would also not approach our job with a cookie-cutter “one size fits all” approach.
We chose NRG as we were really impressed with Michael’s considered approach and his patience in making sure we understood all our options and the pros and cons of each choice. He spent time with us and we felt that we received tailored expert advice with reasons for each suggestion and without pressure.
The installation was complex and reasonably large. Jarrad and Alex, the installers, were efficient, smiling, and extremely competent. As planned it took a number of days to complete. We had also requested that they move our fuse board which created some unexpected challenges for them but they addressed these and everything was done neatly, on time, and very much to our satisfaction.
Amelia who managed our install from the office was also very friendly, helpful and supportive.
Overall we are very happy and would have no hesitation in recommending NRG to our friends.

NRG Solar Installation

We have recently had a 15kW system with Winaico panels and Fronius inverter installed and we are very happy with the service and quality we received from NRG Solar.
The first consultation with Michael Summers was very professional and knowledgeable, giving detailed explanations.
Installation was great; Dan and Joe were punctual and efficient and ensured a seamless installation of the panels.
Thank you to Amelia for overseeing the admin. You were very helpful and professional.
We would recommend NRG Solar to family and friends.

Battery installation

Very happy with the installation, neat and tidy and clean. Good crew of guys who were on time and very polite. I have recommended NRG to my circle of friends.

A job well done!!!

The sales quoting process was painless.
The installation was excellent, the crew were tidy and efficient and turned up on time.
Customer service was excellent

NRG exceeds expectations

I chose NRG as I was focussed on Quality & Performance over a cheap deal

When Michael came to quote, he was interested in designing a system that met my criteria instead of pushing an ‘off-the-shelf’ system, and was happy to re-quote several times as I kept changing my requirements

Sarah and the girls in the Office were very efficient with contact made every step of the process and, when I had some technical questions, they were able to explain in a manner that was easy to understand

The Installation Team (Nigel and the Lads) were prompt and very professional. Nigel took the time to explain the installation to me and ensured everything was functioning well on handover.

Overall a stress-free experience and I would recommend NRG to anyone looking to ‘Go Solar’