Captain Green Reviews

Captain Green
Gold Partner
ABN: 19 145 762 170  ABN active since 13 Aug 2010 | Captain Green Pty Ltd
ACN: 145 762 170  ACN active since 13 Aug 2010 | Captain Green Pty Ltd
Electrical Contractor's Licenses:   (learn about electrical licenses and buying solar)
NSW: 241986C Captain Green Pty Ltd

SA: PGE 291168 Captain Green Pty Ltd

TAS: 15607023 Captain Green Pty Ltd

VIC: REC 28412 Captain Green Pty Ltd

Reviewers report paying: $3,000 - $9,000 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

Captain Green Solar; one of the longest serving solar companies in Australia, was born a decade ago in 2010. The name, Captain Green, was chosen to reflect the notion of a 'Leader' or 'Captain' in the field of energy efficiency with the ability to assist residential and commercial customers in the many aspects of being green, saving money and the environment. Later on, the company expanded fast with a strong focus on renewable energy products, particularly solar power.

We knew that the solar market was evolving, and we wanted to build a solution that was a game changer for our customers. We wanted to see what would happen if we combined all of our experience, along with top notch skills, and cutting edge technology to form a company that is focused on 'making high quality solar affordable' to all Australians.

Over the past 10 years we have grown to be one of the top solar retailers in Australia. We have taken lessons from the hundreds of solar companies that are no longer in business and learnt from their mistakes. For this reason we stand by our company, our products, and our commitment to success. We take enormous pride in delivering top of the line solar products at unbeatable prices!

Captain Green Solar Reviews

I am happy now

I got a great 6.6kw pv system with a 5kw sma inverter. A few weeks prior to install date got a phone call saying that the inverter I wanted was on delay to due a few factors ( bushfires & current coronavirus pandemic). I rang a independent supplier and found the inverter I wanted in 5mins. And on day of install there was a communication issue with the installers
( English wasn't the best but we managed to get that sorted out ) and when I asked to see the products ie panels and inverter, the inverter was the wrong one so they organized to get the proper one brought down from sydney and on inspection it was the wrong inverter again. So the installers had to wait for the proper one to get brought down by courier and at this stage it was 430pm in the afternoon. Job was completed as per my requirements and now Just waiting for the meter exchange to take place which might take a while due to the current pandemic in the country. Besides the breakdown in communication with goods in stock I was happy with the outcome and all documents and warranties were given on completion of work.

13.2kwh Berowra Heights

Captain Green listened to my requirements and made suggestions as to how to best solve them. Show additional information

Good sales service better sub contractor

Hi, I had my solar done by captain green solar. I got several other quotes where the sales person came out for an hour talking etc. I decided on captain green due to pricing basically and a friend went with them. I got a 6.6kw system with a 5kw inverter for $4500. Others quoted me $5700 for the same system with similar low to mid level panels.

Captain green did everything over the phone and after I put a $100 deposit down then I had to take photos of roof etc which I wasn’t told about. No big issue. It only took 3 weeks from first deposit to installation of the system and seeing I am 3hrs north of Sydney that seemed reasonable.

The sales personnel for captain green didn’t seem to communicate that well between themselves because a few times I got calls from one dept or another asking for items info etc I had already supplied yet again not a big deal.

The sub contractor for captain green were very good at least thats my opinion. Looking at the system on the roof it appears neat and tidy, a few brackets are not aligned correctly but hopefully that is just athestics and nothing else.

Mark/Matt helped with any and all questions I had and assisted with the wifi install and app programming for the fronius inverter I got. Lovely family of installers really. Couldn’t fault them..cleaned up after themselves, I didn’t get a phone number for them so I could confirm when they would arrive. Even though I did ask captain green. The sales lady said they’d be there between 7-9am gove of take. Grid connection was also sorted by captain green.

First full day of solar and my system cranked out 35kw so cant complain.

My advise. Just get several quotes and if they start at $6500 tell them you’ll give them $4500 and I’m sure they’ll almost take your business from there...

Thank you.

Great Installers

All very easy to deal with.
Knew their product and answered all questions.
Quick installation.

Very satisfied

The whole process from initial contact to completed installation was quick and very professionally managed.
Quality of workmanship is very good and the system is working right up to capacity.

Very satisfied overall.

Reputable company with very high quality installation

Sales was good - did not need to attend on site because I had had a previous onsite quote and they could substantially better that quote. Uses reputable brands at the more affordable end of the spectrum. Installation electrician and worker were sensational - very thorough and tidy job. Provided all information needed on the spot to get it connected to wifi for monitoring and to contact my electricity provider for the meter upgrade/connection. Show additional information
They seem to know their stuff and there are no complaints. Communication was good leading up to installation. They disappeared off the radar though after the work was completed. Not really a problem in our case so all good. We have had our system for 18 months. Show additional information

Great value & helpful polite installer

Couldn’t get a better price and done in quick time, the installers where on time, cleaned up there mess & me being old and not up with the time helped us understand how to use and understand, once everything went through the after sales service was good and our bills went down really quick. Show additional information

Don't waste your time, all negative reviews are true

I got approved in Oct 19 been waiting 4 months for an installation date. Finally gave me a installation date and installation didn't occur. Didn't communicate with me either about it, I had to keep following up with them.

Provided me a quote and then told me they couldn't do what the quote said 4 months later, kept making excuses and said it was too difficult. Electrician came onsite and he told me that I could have the bigger system, yet the sales people keep lying and telling me that I couldn't even though the installer said I could, kept telling me different stories and changing there mind, no one followed up and got back to me. Wouldn't let me speak to a manager as he was too busy. The don't answer there phones when you call and never call back. Most unprofessional company I have dealt with. Taking my business else where.

Hi Gilles

We received your QR code from Solar Victoria on November 29th 2019.
We have since been in contact many times with yourself in regards to your installation, at that stage all our customers were notified we had a slight delay before Christmas and we would be at na installation around the first week of Feb in 2020 - As soon as they returned to work we booked in a site scope at your property.

When the Installation Team were on site you were notified by them that if a 6.6 kw system would be quite expensive given the nature of your property and was not realistic to do. At no stage were you advised that the 6.6kW system was viable
- You would only be able to export 2kw to the grid
- The extra costings was not included in the scope of works & the additional costs involved were not feasible.
- You stated you could not have conduit showing due to your body corporate.. Which also complicated the matter further.
- Your request for placement of the panels were not practical either.

Our team has always accommodate your requests to the best of their ability, but due to the additional requests being variations to your original order we were not able to proceed with the installation as you were not willing to come to the table with relation to the variations.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Captain Green Team

Overall great experience

Great straight advice during the quote and sales process. Installation was excellent, professional and efficient, the boys did a great job on the hottest day of the year.
Absolutely would recommend them to anybody.

Prompt service very good installation

The sales staff were very helpful and consistent
The installation was quick and precise and the staff helped me with organising the grid connection
Highly recommend Captain Green for any solar installation

Good price, quality buy slow installation

Captain Green's staff were professional and helpful. The intstallation was professional and neat. The only issue was that inverters were not available, which meant from time of deposit being paid to system being installed was two months. Otherwise a good experience. Show additional information
Captain Green was also recommended by you. I found them to be courteous, responsive and willing to negotiate. I felt
the first two suppliers were a bit pushy and not as responsive.

Hello

Thank you for your kind words.

We appreciate the time taken to leave this review.

Contractor installer incompetent

Regret to choose Captain Green to install my solar system, will not recommend this company!
Sales process was okay, I just needed to follow up and call them to have my installation date scheduled.
They supplied to me the needed documents for grid connections that I personally organised to my electricity retailer.
Installation was done after about 5 weeks of paying the deposit.
Installed system were 6.6 Kw q peak duo g5 composed of 20x330 watts panels and 5 Kw Fronius inverter.

The installation was done by incompetent contractor.
>Contractor Installer composed of 3 people that arrived late and disorganised.
>No planned layout of the panel rails arrangements, ending up cutting some rails into pieces and rejoined to be used on the other side of the rails installation.
>Main contractor was not a CEC accredited installer, employed/partnered licensed electrician and cec accredited installer.
>Main contractor left the site after arranging the “finger plan” layout, leaving the brackets and rails installation to the less experienced electrician and cec accredited guy. He got back after about 2-3 hours in mess.
>Electrician and CEC Accredited Installer seemed not familiar about simple electrical connections.
>Electrician failed in two occasions to identify the male and female electrical plug connector as he spliced the plugs for the return cables of the panel.
>Used pvc cable ties for the electrical cables on the rails.
>Broken 5 roof tiles and never informed me about the breakages, I did the replacement by myself as they don’t care to replaced them.
>Rubbish management was so bad including cigarette butts.
>Installation was not finished on the day they started, they came back the next day to complete electrical works minus the licensed electrician and cec accredited installer.
>The Electrician asked me to sign documents including the Electrical Work Completion Certificate on the first day of installation to which obviously the electrical works were not completed yet, then I refused to sign.
>Inverter commissioning was done, but the wifi connectivity was not, I did by myself the inverter web connection and wifi connectivity.
>After the replacement of the old meter with new net meter, I found out that my solar system was running under capacity, peak output was only at 2.8 Kw most of it came from MPPT1, as MPPT2 produced only less than 1 Kw all days I observed and monitored.
>Complained to Captain Green solar and e mailed the photos of the inverter outputs, then called up to follow up, and was told that my case had been forwarded to technical team which will call to me on that day, but no call happened to resolve the issues.
>I contacted directly to the contractor and he promised to come and checked the problem.
>Take more than a week before the installer came and troubleshoot the problem.
>Problem was found at the electrical connections on the pv arrays connected to MPPT2.
>Wrong connections were done at return cable connectors from the arrays of 4 panels to the arrays of 8 panels.
>Dc+ connector plug was connected to dc- at return cables, almost disabled the whole arrays of 12 panels facing west.
>After the corrections done on electrical connections, my solar system output went up to 5+ Kw, which I am happy as I got what I invested.
The system is not currently working as it should. After discussions I have contacted the local energy supplier about the matter and they tested electricity supply to my house. It appears there may be too much electricity coming to the house and they will reduce it within 30 days of testing. Once this is reduced, perhaps the system will operate correctly. Currently it works then stops for long periods before kicking in again. I am not happy yet and will consider the outlay to be worthwhile once the system is working correctly. At this stage I do not know if the fault is with the electricity supplier or a faulty system installed. Time will tell. Show additional information

Quick and Easy Process. Great Installer.

Sales people were quite good, bit of back and forth getting the right system. Paid ~1k more for better quality system compared to the cheaper prices.
They had to reschedule the installation once, communication could have been a little better but they were always helpful when I called them. Ended up being 7 weeks from sales to install in a "rural" area.
Matt came and installed the system and set-up/connected the inverter and consumption monitoring, they were all done in 6-7 hours. He was very flexible easy to deal with.
Had read a couple of negative reviews about them but can't fault my experience.

Superb installation

Good quality work and quick installation, good workmanship, knowledgeable team, service was good. Show additional information

Easy process

We had an existing 1.5kW system that was installed 7 years ago. We were looking to replace or upgrade. Captain green initially provided a quote to add a new 3kW system onto our back roof (quote: $2600 using Jinko panels & growatt inverter). Another company then called me 3 days later and they suggested removing the existing system and installing a 6.6kW system - they provided several options ranging from $6-10000 (using better quality equipment: lg, fronius, etc)
Captain green called me back that same day and said they could also remove existing system and install 6.6kW for $3941.
I then got a call from another different company a few days later. I felt the guy was quite rude, aggressive and very dismissive of the info I had got from the other installers. They quoted $4500 to remove and install a 6.3kW system (using jinko panels and sungrow inverter).

A week later I decided on Captain green as the price was more acceptable to the wife. If I had more money to spend I would have gone with Soltek. We agreed a price of $3800 for 6.6kW

Install took a few weeks as they had a shortage of jinko 330 watt panels. The 3 install guys were very efficient and friendly. I ended up having to drop a panel due to roof space, so ended up with a 6.3kW system - Captain Green took $50 off the price so final price was $3750.

Panels have been operational for a couple of weeks and by my estimates have wiped out my electricity bill. I estimate a payback period of 2 years, so I am very happy with this purchase.

Excellent service

Prompt, attentive sales/quoting who listened to what I wanted.
Punctual, tidy & polite installers. Nothing was too much trouble even in the 35+ heat.
Still waiting for the follow-up call from company but only been 2 weeks so all good

Happy with whole process, just waiting on net meter installation

Waiting for the net meter to be installed by Origin Energy. Once the system is up and running will be more than happy to write a longer review. Show additional information

Great value system. Slightly slow on installation and communication.

Quotation was best price/quality balance we found - Jinko panels and Growatt inverter. Sales interface was fine when I had any questions prior to kickoff. The company is NSW based and have contract installers here in VIC where we are. On the day of the install (about 4wks after quotation), we were pleasantly surprised to see an upgraded spec inverter (with 10yr warranty), and larger panels (315W to 330W). It was the install process that didn't quite rate 5 starts due to less than ideal planning and communication. There was no issue with the quality of the hardware used (rails, cabling, isolators, etc...) I am reasonably knowledgeable about PV installs, so was onsite when needed, to ensure I got my preferred location for the inverter. Knowing all this, I have still requested the company to give me 3 more quotes on other properties, for friends and family, and provided constructive feedback to the actual installer. Show additional information
At this stage I have only paid a deposit with an installation date of May or June Show additional information

Disappointing service

After agreeing to go ahead on the same day paid a deposit from then on the service went downhill from there! They cancelled installation twice after me taking the days off work to wait for them and then silence for weeks with nothing rescheduled. In the end I found another supplier and requested my deposit back due to failure to supply what they promised. They deducted 10% admin fee on the deposit!!! What a terrible customer treatment when it was all their lack of service. I am sure this is contrary to consumer laws.
The alternative supplier had a better quality product which was a bit more expensive but at least I got good service and a solar system!

Captain Green apologises for any inconvenience caused due to cancellations. We tried two different teams but due to the steepness of the roof and safety concerns we could not completed the installation for the quoted price.

Captain Green has not deducted an admin fee. Our merchant has a flat fee for refunds done via credit card. Captain Green will reimburse you for this.

Disqualified installers and bad outcome

I do not recommend this company. They suppose to install 32 panel but installed 31 panels. They sent general labour with no experience instead of professional and qualified tradesmen. I asked them for licences and they became upset and left site on first day. They made 1 month delay on their job. I didn’t go to work for 6 days because each day their labour came and after one hour left job. Even their labour’s couldn’t put tiles back properly!!!! At the end I did report it to fair-trading and ACCC (watch fog). Never use this company!!!!

Hi,

In Reply to your review for Solar installation by Captain Green PTY LTD

Electrician _________ Contractor Licence No ______C and CEC Installer Accreditation No A______ attended site 12/10/2019 and completed the bulk of the electrical work for the installation.

A worker and an offsider both with working at heights and white cards attended site on the 19/10/2019 however this was an extremely windy day so they asked if they could return on the following Saturday 26/10/2019 which they did.However Houman then denied them access and stopped the job from going ahead due to your belief that all workers must have electrical contractors licence and be accredited CEC installers.

Worker unpacked all the material for this job onsite and left.

The work that the worker and his offsider were going to perform is the installation of the roof brackets, railing and panels.

According to NSW Work Health Safety Legislation the installation of the roof brackets and railing is not required to be completed by a Licenced electrician/CEC Accredited installer.

The licenced electrician and CEC accredited installer was going to attend site later in the day on the 26/10/19 to complete electrical work commission the system and sign off on the installation but did not as you denied access to the workers that attended to complete the roof bracket and railing.

The contractor that returned to complete the work is _______ Contractor Licence ____C and CEC Accreditation No A______

He did not install 32 panels as 1 panel was going to be shaded by your Aerial and this would have affected the performance of the whole system. We have offered to return and fit the panel once you have removed the aerial.

We discounted your invoice accordingly for the panel not installed and even gave you a further discount as per your request

We believe your review is false and misleading for the following reasons,

1. You claim we used unlicensed personel for installation as per above this is not correct

2. Your claim of being quoted 32 panels but we only installed 31 panels implies Captain Green made you pay for something you did not receive.

I believe Captain Green has done everything in a professional and courteous manner and we will continue to do so in any future interactions we have with you
The installers Henry, Richard, and Mahmood were very professional and carried out their work efficiently, as the system has just been put in I can't comment on anything else at this stage.

Hi Alex

Thanks for your review.

Professional team

price competitive very helpful well organised took me through the process delivered on time Show additional information
Was installed within 2 weeks of approval.

Hi Ren

Thanks for the review!

CGS Team

Good Communication, Friendly Staff and on-time work!

I got my solar system installed in June from Captain Green. They were extremely helpful during the sales/quoting process (especially Dominic). Installation was smooth and product was as described, previously another installer had told me it was impossible to fit this size system on my roof but Captain Green arrived and did their work professionally and as promised. Customer service was above and beyond with them even sending a $100 gift card for referring a friend. Show additional information

Fantastic Support

Awesome support throughout the description, specifying, quoting, and application for approvals processes. Staff readily and clearly gave as much over the phone and online help as was asked for. Excellent rugged panel system and very neatly installed electrics. Performing exactly as quoted. Can't recommend more. Show additional information

Very good sales service, neat installation. Captain green is recommended

Sales and quoting process was very good. Team quoted based on my needs and provided options on system and placement of panels. Quote came in a timely manner and they answered any questions very quickly.

Installation was fine apart from the installer appeared to want to install the panels in layout that was most convenient to him. It took some convincing to get him to install as per the quote. Another small issue was that I wasn’t told that you would be required to be on site for the duration of the install.

Customer service after installation was good and they helped organise the grid connection.

I love watching my solar app to see my system work each day
They don’t call Captain Green Solar for nothing these guys were brilliant for me and at the TOP of their game from the Initial Conception (phone calls etc , scheduling etc) to completion (install) everything was organised and on time. Installation was professional, quick and really great quality. Highly recommend for anyone looking to get solar from the TEAM at Captain Green Solar you will be impressed Show additional information

Review removed at the request of the reviewer

Learn More

Great team

All of the Captain Green team are very professional, helpful and easy to converse with. Show additional information

Very quick from quote to install happy with system install and quality

Very quick from quote to install happy with system install and quality Show additional information

Happy customer

Easy to deal with quick & prompt installation.
Installation team was very friendly & did a great job

Seamless from start to finish

The solar journey with captain green was a positive experience. No issues / hassles. On time , good price , happy customer so far. Show additional information

Happy with solar system

I had a good experience with Captain Green and I think value for money they have delivered. I was happy with the whole process, sales, managing installation, installation and after service care. I called and reported a suspected fault and the installer was back that day to check. System is connected to the grid and is operational, Happy!! Show additional information

Best quote, great installer

We live just outside Canberra. We did a bit of shopping around, but Captain Green came in with the best quote, and their installer was very easy to work with. Show additional information

Fantastic installer and nice installation

The whole process went smoothly and efficiently. The sales and quoting process was as well as the customer service were excellent. The installation was also tidy, and the installers were polite and punctual. Show additional information

Good installer who seemed to understand and listen to our desires.

I had read elsewhere that Captain Green had installed up to 10kW on a single phase system in the AusGrid area and so after I checked their reviews in "Solar Quotes" and other web sites I gave them a call. My initial contact with them (Andrew) was confident that approval for a 6kw system would be easily obtainable and given that I am in a rural area with long and probably inadequate AusGrid cables we decided on a 6kW Fronius Inverter with 7.8kW of Jinko 300w panels that would fit and fill comfortably my available roof space. The installer needed to postpone my installation by one day but he was good with his communication and prompt on the installation day. The work was neat and easily finished in the one day. As I had already just removed a much smaller failing 10 year old system, NET metering was already available so it was connected and working on the same afternoon.

Hi Douglass

Thank you for your support.

If you have any referrals, please feel free to send them via the following link - http://www.captaingreen.com.au/refer-a-friend/

captain green solar

from start salesperson installer follow up everything went smooth not a problem

Hi Geoff,

CGS Team

fantasic service, quick installation.

Dominic and Stefan were fantastic in the sales and administration. I received the government rebate ok on a Thursday and had the system installed on the following Tuesday! John and his team of installers did a fantastic job, highly recommended. I've had the Sungrow inverter and panels installed for a few weeks now, they seem to be working perfectly. The service Sungrow offered was also second to none when I had some technical issues in setting up the monitoring portal.

Hi Peter,

QUICK, PROFESSIONAL INSTALL AND WORKING WONDERFULLY

The quoting process was easy. Factual, friendly and my questions answered. It was a good transaction.

Some Asian men did the install on a Sunday. They were friendly, polite, respectful and worked hard.

All processes were conducted to my complete satisfaction.

Hi Fran,

Professional service

Great advice when asking for initial quote.
Profetionaly installed, great workmanskip.
System up and running works great, just waiting for the net meter to be installed.
Great service Captain Green.

Hi Lawrence,

Professional and Great Value

Sales/quoting process done online with all questions answered in depth. Images of roof and existing meter emailed to Captain Green. Installer was very professional, on time, reliable and did a great job - changed original quoted location of panels and inverter on my request as per research from solarquotes website and other research I conducted. The install team was very helpful and polite and extremely efficient.
I had to organise the grid connection myself and also had to contact Growatt Inverter tech support for assistance in setting up app monitoring tool as the instructions were very confusing. They were also very helpful and setup monitoring system in minutes over the phone.
Very smooth installation because installers were efficient and listened to my requests including installing inverter inside garage to protect from weather.

Hi Gaye,