Sunterra Reviews

Based on 87 reviews Aus Ranking

About Sunterra, Solar Installers

Sunterra

As per their website:

"Sunterra was established in December 2010, Perth, Western Australia.

Since then, we have expanded our operations into New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia."

Sunterra Solar Reviews

Everything went alright until this company got the money. After paying money it took 11 weeks to get the installation done.
After installation I was happy that everything sorted for electricity now but after 3 months I receive electricity bill of $240. I was surprised to get that much bill after having solar so I contacted my electricity provider Alinta and Alinta says we have not got any sort of documentation for your solar installation which suppose to be provided by Sunterra.

When I contacted Sunterra they says installer forgot to provide that documents as he was extremely busy. I ask them now who is liable for this bill. The answer was we made mistake but its company policy that we don't compensate for any delayed made by us.

I said where its written about this stupid policy? Customer service representative says its not written anywhere but this has been informed by director to all staff.

People think to have solar installed to have less stress about electricity but let me tell you, if you choose Sunterra than you will be having even more problem either its before installation or after installation.

Stay away...
Spoke with Steve yesterday, professional, polite and extremely helpful. Received a call from Landon later that day to say they could be installed tomorrow. Came home from work at 4.30 to find Rainer scoping the job, received a call from Landon to say everything was ready to go. 7 am today they were there, polite, helpful efficient, professional and friendly. Panels look great, inverter exact position i requested for no extra cost. The follow up with my pack was efficient and friendly. I found everyone to do with this organisation and my installation to be brilliant , efficient and helpful and i would recommend them anytime. Thank you all for making this experience painless and uncomplicated and offering me the very best advice for my solution and not just promoting the highest cost option. Show additional information
Install all went really well but getting the government rebate looks to a real battle! Show additional information
AVOID At All Costs
Once you get past the promises of the sales consultant this is a back yard operation that has no clue I even go so far as to say they rope you in promising the best quality products at the best prices with no intention of actually installing them.

After waiting 7 weeks and ringing weekly to check that everything was on track even making a phone call 2 days prior to the installation
the installers show up wanting to half install my system saying that my Inverter was not available and would come back another time to finish the installation.

I refused and the installer left I then asked the Sunterra consultant that i required an email from the company that stated on the next installation date they will fully complete the installation with the agreed items or i would receive as compensation a discount of the installation price ( i did this as i read so many horror story reviews of people waiting months for there installations to be completed and i wanted to force their hand)
the consultant flatly refused and demanded my account details for a refund.

I gave them my bank details and am now waiting for my refund
You really need to ask yourself why would they refuse if everything is genuine and above board they would have made sure
that the installation went without a hitch with all the items agreed to installed.

It is my opinion that Sunterra go all out to get you so frustrated with there lies and empty promises that they hope you cave in and except inferior components so tread your own path just make sure its not with Sunterra
We don't recommend Sunterra, the installer incorrectly installed the invertor and damaged the iron roof causing $3500 worth of damage. We have had to seek assistance from Adelaide Consumer Business Services. Sunterra has a poor work ethic, does not reply to emails, makes excuses and does nothing about the problem, they have been misleading in phone calls. It has taken 6 weeks to get the invertor rectified. Its been 8 weeks and Sunterra have done nothing about the damaged roof, CBS are now involved we will go to court over this!! Its a poor attitude how this company can damage your property and does nothing about it!! Communication is poor and lack of responsibility. Show additional information
System installed: 6.6kW Risen Mono PERC panels, 5kW Fronius 3-phase inverter

When I decided to add more panels to my roof, I contacted a handful of "online" companies (including Sunterra), as well as 2 local companies. The initial package offered by the online companies all came in between $3-4k for 6.5 kW of panels, with a 5kW inverter, with the local companies coming in at $9k and $13k.

I began my research. There is a considerable amount of reviews out there warning against under-priced systems, with issues largely relating to installation quality and after sales service/guarantees. I researched all panels and inverters, and also the companies offering the service, to see how long they have been around (using the same company name/abn).

The panels offered by the majority of the companies were all quite good (shockingly), but I wanted Mono panels larger than 300W. The Risen Mono PERCS suited my needs and had reasonable reviews. The inverters vary a lot, and for a relatively small increase in price, I went with a Fronius. I couldnt take the risk of a Solis, or GroWatt etc etc. Fronius or SMA is the way to go. Sunterra were the only online company that a) Had an Australian salesman answer the phone, and b) been around for almost 10 years with reasonable reviews. This relaxed my concerns that they might actually be around to warrant any claim if it arose. I also spoke directly with Risen who confirmed that Sunterra are one of their biggest customers, and that Risen would warrant the panels should Sunterra not be around. In addition to this, Sunterra use their own installers, not contractors who could be blamed for any issues. The other online companies either hadnt been around for long or used extremely pushy salesmen. It would have been great to support a local installer, but I couldn't justify double the price.

The installation was done 2 days ago, and it looks good. The installers were neat, cleaned up after themselves and did a good job. Yesterday the system produced 28 kWh and it was semi overcast.
Stay far away Show additional information
Just yesterday installed Black Jinko Cheetah 315kw Mono panels with 8kw Fronius Symo. Dealt with Jacob who was very knowledable and professional. Got an amazing deal. Did my research first with background company checks and solar panel quality. Decided to go with Jinko as they are established in Sydney for many years. Truth of the matter was that originally I was meant to get the Half Cell panels but they were unavailable so Jacob called me to advise that I'll be getting the latest technology panel instead because they are unavailable. I again did a background check and YES that was correct. So from the get go this company was honest and working hard behind the scenes to accomodate and deliver on quality. Well it didn't stop there, the installer popped in day before to examine the electrical box and to make sure all was according to plan. ( Impressed again) Following day a huge group of workers arrived. Started at 9am and finished the job by 3pm. Mind you I had 33 panels going up on my 2 storey house. They had replaced 3 roof tiles due to drilling understandably cracked so they immediately replaced them with my spare ones on the spot and advised me. Everything they did was communicated with me. From showing me the serial number of the panels to the whole installation process. I wanted to detail my experience with this company as I was very fussy and had previous knowledge of the product I wanted. I am truly very happy only yesterday it was installed and the system is working. Already receiving free electricity. The installer showed me how it was working. Looking forward to reducing my bills. Thanks also to April for helping every step of the way and the lovely lady in aftercare that I spoke with yesterday. Really happy with the end result. The more quotes you get the more you see how others work and you start to realise how important it is to find the right company and the right price. Thanks guys and you deserve an excellent review from me. I forgot to mention Sunterra is one of the main distributors of Jinko that's why the price was below everyone else I had many quotes. I ended up getting a very powerful system because of the volume of appliances and the amount of electricity we consume. The deal was seriously the best and I ended up with latest technology because the original panel was completely out of stock. They did not charge any extra price was the same ... WINNING xx Thanks again Show additional information
I have bought two 6.6kw systems from Sunterra.
The price was great and the components were good quality.
For the first system, the installer worked with me to find suitable roof area over two sheds, at no extra cost.
The second system was installed within 3 weeks of my initial contact. The installer travelled to the Murraylands at no extra cost.
Sales and installation staff returned calls, and were professional at all times.
I was very impressed by the professionalism of Sunterra and its staff. From 1st contact to installation and follow up it was a very smooth experience.
The installers were amazing, turned up on time, looked very professional in their uniforms and the vehicles they were driving. Great advertising for neighbours and people driving by. They got straight into the job and finished leaving everything tidy.
I'm very happy with the Sunterra Solar experience from the good honest friendly advice of the salesman, the polite, and courteous installer and after sales customer service.

From the time of signing contract the installation and the electrical safety inspection were prompt.

Sunterra exceeded my expectations hence achieved customer service. I highly recommend Sunterra for your Solar Installation and for good honest sales advice Roop Sunterra Solar Melbourne.
A pleasure to deal with. Right from the initial enquires to the paying the deposit and installation.
Fully installed and operational in two weeks from paying the deposit.
Dylan and the installation were polite and efficient in the way they carried out their work.
The communication from all involved at Sunterra was very professional and factual.
Thank you to all involved.
Didi gave me professional advise and organised an early date for installation. The workmanship
was exelent and very professional. I would anytime recommend Sunterra to someone I know.
I can say that I'm a very happy costumer.
Seamless process from initial contact to end of installation.
Sales person Didi was very professional and helpful he kept in regular contact to ensure I was happy with the process without appearing pushy as other suppliers I had quotes from.
The installers Jack and Rohan were on time and also professional and kept me informed during the installation. Very tidy and cleaned up before they left.
All in all I highly recommend Sunterra for your solar panels.
I would give them a 10 if the scoring went that high!
Company supplied the inverter and panels of our choice. Install very efficient along with customer service. Very happy customers. Show additional information
Where do I start..
Took 2 months to set up an installation date and I paid extra for jinko mono panels and they we're putting up the risen panels instead on the day of installation.
Customer service is appalling, very cheeky when it comes to quotation as I didn't get a wifi adapter as it wasn't put in the quote. MAKE SURE TO GET THEM TO ADD IT TO YOUR QUOTE.
Time wasters avoid company if you can.
From start to finish the service was impeccable. Advised quickly of every stage. Unfortunately it took a little longer than first mentioned, but with heat waves etc, this is one of those things. So far the system is performing perfectly, great to see the energy being put back into the grid. Show additional information
Could not fault Sunterra Solar. Spoke to a sales team located in Adelaide. Installation was carried out on time. Show additional information
It was to be installed November 2017, we have been on the grid 3 weeks, it's now March 2019
No customer service only time they contacted us was for money. No advice on meter requirements
Supplied different brand panels than quoted
Tried to increase quote price, over 30 defects and only rectified them when we refused to pay, set debt collection on us even though had no solar power. Caused major roof leak that did extensive damage, overall disgusted by the whole ordeal
Do not touch this company
Customer service at point of sale/enquiry from Daniel Alison at Sunterra in Adelaide SA was excellent. Daniel has a very good customer service ethic and helped me to get a good picture of the solar system I needed. Show additional information
Took several visits from installer to get system operational , no communication from installer, did not turn up as promised. Growatt inverter failed within 12 months of installation. Company has placed a warranty claim with Growatt and expects to have new inverter fitted within 2 to 3 weeks. Show additional information
Ordering and installation was a delight. Sales and installation personnel were extremely personable and professional. Installation was right on schedule and was completed in 5 hours.

I was not inconvenienced at all and power was only off for about 30 minutes. I would have no hesitation in recommending Sunterra.
Decided to get solar installed to take advantage of the Victorian solar rebate. Called a few companies but Sunterra was offering reputable solar brands for best prices. Paid a deposit in December and just had my solar installed. Said they will install in 6 weeks but in reality took 6 and a half weeks. But I'm really happy with the system which they installed. Got JA solar panels and the Solis inverter with wifi functionality is great at checking if the panels are working properly. I've had days where the system was producing near 50kw a day which is amazing. Overall a happy customer and would recommend to anyone who wants to invest in solar but doesn't want to sacrifice on the quality of the product. Show additional information
So far so good. Genuine value for money Show additional information
I had this system installed for 3 months now and it still doesn't work. Had the inverter replaced because it fried and it appears to have done it again. Rang Sunterra several times over the past eight days and still yet to receive a confirmed time to having it fixed. Looks like a may have to approach the department of Fair Trading to get this rectified and seek my loses. Show additional information
All the Solar hype back in last year I have chosen to get solar for my property - so far my sunterra solar service has been beyond worse. On this I will name some people I have been in contact for last September last year towards end of last year after getting several quotes sunterra was one of them and on their follow up calls they advise me they are able to match any other solar company quotes. I saw sunterra review was better than all the other providers at that time decided to go with them. person who signed me up Lachlan I have signed my contract and deposited money for below for price of $4650 excluding vic govt rebates on the 29/09. At that time they have advise me that it will take roughly 4-6 weeks.
(6.6 kw jinko panels with 5w fronius , Upgrade to 315-330 fronis panels)
So next few days I have submitted the rebates and took roughly 7 weeks for them to come back with approval. When approval received I have contacted sunterra several time to find out when they will be able to come and get installation completed they have advised in in few weeks time as they are extremely busy and currently jinko out of stock. Lachlan has given Ricky(04........93) who is his manager who approved the solar quotes. I have contacted him who advise the same but shouldn't be too far off that was around 6/7 week since the sign up. he has advise me several time that his manager Nalaka (04........80) will contact me back soon but never heard from him.
Couple of weeks later after many attempts called the office spoke to multiple different people who are unable to help but did manage to they service manager Sunny. I was able get hold of sunny and picks up phone regrlarly - i have contacted sunny sometime in beginning of December who keep on advising they are overwhelmed with the job, after several attempt he did manage to find a date for for in December 20th but unfortunately it was raining that day they so they couldn't complete the job on that but i found out around 11am after me calling sunny. He did manage to find put me on another day 1/1/2019 new years day.
So on that I was happy to see someone was at the door before I got woke up. I was thinking this might be new Sunterra keeping promises. After Installation company inspect the property they advised that they need forklift some what because it is double story they are unable able to get the roof top plus to make it worse they were advising me I have to bare cost of it needs to be rescheduled.
After talking to sunny many weeks he manage to find a slot for me 22/01/2019. I ensure that they are coming on this day by calling get conformation from sunny over the phone waited till 10am called sunny - advised looking into it will call back. Call back in 11 advise some system issue will call back. called 12pm no ans straight to voice mail.
After another 30 min call with Sunny who advise me, installer is sick he tried contacting me multiple times and they rescheduled it again on 24/01/2019.

Update
24/01/2018 - no show by installer. After multiple calls find out at 11am installer is "sick"

I have taken multiple days off to cater this company to complete the job I'm at a point, my approval with Vic solar rebate finishes in few days time and couldn't be any more frustrated.
It has taken 1 month and several emails to get a broken panel replaced Show additional information
Peter in the office was great and helpful and really knows what is the best for you. I felt comfortable asking questions and all were answered without hesitation. I got all the information then brought it home and discussed it with my wife, who then came with me to sign up.
It only took about 4 weeks to get it installed.

The installer that came was on his own due to the other person falling ill. Usually there are 2 for each installation. He did a fantastic job and did most of the work on his own, before another 2 installers came along near the end to help finish up. For 1 guy to do all the work he did throughout the day was a great feat for him.

Had a phone call from customer service about it the next day and all I can say is that we were all happy and even had a laugh about a few things!
I think that it is great to feel comfortable with a purchase like this, and I am extremely happy with this purchase.

Would I recommend Sunterra? I would definitely say yes. I have a few people who want to get solar and they are waiting to see how well it works before they commit too.
I would like to recommend the installers for the excellent job they performed on a very hot day. It was a pleasure to have them Show additional information
Sunterra initially quoted the wrong house due to an operator address error. I got them to do it again, it was pleasing to not have a mandatory at least 2 hour visit of attempting to hard sell you before you get a quote. They did not supply a diagram until I requested it after reminding them. solarquotes checklist is very useful to compare providers if a little overboard (and I quoted 8 companies!).

Sunterra use contractors as I paid the deposit in late November for installation and it's half way through December and after calling and speaking to the �installation schedule manager� they could not even guarantee me a date of installation and their installers will only guarantee 2 weeks in advance of their schedule.

Employees would not have this issue.

But, you get what you pay for and my sacrifice is time due to my budget.

Sunterra do not use solar quotes and were conspiratorial when I mentioned their review scores here not being great. They said they are �likely fake or written by competitors�. I work in customer service and surveys like this should be taken with a grain of salt but often have a kernel of truth

But I cannot ignore the value in $5799 for a 6.6kw system with 315W risen panels and a 6kw solaredge inverter with optimisers on every panel.

It was $1k less for a fronius but given my experience thus far I suspect I am going to need to monitor this system quite a lot and their product warranty is top notch.

I expected �TPG Internet but for the solar industry� type service and thus far they are meeting that standard but they have yet to supply the system.
I waited 2 months to reach the front of the queue, but once there excellent service. Very competent,informative installers. Sunterra had organised my energy supplier to hook-up on the same day so within a few hours I had solar energy. Well done Sunterra Show additional information
Everything went well and according to plan and the system was up and running before the advised date.
In regards to customer service they did need a little push to receive a quote and some of the emails received were a bit vague.
Overall happy customer.
Very friendly and responsive Show additional information
Still in the process of getting installed. Been waiting since 2/10/2018 (now 9/12/2018)

No install date to date, and it is another job just to call the customer service which don't know the progress of install, no install date.

Avoid !!
Stay clear of this disorganised, poorly managed company Show additional information
From the first contact with David of Sunterra, nothing was too much trouble, he was able to answer all my questions and break the technical talk into something I could understand.
The installers Jacob and Jack two young gents who were polite, neat, tidy, kept you informed on their progress and were on time in arriving and finished the job a head of schedule.
Great service and highly recommend them.
I have later discovered that not just one, but two of my neighbours have installed Sunterra solar.
The sales man made promises of installation and product that was clearly to good to be true. Stating he can get installed in about 4 weeks, the WiFi inverter can monitor feed in and Solar power in real time...

Reality was it took 8 weeks for installation and they sent a multi page contact with fine print that danced around what was actually offered. No one called me at all, I chased them for weeks. It took 6 weeks to actually speak so someone and then was promised ppl would calle back, which never happened. The installer came but left without finishing the job the first time stating it was because of something personal. Then only to realise that they didn't include in the price a smart switch to actually monitor what a need via WiFi which will cost an extra $400.

When I complained I got some slick sales manager that went on about how lucky I was to get such a good deal and how he has no idea how I got the deal I was offered and finished off by saying the smart inverter was actually $700 and he was doing me a favour. However he finished up saying that I was treated so bad but he will look into it, (as if that changes anything). I doubt he is looking into anything at all.

Do not trust a word that this company says. They give only headaches and issues. They lie and use a multi page contact with fine print to do what they want and offer poor customer service that can not be fixed with a line of... "oh I'm sorry.... I'll look into that"
Hi Finn
Thanks for the quotes supplied from our contact with your web site.
Your site was a great source of information and was a big part of our decision. The systems information helped us to narrow down what we wanted.
Then it was just a choice based on the information and good presentation from the quotes. We opted for a mid range price which was influenced by the communication style of the sales team.
Had a fault 8 months after installed. Contacted coy and a new inverter was delivered and installed within 2 working days! Show additional information
From my first contact with Sunterra to the after installation "satisfaction check", I was impressed by the Company's professionalism, friendly people and workmanlike performance.
The whole job took under two weeks and was trouble free even to the Installers working on/in our colourbond roof and cavity in 35 degree heat and finally vacuuming my garage floor leaving the site better than as found.
Sunterra's price was very competitive with their proposal including latest release 315w panels and European 3 phase inverter.
I will happily recommend Sunterra.
Sales and customer service pre and post installation A1 pleasant and polite plus very informative.
Installers explained each major step worked quickly effectively and cleaned up after a very good contractor ...hang on to them
System working well look forward to almost no bill next time. Thanks to a friend who also installed this system
Roy (Adelaide)
I used Sunterra for our solar based on price and value for money, I was very pleased with the process and every thing went smoothly, the installers went out of there way to hide cables and did a great job. I went for Jinko panels and a Solax X1 inverter and are more than happy with the system which we had installed approximately six months ago. Show additional information
Overall a good experience. Few hiccups in the process but nothing major. Just the install was delayed by about a month. A 5.5kw system( could have got 6.6 but no roof space) jinko 275 poly panels and fronius 5.0 primo inverter. No one else even came closer in terms of pricing. If you are ready to have patience with the install than these guys are good. Show additional information
No issue with Sales (they answered my many, many questions) and the actual installers on the day. The only grizzle I have so far is the coordination of getting the installers on site and the very average customer service involved in making that happen. Definite area for improvement including phone and email communication. Show additional information
The inverter is not mached with the number of panels installed . The system falls over when ever it reaches 4.5kw on a 6 kw system , they have not fixed the problem , even after 6 months . Poor service Show additional information
Given a couple of bad reviews it was with some trepidation I went with SunTerra, but was pleasantly surprised. Competitive, good service, installation in required timeframe and install with no hassles. Waiting now on smart meter install. Show additional information
Average install....very poor sevice after job completed..
Do not want too help...havent herd back after 4 months..after calling them 10 times..
Due too inverter tripping...
Avoid...even if deal sounds good
Better other companies around..