Sunterra Reviews

About Sunterra, Solar Installers

Sunterra

As per their website:

"Sunterra was established in December 2010, Perth, Western Australia.

Since then, we have expanded our operations into New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia."

Sunterra Solar Reviews

Company supplied the inverter and panels of our choice. Install very efficient along with customer service. Very happy customers. Show additional information
Where do I start..
Took 2 months to set up an installation date and I paid extra for jinko mono panels and they we're putting up the risen panels instead on the day of installation.
Customer service is appalling, very cheeky when it comes to quotation as I didn't get a wifi adapter as it wasn't put in the quote. MAKE SURE TO GET THEM TO ADD IT TO YOUR QUOTE.
Time wasters avoid company if you can.
From start to finish the service was impeccable. Advised quickly of every stage. Unfortunately it took a little longer than first mentioned, but with heat waves etc, this is one of those things. So far the system is performing perfectly, great to see the energy being put back into the grid. Show additional information
Could not fault Sunterra Solar. Spoke to a sales team located in Adelaide. Installation was carried out on time. Show additional information
It was to be installed November 2017, we have been on the grid 3 weeks, it's now March 2019
No customer service only time they contacted us was for money. No advice on meter requirements
Supplied different brand panels than quoted
Tried to increase quote price, over 30 defects and only rectified them when we refused to pay, set debt collection on us even though had no solar power. Caused major roof leak that did extensive damage, overall disgusted by the whole ordeal
Do not touch this company
Customer service at point of sale/enquiry from Daniel Alison at Sunterra in Adelaide SA was excellent. Daniel has a very good customer service ethic and helped me to get a good picture of the solar system I needed. Show additional information
Took several visits from installer to get system operational , no communication from installer, did not turn up as promised. Growatt inverter failed within 12 months of installation. Company has placed a warranty claim with Growatt and expects to have new inverter fitted within 2 to 3 weeks. Show additional information
Ordering and installation was a delight. Sales and installation personnel were extremely personable and professional. Installation was right on schedule and was completed in 5 hours.

I was not inconvenienced at all and power was only off for about 30 minutes. I would have no hesitation in recommending Sunterra.
Decided to get solar installed to take advantage of the Victorian solar rebate. Called a few companies but Sunterra was offering reputable solar brands for best prices. Paid a deposit in December and just had my solar installed. Said they will install in 6 weeks but in reality took 6 and a half weeks. But I'm really happy with the system which they installed. Got JA solar panels and the Solis inverter with wifi functionality is great at checking if the panels are working properly. I've had days where the system was producing near 50kw a day which is amazing. Overall a happy customer and would recommend to anyone who wants to invest in solar but doesn't want to sacrifice on the quality of the product. Show additional information
So far so good. Genuine value for money Show additional information
I had this system installed for 3 months now and it still doesn't work. Had the inverter replaced because it fried and it appears to have done it again. Rang Sunterra several times over the past eight days and still yet to receive a confirmed time to having it fixed. Looks like a may have to approach the department of Fair Trading to get this rectified and seek my loses. Show additional information
All the Solar hype back in last year I have chosen to get solar for my property - so far my sunterra solar service has been beyond worse. On this I will name some people I have been in contact for last September last year towards end of last year after getting several quotes sunterra was one of them and on their follow up calls they advise me they are able to match any other solar company quotes. I saw sunterra review was better than all the other providers at that time decided to go with them. person who signed me up Lachlan I have signed my contract and deposited money for below for price of $4650 excluding vic govt rebates on the 29/09. At that time they have advise me that it will take roughly 4-6 weeks.
(6.6 kw jinko panels with 5w fronius , Upgrade to 315-330 fronis panels)
So next few days I have submitted the rebates and took roughly 7 weeks for them to come back with approval. When approval received I have contacted sunterra several time to find out when they will be able to come and get installation completed they have advised in in few weeks time as they are extremely busy and currently jinko out of stock. Lachlan has given Ricky(04........93) who is his manager who approved the solar quotes. I have contacted him who advise the same but shouldn't be too far off that was around 6/7 week since the sign up. he has advise me several time that his manager Nalaka (04........80) will contact me back soon but never heard from him.
Couple of weeks later after many attempts called the office spoke to multiple different people who are unable to help but did manage to they service manager Sunny. I was able get hold of sunny and picks up phone regrlarly - i have contacted sunny sometime in beginning of December who keep on advising they are overwhelmed with the job, after several attempt he did manage to find a date for for in December 20th but unfortunately it was raining that day they so they couldn't complete the job on that but i found out around 11am after me calling sunny. He did manage to find put me on another day 1/1/2019 new years day.
So on that I was happy to see someone was at the door before I got woke up. I was thinking this might be new Sunterra keeping promises. After Installation company inspect the property they advised that they need forklift some what because it is double story they are unable able to get the roof top plus to make it worse they were advising me I have to bare cost of it needs to be rescheduled.
After talking to sunny many weeks he manage to find a slot for me 22/01/2019. I ensure that they are coming on this day by calling get conformation from sunny over the phone waited till 10am called sunny - advised looking into it will call back. Call back in 11 advise some system issue will call back. called 12pm no ans straight to voice mail.
After another 30 min call with Sunny who advise me, installer is sick he tried contacting me multiple times and they rescheduled it again on 24/01/2019.

Update
24/01/2018 - no show by installer. After multiple calls find out at 11am installer is "sick"

I have taken multiple days off to cater this company to complete the job I'm at a point, my approval with Vic solar rebate finishes in few days time and couldn't be any more frustrated.
It has taken 1 month and several emails to get a broken panel replaced Show additional information
Peter in the office was great and helpful and really knows what is the best for you. I felt comfortable asking questions and all were answered without hesitation. I got all the information then brought it home and discussed it with my wife, who then came with me to sign up.
It only took about 4 weeks to get it installed.

The installer that came was on his own due to the other person falling ill. Usually there are 2 for each installation. He did a fantastic job and did most of the work on his own, before another 2 installers came along near the end to help finish up. For 1 guy to do all the work he did throughout the day was a great feat for him.

Had a phone call from customer service about it the next day and all I can say is that we were all happy and even had a laugh about a few things!
I think that it is great to feel comfortable with a purchase like this, and I am extremely happy with this purchase.

Would I recommend Sunterra? I would definitely say yes. I have a few people who want to get solar and they are waiting to see how well it works before they commit too.
I would like to recommend the installers for the excellent job they performed on a very hot day. It was a pleasure to have them Show additional information
Sunterra initially quoted the wrong house due to an operator address error. I got them to do it again, it was pleasing to not have a mandatory at least 2 hour visit of attempting to hard sell you before you get a quote. They did not supply a diagram until I requested it after reminding them. solarquotes checklist is very useful to compare providers if a little overboard (and I quoted 8 companies!).

Sunterra use contractors as I paid the deposit in late November for installation and it's half way through December and after calling and speaking to the �installation schedule manager� they could not even guarantee me a date of installation and their installers will only guarantee 2 weeks in advance of their schedule.

Employees would not have this issue.

But, you get what you pay for and my sacrifice is time due to my budget.

Sunterra do not use solar quotes and were conspiratorial when I mentioned their review scores here not being great. They said they are �likely fake or written by competitors�. I work in customer service and surveys like this should be taken with a grain of salt but often have a kernel of truth

But I cannot ignore the value in $5799 for a 6.6kw system with 315W risen panels and a 6kw solaredge inverter with optimisers on every panel.

It was $1k less for a fronius but given my experience thus far I suspect I am going to need to monitor this system quite a lot and their product warranty is top notch.

I expected �TPG Internet but for the solar industry� type service and thus far they are meeting that standard but they have yet to supply the system.
I waited 2 months to reach the front of the queue, but once there excellent service. Very competent,informative installers. Sunterra had organised my energy supplier to hook-up on the same day so within a few hours I had solar energy. Well done Sunterra Show additional information
Everything went well and according to plan and the system was up and running before the advised date.
In regards to customer service they did need a little push to receive a quote and some of the emails received were a bit vague.
Overall happy customer.
Very friendly and responsive Show additional information
Still in the process of getting installed. Been waiting since 2/10/2018 (now 9/12/2018)

No install date to date, and it is another job just to call the customer service which don't know the progress of install, no install date.

Avoid !!
Stay clear of this disorganised, poorly managed company Show additional information
From the first contact with David of Sunterra, nothing was too much trouble, he was able to answer all my questions and break the technical talk into something I could understand.
The installers Jacob and Jack two young gents who were polite, neat, tidy, kept you informed on their progress and were on time in arriving and finished the job a head of schedule.
Great service and highly recommend them.
I have later discovered that not just one, but two of my neighbours have installed Sunterra solar.
The sales man made promises of installation and product that was clearly to good to be true. Stating he can get installed in about 4 weeks, the WiFi inverter can monitor feed in and Solar power in real time...

Reality was it took 8 weeks for installation and they sent a multi page contact with fine print that danced around what was actually offered. No one called me at all, I chased them for weeks. It took 6 weeks to actually speak so someone and then was promised ppl would calle back, which never happened. The installer came but left without finishing the job the first time stating it was because of something personal. Then only to realise that they didn't include in the price a smart switch to actually monitor what a need via WiFi which will cost an extra $400.

When I complained I got some slick sales manager that went on about how lucky I was to get such a good deal and how he has no idea how I got the deal I was offered and finished off by saying the smart inverter was actually $700 and he was doing me a favour. However he finished up saying that I was treated so bad but he will look into it, (as if that changes anything). I doubt he is looking into anything at all.

Do not trust a word that this company says. They give only headaches and issues. They lie and use a multi page contact with fine print to do what they want and offer poor customer service that can not be fixed with a line of... "oh I'm sorry.... I'll look into that"
Hi Finn
Thanks for the quotes supplied from our contact with your web site.
Your site was a great source of information and was a big part of our decision. The systems information helped us to narrow down what we wanted.
Then it was just a choice based on the information and good presentation from the quotes. We opted for a mid range price which was influenced by the communication style of the sales team.
Had a fault 8 months after installed. Contacted coy and a new inverter was delivered and installed within 2 working days! Show additional information
From my first contact with Sunterra to the after installation "satisfaction check", I was impressed by the Company's professionalism, friendly people and workmanlike performance.
The whole job took under two weeks and was trouble free even to the Installers working on/in our colourbond roof and cavity in 35 degree heat and finally vacuuming my garage floor leaving the site better than as found.
Sunterra's price was very competitive with their proposal including latest release 315w panels and European 3 phase inverter.
I will happily recommend Sunterra.
Sales and customer service pre and post installation A1 pleasant and polite plus very informative.
Installers explained each major step worked quickly effectively and cleaned up after a very good contractor ...hang on to them
System working well look forward to almost no bill next time. Thanks to a friend who also installed this system
Roy (Adelaide)
I used Sunterra for our solar based on price and value for money, I was very pleased with the process and every thing went smoothly, the installers went out of there way to hide cables and did a great job. I went for Jinko panels and a Solax X1 inverter and are more than happy with the system which we had installed approximately six months ago. Show additional information
Overall a good experience. Few hiccups in the process but nothing major. Just the install was delayed by about a month. A 5.5kw system( could have got 6.6 but no roof space) jinko 275 poly panels and fronius 5.0 primo inverter. No one else even came closer in terms of pricing. If you are ready to have patience with the install than these guys are good. Show additional information
No issue with Sales (they answered my many, many questions) and the actual installers on the day. The only grizzle I have so far is the coordination of getting the installers on site and the very average customer service involved in making that happen. Definite area for improvement including phone and email communication. Show additional information
The inverter is not mached with the number of panels installed . The system falls over when ever it reaches 4.5kw on a 6 kw system , they have not fixed the problem , even after 6 months . Poor service Show additional information
Given a couple of bad reviews it was with some trepidation I went with SunTerra, but was pleasantly surprised. Competitive, good service, installation in required timeframe and install with no hassles. Waiting now on smart meter install. Show additional information
Average install....very poor sevice after job completed..
Do not want too help...havent herd back after 4 months..after calling them 10 times..
Due too inverter tripping...
Avoid...even if deal sounds good
Better other companies around..
I would like to mention the following people by name for exceptional service. I live in Rockingham WA.

Matthew from sales
Lily from accounts
Marcin and his team of installers
Annoula from after sales helping me set up the App and register the inverters.
????????????????????????????????
Hi. I only had a quote from one of your suppliers and it was for a much larger system than I had asked for; I was only wanting to get a 1.5Kw system. When I again asked for a 1.5 system I was quoted on a 2.2Kw system and when I complained again I was quoted on 1.5 system but the price was not very much less!!!
Several other suppliers did exactly the same thing , so I guess small systems are simply not economical.

I ended up with 2.4Kw of panels and a Fronius 2Kw inverter which was larger than I wanted but with the total price under $2000.00 I was happy. Note that this system is in addition to the 2Kw system that I had installed 6 years ago with a Chinese inverter that had to be repaired under warranty twice in less than 16 months so I had an SMA Sunnyboy inverter fitted.

I am very happy with this setup that I have now

Thanks for your help
Walter
If you value integrity and after sales service then do not use this company. We made the mistake of not doing our research first, instead, going on a friend's suggestion (not realizing he hadn't actually used them himself). Had we done our research we would have known that although Sunterra advertise that they sell and install Clean Energy Council products (which we are not disputing) they are not an �Approved Solar Retailer' with the Clean Energy Council, therefore not accredited and not bound by any code of conduct to provide a good service.

Be aware that if you are already receiving the subsidy of 40c per kWh for your previously installed solar panels, buried deep inside Synergy's terms and conditions is a clause that states that you will lose this subsidy if you add to your existing system and, instead, receive just 7c per kWh for all electricity sold back to the grid.

Sunterra's method of letting us know this (which, apparently, they are required to do by law) was by phone � a fact that we vehemently dispute but cannot prove. Obviously, had we been aware of this we would have waited until our current contract ran out in 3 years' time before we bought a second system and would not be stuck with the HIGHER electricity bills we are now receiving.

However, our biggest criticism is the attitude Sunterra's management took to our complaint. Instead of accepting that they should have better systems in place to, not only provide this information but to also be able to prove that they had (or maybe they don't on purpose?), they chose to completely ignore our correspondence over many months! Unfortunately even a complaint to Consumer Affairs (something no other company has ever driven us to do previously) resulted in a �Sorry, it's your word against theirs and no-one can prove either way'.

We have since used Solar Gain (Yes, we checked - an accredited company) for some more work we have had done and have recommended them to others.
The system I chose was relatively cheap in comparison with other quotes and on research still had good quality products, Jinko panels and ABB Uno Inverter. The quality of products from other quotes were very good in some cases but the price differential was too high. Your own review of the ABB Uno influenced my decision.
This is not my system as I was acting for my daughter who had the final decision which I agreed with.
They give you a 5yr warranty on workmanship and l am in my 2nd year of trying to get them to come back and get them to come back and repair my ceiling after leaks through the broken roof tiles that they broke whilst working on the installation of the system. The lady in the office is lovely but she doesn't have any support from the company. I have done Statutory Declarations and l have had no response so now to CONSUMER AFFAIRS who will remove their licence if they fail to co-operate and rectify the problem. They promised me that they would do a professional job (Steve who quotes their jobs) and l told him that my ROOF was TILED not TIN and he said that's o/k even when l told him that another company couldn't do the jobs because they didn't have the right brackets. Sorry l wouldn't use them again after what we have been through, by the way the leaking water was running into our ceiling light and filling the light shade and even though they were warned of this it still took them over 12mths to take the panel off and replace the broken roof tile, they used over a dozen of my spare tiles at no cost or promise to replace them. Show additional information
6.48Kw system, using Jinko 270 panels with Fronius inverter. Got the quote one week, accepted it and paid the deposit the following week, Sunterra installed the system the next week. overall, a very painless experience with very short time from quote to installation. System is performing at about 70% efficiency due to the shallow angle of my roof, and the sun being lower in the sky as Autumn rolls on. I expected this and am extremely happy with the results. The two guys who installed the system were pleasant, courteous and went about their business in a professional manner. I gave them a printout of how I wanted the panels to be arranged on my roof and they were happy to do it the way I wanted. The mounting hardware looks good (I clambered up onto the roof to take a look). The final price and the 40 months interest free finance was the thing that sealed the deal for me and the application and implementation of that all went smoothly. I'd definitely be recommending these guys to any of my friends who want solar. The only negative experience I had was that the guy in charge of organising the finance had the wrong bank name on the finance application forms, refused to change it, and just wanted me to sign it anyway. No way I'm signing incorrect application forms, so i changed them myself to have the correct bank name, printed them out, signed and sent the forms off. No problems and all went ahead fine. That is the only reason I gave them a 4 for Customer Service. Other than that relatively minor thing, I have absolutely no complaints at all. Show additional information
Incredibly frustrating company to deal with.

Signed up and paid a deposit in early December, the first install date wasn't until the start of February.
First attempt they turned up with insufficient gear to actually get onto the roof, the wrong type of brackets (for tile instead of metal roof) and didn't have any safety gear.
Second attempt a few days later they did manage to install the panels, but then there was a mismatch between the inverter (3-Phase) and the house (3 Phase but with a single phase meter).

All this after being provided with photos of the meter box, told it was a metal roof, two story house etc etc.

2 weeks after install we were still waiting for the meter to be replaced at which point after chasing them we were told there was a form we had to fill in and sign and that they were waiting for us.
They had not contacted us or told us about this prior to us contacting them.
We then had to find the required meter change forms and do their job for them filling it in and submitting it, something i'm sure other companies would have done prior to actually installing the panels.

Refused to answer questions about why certain actions weren't done earlier (eg meter change forms).
As of posting this review it's 3 weeks after the install, nearly 3 months after signing up with them, and the panels are still not connected to the meter box.

To summarise;
- Complete lack of attention to detail
- No prior research/inspection of the job until they turn up on the day
- Terrible communication
- Incredibly slow
- Will view their job as finished despite not actually being able to use the solar panels
- Will not organise metering change over
The system is installed and now we are waiting for Energex to install the meter. Show additional information
Sunterra not only came in with the lowest price, but after talking to the sale guy Steve, we opted for Micro Invetors based on the positioning of the panels over a standard single invertor. The installer came round on the agreed date/time and the work is awesome. They worked until after 6pm both days to get it done! They talked me through the positioning of the panels and then worked so hard getting the placement just right so it looks as awesome as it performs. The whole job was completed in 2 days and Im seeing a massive difference in my power bills already. (20 per day down to around 5 since the connection based on the Origin Energy app)

After sales service is also awesome, talking me through the warrenties, and calling to ensure Im happy with the system. We are struggling to get the enphase enlighten portal set up, but Kevin from Sunterra is working with me to get it sorted.

Absolutely delighted and would highly recommend to anyone in the Sydney Area!
One of your solar installers took 4 weeks to send me a quote, after which time i'd already booked in and paid a deposit for a system.

All of the quotes that I received from your suppliers were 40% dearer or more, compared to the system that I ended up purchasing. $5000 vs $7700 is a massive difference in price, for the exact same parts that make the system up.