• With 1000’s of Customer Reviews

Sunterra Reviews

About Sunterra, Solar Installers

As per their website:

"Sunterra was established in December 2010, Perth, Western Australia.

Since then, we have expanded our operations into New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia."

Sunterra Solar Reviews

No issue with Sales (they answered my many, many questions) and the actual installers on the day. The only grizzle I have so far is the coordination of getting the installers on site and the very average customer service involved in making that happen. Definite area for improvement including phone and email communication. Show additional information
The inverter is not mached with the number of panels installed . The system falls over when ever it reaches 4.5kw on a 6 kw system , they have not fixed the problem , even after 6 months . Poor service Show additional information
Given a couple of bad reviews it was with some trepidation I went with SunTerra, but was pleasantly surprised. Competitive, good service, installation in required timeframe and install with no hassles. Waiting now on smart meter install. Show additional information
Average install....very poor sevice after job completed..
Do not want too help...havent herd back after 4 months..after calling them 10 times..
Due too inverter tripping...
Avoid...even if deal sounds good
Better other companies around..
I would like to mention the following people by name for exceptional service. I live in Rockingham WA.

Matthew from sales
Lily from accounts
Marcin and his team of installers
Annoula from after sales helping me set up the App and register the inverters.
????????????????????????????????
Hi. I only had a quote from one of your suppliers and it was for a much larger system than I had asked for; I was only wanting to get a 1.5Kw system. When I again asked for a 1.5 system I was quoted on a 2.2Kw system and when I complained again I was quoted on 1.5 system but the price was not very much less!!!
Several other suppliers did exactly the same thing , so I guess small systems are simply not economical.

I ended up with 2.4Kw of panels and a Fronius 2Kw inverter which was larger than I wanted but with the total price under $2000.00 I was happy. Note that this system is in addition to the 2Kw system that I had installed 6 years ago with a Chinese inverter that had to be repaired under warranty twice in less than 16 months so I had an SMA Sunnyboy inverter fitted.

I am very happy with this setup that I have now

Thanks for your help
Walter
If you value integrity and after sales service then do not use this company. We made the mistake of not doing our research first, instead, going on a friend’s suggestion (not realizing he hadn’t actually used them himself). Had we done our research we would have known that although Sunterra advertise that they sell and install Clean Energy Council products (which we are not disputing) they are not an ‘Approved Solar Retailer’ with the Clean Energy Council, therefore not accredited and not bound by any code of conduct to provide a good service.

Be aware that if you are already receiving the subsidy of 40c per kWh for your previously installed solar panels, buried deep inside Synergy’s terms and conditions is a clause that states that you will lose this subsidy if you add to your existing system and, instead, receive just 7c per kWh for all electricity sold back to the grid.

Sunterra’s method of letting us know this (which, apparently, they are required to do by law) was by phone – a fact that we vehemently dispute but cannot prove. Obviously, had we been aware of this we would have waited until our current contract ran out in 3 years’ time before we bought a second system and would not be stuck with the HIGHER electricity bills we are now receiving.

However, our biggest criticism is the attitude Sunterra’s management took to our complaint. Instead of accepting that they should have better systems in place to, not only provide this information but to also be able to prove that they had (or maybe they don’t on purpose?), they chose to completely ignore our correspondence over many months! Unfortunately even a complaint to Consumer Affairs (something no other company has ever driven us to do previously) resulted in a ‘Sorry, it’s your word against theirs and no-one can prove either way’.

We have since used Solar Gain (Yes, we checked - an accredited company) for some more work we have had done and have recommended them to others.
The system I chose was relatively cheap in comparison with other quotes and on research still had good quality products, Jinko panels and ABB Uno Inverter. The quality of products from other quotes were very good in some cases but the price differential was too high. Your own review of the ABB Uno influenced my decision.
This is not my system as I was acting for my daughter who had the final decision which I agreed with.
They give you a 5yr warranty on workmanship and l am in my 2nd year of trying to get them to come back and get them to come back and repair my ceiling after leaks through the broken roof tiles that they broke whilst working on the installation of the system. The lady in the office is lovely but she doesn't have any support from the company. I have done Statutory Declarations and l have had no response so now to CONSUMER AFFAIRS who will remove their licence if they fail to co-operate and rectify the problem. They promised me that they would do a professional job (Steve who quotes their jobs) and l told him that my ROOF was TILED not TIN and he said that's o/k even when l told him that another company couldn't do the jobs because they didn't have the right brackets. Sorry l wouldn't use them again after what we have been through, by the way the leaking water was running into our ceiling light and filling the light shade and even though they were warned of this it still took them over 12mths to take the panel off and replace the broken roof tile, they used over a dozen of my spare tiles at no cost or promise to replace them. Show additional information
6.48Kw system, using Jinko 270 panels with Fronius inverter. Got the quote one week, accepted it and paid the deposit the following week, Sunterra installed the system the next week. overall, a very painless experience with very short time from quote to installation. System is performing at about 70% efficiency due to the shallow angle of my roof, and the sun being lower in the sky as Autumn rolls on. I expected this and am extremely happy with the results. The two guys who installed the system were pleasant, courteous and went about their business in a professional manner. I gave them a printout of how I wanted the panels to be arranged on my roof and they were happy to do it the way I wanted. The mounting hardware looks good (I clambered up onto the roof to take a look). The final price and the 40 months interest free finance was the thing that sealed the deal for me and the application and implementation of that all went smoothly. I'd definitely be recommending these guys to any of my friends who want solar. The only negative experience I had was that the guy in charge of organising the finance had the wrong bank name on the finance application forms, refused to change it, and just wanted me to sign it anyway. No way I'm signing incorrect application forms, so i changed them myself to have the correct bank name, printed them out, signed and sent the forms off. No problems and all went ahead fine. That is the only reason I gave them a 4 for Customer Service. Other than that relatively minor thing, I have absolutely no complaints at all. Show additional information
Incredibly frustrating company to deal with.

Signed up and paid a deposit in early December, the first install date wasn't until the start of February.
First attempt they turned up with insufficient gear to actually get onto the roof, the wrong type of brackets (for tile instead of metal roof) and didn't have any safety gear.
Second attempt a few days later they did manage to install the panels, but then there was a mismatch between the inverter (3-Phase) and the house (3 Phase but with a single phase meter).

All this after being provided with photos of the meter box, told it was a metal roof, two story house etc etc.

2 weeks after install we were still waiting for the meter to be replaced at which point after chasing them we were told there was a form we had to fill in and sign and that they were waiting for us.
They had not contacted us or told us about this prior to us contacting them.
We then had to find the required meter change forms and do their job for them filling it in and submitting it, something i'm sure other companies would have done prior to actually installing the panels.

Refused to answer questions about why certain actions weren't done earlier (eg meter change forms).
As of posting this review it's 3 weeks after the install, nearly 3 months after signing up with them, and the panels are still not connected to the meter box.

To summarise;
- Complete lack of attention to detail
- No prior research/inspection of the job until they turn up on the day
- Terrible communication
- Incredibly slow
- Will view their job as finished despite not actually being able to use the solar panels
- Will not organise metering change over
The system is installed and now we are waiting for Energex to install the meter. Show additional information
Sunterra not only came in with the lowest price, but after talking to the sale guy Steve, we opted for Micro Invetors based on the positioning of the panels over a standard single invertor. The installer came round on the agreed date/time and the work is awesome. They worked until after 6pm both days to get it done! They talked me through the positioning of the panels and then worked so hard getting the placement just right so it looks as awesome as it performs. The whole job was completed in 2 days and Im seeing a massive difference in my power bills already. (20 per day down to around 5 since the connection based on the Origin Energy app)

After sales service is also awesome, talking me through the warrenties, and calling to ensure Im happy with the system. We are struggling to get the enphase enlighten portal set up, but Kevin from Sunterra is working with me to get it sorted.

Absolutely delighted and would highly recommend to anyone in the Sydney Area!
One of your solar installers took 4 weeks to send me a quote, after which time i'd already booked in and paid a deposit for a system.

All of the quotes that I received from your suppliers were 40% dearer or more, compared to the system that I ended up purchasing. $5000 vs $7700 is a massive difference in price, for the exact same parts that make the system up.
I signed the contract with Sunterra on Dec 2016. The system was installed in late January but took them 4 months to organise the meter change etc with SA Power Networks. Finally I have the system switched on in late May 2017 but it only lasted 5 months before it stopped working. After three weeks emails, phone calls, I still have no resolution. During the process, I found they installed a 5KW inverter instead of a 6KW inverter specified in the signed contract. They blamed it on an ex-employee instead of the fact they were lack of governance of their operational process.
Now it looks like I have to go through ACCC or SA Consumer and Business Service. What a shame!
I emailed 5 companies and out of that 2 were keen to sell me a system, 1 was very slow replying and I am still waiting for the remainder. I chose companies off Finn's site by rating (although not via his quote engine, I had previously used that and found it useful) and used the site for researching some companies that had advertised good deals in the news paper.

Finns site was invaluable for education and decision making, thank you.

I chose Sunterra due to response time, quality of system offered and price. I went with a 3 phase Fronius with risen panels, 20+4 free. All in including electrician needing to additions to the board $4600.

The administration build up was painless and uninvolving, perhaps a little more communication would have been improved things.

The installation day was very good. The installer made a great job. The panels are mounted in one good neat block with minimal gaps, very neat. He was friendly, polite and knowledgeable. What more could you ask for.

The system has been working well now for 1 month peaking at 38kWH for a day which seems good to me.
Easy to deal with, prompt replies to questions. Installation was no fuss.
24x Risen panels. SMA Sunny Boy 5.0 Inverter ($4900)
I found the sales pitch was good always getting back to you etc.
The back end, organising the instal was not so good.
They returned calls and emails promptly. Fronius 5kW inverter 23x265watt Risen panels, $4,200. Installer even fixed a few other damaged tiles. Panels are north easterly and westerly to north. Making 30kW/h daily in early April. Better than predicted. Maximum peak output has been 5.6Kw on partly overcast days. Felt like a seamless easy project. Would recommend Sunterra. Show additional information
My system design was chosen by me using Finn's web site, which I found to be fantastic refinement of information. I got three quotes but all had a slighthly different opinions and prices ranged by 6k to 8k out of my pocket.

I saw an ad from Sunterra for a 5kw system for $3800, being sceptical, I asked what type of equipment was used, it was lower class inverter but had Risen class 1 panels, from there I ask for a number one inverter that came with a 10 year warranty for a bit extra.

What I got including:

24 Risen T1 Panels 265W (4 bonus panels with deal) 25/12 years guarantee and warranty
Fronius 3 Phase 5kw inverter 5+5 guarantee
Attachment system is the same as used by other suppliers (can't remember the name) aluminium coated with another metal on top to stop corrosion.
5 years install guarantee

Total cost after rebate....or out of my pocket $4500......... the 3 online quotes were more expensive and equipment varied.

Without Finn's site it would be an impossible task to work out which is good or bad, thank you Finn.
My panels are less than a year old, and has been working 5 months below the optimum capacity because Sunterra never kept their promise to send a technician over. So instead of generating 3kW on a bright sunny day, it's only generating a maximum of 2kW. And despite having called them for at least 4-5 times over a duration of 2 months, they have yet to send a technician over despite promising me every single time over the phone that they will. So now it's been over 4 months since I first found out that my panels weren't working properly. Very very disappointed with their services. I won't be recommending their services to anyone, really.

Hi Sue

We understand that you have concern over your solar output matter.

Can you pls send us private message to let us know what is your customer CRN number so that we can further assist you?

Once again we are very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks, Sunterra Team
3kW Sungrow inverter. 14 Risen panels. Pulls 25+ kW on a good day. Despite delays due to availability of Risen panels & a silly salesman stating the alternative was a "free upgrade", I will state that I am very happy with this purchase. Show additional information
All done with no hassles OR ADD ONS like some suppliers Show additional information
I chose a better quality inverter than their standard package with better monitoring (Fronius) panels chosen were Risen. The installation has been delayed due to illness of the installer then due to shortage of panels. I was offered alternative panels, but decided to wait as they were not a tier 1 panel and might have been ore of a risk long term. I have found the company good to deal with, helpful and straightforward, hopefully the installation will continue that process. Show additional information
Initially, was delivered incorrect panels but this was rectified promptly.
Installation staff including electrical contractors were very competent and informative.
Had a solar sales person from another company come and spent hours babling about everything except the price till i nearly fell asleep. then his price made me pass out. Then Phil from Sunterra came round, got to the point and done deal. the panels (3kw) are producing around 13.5 kwh/day and its winter, and with my roof, the panels arent even pointing north. The installers were surperb and didnt mind curious me hanging around. Extemely HAPPY overall. Show additional information
Most companies I contacted either took far too long to get back to me or didn't bother at all.
Sunterra did all the right things, they answered my call quickly, got a rep out quickly and he turned up when he said he would.
Installation was quoted at 6 weeks approx and was done on time (allowing for the Easter break).
My only concern was the fact that the installers did not do a proper clean up. I had to go around the garden picking up bits of plastic and cardboard etc and the panels and surrounding roof were covered with cement dust. The panels were installed only yesterday and today have produced 6 units and it has been high cloud all day until 2pm and fairly thick cloud from then on.
Renewable Logic made 2 appointments and both were unsuccessful.
Austech Solar and 9 Planets Energy never responded.
Sunterra is yet to do the installation but so far, the Customer Service is good.
Your service is good as the first step for anyone contemplating solar. I doubt most people would be able to educate themselves about the products and configurations available purely based on information from sales people. I spoke to about 6 to 8 of them and they ranged from reasonably good to very average. Show additional information