GI Energy

GI Energy is a SolarQuotes Installation Audit Participant

Latest audit: 27/09/2021

See full audit history

Design Steps
  • Cable selection based on voltage rise and drop
  • Production Estimates of the system
  • Isolator selection calculations
  • Calculated the correct voltages and current for labelling
  • String configuration voltages
Installation Steps
  • Job Safety Analysis
  • Panel Mounting
  • Inverter Mounting
  • AC/DC Cable Runs
  • Rooftop Isolator

Photos from the audit

GI Energy supply and install high quality solar equipment for customers who want solar that is built to last.

We treat our customers like family and our whole team is dedicated to being at your disposal whenever you need us, for the life of your solar system. We have been looking after people this way and helping Ozzys save money with high quality solar systems since 2011.
  • Platinum Supplier with SolarQuotes
  • LG Official Solar Partner
  • Gold Installer with Enphase
  • Diamond Dealer with Sumec Phono
  • Platinum Partner with sonnen
  • Tesla Powerwall Certified
  • One of the first ever CEC Approved Solar Retailers in Australia
  • Helping customers save money since 2011

The team that is here to help you is made up of electrical engineers, Clean Energy Council (CEC) Accredited Designers, CEC installers, experienced project managers and consultants who specialise in solar PV and energy reduction strategies. Our management team has over 37-years of combined solar experience.

Our mission is to build long-term relationships with our customers by providing market leading energy reduction strategies through innovation and advanced technology.

Reviewers report paying: $4,500 - $11,987 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

GI Energy Reviews (129)

A smooth and effective solar installation

The assessment and installation of the Solar system were handled professionally no matter which team member was involved throughout the process. We wish them equal success with future customers.

Couldn't have hoped for much better!

Everything went extremely well without a single hitch. The Joel (the GI sales rep) contacted me almost immediately upon the referral and provided me a quote onn the same day. More importantly, he answered all of my questions and provided with a great deal of information which supplemented my own research. Ryan from Ryzelect and his crew did the installation. They were polite, professional, and extremely efficient. I was most relived that they adhered to safety protocols considering the very steep pitch of our roof and its exposures to strong winds. The panels look even better than I expected! Vanessa from customer service was excellent, always keeping me apprised of every step. Great job. Thanks to the whole team! ...and to Solar Quotes for not only the referrals but for providing me a useful and comprehensive source for all of the information.

Great service from sale to installation!

Everything was seamless and professional. Tom in sales was fantastic and explained everything (multiple times so I understood) and knew the correct placement of our system & size required so we got the best return. He was very knowledgeable on the different brands and worked with us to stick to our budget. Come installation day - the installers were fantastic. I’ve never had such a clean, simple job happen at our house. Wouldn’t have even known they’d been working all day! Such a great experience all round! I highly recommend GI solar, a really great experience and I’m a very happy customer.

The most amazing team!

Thank you Joel for helping me with every detail. You made this a very easy experience and you gave me great advice and feedback. Thank you to the whole team for all your support throughout the process. My power bill has been substantially reduced.

Quick Installation

Excellent communication from the owner (Matthew) .Always free to answer any questions. - many times.
Installation was done in a timely manner. No time wasting.
Happy to recommend GI Energy. Have even taken the time to do follow calls to make sure we are happy with the work & working of the inverter /panels.

All round excellent

Very happy with all parts to this experience. Started with great customer service from Richard and continued right through to Ryan and his team of installers. Everything was super easy and all options presented openly with honest advice. It felt warm and genuine from the outset.

Too early to understand the impact on our bills, but the system has been cracking along a a great rate and it's still winter!

Would highly recommend a discussion with GI to see if they suit your needs.

Very happy with the service, installation & system performance.

Matt from GI Energy came out, looked over the property & surrounds & took the time to explain the system details & installation process. The quote arrived the same day & included comprehensive estimates of system performance, payback, etc... After looking at the proposed layout & location of the panels, I made a suggestion to split them to maximize the performance based on the orientation of the house & Matt agreed this would give us a slight advantage & they would do it at no additional cost - even though it would involve a little more time & materials to compete the job.

Wait time for the install was only about a week or so & the installers arrived early on the day & were done by early afternoon. The installation is very tidy & if I had to fault it, I'd say it would have been better to mount the ENE facing panels higher on the roof as the house next door does shadow them first thing in the morning. It probably only delays the sun hitting them by 15-30 minutes though, so not a big deal.

After the install GI notified my supplier (Origin) & I received an email from then within a few days that they would be coming out to change the meter, which end up taking about 3 weeks.

Overall I'm very happy with the installation & the system is performing above the estimates Matt provided at the start of the process. We are feeding back way more than we're buying, so earning $1.50 - $2.00 credit per day on average.

Great service and communication

I definitely recommend their services and will be contracting them again in the future.

Easy!

From start to finish the whole process was easy. A knowledgeable sales person came to the house provided all the information we needed and within a day we had a quote. The company did not pester us after this until we contacted them again to say that we were happy to go ahead. From there the electrician was friendly and helpful and then the day of installation was great. The guys worked quickly and efficiently. It was a pleasure to hear them happy at work. Highly recommend GI Energy!

Executive Solar Professionals

GI Energy; from humble beginnings to a fully functioning business that has grown in popularity throughout QLD and it’s no surprise customers find full satisfaction in service, product and end result. The team at GI Energy provide exceptional professionalism, full transparency from product to installation.

Together, Dan, Luke and Matt are profound thinkers distinguished for wisdom and sound judgment, providing
broad and deep competence in terms of knowledge, skill and experience when it comes to everything solar concentrated.

They are widely recognized as a reliable source of technique and skill whose faculty for judging or deciding rightly, justly, or wisely is in accordance with honesty and integrity.

I Couldn’t feel happier about my decision to go solar with GI Energy.
With intention to build a decent size property portfolio. There’s absolutely every reason to return.

Thanks a million guys. You’re well above the best and it’s easy to see why!

Tina.

A Fantastic Experience

From the outset GI Energy has been very professional, guiding us through the cost of installation and explanation of the products they used.
The installation was a breeze, the installers were punctual, polite and explained the whole process including the setting up of the app and guiding us through the it.
I would recommend GI Energy to anyone.

Both companies were great.

It was a difficult decision between two really good companies. They both offered expert installation and advice. I suppose using your website we felt that there was little chance of being ripped off. I have really enjoyed your website and info.

All to easy

Very professional from start to finish, really should have done this years ago

Awesome installer

Very thorough, yet simple consultation to ensure we got a system matched to our requirements.

The installers were very professional and friendly with great communication regarding the installation and operation of the system. They did a very neat job with both the panel installation on the roof and inverters in the garage, leaving our property spotless when finished.

I got notification from my electricity retailer 2 days after the installation confirming the order to connect to the grid had been received. I didn't need to do a thing as customer service organised this on our behalf.

So far, the system is performing better than estimated.

GI Get It Done

I was in favour of going with GI from the start because their team seemed to have the best understanding and advice aligning with what I wanted. Their price point was significantly higher than one of their competitors though. They made a significant adjustment to go close to matching the competitor and this was enough for me to accept. The system is now on the roof and it is pumping, although the weather hasn't been too kind. Can't wait to see what it can do in Summer

Great service from start to finish

Getting solar installed was very straightforward with the team at GI Energy. After getting 6 quotes I found GI Energy the easiest to deal with, the most informative and one of the few that didn't try to push me to a certain setup. They were patient while I requested lots of information and were always there to guide. No pushing me to make immediate decisions. After the order was placed their operations team guided me through the next steps and the installation team was fantastic. Very happy with the system and would highly recommend GI Energy to anyone looking to get solar.

Hassle free installation

Quick response from enquiry to installation. Professional at all times. They did everything for me. I just needed to sign the paperwork and pay the money. Very happy.

Original Review on 21-10-2020:

A Great Experience

Salesman believed in his product and checked immediately when he was unsure of any answer to my questions.

Installation commenced on time and roof top work was completed on the day. The team of two seemed to work well together. Unfortunately the follow up work in the switch box was delayed for six days. But when it was completed it was thoroughly done.

GI Energy office staff were polite thorough and efficient. They handled the paperwork and explained what I needed to do.

I am now waiting for the energy authority to update the meter.

8 months later we asked Kevin: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

The system has exceeded my expectations.

System size is 5.95 kW with no battery. 12 panels face North and 5 panels face East - mostly to cope with the roof shape. There is some shading from trees in the early morning and late afternoon. Fortunately the slope of the roof is about equal to the latitude.

The hot water system is controlled by a timer switch and is usually set to run between 10am and noon. This is because I have observed that clouds are more common in the afternoon. Although on a cloudy morning, if I notice, I will switch the hot water power supply off - it will stay hot for 2 or 3 days. Previously the hot water was heated at night on an off-peak tariff but this was coal-fired power. Changing to heat water from solar power has reduced the CO2 produced.

The peak power output has been - January 4.8kW, March 4.7kW, June 4.1kW
The average daily solar energy production has been - January 23.2 kWhr, March 19.5 kWhr, June 21.2 kWhr.

The system is producing more power in June than expected although in January it was producing slightly less power than expected, possibly due to above average rainfall then.

In speaking to my energy provider I was offered a better deal than was advertised on their own web site or the government comparison web site. The quantum is metered consumption 24c/kWhr and solar feed in credit 14c/kWhr.

My last bill of 87 days from March to June showed -
1) Average daily solar feed in of 15.8 kWhr
2) Average daily metered consumption 3.93 kWhr
3) Average daily quantum (inclusive of all charges less all credits) - $1.03 Credit

In summary - I'm earning about a dollar a day when I expected to pay about a dollar a day.

Start to finish Instaillation

I have spoken to quite a few solar companies over the years and after fact checking, none of them really gave me 100% accurate advice which turned me off the idea of getting solar. When I spoke to GI Energy they were really open and honest with the advice and everything checked out when I did my due diligence. I have a bit of shade on my roof from trees so they did a full report showing where the shade went over the day (which no one else did) and gave me options for using different types of inverters to help with the shading. They gave me seperate savings figures for different types of systems and were really patient allowing me to make an informed decision. The installation team was great - really polite and helpful. Even with my shading, in the middle of winter, my bill has gone down from $6.50 a day to $2.85 a day, even though I have added a pool and a pool heater (which uses heaps of energy apparently). We installed a 6.6kW system with a Fronius inverter. After the installation the consultant showed me how to use my solar monitoring so I can see how it is working. Out of all the companies I spoke to, these guys are streets ahead and I would highly recommend them to friends and family. Thanks GI!

Exceptional experience from the start through to the install!

I was in the early stages of finalizing our build in Logan Reserve. A lot of solar companies had no interest in speaking with me as we weren't ''ready to install'' and didn't have a set completion date. However, when I approached GI, Luke welcomed me with open arms. With Luke's advice we opted for our house to be built with 3-phase power after he explained the benefits for not only being able to power a bigger system (13kw), but also for the efficiency throughout the house. Offering advice on different systems to suit our budget and taking a genuine interest he was nothing but exceptional. Luke was in touch throughout the build process, having built himself he was able to offer great advice outside of the solar realm as well. Once we were ready to go, the system was up on our roof in no time. From Vanessa right through to the chief installer Byron, I was fulfilled with confidence that choosing GI Energy was the right decision. One month on the aftercare we have had has been amazing. The system has performed exactly how Luke explained it would and we have just received our first electricity bill resulting in it being in credit. Thanks Luke and the team for such a great experience, I can't recommend these guys enough.

GI energy saved me from the solar traps all the other guys set me up for

Hassle free instal by a really professional crew great follow up service and the right advice from the get go.

I don’t normally write reviews but for these guys I’ll make an exception it’s the least I can do as they saved me from making the wrong choice that was being pedalled by other suppliers.

If your going solar and don’t at least talk to these guys you will be doing yourself a quality and financial injustice.

Great until installation delays.

Salesman was great and answered every question we had and many more that we hadn't thought of. The 1st installation team were also great to deal with. We were surprised to find that they actually worked for compnay that supplied our 2nd ranked quote that we received - the company we went with sub contracts the installation to them.

The problem arose when it rained and understandably the guys could not continue to work on the roof (no ones fault there). So they stacked the panels against the house and said they would be back as soon as possible (the possibility of the next day (Friday) or the following week was mentioned) and the office would be in contact to confirm. When we did hear from the office the following afternoon, the earliest data offered was 3.5 weeks later and thus our installation is still not complete almost 2 months after accepted our quote.

Thank you for taking the time to review our company.

We apologise that the install has taken longer than planned, I can understand the frustration of waiting, this is never our intention. We do pre warn our customers on booking that sometimes unforeseen circumstances can cause installs to take longer than expected, we also advise that we may not be able to return the next consecutive day. The problem here is you were told one thing by the installer on the day and that differed from the reality, the installers would know that installs are booked up for the next 8-10 weeks, especially as weather has caused delays for other customers also. We can see why this caused frustration and for that again we are sorry.

The delay with your install should not detract from the fact you have a great system and it's backed by our service. Once you are up and running we will make sure the rest of your experience is great, like the rest of our clients who are really happy with what we do.

AAA Sales Installation Service

Sales and Quoting A1 totally transparent factual and for us very understandable.

Installation A1 Punctual efficient excellent crew quick and sound
After Sales Service A1, the staff of GI Energy were second to none, most impressed with all the technical advice and assistance to help us decipher our system and to read and understand its operation, which in the long term will definitely save us money.

Very professional service

Excellent communication leading up to installation GI kept me informed. Installers efficient, helpful in setting up app. No mess left when finished.

Professional Job

The Sales & Quoting process was very professional. Comprising of site visit and inspection, followed by an in depth discussion of installation and Time Frame. Luke, the GI Energy representative, presented as an extremely professional individual resulting in me being extremely confident in his product and the proposed installation.

The installation took place on the previously agreed date and time. The installation crew were fully aware of the work scope and diligently worked accordingly. They were polite, competent and kept me fully aware of progress at all times.

Upon completion of the install, I was given a brief rundown of the system and was shown confirmation of where they had contacted the power supplier so that they could then complete the meter alterations required.

GI Energy later followed up and visited me again to ensure that all was operating satisfactorily. I would have no hesitation in recommending or using GI Energy should the opportunity arise.

Excellent initial contact. Very thorough explanations. Installation team arrived when scheduled and were very efficient.

Excellent initial contact. Very prompt. Thorough explanations, both verbally and in follow-up emails.

Installation tea arrived as scheduled. Very efficient. Tidy and polite.

Follow-up contact from supplier. Helped with organising new smart meter.

Fantastic installer

Quoting process was easy. All questions answered comprehensively. Competitive quote. Installation was efficient. Very punctual. Customer service was second to none

Original Review on 19-09-2020:

top quality install

Easy process from start to finish ,all questions asked were answered in a timely manner. Quality install on the day we had arranged, would reccomed these guys. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Brett: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Have had system running for 12 months without any problems . Power bills have been down to estimated cost or lower, overall totally happy with the system from beginning to installation .

GI Energy

Very helpful, not pushy sales process,
Installation went very well. Professional, tidy, and punctual
Customer service has been flawless so far

Professional service, seamless installation and great communication

Luke from GI Energy assisted us through the process of selection of an ideal system for our location, quotes, educating about the benefits of various features and eventually installation of the system.
Luke and his team are highly professional in their service with excellent communication throughout the process.
Post installation Luke was kind enough to check if everything went well and if there were any issues he was willing to trouble shoot them.
I would highly recommend GI Energy for anyone considering solar installation for their home.

Great customer experience

We are very happy with our dealings with GI Energy. They offered fantastic customer service.
Peter (sales) was knowledgeable, no pressure and took the time to listen to our needs and found a product to suit or needs within our budget.
The installer was friendly, tidy and turned up on time.
Vanessa (admin) was equally as friendly and helpful.
We are happy to recommend GI Energy.

Fantastic service

Right from the beginning of the process I had a great experience. Thomas was very informative and the installation crew were very polite and friendly. Cleaned up all the rubbish and took it with them. I was given a two hour window and they turned up on time. Vanessa kept us informed of our progress and organised the grid connection for us. Would recommend this company to all I know who are looking at getting solar

Would recommend this company and the installers they used.

Easy, sales staff friendly & helpful.
Installers were polite, punctual & friendly.
Good customer service.

Original Review on 08-09-2020:

A job well done.

All our communications with GI Energy were by phone. Firstly with Matt Williams in sales who was very informative and easy to deal with and not at all pushy, like a lot of sales people. After we accepted the quote we dealt with Vanessa in the office, who was very knowledgeable and always returned and calls promptly. The installation went smoothly and the installers did a good job and left the site clean after they finished. Overall we were happy with the whole process. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Carey: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Very happy with our system. We are $136 in credit after 6 months which is above expectations.

Installation booked for May 24. The job was contracted to another company who was slow and unreliable.

GI solar sun contracted to another company who were slow and unreliable. I spoke to Vanessa from GI solar last week and she has put me on to Solarwise Wagga who have completed site visit and booked installation date this morning.

Experienced and courteous staffs

Very knowledgeable staff from sales to installer. Excellent website and review regarding panel and inverters.
Installed within stated timeframe and help hide the wiring to minimise visual impact on rest of the house.
Have hand in paperwork to retailer and keep me informed throughout the process.
Thank you!

Fantastic in every aspect. Very happy with my solar unit. Thank you very much

Very happy with my solar. And very handy having the app on my phone to monitor what my solar is producing. My bills have dropped dramatically! Thanks guys

A fantastic experience

I can't recommend GI Energy and Luke and his team highly enough. They were great to deal with, prompt, friendly and the intallation process went without a hitch. They use quality panels and inverters and give good back up service. The whole process from initial enquiries, quoting, design of the system and installation was no hassle at all. A job well done!

Waste of time

Peter the salesperson was fantastic. Took the time to understand my needs and quote exactly what I wanted. The company then failed to deliver... Anything.

4 weeks after deposit was paid I had heard nothing and had to chase them. The installer failed to even show up, then failed to return calls. They wouldn't put the install date in writing. They only answer emails when I threatened to cancel the job. Which I did. Now waiting for my deposit back.

We are sorry that we were unable to deliver the solar system you were promised.

Thank you for giving Peter the credit he deserves, he really is a caring individual who always gives our customers the best service possible.

Our installation team in your area unfortunately let us down which resulted in you wishing to cancel your installation. Understandably, we refunded your deposit right away. We have never, nor will we ever keep a customer's deposit due to a cancellation caused by delays outside of the customers control.

In 10-years of GI Energy installing solar systems, this is a first for us. We have now put new systems in place internally that prevent this from happening to customers in the future.

In relation to our own communication, we pride ourselves on great customer service and although our install team has not lived up to our usual high standards on this occasion, we have tried to communicate as effectively as possible with you during these delays.

Sorry again for not delivering on your solar, thank you for giving us the opportunity.

GI Energy are brilliant

GI Energy were by far the best. with the temporary shading issues we have, they gave us a solution that works being an enphase system, where others pushed to waste our money with a system that wouldn't cope with the shade. Tom and the team were awesome from the start and continue to give fantastic customer service.
We requested finance through Humm as Bright rejected an application, even though our income is more than adequate. The price below includes the total interest that Humm charges upfront.

Solargain refused to talk to us or give a quote without finding out the situation and based their decision off old photos of the property..

Excellent experience

Sales process was excellent. Came to our property and explained everything in detailing, highlighting much of what you say on your website. 13kw system installed on the day - no issues whatsoever. Just waiting to hook with my energy supplier to start getting the benefits of it. Very good experience overall.

Great job and price GI Energy.

Solar Quotes prompt and definitive. Three choices all replied and gave efficient quotes.

Install was on time and painless.

Had to reduce the number of cells due to lack of space on roof as determined by aerial calculation.
No quibbles on panel refund. Note: all the quotes made the same deduction on numbers.

Still waiting for new meter and grid connection. Not GI Energy's problem.

Good result all round. Thanks to all.

Quality, great value and super efficient install

GI Energy were excellent from start to finish. Stayed in contact and were professional and super-efficient. The local installer Ryzelect was excellent and it was a very neat install.

Original Review on 26-08-2020:

Expensive but hopefully worth it

Quoting process was done over the phone. Would have preferred someone visit us.
The guys who did the installation were really good.

8 months later we asked Brent: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Have had the solar for approximately 1 year, and haven't had any issues. The performance has certainly met our expectations.

Thoroughly Recommend this Company

We were happy with GI Energy with their professionalism from start to finish in helping us through the maze of understanding a solar system and how it all works and the benefits to be gained.

We were very happy with our choice of solar panel as we believe it is now one of the best on the market.

We were very impressed with the installers as they were very professional and worked without any mess left behind and gave us once again more advice on how the panels work and ran us through the complete system including the inverter.

We would thoroughly recommend this company and their panels as well as their installation company.

Gi Energy

Great experience from start to finish. Salesperson wasn't pushy and weren't trying to get us to buy something we didn't need.
Tradies were upfront and honest.
A few tiles were cracked in the process but they informed me straight away and they replaced them.
Very smooth process from start to finish.
Tradies cleaned up their mess and did a very neat and tidy job.

Unsatisfactory installation of inverter

I can't default the consultant Joel Atkins ,the quoting price is reasonable ..GI Energy uses Advanced Electrical Supply to install the product I am having issues with Advanced E.S., still waiting for them to fix or properly connect or re-align the connector hose to the inverter which is being held by rubber hose. I know this is wrong as I have another Sungrow inverter with all the right connection in place. They are not that friendly I have to ask for their names, & they didn't take extra precaution while walking on the roof, they broke more than 10 roof tiles & left a broken tile which was replaced now, also when they put the ladder, no cushion to protect the gutter I have to remind them to put something underneath the ladder for protection for my gutter. The first day of site inspection was windy, * ladder slide through the end of gutter end, & when we had rain, it leak. There are few more issues but the inverter connector hose is the priority one. I trusted Mr. Peacock with good reviews about GI Energy, hopefully this can be rectified. ... Thank You

We are sorry you are not entirely happy with your solar installation Evelyn. Your solar install was unfortunately planned to be installed when NSW experienced a 1 in 100 year storm which resulted in record levels of rain and major disruption to all services including solar installs. Despite our best efforts, we were not able to install through this weather and some solar arrays had to be rebooked to be completed safely after the chaos had passed. For your install specificall, we returned to complete your install 4 working days after it was originally planned. As much as we would love to be able to control the weather and never delay installations, sometimes it is just not possible to do so safely.

Unfortunately, with any work on concrete tile roofs, there is always a chance tiles can break. We always make customers aware of this verbally and in writing and ask customers to have spares tiles ready so we can replace any that are compromised when working on the roof. On this occasion, there were some tiles affected which we replaced with new ones promptly.

In relation to your comments about the inverter connection, you are correct, this was done differently to your other installation of which you sent us some photos. However, it was not installed incorrectly, unsafely or in an inferior way. The way your inverter was installed was using T rated Heavy Duty Conduit whereas the installation on your other property, which was completed by others, was installed using exposed UVrated cable. The reason we install our inverters this way is to add extra protection. The standards as to whether this extra protection is needed is down to interpretation. Whenever there is a "grey area" with standards our installation team will always include the extra protection over exposed cable, which is commonly seen as a much better installation practice, it may not look the same as your other one but there is a safety reason behind it. However, as we have discussed with you we can change this to suit your requirements if you prefer the aesthetics of having exposed cable like your other inverter.

We are always looking at ways of improving our install quality and customer experience and we have taken your comments very seriously.

At GI Energy, we will always follow through any concerns customers have with their solar system and we are committed to having happy customers. We are here to look after you and at the time of writing this response to your review we are organising for the inverter to be changed to meet your request.

Professional from the first call.

GI Energy.
The quoting process was very professional, informative and easy to understand. Installation was done by one person who was quick and tidy. He arrived on time and explained the process to me as well as the operation of the system and a few hints and tips with solar. Administration staff were very helpful and kept me up to date with the process. They helped to organise grid connection after the installation.
Highly recommend GI Energy.

job well done

yes to.all of the above.. everyone was punctual and polite and all went as we discussed. no bumos in the road..so far very happy with our instalation from beginning to end.

A cut above to others I spoke to

Great, from the outset of getting a few quotes it was clear GI are a professional organisation.
The BDM took time to explain everything and offer different options based on quality and budget. Others I dealt with asked me what I wanted and then just went on to be the cheapest quote.
GI's installer Darren was great, his attention to detail was outstanding and they went above to make sure the system not only worked correctly but also the install looked sharp and clean.
It's all working well and I can see it in real time on the app.
I would happily recommend GI to anyone looking for a solar set up.