Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd

Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd Reviews

4.4

Based on 181 ratings  - Aus Ranking

Hawking Electrical have been trading as an Electrical Contractor here on the Gold Coast since 1990 and have been involved in the solar industry for the last 3 years. During this time we have developed a solar division in our business where the operations manager has been designing, installing and managing solar projects for the last 8 years.

Our company employs in excess of 60 staff members and we have approx. 38 electrical vehicles on the road. We sub-contract to some of the most active Home and Commercial Project Builders in South East Queensland.

We are Master Electricians.

We offer prompt and courteous staff, professional installations and realistic advice, competitive prices and obligation free quotes.

We pride ourselves on providing customers with the right information and solution for them. We do not just sell one size fits all systems. We tailor our solutions to each household and base our calculations on their consumption patterns.

Our inverters and solar panels are sourced from long standing reliable suppliers, we do not direct import. Combine that with our quality staff, 25 year trading history, ongoing electrical contracting work, solar experience, means we can truly offer you service and peace of mind over your warranty period.

We look forward to helping as many people as possible realise the benefits of going solar!

Reviewers report paying: $4,600 - $7,400 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd Reviews (181)

Leclanche

Battery Brand

Original Review on 08-07-2020:

Overall quite happy

Overall I am happy, my only dissapointment was once i signed the agreement for a 8kw system, they were hard to contact as I wanted to increase the size to a 10.65kw system, this threw them a little in the customer service side of things. I was very happy that I could have black rails and fittings on the front array.

Follow Up Review on 16-03-2021:

We have saved on every bill since installing solar
Hide Darren's Comment

more than 30kW

More than $20,000

Risen

Knowledgeable and Professional

An appointment was made for an online video meeting.
The meeting discussed solar options and showed existing systems with monitoring software.
Very punctual with the quote and fully detailed.
Installation seemed to go ok but did have some concerns during the installation. Finished installation is tidy and looks professional
Hide Garry's Comment

Original Review on 15-06-2020:

so far, so good

Good initial information and discussion of system by Zoom meeting.
Some delay on installation but work was efficient and thorough when they did the job.
Poor follow up when I had to chase down Hawkings to get our meter changed by Essential Energy.
Promises not followed up on, many calls needed to get things moving

Follow Up Review on 15-02-2021:

Absolutely! We are so happy that we chose Hawkings and the panels/system/inverter they recommended. Hawkings quote was $2000-$3000 more expensive than the others . We chose them because they convinced us that their superior panel optimiser system would compensate for 2 trees that partially shaded our roof. Both other companies said we would have to remove the trees, at an extra cost of several thousand dollars.
Our electricity bills are now CREDITS of an average $110 per quarter (even after the poles and wires charges) and we have calculated that if we can keep the same 21c k/w hour rebate from our supplier the solar system will pay for itself in 5.17 years. (Origin Energy actually credit us in cash!)
Thanks for your helpful website and service. You pointed us in the right direction and towards the best suppliers.
Hide John's Comment

Inverter Brand

Terrible after sales (problem with inverter)

Word of caution, sometimes companies will sell you anything under the sun.
I was impressed with their sales pitch and eventually signed up with Hawking Solar.

The install went smoothly and the quality of the system appears not too bad.

BUT, when we had a problem with the inverter, they took ages to come back to us and gave us the wrong information.
The problem is still not rectified, we are pretty disappointed because we gave them business and even referred 2 successful leads to them.

Please do your research and avoid my mistake if possible.

Hide Jerry's Comment

Inverter Brand

High quality system from a professional company

I had a 8.1kW system installed by these guys. I got 3 quotes and this was by far the best quote/design process I had. Its also my second solar instal (after a house in Tassy) and was by far better than the 3 quotes/designs I got down there as well. The installation was a breeze, the guys got stuck in and were definitely polite, puctual and cleaned up after themselves. The customer service is good and they even gave me a credit towards the bill when delayed around COVID lock-downs. They then made sure I had access to the apps for monitoring and meters were changed. I'd definitely recommend you get a quote from these guys.
Hide Ben's Comment

Hawking Electrical

Sales and quotes process was quick and easy over zoom. Reviewed other quotes and provided comparisons. Installation hasn't happened yet but the dates booked. Customer service has been great but was a bit quiet, understandable for the start of the year though.
Hide Leigh's Comment

Review removed at the request of the reviewer

Learn More

more than 30kW

More than $20,000

1 The sales and quoting was very good
2 The installation was average, they put a crack in my ceiling which got fixed, however the plaster/painter used was not very good at all. Also the installation was quite messy leaving cardboard on my roof, not tidying up as I would expect, also seemed to knock quite early. Cracked a few corners of several roof tiles which they fixed with silicon instead of replacing the tiles, while I had plenty of tiles available. They said didn’t warrant replacing can silicon ok... a bit disappointed with that.
3 I have not heard back from customer service as yet, although my meter should be getting exchanged by Origin today so I might get contacted after that.
Hide Robert's Comment

nice installers and knowledge

good quoting on time and information.
very good installation team
yes they organized the grid connection

Hide Kevin's Comment

Inverter Brand

Customer-centred company: a breath of fresh air

My initial contact point with Hawking Solar was with James from the design team. We had a Zoom session, where he went over the optimal design based on my roof configuration and my requirements. Out of all the other companies, James from Hawking was the only one that managed to pick the correct house (Google maps had it wrong).

James worked tirelessly in ensuring all my questions and multiple variations in configuration were addressed.

The installation team were not sub-contracted out (an important point for me). They were friendly, punctual, professional and tidied up after themselves. On the day of the installation, the lead installer identified that due to the sewerage vent pipe, the configuration of the layout needed to be changed to ensure optimal performance. This was identified early on, and well communicated to me.

I'm very happy with the end product: the system has been performing flawlessly since it was switched on (which only happens if and when you have a bidirectional meter - done by your energy retailer). Cameron informed Energex of the install within 1 hour of the installation team leaving.

The process was 95% smooth, but Sandeep was extremely proactive in addressing a pre-install issue that occurred, so my overall experience was 100% positive. Good customer service is hard to find these days, and if that's something you value, then I definitely recommend Hawking Solar, from my first hand experience.

My system is 10.5kW, with 30x Hyundai PERC shingled HiE-S350SG panels, coupled with SolarEdge P401 panel optimisers, and a SolarEdge SE1000H inverter. I also chose to add a dumb hot water timer for when the heat pump is installed.
Hide Kunal's Comment

Great Job - Just waiting for the Hookup

The sales/quoting was as good as being there (which with covid was sensible) and pitched at a good quality system with some eye on the price. They were super-fast off the blocks, the intro email arrived before Finn's, in the early hours of the morning, about 2.5 hours after I contacted Solarquotes. I don't think that would happen every time but impressive.
They followed up and passed on to the scheduling seemlessly, and there were some very stiff competition from the other companies put forward by Solarquotes, some less price on panels, some variations available with the inverters, but Hawking had the best balance for our situation.
I got some interesting further advice on the panels and inverter, and shall be keeping an eye on the performance as the inverter may require some maintenance because of the greater complexity with the individual optimisers, which when we adjusted the layout to eliminate as much as practicable the shadows may not have been necessary. (The map view doesn't necessarily show the height of the retaining walls that then affects how soon the shadows come across the lower parts of the roof)
The installers were punctual and easy to work with/around and kept the inconvenience to a minimum. The only thing I could say contrary and having to think about it, was that they forgot to reconnect the hot water when they had to stop work when the storm arrived earlier than anticipated, and they were busy getting the panels under cover at the other end of the house. Like taking a quarter of a mark off for not spelling jurisprudence correctly)

They finished up as soon as they could, and very much appreciated, and showed me through the remaining process - hooking upto the grid, which we're still waiting on - energy company's job any day now. So I can't complete the review until I'm happy with the outcome. But they sorted all the extraneous bits - connection and STCs and so on.

Great stuff. Let's see if the stuff performs to specs (and I appreciate their conservative estimates for power output and time for recoup investment - they didn't have much to go on)
Hide Duncan's Comment

Great experience all around

I received many quotes and dealt with many companies when researching my installation. Hawking were the only ones who didn't annoy me during this initial contact, and who didn't hound me while I made up my mind. On top of that they had the best price, and the longest workmanship warranty.

Installers were friendly and professional. We had a single hiccup - someone knocked the whirly-bird on the roof just enough that it made a ticking sound when spinning, which wasn't caught in the noise of install. No one is faultless. I judge not on an impossibly flawless record, but on how a company responds and fixes issues - which they did brilliantly. I called about the problem and the same guys came back the next day and fixed it, no dramas.

After sales service was no issue either, I was sent logins and documents without delay.

Overall great experience, highly recommended.

Hide Ethan's Comment

Great experience

Great experience with this mob. Keith the salesperson was thorough, knowledgeable and helpful. Cameron the delivery coordinator kept me informed all throughout the process, installation dates and what to expect. Scott Ransome the electrician who installed our system was professional and detailed in the way he explained and subsequently installed the panels and inverter. I highly recommend Hawking
Hide Jerry's Comment

AAA Company.

Customer service AAA
Price and Quality AAA
Really easy to deal and communicate with. Onsite installers really polite and on time.

Hide Darren's Comment

Inverter Brand

Easy to work with, they organised And supplied a system that works with the shade issues that I have on my roof.
Hide Mark's Comment

We contacted our Electricity Supplier
Fantastic customer service
Hide Dianne's Comment

Inverter Brand

The installation trades turned up on time and simply got on with the installation and tidied up after themselves. They were polite and business like.

Hawke Electrical were professional and business like to deal with.
Hide Ron's Comment

Great installation

Initial contact was made via email then a phone call to setup a time for the quote to be completed via a zoom consultation, this allowed the sales team to show me where the panels were to be installed on a model of my house and in which orientation they were to be placed to maximise the exposure to the sun throughout the day. all questions were answered and the sales person (Michael) was able to bring up various web sites to further answer and explain any questions I had.
Installers arrived at the appointed time and I was introduced to the team followed by a further explanation of what work was about to be carried out. Some adjustments were made to the original plan to further maximise the placement of the panels
The installation team cleaned up after they had finished the job. Some tiles were were cracked during the installation which can happen due to the age of the tiles. I obtained some replacement tiles and Scott returned the next day to replace them.
The whole sales and installation process was completed in a friendly and timely fashion and they answered all of my questions then assisted with grid installation by setting up the appropriate paperwork and showing me how the system works.
Further emails from the sales team followed over the next few days to see if I was happy with how the work was completed
Overall a good company to deal with and I would recommend them to others looking for solar
Hide Richard's Comment

Review

Sales/quoting: ok
Installation: Pretty good
After sales service: ok

BUT it would be good, after us spending $5000, for someone to spend 5 minutes with us, face to face here, to go over things. Solar is a totally new concept for most customers and just feel we'd be a lot more comfortable quicker with regard to going over inverter settings, software setup on phone/tablet etc, if we had the above 5 minutes

Hide Trevor's Comment

Great Gold Coast Solar System

We got two quotes through SolarQuotes as well as a few others directly ourselves. We were fortunate enough to be recommended to Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions and I would be very pleased to recommend them to anyone else.

The quoting process was the most unique of all the companies we dealt with but also the easiest. Hawking Solar book in a web meeting with you at a time that suits. For me this was outside of normal working hours which didn't cause any issues for them. I was a bit sceptical that a web meeting would work but it was really great. I got to see and speak to James from Hawking directly. He has easily accessible screen shots 3D images of our house and roof and could add levels of shading etc at the touch of a button. He answered all my questions and talked through the advantages and disadvantages of different options. From this experience and also having some in-home quotes made me realise there is absolutely no advantage of an in-home quote!

After committing to the project the communication from the team was good and installation took place on the right day and time. Scott who headed up the installation was punctual and explained exactly what was happening and helped reconfigure the solar panels slightly to a better position.

Connecting to the grid took 4 weeks which I understand is pretty much standard when coordinating between Energex and service provider... but it felt like a long 4 weeks. With the system up and running for a few days now I have been really really happy with the SolarEdge analytics and am looking forward to seeing how the system works through the spring and summer.

Overall I'm very happy with the whole process and feel like I have invested wisely in a system that is not cheap and nasty but will work for me for many many years.

Hide Geoff's Comment

Original Review on 20-11-2019:

Neat & Tidy work

Install was completed on day proposed all works well all my questions answered site left clean

Follow Up Review on 21-07-2020:

will continue to monitor may need some more panels as I haven't maxed out yet and some days have been below par so I could put more how do I check panels are working correctly
Hawkings have not contacted me regarding any customer feedback or system check so a bit sad about that

Regards

PM
Hide Paul's Comment

3.3kW

Zeversolar

Inverter Brand

Very unsatisfactory. I have had a broken zeversolar inverter under warranty. My electricity bill was through the roof because I am not generating any solar power.
I have Hawking Electical Solar who are not responding to emails or phone calls.
I am very unhappy and frustrated. I have contacted the ACCC and the Department of Fair Trading to see if they can help me.

Hide Karen's Comment

Original Review on 15-10-2019:

Good Installation, Happy with results

The only problem with the install was that it was delayed twice from the original date. This was apparently due to injury & illness of workers which does happen sometimes.

Follow Up Review on 15-06-2020:

Hide Jeremy's Comment

Excellent

Hawking were fantastic for customer service and due to shading issues for my property we’re the only one out of the many quotes who spoke to me of this and options. Install team were polite and on time.
Can not wait to see this system work (only 3 days old)
Hide Shelley's Comment

Original Review on 07-08-2019:

Follow Up Review on 22-04-2020:

Yes it has I wasn’t completely sure what to expect at the time of getting my solar system but now I’m really happy I did. No more power bills.
Hide Craig's Comment

Inverter Brand

Poor quality install as well as unsafe and not to standard

The Sales person that came out was very knowledgeable and was great to deal with, after that there is not much nice to say about this company, to start with I paid my deposit and thought I had locked in an install date only to get a email to change the date with a couple of days notice delaying the install by a fortnight, on the day of the install 2 out of the 3 people turned up late and they did not have all the gear to complete the job, I am an electrician and because they knew this they asked and I was able to supply them with some parts to be able to finish the install.

After the install I inspected the work and found the work they did on my front switch board was unsafe and also not to current standards, it also appeared they had used some second hand parts to complete the job. Apart from the unsafe and not to current standard work that I fixed myself I found both isolator brackets were loose and one only had one screw to hold it, several of the panels have large scratches on them and they had run the conduit through the roof over the man hole restricting access to the roof space.

It took several phone calls to get them to submit the paperwork to get the meter replaced and also to get someone to come out and go over the system to make sure there were no other issues, once he was gone and after yet another phone call they finally got the app working so that I could see if the system was working. This led to me finding that the current transformer that monitors the power usage had been installed backwards. So after one more call I managed to get them to complete the set up of the app so that it was working correctly and they said they would send out the head electrician to go over the system.

After a couple of appointments they were unable to make he came out on a Saturday to go over the system. He said they would replace the scratched panels and fix up a couple of other things as well as fix another none compliant issue. I tried to call after 2 weeks and they said we was on leave and they will update me when he gets back it is so far been 2 more weeks and I am yet to hear from them I will try and call next week but I am pretty sure that I will get the run around again.

In closing the job I got from them was every thing the bad reviews for other companies say. I would suggest if you have used these guys that you get another electrical company out to make sure the work is compliant and safe. If you have yet to use them I would suggest you go with other companies over them if your experience is the same as the worst review for them than at a minimum you will get a the same runaround and probably a safe and compliant job as well as saving a few thousand dollars.

If they end up fixing the issues that I currently have with the system or as a bare minimum I get some sort of response from them I will leave an update but I would not hold my breath.
Hide Ben's Comment

SMA

Inverter Brand

Would not go with anyone else. Best in the business

Great install. Very happy with product and installers. Just need to communicate a bit better, call me instead of me chasing them. Place was left very clean, installers were Organised and communicated everything they were doing.
Hide Jae's Comment

Inverter Brand

We choose Hawking Solar due to there fast and responsive sales follow up and then presenting us with a excellent quality inverter and solar panel option that would set us up to gain maximum power savings. We found them very professional throughout the install and then setting up of the monitoring and 24 hour back up of monitoring the performance.
Hide Mike's Comment

Quality System

Everything went well but I have to wait 6 weeks for my energy retailer to change the meter ..so my solar system is just sitting in the roof ...doing nothing
Very disappointed with AGL
Hide Allan's Comment

Risen

Great system, Great price, Bit of a lag in installation

Had this system (Risen/Enphase) on for just under two years and couldn't be happier. Hawking were easy to deal with, just a little slow on getting it on on the roof due to wet weather on jobs before mine and the December rush.

They did a better price on an enphase system using larger 72 cell panels (therefore fewer panels/microinverters per kW) that other installers didn't offer.

Installation was painless, the team was on time, quick and polite. After sales support has been fine. Haven't needed to contact them but they have emailed me a couple times to let me know my system wasn't reporting (wifi problems at my end).

Hide Evan's Comment

Original Review on 27-02-2019:

Not installed yet, quite a long lead time before installation.

Quality of System: N/A
Installation: N/A
Customer Service: N/A

Follow Up Review on 03-11-2019:

Initially some of the panels were not connected during installation, but difficult to detect due to shading. Now that has been rectified, the 10.89kW panels on 8.2kW inverter is maxxed out at 8.3kW for a good portion of the day in summer.
Hide Colin's Comment

Original Review on 21-02-2019:

Happy with service so far

Installation: N/A

Follow Up Review on 24-10-2019:

System has met all expectations
Hide Jonathan's Comment

Q-Cell (Other)

*** Excellent ***

Once again, thank you for your professionalism and service you have both provided us through out completion of our solar project.

Please pass my thank you onto the entire team whoever was involved in the installation procedure today, they really did a great job!

Hide Attila's Comment

Q Cell (Other)

Inverter Brand

Great customer service = great savings

James has been fantastic to deal with. Really knows what he is talking about. Any questions I had, James had answers that other companies just couldn’t provide.
Aaron and team did a really neat job with the install, we couldn’t be happier. Luke the apprentice was very informative and kept me updated both days they were installing. James and his after sales has been second to none. We are set up on our phones and watching our usage. Even the communication via email and the office girls, hasn’t missed a beat. Thank you Hawking Solar.

Hide Miranda's Comment

Original Review on 06-12-2018:

Follow Up Review on 07-08-2019:

We’ve been very impressed with our 6.6kw system. Our first two quarters have been slightly in credit. Our winter quarter bill was only $40 (used to be $500).
Hide Zoe's Comment

Cost

It is obviously inadvisable to rate a system as fantastic when one has experienced it for less than 48 hours! However, by all reports, references and research, it promises to be an excellent system all round, carefully considered and installed and at a very acceptable price. We were also very happy to have a panel upgrade to a new release at the original quoted price, so slightly increasing our potential capacity.
The only minor glitch and failure on Hawking's part was a communication error/omission in the scheduling department, causing the installation team to arrive on the date first offered to us when we had already booked to be interstate. It was a bit alarming to neighbours who called me after I'd missed some calls from the installer (being on holiday in an earlier time zone!). Fortunately, they were still able to honour the date to which we had agreed by phone and all went smoothly with the installation: a pleasant and hard-working team.
Hide Tom's Comment

4kW

Original Review on 02-11-2018:

Hawking Energy Solutions have installed the enphase micro-inverter system which I understand is the most advanced system on the market. This system comprises 12 x REC 350w 2 perc panels plus 12 new iQ7 enphase micro inverters which means that it is all A/C on the roof. The power that is produced is more than adequate for my 3 bed duplex but the system can be expanded one panel at a time and it is simple to add a battery system if needed. My system is also expected to produce 9% more energy due to the inverter function being on the roof and a full usage monitoring system was included in the price. The two installers were extremely efficient on the day and the after-service from Hawking has been excellent. If you are new to the workings of solar technology I would still advise any potential buyer to get onto Finn Peacock's Solar Quotes website so that you can fully understand how the technology works and what is best for you.

Follow Up Review on 25-06-2019:

The Hawking system has performed way above my expectations in terms of running costs which has in turn more than compensated for moderately higher costs of intallation.
Hide Christopher's Comment

20kW

$15,000 to $20,000

Cost

Great experience overall with Hawkins, Keith their salesperson was simply excellent. The entire team went well above my expectations, would highly recommend them to anyone on the Gold Coast or Brisbane.
Hide Paul's Comment

9kW

Cost

Just installed yesterday, very happy with the service & everything went smoothly, now waiting for our power supplier to change the metre and start saving us money.
Hide Sue's Comment

Positive Residential Solar Installation Experience

After obtaining 3 quotes from the Solar Quotes recommended providers we chose Hawking Solar primarily because of the very professional way in which the options were presented and explained to us, including the expected efficiency of the panels and estimated payback period. We purchased a 10.85kW REC 350W Twin Peak 2S Panel system with a Fronius Primo 8.2 Inverter. Although there were some minor setbacks during the installation phase, the office staff at Hawking Solar kept us fully informed regarding scheduling of the work. Overall the experience with Hawking Solar has been a positive one and we would recommend them to family and friends.
Hide Blair's Comment

N/A

Great to deal with!

These guys know their products and have been really good with providing me feedback and they answered all my technical question (and I had many questions) before I signed up. The installers were very professional and polite. I would say their pricing is reasonable and they seemed to have a solution for most people's budgets and roof setups.
Hide Yani's Comment

N/A

Cost

Very Positive Experience with both companies that I had quotes from.
Hawking Electrical have kept me informed regarding the process and I am looking forward to having my system installed next week.
Hide Lorraine's Comment

Cost

From the start I wanted a quality system.

I had gone through 3 quotes with different companies when a work colleague recommended Hawking Electrical & Solar. Keith thought an Enphase inverter would suit my property, as it's not a string inverter it responds better with shade, I have trees and live in a bushland area. After doing a bit more research I was convinced Enphase was for me as it can also be turned off from the mains so there is no electricity on the roof, this would make my house much safer in a bushfire (you never know).

Out of respect, I rang the other companies who had already quoted, put in the time and effort to tell them of my decision, one company asked to give me a quote on Enphase with Sunpower panels, after a hard sell and convincing me around. I told Keith I signed with them, wishing me well he inquired what I had bought. Keith immediately became concerned for me because he knew these products were not compatible due to the higher panel voltage and I would have trouble. I checked with Enphase and Keith was correct, he really does know the solar industry well. Keith helped me get back on track with Hawking Solar with a renewed sense of trust.

On the day of install, James and the boys from Hawking were so respectful. I was a little concerned about my veranda tin roof being dented as they would have to walk on it to get to the roof. The boys took it upon themselves to go up the side of the house to avoid the veranda roof altogether. This made their job a little harder but out of respect for my home, they chose this option. My 6.745kW system looks great & I have nothing but praise for the whole Hawking Solar team with 100% confidence and trust that they have my best interest at heart.

As I don't have the internet hardwired to my home Keith also recommended the Enphase Mobile Connect so I would have access to my production & consumption data. This was requested at a later date & was installed a short time later. Keith always answers his phone or calls right back if I need to leave a message, so for someone like me who needs their handheld at times, I couldn't be more happy with the service he & Hawking have provided.

Keith proved to know his products better than his competitors. He had earned my trust 100 %
Hide Carol's Comment

7kW

Very Good Installer

Our sales representative for Hawking Electrical and Solar (Keith) remained very professional throughout the process engaging us through email and phone regularly answering questions we thought of as we went along. Keith also assisted with identifying our daily energy consumption and the type of system we required to address this so as to minimize our quarterly bill. This enabled us to be better informed giving us the options of the best system to use with a specific budget in mind. The trades people that attended were on time and were very professional through install. All in all a very smooth installation and excellent service delivery.
Hide Ian's Comment

Cost

Sold me on aspects relating to putting hot water on peak and few other things that would bring 5.5kw up to the 7kw from SAE comparing to. All sounded good but never got done. Once installation done it was hard to get them out. Even spoke to boss and he was apologetic. Nothing got sorted. My own sparky sorted it and found other discrepancies. They looked at my bills and saw $1000 plus for the first year more than should’ve been. Talked reimbursement, or additional solar panels as compensation but nothing eventuated. Don’t use them! They’re all sweet and dandy til you’re paid up then check ya later.....all talk. Enphase system seems ok though regardless but won’t be adding more through hawking.

Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear about your experience but at Hawking Solar we are all about ownership. So we will discuss remedies on Tuesday, after easter as discussed today.
Hide Robert's Comment