Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd Reviews

About Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd, Solar Installers

Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd
Platinum Partner
Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd is a SolarQuotes Client (what does this mean?)
ABN: 77 600 142 854  ABN active since 01 Jul 2014 | Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd
ACN: 600 142 854  ACN active since 16 Jun 2014 | Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd
Electrical Contractor's Licenses:   (learn about electrical licenses and buying solar)
NSW: 327730C Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd

QLD: 77873 Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd

Reviewers report paying: $4,999 - $7,400 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

Hawking Electrical have been trading as an Electrical Contractor here on the Gold Coast since 1990 and have been involved in the solar industry for the last 3 years. During this time we have developed a solar division in our business where the operations manager has been designing, installing and managing solar projects for the last 8 years.

Our company employs in excess of 60 staff members and we have approx. 38 electrical vehicles on the road. We sub-contract to some of the most active Home and Commercial Project Builders in South East Queensland.

We are Master Electricians.

We offer prompt and courteous staff, professional installations and realistic advice, competitive prices and obligation free quotes.

We pride ourselves on providing customers with the right information and solution for them. We do not just sell one size fits all systems. We tailor our solutions to each household and base our calculations on their consumption patterns.

Our inverters and solar panels are sourced from long standing reliable suppliers, we do not direct import. Combine that with our quality staff, 25 year trading history, ongoing electrical contracting work, solar experience, means we can truly offer you service and peace of mind over your warranty period.

We look forward to helping as many people as possible realise the benefits of going solar!

Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions Pty Ltd Solar Reviews

The installation trades turned up on time and simply got on with the installation and tidied up after themselves. They were polite and business like.

Hawke Electrical were professional and business like to deal with. Show additional information

Great installation

Initial contact was made via email then a phone call to setup a time for the quote to be completed via a zoom consultation, this allowed the sales team to show me where the panels were to be installed on a model of my house and in which orientation they were to be placed to maximise the exposure to the sun throughout the day. all questions were answered and the sales person (Michael) was able to bring up various web sites to further answer and explain any questions I had.
Installers arrived at the appointed time and I was introduced to the team followed by a further explanation of what work was about to be carried out. Some adjustments were made to the original plan to further maximise the placement of the panels
The installation team cleaned up after they had finished the job. Some tiles were were cracked during the installation which can happen due to the age of the tiles. I obtained some replacement tiles and Scott returned the next day to replace them.
The whole sales and installation process was completed in a friendly and timely fashion and they answered all of my questions then assisted with grid installation by setting up the appropriate paperwork and showing me how the system works.
Further emails from the sales team followed over the next few days to see if I was happy with how the work was completed
Overall a good company to deal with and I would recommend them to others looking for solar

Review

Sales/quoting: ok
Installation: Pretty good
After sales service: ok

BUT it would be good, after us spending $5000, for someone to spend 5 minutes with us, face to face here, to go over things. Solar is a totally new concept for most customers and just feel we'd be a lot more comfortable quicker with regard to going over inverter settings, software setup on phone/tablet etc, if we had the above 5 minutes

Great Gold Coast Solar System

We got two quotes through SolarQuotes as well as a few others directly ourselves. We were fortunate enough to be recommended to Hawking Electrical Energy Solutions and I would be very pleased to recommend them to anyone else.

The quoting process was the most unique of all the companies we dealt with but also the easiest. Hawking Solar book in a web meeting with you at a time that suits. For me this was outside of normal working hours which didn't cause any issues for them. I was a bit sceptical that a web meeting would work but it was really great. I got to see and speak to James from Hawking directly. He has easily accessible screen shots 3D images of our house and roof and could add levels of shading etc at the touch of a button. He answered all my questions and talked through the advantages and disadvantages of different options. From this experience and also having some in-home quotes made me realise there is absolutely no advantage of an in-home quote!

After committing to the project the communication from the team was good and installation took place on the right day and time. Scott who headed up the installation was punctual and explained exactly what was happening and helped reconfigure the solar panels slightly to a better position.

Connecting to the grid took 4 weeks which I understand is pretty much standard when coordinating between Energex and service provider... but it felt like a long 4 weeks. With the system up and running for a few days now I have been really really happy with the SolarEdge analytics and am looking forward to seeing how the system works through the spring and summer.

Overall I'm very happy with the whole process and feel like I have invested wisely in a system that is not cheap and nasty but will work for me for many many years.

Neat & Tidy work

Install was completed on day proposed all works well all my questions answered site left clean Show additional information
Very unsatisfactory. I have had a broken zeversolar inverter under warranty. My electricity bill was through the roof because I am not generating any solar power.
I have Hawking Electical Solar who are not responding to emails or phone calls.
I am very unhappy and frustrated. I have contacted the ACCC and the Department of Fair Trading to see if they can help me.

Overall quite happy

Overall I am happy, my only dissapointment was once i signed the agreement for a 8kw system, they were hard to contact as I wanted to increase the size to a 10.65kw system, this threw them a little in the customer service side of things. I was very happy that I could have black rails and fittings on the front array. Show additional information

so far, so good

Good initial information and discussion of system by Zoom meeting.
Some delay on installation but work was efficient and thorough when they did the job.
Poor follow up when I had to chase down Hawkings to get our meter changed by Essential Energy.
Promises not followed up on, many calls needed to get things moving

Good Installation, Happy with results

The only problem with the install was that it was delayed twice from the original date. This was apparently due to injury & illness of workers which does happen sometimes. Show additional information

Excellent

Hawking were fantastic for customer service and due to shading issues for my property we’re the only one out of the many quotes who spoke to me of this and options. Install team were polite and on time.
Can not wait to see this system work (only 3 days old)

Poor quality install as well as unsafe and not to standard

The Sales person that came out was very knowledgeable and was great to deal with, after that there is not much nice to say about this company, to start with I paid my deposit and thought I had locked in an install date only to get a email to change the date with a couple of days notice delaying the install by a fortnight, on the day of the install 2 out of the 3 people turned up late and they did not have all the gear to complete the job, I am an electrician and because they knew this they asked and I was able to supply them with some parts to be able to finish the install.

After the install I inspected the work and found the work they did on my front switch board was unsafe and also not to current standards, it also appeared they had used some second hand parts to complete the job. Apart from the unsafe and not to current standard work that I fixed myself I found both isolator brackets were loose and one only had one screw to hold it, several of the panels have large scratches on them and they had run the conduit through the roof over the man hole restricting access to the roof space.

It took several phone calls to get them to submit the paperwork to get the meter replaced and also to get someone to come out and go over the system to make sure there were no other issues, once he was gone and after yet another phone call they finally got the app working so that I could see if the system was working. This led to me finding that the current transformer that monitors the power usage had been installed backwards. So after one more call I managed to get them to complete the set up of the app so that it was working correctly and they said they would send out the head electrician to go over the system.

After a couple of appointments they were unable to make he came out on a Saturday to go over the system. He said they would replace the scratched panels and fix up a couple of other things as well as fix another none compliant issue. I tried to call after 2 weeks and they said we was on leave and they will update me when he gets back it is so far been 2 more weeks and I am yet to hear from them I will try and call next week but I am pretty sure that I will get the run around again.

In closing the job I got from them was every thing the bad reviews for other companies say. I would suggest if you have used these guys that you get another electrical company out to make sure the work is compliant and safe. If you have yet to use them I would suggest you go with other companies over them if your experience is the same as the worst review for them than at a minimum you will get a the same runaround and probably a safe and compliant job as well as saving a few thousand dollars.

If they end up fixing the issues that I currently have with the system or as a bare minimum I get some sort of response from them I will leave an update but I would not hold my breath.

Would not go with anyone else. Best in the business

Great install. Very happy with product and installers. Just need to communicate a bit better, call me instead of me chasing them. Place was left very clean, installers were Organised and communicated everything they were doing. Show additional information
We choose Hawking Solar due to there fast and responsive sales follow up and then presenting us with a excellent quality inverter and solar panel option that would set us up to gain maximum power savings. We found them very professional throughout the install and then setting up of the monitoring and 24 hour back up of monitoring the performance. Show additional information

Quality System

Everything went well but I have to wait 6 weeks for my energy retailer to change the meter ..so my solar system is just sitting in the roof ...doing nothing
Very disappointed with AGL

Great system, Great price, Bit of a lag in installation

Had this system (Risen/Enphase) on for just under two years and couldn't be happier. Hawking were easy to deal with, just a little slow on getting it on on the roof due to wet weather on jobs before mine and the December rush.

They did a better price on an enphase system using larger 72 cell panels (therefore fewer panels/microinverters per kW) that other installers didn't offer.

Installation was painless, the team was on time, quick and polite. After sales support has been fine. Haven't needed to contact them but they have emailed me a couple times to let me know my system wasn't reporting (wifi problems at my end).
Not installed yet, quite a long lead time before installation. Show additional information
Happy with service so far Show additional information

*** Excellent ***

Once again, thank you for your professionalism and service you have both provided us through out completion of our solar project.

Please pass my thank you onto the entire team whoever was involved in the installation procedure today, they really did a great job!

Great customer service = great savings

James has been fantastic to deal with. Really knows what he is talking about. Any questions I had, James had answers that other companies just couldn’t provide.
Aaron and team did a really neat job with the install, we couldn’t be happier. Luke the apprentice was very informative and kept me updated both days they were installing. James and his after sales has been second to none. We are set up on our phones and watching our usage. Even the communication via email and the office girls, hasn’t missed a beat. Thank you Hawking Solar.
It is obviously inadvisable to rate a system as fantastic when one has experienced it for less than 48 hours! However, by all reports, references and research, it promises to be an excellent system all round, carefully considered and installed and at a very acceptable price. We were also very happy to have a panel upgrade to a new release at the original quoted price, so slightly increasing our potential capacity.
The only minor glitch and failure on Hawking's part was a communication error/omission in the scheduling department, causing the installation team to arrive on the date first offered to us when we had already booked to be interstate. It was a bit alarming to neighbours who called me after I'd missed some calls from the installer (being on holiday in an earlier time zone!). Fortunately, they were still able to honour the date to which we had agreed by phone and all went smoothly with the installation: a pleasant and hard-working team.
Hawking Energy Solutions have installed the enphase micro-inverter system which I understand is the most advanced system on the market. This system comprises 12 x REC 350w 2 perc panels plus 12 new iQ7 enphase micro inverters which means that it is all A/C on the roof. The power that is produced is more than adequate for my 3 bed duplex but the system can be expanded one panel at a time and it is simple to add a battery system if needed. My system is also expected to produce 9% more energy due to the inverter function being on the roof and a full usage monitoring system was included in the price. The two installers were extremely efficient on the day and the after-service from Hawking has been excellent. If you are new to the workings of solar technology I would still advise any potential buyer to get onto Finn Peacock's Solar Quotes website so that you can fully understand how the technology works and what is best for you. Show additional information
Great experience overall with Hawkins, Keith their salesperson was simply excellent. The entire team went well above my expectations, would highly recommend them to anyone on the Gold Coast or Brisbane. Show additional information
Just installed yesterday, very happy with the service & everything went smoothly, now waiting for our power supplier to change the metre and start saving us money. Show additional information

Positive Residential Solar Installation Experience

After obtaining 3 quotes from the Solar Quotes recommended providers we chose Hawking Solar primarily because of the very professional way in which the options were presented and explained to us, including the expected efficiency of the panels and estimated payback period. We purchased a 10.85kW REC 350W Twin Peak 2S Panel system with a Fronius Primo 8.2 Inverter. Although there were some minor setbacks during the installation phase, the office staff at Hawking Solar kept us fully informed regarding scheduling of the work. Overall the experience with Hawking Solar has been a positive one and we would recommend them to family and friends. Show additional information

Great to deal with!

These guys know their products and have been really good with providing me feedback and they answered all my technical question (and I had many questions) before I signed up. The installers were very professional and polite. I would say their pricing is reasonable and they seemed to have a solution for most people's budgets and roof setups. Show additional information
Very Positive Experience with both companies that I had quotes from.
Hawking Electrical have kept me informed regarding the process and I am looking forward to having my system installed next week.

From the start I wanted a quality system.

I had gone through 3 quotes with different companies when a work colleague recommended Hawking Electrical & Solar. Keith thought an Enphase inverter would suit my property, as it's not a string inverter it responds better with shade, I have trees and live in a bushland area. After doing a bit more research I was convinced Enphase was for me as it can also be turned off from the mains so there is no electricity on the roof, this would make my house much safer in a bushfire (you never know).

Out of respect, I rang the other companies who had already quoted, put in the time and effort to tell them of my decision, one company asked to give me a quote on Enphase with Sunpower panels, after a hard sell and convincing me around. I told Keith I signed with them, wishing me well he inquired what I had bought. Keith immediately became concerned for me because he knew these products were not compatible due to the higher panel voltage and I would have trouble. I checked with Enphase and Keith was correct, he really does know the solar industry well. Keith helped me get back on track with Hawking Solar with a renewed sense of trust.

On the day of install, James and the boys from Hawking were so respectful. I was a little concerned about my veranda tin roof being dented as they would have to walk on it to get to the roof. The boys took it upon themselves to go up the side of the house to avoid the veranda roof altogether. This made their job a little harder but out of respect for my home, they chose this option. My 6.745kW system looks great & I have nothing but praise for the whole Hawking Solar team with 100% confidence and trust that they have my best interest at heart.

As I don't have the internet hardwired to my home Keith also recommended the Enphase Mobile Connect so I would have access to my production & consumption data. This was requested at a later date & was installed a short time later. Keith always answers his phone or calls right back if I need to leave a message, so for someone like me who needs their handheld at times, I couldn't be more happy with the service he & Hawking have provided.

Keith proved to know his products better than his competitors. He had earned my trust 100 %

Very Good Installer

Our sales representative for Hawking Electrical and Solar (Keith) remained very professional throughout the process engaging us through email and phone regularly answering questions we thought of as we went along. Keith also assisted with identifying our daily energy consumption and the type of system we required to address this so as to minimize our quarterly bill. This enabled us to be better informed giving us the options of the best system to use with a specific budget in mind. The trades people that attended were on time and were very professional through install. All in all a very smooth installation and excellent service delivery. Show additional information
Sold me on aspects relating to putting hot water on peak and few other things that would bring 5.5kw up to the 7kw from SAE comparing to. All sounded good but never got done. Once installation done it was hard to get them out. Even spoke to boss and he was apologetic. Nothing got sorted. My own sparky sorted it and found other discrepancies. They looked at my bills and saw $1000 plus for the first year more than should’ve been. Talked reimbursement, or additional solar panels as compensation but nothing eventuated. Don’t use them! They’re all sweet and dandy til you’re paid up then check ya later.....all talk. Enphase system seems ok though regardless but won’t be adding more through hawking.

Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear about your experience but at Hawking Solar we are all about ownership. So we will discuss remedies on Tuesday, after easter as discussed today.
The experience with Hawking has been horrendous and they would have to have the lowest quality of service I have ever experienced with any company I have ever dealt with.Salesman contacted us regularly and was all over us to buy panels, but that is where any service stopped.

Signed a contract for solar almost a year ago. Waited months for install but once Hawking installed they provided the wrong size panels and not enough panels. Plus the installation was poor with panels crooked and racks not the right length. Had to constantly chase them up, often with no communication from them for months. Continued to lie about what they had done or what they were going to do. Often not turning up as arranged. Communication from them was shocking.

There are too many things to write; but even small issues like the installers smoking in our yard and throwing the butts onto the ground. The install manager advising that installers had come and swapped panels on the roof while we were not home or at night while we slept. Asking us to sign an STC form for more/different panels than what we actually had. Telling us the panels were of a particular type when we could clearly see them on the truck as something else. The list goes on…

Finally, almost a year later they have come and replaced the panels with what was originally ordered. No reason as to why it took almost a year or why we were treated the way we were. Then advised that payment was due in three days. It has been two weeks, no follow up phone call to see if we were happy with the install rectifications, nothing. No compensation or restitution for all the issues, just pay us in three days.

Unfortunately, I would never recommend Hawking, as the service was extremely poor.

3 hours after the posting of the review a Co-Owner and I spoke with you to express our sincere contrition regarding your experience and to find out if there is was anything that we could do to remedy the situation. We discussed all of your outstanding concerns and have settled on a solution that will be to your satisfaction. We look forward to realising this solution this Saturday, with 1.4kW of additional Enphase REC solar, with black anodised racking and rewiring of a 1m length of rooftop conduit, subject to tomorrows site inspection, all at no charge.
Very professional & informative presentation with all quotes but outstanding visual & detailed quotes on systems by Hawking Solar. Flexible and open with inquiries made and an entire incident free process from initial consultation to installation. Very impressed from all quotes obtained through Solarquotes. I highly recommend Hawking Solar & extremely satisfied with our chosen system at a reasonable price.
Craig R
Enphase wanted $300 to have access to full monitoring. Show additional information
At moment still having issue with smart meter, Hawkins have advised they will sort problem. Think after sales service is important. Show additional information
I talked to various providers (MC Electrical, CSA, Hawking Electrical) and I also read a fair bit online (from Solar Quotes and other blogs and info providers). I have to say that all providers were really good and I could have gone with any one and I am sure I would have been happy and their system would have been totally fine. At Hawking Electrical I talked to Keith Butler and I think I was just lucky because Keith was incredibly helpful, honest and happy to engage with my many questions in a very patient manner.

I asked a lot of detailed questions about pretty much anything (I was perhaps a bit picky as my sense was that making decisions about the various available solar systems/products was pretty complex, I was keen to be able to evaluate these at least a bit, and this was a large investment). Keith never got tired of taking the time to respond in detail and in a calm manner to any of my questions and when he did not know the answer to a particular question he would confirm and got back to me (rather than trying to make things up), which I really appreciated.

He was also open to talk about any pros and cons of any systems in a balanced manner (which I thought is something unique in the market where I had the impression that sales people more generally often try to talk down other providers). Once we came to an agreement, he was very organised, explained the entire process in a clear way and took care of anything at their end. I paid for permission to have panel-level access on my app and when this got lost somewhere in the process, he jumped immediately to sort this out. Overall, Keith was very outstandingly helpful and patient and I feel I was a bit lucky to have worked with Keith (if you go with Hawking, I can recommend asking whether Keith has capacity).
Communication has been poor since the deposit has been paid which is a little concerning so we will see how it goes... Show additional information
Will be installed next week. Show additional information