Hawking Electrical Reviews

About Hawking Electrical, Solar Installers

Hawking Electrical have been trading as an Electrical Contractor here on the Gold Coast since 1990 and have been involved in the solar industry for the last 3 years. During this time we have developed a solar division in our business where the operations manager has been designing, installing and managing solar projects for the last 8 years.

Our company employs in excess of 60 staff members and we have approx. 38 electrical vehicles on the road. We sub-contract to some of the most active Home and Commercial Project Builders in South East Queensland.
We are Master Electricians.

We offer prompt and courteous staff, professional installations and realistic advice, competitive prices and obligation free quotes.

We pride ourselves on providing customers with the right information and solution for them. We do not just sell one size fits all systems. We tailor our solutions to each household and base our calculations on their consumption patterns.
Our inverters and solar panels are sourced from long standing reliable suppliers, we do not direct import. Combine that with our quality staff, 25 year trading history, ongoing electrical contracting work, solar experience, means we can truly offer you service and peace of mind over your warranty period.

We look forward to helping as many people as possible realise the benefits of going solar!

Hawking Electrical Solar Reviews

After receiving 3 quotes via solar quotes website, Hawking Electrical was one of them. Out of all 3 I contacted they provided a VERY comprehensive report for my property, had the best price and products I wanted and were not pushy AT ALL with selling me their service. The 2 guys who came out to fit the solar did so even when I thought the wet weather would mean I'd have to wait a lot longer. The installation was done within weeks of contacting Hawking and the guys were very professional.

Although this is not directly related to Hawking Electrical, the one issue I've found while doing my solar research is that no one has yet been able to tell me how much Energex will charge for the meter installation. I realise it depends on the type of meter you have. I've still no idea how much it will be but apparently it will be added to my next power bill??

Energex took 4 weeks to come out and change my meter before I could start using my solar :(

As for Hawking Electrical, I would recommend these guys every day of the week! They did a fantastic job.

Thank you, Andrew!

We always strive to do our best for our customers so your feedback is wholeheartedly appreciated.

please let us know if you any further solar or storage needs.
The staff were very knowledgeable about products available. They offered a good quality system at a better price. Had an issue after installation, but able to talk to staff and quickly resolve it. Show additional information
Both Hawkins and CSA reps were good, down to earth, straight talking. Show additional information
I had two suppliers respond within a couple of days to make an appointment, but Hawking (who were the successful supplier) took almost 2 weeks to contact me.
When I mentioned to Hawking that I had given up on them they said that they had received notification from Solar Quotes only the day before, so I went ahead and got them to arrange a quote for me.
It appears that there may be a small glitch in Solar Quotes email notification system to the suppliers.
Overall very happy with the installation. The salesman was easy going and knowledgable, the "boys" that did the install were professional and tidy and the office did a smooth financial transaction.
One thing I would like to make special mention. I did a part payment and financed the rest, roughly half and half.
Keith the Hawking salesman put me onto Community First Credit Union for a 'Green Loan'
They are providing personal loans for 'green' projects at only 6.99% interest, $190 establishment fee and no other fees. I'm in Queensland and CFCU operate on the NSW central coast and northern Sydney, but will do loans all over Australia. It worked out better than some of the 'interest free deals' that I was offered.
Energex seem a bit lax in changing the meter over to solar. I rang them a week after the installation to check my status and they had no listing of me in their queue, so I rang Hawking who could produce evidence of informing Energex on the install day, and then surprise surprise, an email from Energex about 1 hour later telling me I now had a work order number. Hmmm....I thought privatised government monopolies were supposed to be more efficient....lol.
So now its 2 weeks since install everything is all done, except waiting for Energex to update the meter. Grrrr
Very happy with Solar Quotes, the website allows you to distil out all the information you need without too much clutter.
I am a retired engineering Technical Officer and I suppose I might have an advantage over a layman as I can read and understand technical specifications but the website allowed me to go straight to what a was looking for without any of the marketing hype.
I can strongly recommend both Hawking Solar and Solar Quotes.
No Show additional information
I have not been hooked up to Solar yet. It happens on Friday 6/1/2017. Energex has been a bit behind in getting people connected.

I can't wait for it to kick in as it has been quite hot here the last few days and I have been using air con a lot.
Just awaiting installation. Show additional information
Sales staff were helpful and informative and ready to answer any questions. Office staff not so good. Show additional information
It is very hard to sort out the correct information from what you are being fed on a purchase that you are not really familiar with, although I did learn a lot in a short time. The reducing subsidy was the greatest untruth that was mentioned. One kept bringing the price down with all sorts of reasons until I told him he was too cheap. Then he got closer to what I wanted. 2 would would not leave any brochures or prices with me. Then on the phone. Finally went with the bigger company that I new a bit about through a relative's work. I spent $16,000 dollars on 2 houses and now waiting to have my meter changed so I can use it. Hope all is worth the effort and the money. Show additional information
Thanking Hawking Electrical,for the the ease of installing Solar Panels. First contact was Kathy who said a Rep would come out to my place,with no pressures on a decision. Steve did just that,and I contacted him a a later date and decided to go ahead.
Josh contacted me,Josh is a perfect contact for questions and the process. A true asset to the company, such a friendly lovely guy.
The installers Guiliano and Gareth, polite friendly, tidy efficient young men. I felt very comfortable as they carried on with the installation.
I did my research, and I would recommend this if considering Solar Panels. Kris
It isn't very clear that I am supposed to make the link between Energex and Click Energy to get my new meter installed, I think this step needs to be made much clearer by the installer.

Hawking quickly and correctly supplied Energex with an EWR, I was also notified by Energex that it was received, but at no time was it spelled out in laymans terms that I simply had to ring Click Energy to tell them the EWR to then have Click tell Energex to install a new meter that they were asked to do from Hawking in the first place!

It seems much more sensible to have Hawking notify Energex and have the install go ahead from there, very disjointed and round-a-bout way of organising the install which only takes 5 mins when you know.

Instead I have waited 3 months for a new meter only to find out I could have had it rectified in 5 mins three months ago.

It's unfortunate that click energy didn't get around to coordinating with Energex! We agree that it would be far more beneficial if Click wasn't involved in this process as retailers do inject variability in the time frame for the meter swap over. It's common for retailers to place blame back on installation companies but the reality is, speaking from experience, no amount of cajoling expedites the retailers. Unfortunately, prompt service for solar customers isn't always a priority for many retailers. You may be pleased to know that this is being changed next year and solar installers in Queensland will have the ability to change over the meters themselves, eliminating this step. Not much help to you now but at least you know that this is being fixed.
Great service from Hawking Solar and in particular Peter the consultant, Anna and the installers Show additional information
SAE Group were quick off the mark with a quote that seemed reasonable, but I delved deeper and upgraded my requirements based on the advice from all 3 but SAE quote had lapsed so I went further with the other two. (That was possibly unfair of me to SAE not to renegotiate)
MC Electrical were as good as Hawking ($50 dearer which is neither here nor there) for the same specifications. Both were local electrical companies as well as solar (which I found important). It was really the toss of a coin actually.
I am very happy and already have good evidence that I am on target to save $2000/yr as predicted by Hawking rep. The daily sun, even on a cloudy day is pouring the savings in, almost but not quite feel sorry for AGL!!! (Keep in mind that I am still getting the 44c from the Government although a new 5kw system is also worth while - a matter of optimising the gains).
I am also recommending both and Solar Quotes to 5 relatives and friends who need/could use it.
The strategy is to use as little as possible at peak solar periods while on the 50c (44+6) FIT. For a 6c only FIT the strategy would be the opposite, use it while you are making it.
The reason I delayed decision making (to upgrade) was that I was worried that I would not live long enough to gain but the specs and prices are now so that it is a short term and not a long term investment and I assume I can make it!!
No tiles broken in the installation although I had gone to great lengths to procure and paint spares, almost disappointed that I did not have to provide at least one.
Timely, the old inverter died at switch off the day before installation (I should explain that had 1.5 kw panels with a 3kw inverter beforehand Anyone want 8 x 190w perfectly good panels?)
Happy to report back in 12 months.
I looked for panel level monitoring and also liked the idea of Micro Inverters for it's merits, that you know all about. So I went with Enphase system. Show additional information
Have not capped the end rails ....has been over 3 weeks now ....looks a bit untidy to the chap who lives upstairs.
The Fronius inverter window is glazing over ...can still read it ..but it could become a issue and is not in direct sunlight.
Apart from that all is well...
Was greeted with a smile and hand shake sat down discussed our options was very pleased in the product and price veryyy happy customer ,,, Show additional information
Was due to be done on a Saturday due to work load but fitted it on the Friday afternoon as they finished a job early. Done quickly,efficiently and very curtious workers. Would recommend them to anyone. Show additional information
Highly professional installation, with nothing but consideration for our satisfaction. Minimal disruption to our normal day; everything installed explained, as to 'how' 'where' and 'why'. Excellent experience. Hawking are to be congratulated on their efficiency and rapport. Would definitely recommend your method of selecting the right solar company, for individual requirements. Show additional information
Easy decision in the end once we found the realistic companies. Finn thanks for providing this service. Robert The Gap, 4061 QLD Show additional information
Friendly approach, continuous progress updates. Show additional information
Peter was the most down to earth salesperson we spoke with. Didn't rush is to make a decision, provided lots of advice and looked into many options for us. Show additional information
no Show additional information
They were really thorough, efficient and quick to completely deliver and install. So happy to have solar panels and looking forward to the long term savings.

Hi Jules,
Thank you for your review.
Pleasure to help you begin saving on your electricty usage and helping the planet.
Kind regards
The Hawking Team
I would thoroughly recommend Hawking Solar. The installers were nice and polite. I did have an issue with a promotion they had with SMA, but they fixed it straight away and came the next day to replace the inverter. They couldn't have been more professional and I am 100% happy with the job.

Hi Catherine,
Thanks for your review and very kind words.
It was a pleasure to help you begin your clean energy journey.
Regards
the Hawking Team
The Hawking Solar salesperson was an accredited solar designer who quoted options for us based on our needs. We were seeking quality but with value for our investment. When we asked him to price an alternative inverter, he did so, researching this for us and answering all our questions. We were highly impressed with his preparedness to really work for us and give us what we were seeking. Hawking provided information to us prior to installation, and this process went smoothly. Ever since, the system has been performing better than we expected. We are very, very happy!

Hi Kassie, thank you for your positive feedback, it is pleasing to hear that all is going well and you were impressed with our consultant, Paul. At Hawking we encourage honesty and transparency regarding our offers and spend considerable training hours to instill a depth of technical knowledge with our customer facing team to help clients like yourself untangle the truth about solar, quality and serviceability.
Warm regards
Ray Pantic
The salesperson went out of his way to get the best deal possible. The electricians that installed the system were very professional and explained every part of the process in detail.

Hi Ed, pleased to read your feedback. I will pass your compliments on to our installers and consultant. Thank you. Let your friends know!
Any issues, don't hesitate to call.
Best regards

Thanks Barbara, really appreciate your feedback and support for the environment. We know you will be happy with the results of solar on your home. Any questions in the future, don't hesitate to call.
All the best,
As the system has only been in a few days I feel unqualified to respond to the above questions but to date everything seems OK. The system is generating a max of 3.2kwph which I trust is ok for winter. Ask again in 12 months when I have had more experience with the system and thanks for your interest
Kelvin

Thanks for your feedback Kelvin. You are correct 3.2kW winter production is well within production parameters. The coming months, especially by mid october will show definite increased results on your 4kW array.
Thanks again, please call if you have any future concerns.
Ray

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your feedback.
If you have any issues please feel free to contact us.

Hi Bill,
Thank you for your feedback. If you have any issues please contact us.
The representatives of all three suppliers spent a lot of time explaining things while getting information about our aims and need for the solar system. However, the Hawking Solar rep was by far the best, and the only one who seriously considered and planned for the effects of shadows from neighbouring trees. He also obtained additional expert information for me about different inverters so I could choose between the different price brackets. The installers did a great job, efficiently and expertly. The system has just been connected to the grid, and I am looking forward to anther visit soon from the salesman, who is returning to check that all is well and that we are getting the most benefit from the system. Very happy with Hawking Solar!!

Hi Ian,
Thank you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for any service issues. We will also keep you informed of any future renewable energy developments.
Kind Regards

Hi Lewis
Thank you for your feedback.
Regards
Hawkings phoned ahead starting from the quote to the installation and always came when they said they would
Thanks Finn for a wonderful lead

Hi Dianne,
Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.
Installing this week but it should be ok... going from current level of serve so far.
All the questions I had were answered quickly and with a professionalism that has continue thought the sales process so far.

Thanks John. We will keep you up to date with any renewable energy solutions that may help you in the future. Please contact us if you have any issues with you system. Show additional information
The fact that a qualified physics scholar worked closely with me to establish the type of system suitable for the way we currently use power was very good, he didn't try to oversell higher cost products and explained reasons why. Very transparent and honest process.

Hi Murray
Thank you for your comments.
Nice to hear.
The installers arrived on the agreed day just before 7 am and were finished just before 12 pm with a 19 panel system. I was very happy with their installation. Would recommend this company.

Thanks for your positive words Darrin we appreciate it. I will let our install team know. Show additional information
I was impressed with the first contact I had with Hawking electrical & solar, Ian Zampech who was extremely knowledgable and helpful supplying information. The trades men (installers) arrived on time and during rainy conditions completed the installation professionally in a friendly manner. Zaren provided fabulous after sale service and assistance with the process and offering ongoing trouble shooting support in a friendly professional way. I would recommend the team to friends who are looking at going solar for reliable service and professional conduct.

Thanks for the kind words Lyndon. I notice that your results on the back to base energy monitor we installed are superb. 1.5kW production by 6:30am - excellent! Show additional information
Supplier was A1. Cant say same about the electrical supplier who a month later has not attended premises to authorise system viz turn it on

Thanks for your feedback Dennis
Unfortunately Energex being a govt dept does operate at its own speed. :

Thanks for you feedback Neil.
I have been monitoring your daily usage on your back-to-base monitoring. You are nailing using power within the solar production times. Well done!