Origin Solar Reviews

About Origin Solar, Solar Installers

Origin Energy is Australia's largest electricity retailer with over 4.3 million customers, which is around 16% more than the next runner up, AGL. In addition to retailing electricity and generating it in mostly coal and gas power stations, Origin is a large installer of rooftop solar systems.

As of writing, SolarQuotes has received over 400 reviews for Origin Solar and they have received an average rating of 4.0. Their reviews have been exceptionally consistent. While less than 9% of responses have been 5 star reviews, very few have received 1 or 2 stars with the solid majority being 4 stars followed by a considerable number of 3 star reviews.

So while you may not get the type of dedicated personal service that I find often results in a 5 star review, you are also very unlikely to receive an installation which has faults that Origin will not rectify. Origin Solar appears to be a safe choice for rooftop solar installation.

Origin Solar Give A 5 Year Workmanship Warranty

Origin provides a 5 year workmanship warranty on their installations covering any damage they cause to your roof or defects in their work. This is far better than the 1 year warranty offered by a number of large installers, but only half the length of the 10 years offered by some.

Origin Provides a 2 Year 12 Cent Solar Feed-In Rate

At the time of writing in August 2016, Origin is offering a 12 cent feed-in tariff for two years with any rooftop solar system they install. This is considerably better than the 6 cents they normally offer and still better than the 8 and 10 cent feed-in tariffs that are currently available from Diamond Energy and Click Energy in most states.

For a household that installs a 5 kilowatt system and exports half the electricity it produces the 12 cent feed-in tariff would provide around $290 more than an 8 cent feed-in tariff over the two years it applies. This is a significant benefit but has the drawback that your options are limited by having to stay with Origin Energy in order to receive it.

Origin has a Two Year Interest Free Payment Plan

Origin allows solar systems they install to be paid back over two years with zero interest. Many people will find this useful. However, the zero percent interest means the cost of financing is built into a system’s asking price, so you won't really be getting anything for free.

When I see something being offered with zero percent interest I take it as a strong indicator I can talk the salespeople into giving me a significant discount for paying up front.

Origin Leases Rooftop Solar

Leasing rooftop solar currently is not popular in Australia, but Origin provides the option. They call it, “Solar As A Service”, and it is certainly possible you will feel well serviced if you use it.

When you agree to lease solar from them they will install a system on your roof that you won't have to pay for, but you won't own. Then they will sell you the electricity it produces at a price that is less than grid electricity, but infinitely more than the nothing you would be paying if you owned it outright. At the end of your contract you can either buy the system from them, or it you don't want it, you are required to pay them to remove it.

If, at the end of your contract, you think the solar system needs a rest and you ask them to place it in a location where the sun doesn’t shine, I’m sure they’d charge a removal fee for that.

Leasing your rooftop solar system would complicate matters if you wanted to sell your home, as you would have to explain to prospective buyers that the rooftop solar system on the house doesn’t come with the house.

While I recommend purchasing your own solar system over leasing one, it is a way for people who normally could not afford rooftop solar to get some of the financial benefits while helping the environment. But I do recommend people carefully consider their options before signing up for it.

Origin Installed - And Replaced - Defective Inverters

Origin used Sharp inverters in many of its installations that turned out to have a high failure rate. They replaced the inverters that failed, but failed to compensate home owners for the lack of solar electricity production while their systems were down.

Origin Performed Poorly In A 2014 Choice Survey

In a 2014 survey by Choice Magazine, Origin was the installer most commonly used by respondents. However, Origin performed poorly on customer satisfaction, obtaining a rating of 62% compared to the average of 79%.

Origin Energy Is Up To Its Eyebrows In Fossil Fuels

On their website Origin proudly proclaim they are Australia's largest owner of gas fired power stations. This is certainly true. As of 2015 about 45% of their generating capacity is natural gas. What they don't boast about the fact that around 50% of their generating capacity is coal, or that since coal power stations operate more continuously than gas ones, a considerable majority of the electricity they generate is produced from coal, which is the most greenhouse gas intensive and polluting source of energy.

In 2015 Origin owned approximately 6,010 megawatts of generating capacity which was around 13% of Australia’s total. In addition to coal and gas, around 4% of Origin's generating capacity is hydroelectric and 1% wind.

Origin's CEO Grant King Said Rooftop Solar Is A Free Rider

In an interview discussing renewable energy, and not when he was down at the pub with his mates, Grant King, the CEO of Origin Energy said, “The reality is that solar is free-riding the network and inevitably network charges are going up because they’re energy based.”

That’s an interesting point of view he has, and one I disagree with. On my last electricity bill, including all fees, I was charged 48 cents for each kilowatt-hour of grid electricity I used. The cost of generating that electricity was around 6 cents a kilowatt-hour or less, so I paid around 42 cents a kilowatt-hour for network charges. As a result, I certainly do not feel like a free rider. But I fully support the right of Grant King to have any wrong opinion he likes.

Origin Energy Is A Free Rider

Origin Energy is a free rider, along with other Australian fossil fuel generators, because they emit greenhouse gases and other forms of pollution into the atmosphere without paying for the harm they cause.

A portion of this cost was accounted for when Australia had a carbon price, but Origin’s CEO opposed its introduction. He has also opposed Australia’s Renewable Energy Target and promoted weakening it.

Some people take the CEO of Origin Energy’s comment that rooftop solar is a free rider seriously. And many people are saddened by his opposition to environmental measures, which are designed to limit the damage caused by greenhouse gas emissions. People who feel this way often refuse to use his company on principle.

Origin Solar Solar Reviews

Origin were very professional in their advice and were happy to tailor a package to our needs. They weren't the cheapest on the market but gave us decent quality products. They also offered a 16c feed in tariff for 2 years which ultimately led us to go with them. System installed within 30 days of acceptance from Ausgrid. Show additional information
After several attempts, we were unable to obtain a site visit and/or quotation from SAE so contacted our energy supplier Origin. They were very supportive and provided detailed information. We have accepted their quotation that included an attractive feed-in rate and the system will be installed next week. Heinz also contacted us but by this time we had decided to go with Origin Show additional information
Think carefully about solar system my electrician said buy German inverts only but even then they might fail after 10 years and it's a 2k + item Show additional information
the only thing that let the whole process down, and that was possibly my electricity retailer + their wholesaler at fault here, is the lack of information about the next step - getting a 'level 2' certified sparky to change the meter (some $600) so we can start getting FIT. Not that I included _any_ FIT in my calculations for pay-back of about 6 years. Show additional information
no, not yet enegex is hooking it up on 21/8/17 Show additional information
Origin supplied my solar panels and associated hardware. The inverter was covered by a 5 year warranty. The inverter failed within a couple of years and a replacement inverter was installed. That inverter has now failed within the following couple of years. When I rang Origin to complain I was informed that a technician would be out within 48 hours. It took a week for him to arrive. I had to pay $175 on day of booking or Origin would not send a technician. When the technician did arrive he appeared very efficient and explained it all to me. He also advised me that the new inverter would be covered by a warranty for another 5 years. I was quoted $1025 for a new inverter. When I rang Origin to inquire why this inverter was not repaired under warranty I was informed that it had been a repaired inverter not in fact a new one. This apparently is the norm for Origin and is why there are so many problems with Origin products. When I told the salesman that I would not be proceeding with the repair he still wanted to charge my credit card with $1025.

At the moment I am considering going to the ACCC as the products they are selling are obviously not fit for purpose.
Got my solar setup by origin more than 4 months ago and am still waiting for paper work, pics and also the grid connections. Every time customer service rep promise to organise but nothing has been done yet. Regretting for choosing origin energy Show additional information
no everything went well and we are very happy

please only use my first name
Having recently moved into our new residence we needed to install a new solar system and we used Origin because we wanted to deal with a major player in the sector being one that could be relied upon in the event of any problems. The old system failed due to faulty equipment and workmanship where the companies involved failed to meet warranties and we're not contactable; they had gone into receivership/liquidation and would not meet their obligations. A very disappointing experience and one that resulted in a valuable lesson regarding the businesses to deal with when significant expense is involved. Show additional information
Decided to purchase through Origin Energy who happened to be my power retailer, and I did this for a number of reasons:

They supplied a high quality Fronius Inverter and Trina Solar Panels backed up with lengthy warranties.

Their Sales Department was very effective, and within a short period of time following my initial enquiry had identified my house and supplied an image of the probable optimum location of the Solar Panels.

Origin Energy offered additional financial incentives on purchasing a Solar Installation from them.

Origin Energy offered a choice of a less expensive installation, but I chose the more expensive option hopefully for trouble free operation over some years to come.

Of course when I made the purchase I was unsure regarding who Origin would use to do the installation, fortunately the Installation Team used by Origin Energy were super efficient and only took about five hours to complete the installation.
Argumentative pushy sales reps who wouldn't leave us alone. Called at inconvenient times (when I told him not to), talked over the top of me. When I told him we went with another quote he became standoff-ish saying he had the "best inverter money could buy" and "so a quality product means nothing to you". I said I didn't have the time or inclination to justify my decision any further. He said he was just asking for feedback. He kept talking and talking and I actually hung up on him.
Terrible
Not sure who is writing all these good reviews, our experience with Origin has been terrible with 2 inverter failures under warranty (replaced with 2nd hand units) and now 3rd inverter failure that they are refusing to fix as it's past the original 5 yr install date. Some of the staff dealing with our faults have been downright abusive.
Don't buy these systems
You only managed to give me one quote not 3 as specified - not good service

If you really want to help people installing solar start offering advise about smart meter roll out in NSW - it's a mess
It'd be good to have more info on the best inverters to buy when they fail and need replacing in an existing system as they seem to be the weak link. The panels last for many years but the inverters are more sensitive. Show additional information
Being a pensioner, I got the rebate. Origin gave me the following deal : 2.08kw x 8panels, 2kw single phase inverter, 24mths intrest free, 12cents kw for 2 yrs then 6c kw (or standard rate). No deposit, no direct debit charges. I had to organise local Level 2 electrician to replace old meter with Endeavour standard single phase net meter =$ 450.00. I have only just had the installation completed (plus it has been raining for over 3 weeks and continues), so unable to review the benefits presently. Show additional information
The installers were very professional and did a great job Show additional information
We never had any contact from the supplier you suggested, we did eventually contact that company ourselves, but decided to go with another supplier anyway. We found Origin Solar amazing to deal with, from the initial contact to obtain a quote, right through to installation, they were very helpful and professional. Show additional information
Lots of hassle getting the system wired into my switch board over 2 weeks and still not done, and probably not for another week or more. Show additional information
Purchased a 1500W Rooftop Solar System with a Sharp JH1600E inverter from Origin in SA 5 1/4 years ago. There was a two+ month delay getting installation and when it occurred it was a very rushed process and was not set up to maximise rhe system output (faces east not west because the installer did not ahve time to install the necessary scaffolding available). Within a month the original inverter failed. It took a further month of pressure to Origin to get a replacement installed. This system has worked satisfactorily to nearly the end of the initial five year warranty period (since the installation was completed with a working inverter) when this second inverter has failed. Origin say this warranty does not apply to this replacement inverter, only from the original installation date! Also that they have no backup service facility currently in SA so even if they did recognise the warranty applied it seems they have no service facility here in SA to rectify a failure such as this! Show additional information
Really disappointed with the failure rate of my inverters. Have had 2 already. hope the panels are better made but am not confident on their lifespan. The original system was to have a payback of 6.2 years based on ever increasing electricity prices. original installation date was in 2011. With the second inverter failing after the 5 year warranty and a new one costing $1704 to install, my payback will now be around 9 years. This means that the whole solar deal is a complete waste of time. 9 years to recoup the original capital and maintenance costs......TOTALLY unacceptable. Why did I bother! Show additional information
Avoid this product. Show additional information
I request anyone who think to install delta inverter, please think twice. Show additional information
Not installed until Dec 13th. Hawking Solar never replied. Show additional information
Inverters are not good. Been through 2 in 5 years. When first one failed after 2 years it was replaced with 'refurbished' one - standard practice. Found out from solar specialist that 100 % of these inverters fail. Show additional information
Don't go with Origin or this crap Inverter in my opinion. Purchased in 2011. Waste of money. Always take extended warranty. Show additional information
Was very happy with the quick response in connection with the three quotes. All companies supplied quotes with pricing and full details of equipment to be used. They were also very helpful with phone enquiries I needed to make. Show additional information
Green Solar & SAE Group were very close behind Origin but Origin were quicker to reply, explain & install my panels & inverter. Show additional information
The action taken by Origin to get the faulty inverter replaced has been impressive, though there are a few stepping stones to negotiate in the process, eg I initially rang the original installers who asked me to ring Origin who asked me to ring Zeversolar who then had another contractor ring me to arrange an install time after the delivery man rang me to advise he had a 'refurbished' unit to drop off.
All this has happened within 3 days of me noticing the fault, so can't complain about the pace of the 'fix'.
The repair contractor did not really fill me with confidence in the future of my 5kW Zeversolar unit, claiming it is a Chinese make which is not being modified with the better SMA owned gear as are the smaller kW units, due to the fact the SMA 5kW unit is a worlds best seller and SMA don't want to have the Zeversolar unit compete with it.
I have a gut feeling I might be heaving a Zeversolar unit in the bin when it goes kaput, out of warranty, and ringing the SMA or Fronius people.
Tripped out a few times and need to look at my metre every day which is annoying. I rang them twice and they told me the stormy weather can cause it to trip but it trips when it's not stormy and they did nothing about it. I have friends who have solar but not from Origin for the same length of time and there's don't trip Show additional information
I would recommend Solargain as they knew what they were talking about, however the price was not matched. I will have the install this week. Show additional information
We received very little advice on how to manage our consumption with the change to a TOU meter.
We missed the deadline for getting a feed-in tariff so using the sun effectively was very important.
It took 3 yrs for us to understand that solar was only wired on one phase and that this phase supplied the pool only, the rest of the house was on the other phase. So when we ran the washing machine on a sunny day it was costing us 47c an hour. We couldn't understand why our bills didn't go down.
Origin said we had a Smart meter so for the first 3 yrs we thought Ausgrid was remote reading our consumption until we saw a meter reader enter our front gate and said smart meters don't work in NSW.
The NSW government is leaving it to the industry to decide when they will remote read meters and give consumers real time control over their consumption. Of course this won't happen for a long time.
We have not had an "actual" bill from Origin since May 2011, they have all been "estimates". So I think Origin are now at the point where they provide an estimate based on a previous estimate that could be based on a previous estimate.

But I think the biggest problem is that if you have a pool chlorinator on a timer and you set it for 4 hours during the day so you get the suns energy you realise that when you have a few cloudy days running at 47c per hr, that quickly negates any savings you make from the solar. So now we run the pool at night for 8 hrs at 10c per hour.
Or if I'm home and it's sunny I turn the pool chlorinator on, but being retired and away baby sitting a lot thats not convenient.
I just thought getting system interest free was the way to go and as i stated what i wanted to all quotations received so i got apples for apples i really think i got a good deal.

How can any one beat that price with quality panels.inverter and interest free which they said you pay no more for.

It is also a battery ready system.

I also got $39.00 for my STC.
Don't be put off by the sales staff at Origin - their knowledge and advice of the product is poor. The installation team were excellent. They were all far more knowledgeable then any of the sales people we had dealings with. First class installation team. Show additional information
Sadly all the solar companies you ask to give me a quote did not get back to me for a couple of weeks and then there was only 2 out of the three that did. I was not prepared to wait that amount of time and did my own research.

I selected Origin because they have tier 1 components and a good price. Origin also offered 24 month interest free which was a real winner for me. Most other companies don't offer those payment terms.