Soltek Energy

Soltek Energy Reviews

Soltek Energy is a leading provider of solar power solutions throughout Australia in both commercial and residential environments. The company has a team of specialist renewable electrical engineers who are experienced in solar technology. The Australian company aims to help customers lower their energy bills while reducing their impact on the environment - both things that can be achieved through a high quality solar power system. Soltek Energy is accredited by the Clean Energy Council, giving customers assurance that they are getting the best possible service and expertise. The company can also offer advice on making the most of government rebates and incentives.

Reviewers report paying: $5,900 - $9,000 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

The views expressed by reviewers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of Peacock Media Group, which makes no representations as to the accuracy of the reviews. For our full disclaimer and further information, see our Terms of Use and our Review Guidelines.

Soltek Energy Reviews (543)

4.3/5

4.4/5

SolTek - An Awesome Solar/Battery Experience

We have dealt with SolTek for both solar panels and a storage battery. We found them to be very accommodating in the designing and installation of our solar panels.

This level of involvement and support was repeated when we decided to add a storage battery to our system 2 years later.

I can not recommend them highly enough. They are a great organisation to work with.

Thanks John; Enjoy your new system and your reduced bills into the future

Soltek - as installer for hot water system. Terrible - highly not recommended.

Terrible experience.

We paid Soltek a deposit for hws and solar panels.

Price increase of $800 from quoted price for hws (because we had not allowed enough for install) so we chose another system, however installation was terrible.

Plumber installed promptly aok in the morning but when I asked about the electrician he said it was not up to him.

I called Soltek and an electrician came late afternoon and worked in the dark but did not turn on the isolator switch so we had no hw until next day, in a household of 8 people including toddlers.

Soltek said they would give discount but later would not say amount.

Quote included electrical and gst but later invoice had extras for electrical and gst.

I had paid deposit for solar system also but cancelled.

Highly not recommend.

18 months later we are still in dispute over the bill.

Hi Ted, Thanks for taking the time to provide a review, we find these helpful in highlighting deficiencies in our process and/or service or, simply a thanks for a job well done. I do accept the mix-up with the electrical with your install and we did our best to manage and overcome it. We were sorry for the delay and acknowledge that, we don't always get everything right. That said, your system has been working perfectly now for 9mths and all that we ask is that you settle up and enjoy your energy saving hot water. Contact the Team and they can assist, 1300 844 445.

Great installation of a top quality system

From the beginning to the end Soltek were fabulous. The installation team were expert and quick. The only thing missing is the Powerwall2 battery but that is not Soltek’s fault as the supply of this battery in Australia is non existent at the moment.

Really appreciate your feedback Simon, we look forward to having your battery up and running ASAP. Regards, Soltek Energy Team

Love my solar system

The quoting process was really good, the only company to come out in person.

The installation was great, a bit closer to the edge of my roof than expected. Punctual and tidy.

The team at Soltek worked patiently through some post installation issues with the electrical setup and meters. Eventually it all worked out,

I would recommend this company.

Thanks for the feedback Anshula, enjoy your energy saving system for many years ahead. Regards, Soltek Energy Team

Original Review on 22-06-2021:

Soltek - 5kW SolarEdge inverter and panels

Only supplier to come out to see and explain to me different inverters and panel options. Their quotes also provided easy way of comparing prices of different inverter/panel combinations.

Once decided on the system, everything was organised quickly and smoothly. They came on-time and completed installation without any issues.

8 months later we asked John: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Yes, better than I expected. Our electricity bill used to range between $310-$420 per quarter. Since we had the solar installed, I haven't paid anything and we're in $182 in credit.

If I could give you zero stars, I would!

One of the worst experience I have ever had. The technicians jammed the antella cable when they installed the solar panels. Then after less than 6 months the inverter was not working anymore and we waited for 2 months to be replaced and I just discovered when they drilled the tiles on the roof to install the brackets, they left some perforations on them and now my ceiling is leaking.....

Hi Adriano,

We are disappointed that you felt this was your experience and have tried to work through each step with you. As per our email to you, we remain committed to all of clients and ask that you contact the team on 1300 844 445 so that we can understand your position and assist. Regards, Soltek Energy

Should have done this sooner... A lot sooner...

All quotes came through straight away. We went with the quote that was presented with a grid system showing inexpensive systems to expensive - we found this to be very important as we could then discuss the merit between the 5 systems presented and was able to asses the more expensive systems to that of the cheaper options.

Our house is 2 stories... We went with a 34 panel system - the initial team turned up, but was not use to the angle of the roof (28 degrees), and that it started to sprinkle with rain - so they called it off - we had no problems with that (this is the installers that Soltek use - not Soltek themselves).
The next team turned up a few days later at 13pm (1 o'clock) and it started to sprinkle again... thought they would have to come back - these guys where amazing - had a loading elevator to get the panels up on the roof and were finished by 4pm.

System is flawless!!!

Original Review on 15-06-2021:

Great System, awesome service

Great service, from quote to install, everything went as promised Original ratings

8 months later we asked Coby: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

The system is performing very well

Mixed Experience But Mostly Bad

The Good:
The salesperson was helpful in providing advice on the optimal system required and explaining the installation process. They were also able to help me submit the required docs to my energy retailer to get my smart meter enabled for solar.

The Bad:
There was no installation date provided, the installers literately showed up at the door at 7am in the morning and said "so do you want it installed or not?". I would have appreciated some advanced warning so that I can make myself available for the day. However, the installation did go smoothly despite the rain which the installers diligently worked through.

The Ugly:
The system died after 9 days of use. I now have a very heavy paper weight on top of my roof which I promptly paid for right after the installation - should of held off payment until I was sure the system worked properly. Almost two weeks went by and I still hadn't received an update until my third follow up with them. Apparently I have to go through the warranty process and no ETA is provided. From my perspective, if a system dies within 9 days of use, its almost dead on arrival and the system should simply be replaced immediately. Meanwhile, my warranty period has started, I've made full payment, its the middle of summer and I just have no clue when this is going to be resolved.

Danny thanks for sharing your experience and feedback. We’re thankful that our Installers were able to do a good job for you although, can appreciate that the inverter failing immediately is incredibly frustrating. Naturally, the product is covered by warranty and this claim was promptly lodged with the Manufacturer on 23rd January the (following morning after the error was identified) and the replacement unit has been received Wednesday 2nd February into our Warehouse. We note our correspondence with you today to confirm inverter replacement 4th February which will be two weeks since unfortunately failing. While it is covered fully under warranty, we’re sorry for the inconvenience and look forward to helping you have this fixed ASAP and should you need anything, the Soltek Team are here to help.

Original Review on 14-05-2021:

Soltek was the only company that sent out a person to discuss our requirements and concerns

Salesperson was excellent, no hard sale just facts and practical advice on optimal location of panels.

Installation was great even though interrupted by rain. On time as promised, clean and tidy.

All connection was organised and everything went well without a hitch.

8 months later we asked Paul: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

All systems are performing as expected. I have switched to AGL in June and I am still getting 17 c/KW feed-in tariff. My last bill was minus $95 for a month, I use the credit to offset my gas bill :)

My only gripe is the feed in tariff being reduced across all suppliers.

Original Review on 28-05-2021:

Price-very good, install -very good, system-very good....happy camper here.

The complete experience was very professional, done when they said and for what they said it would cost.
They were with us all the way, assisting at every stage.
Definitely would recommend this company.

8 months later we asked Alex: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

exceeded expectations - i designed a system to provide all needs during the day- we are running 99% energy independent - so i will take that.

Great Service from Soltek

Quotation process was quick and efficient. Mike organised to come by and was very open and frank in his discussions about the best installation for my roof.

The install was done efficiently and quickly and the guys cleaned up afterwards so you couldn't even tell they were on-site.
Everything was up and running smoothly, and the letter sent to our Energy Provider to advise we now had Solar etc.
I can't fault anything with the whole process.

We look forward to you enjoying and saving with this system many years into the future Nathan, thanks for being a great customer to work with. Regards, Soltek Energy Team

Quality products and excellent service

Salesperson was friendly and prompt with providing quotes for the different systems and their options. He was responsive with questions and modifications.
Installation was smooth. Polite and efficient installers. Punctual, with everything completed by the end of the day. Explained reasons for the locations of where the panels and conduits were placed.
Tidied up after themselves and remove the old panels.

Aftersales service has been great. Arranging connection to the solar edge monitoring system. So far so good.

Technically a fantastic system, however I would not recommend

Thanks to solar quotes I was able to easily obtain three quotes from trusted ‘installers’.

From this, I researched the technology and options on offer extensively.

This lead me to Soltek for the following reasons;

1. They supplied the gear I considered the best when considering performance and quality.

2. They promised to handle the installations themselves, with sub-contractors only involved as ‘sub’ to their regular installers.

Speaking objectively, here’s my take on these two points.

1. Yes. They installed the gear as quoted and agreed upon. However, they do not understand the nuances of the equipment they sell. As a result, the system spends many days in summer with the inverter reaching its maximum output for a large portion of the day. Yes yes, bigger inverters equals lower efficiency during low yield days, I hear you say. Actually, that’s factually incorrect with the equipment being purchased. The net result. A system that does not perform optimally. So they failed here.

2. Verbally and in writing it was stated that Soltek handle the installation themselves. This is a flat out lie. In my case, a sub-contracted solar company handled every step of the installation process and communication related to details around the installation. Thankfully, the team who handled the work were very, very good. However, a lie is a lie.

I knew the reason for the lower pricing from Soltek compared to others; they run lean-and-mean. Which is fine. However, they haven’t learnt how to be lean-and-effective, with communication issues delaying the installation by approximately 2 months.

If you are using Solaredge inverters, your system should never clip - don’t let them tell you otherwise, as the facts disagree.

Based on these facts, I recommended friends who have installed solar in my area to look elsewhere.

Reluctant customer after disaster first time around

The quote was well explained to me and made me feel confident.
installation was disrupted by weather but very polite and eventually got finished.

All paperwork was very professional and they organised the energy company to install a smart meter so no more readings required as they can read remotely.

All i need now is the sun to shine and do the work.

Original Review on 08-04-2021:

Great experience, easy process

Michael from Soltek was thorough, gave me a clear quote and great explanation of what I needed and why.

Pricing was competitive.

Installers were courteous and friendly. Spotted a couple of broken tiles on roof and swapped them. Cleaned up any mess and installation was neat and tidy.

8 months later we asked Michael: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

So far 2 bills, one winter, one spring, producing more electricity than I am using. My bills have been reduced by 75%. Also able to use air conditioner during the day with vastly reduced cost, the only cost the small loss of the feed in tariff on the electricity used to run the air conditioner during the day.

Producing lots of kWs

Great communication from the sales person and the installer at Soltek
Not all companies replied after providing an initial quote when I had follow-up questions.
It’s great to do research before embarking on the process as Solar has its own language and its important to be across aspects that are valuable to you and your project. Finn’s website is a great place to start getting informed, and to also to use as a unbiased sounding board once you you start getting quotes.
Soltek price matched and with various brands and products available from their company, it seems they would be able to offer quality within various budgets.
It’s early days but it’s only Spring and my output is already at 30 per day on a Sunny day.

Good prompt service with flexible options

Great customer service
Actually attend property to view and understand site and any issues.
Suggested multiple easy to understand options for panels and invertor in a simple to use table
Offered alternatives for water heating as option
Made sure any roof tiles could be replaced if broken and helped find matching ones.
Short lead time to deliver and install
Installers very polite and tidy
Did all the must haves such as covers over switches, inverter.
Monitoring set up and working with details provided in advance
Did have to move install date due to extreme weather but that was done promptly and easily.

Overall a great service and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.

Great outcome

All went to plan and very happy with the process, interactions and outcome.

Really happy with our solar installation!

We're really pleased with our Soltek installation, one year on and we've had no issue at all and have reduced our bills from around $1,100 p/year to about $50.

The installers were great, did a clean job and waited around to ensure the system was working and gave me a tour of the inverter and app. They also contacted our distributor to arrange smart meter install (at no cost) and connection.

Quick and easy installation

Salesperson was knowledgeable and helpful.
Very punctual and professional installation team.
Smooth grid connection post install.

Great job installing our Solar Panels

Received 3 quotes and based my decision on buying high quality panels as you get what you pay for

Original Review on 02-02-2021:

Know their stuff and had good communication. Would recommend them for others to use.

Good salesperson who came out and was willing to take the time to explain things and provide multiple options. It took some time to install because of busy time and Christmas break. Install was no fuss and they did a good job.

The only thing to critique would be that the panels could not be laid out as estimated. The installer could not fit (or was not willing to) as many in some of the rows as planned. This means we lost one panel of the north facing roof to the west. Same on the west side, would not fit on a single row, so they had to place two onto a second row. Not sure how to avoid this without a roof inspection.

8 months later we asked Rodney: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

After a year, I can't fault the system. I just wish the latest Enphase battery tech was available.

Best combination of price and performance with multiple options

Gave multiple options in regards to panels and inverters with clarity on what was on offer and price options. Installation was quickly organised and completely within a day. Everything organised from install to grid connection and setting up software remotely.

Personalised quotation and professional installation

Spoke with Mike from Soltek who brought up images of home roof and walked through a number of options. I was interested in an add on to our existing system and Mike explained those, giving me a quote with a range of suppliers of inverters and panels. Installation was done a few weeks later and worked perfectly with seamless integration with existing system.

Great service and system

From the initial meeting to the final installation, the team & customer service has been great. Would definitely recommend Soltek.

Happy with my SolarEdge system from Solartek

The sales/quoting process was informative and I felt I could trust Mike from SolarTek.
There was a slight mix up in that I didn't want tilted frames but they ended up installing them. But I wasn't charged for them and they probably add a little to the efficiency of the system, so...
The installers were nice, punctual and tidy.
Solartek organised the grid connection and the installation of a new smart panel

Great installer - would definitely recommend

I can't say enough how happy I have been dealing with Soltek.

I had quotes from a number of suppliers, but none were as detailed as those from Damien and his team. They were responsive to all my questions, tweaking the quotes in near real time as I kept peppering them with different scenarios.

Their product range is great, stocking only quality panels and inverters. I love their quoting model - four panel options against three inverter options giving 12 in total.

I mucked them around a fair bit given financing challenges, followed by urgent roof maintenance challenges, but while this might have quite reasonably frustrated them, they never let it show, and were professional all the way. In the end we took advantage of the Commonwealth Bank Green Loan to pay for it - super easy to use!

The installation was quick and easy. About two weeks after sending in the signed quote, I had a call telling me I was booked in for the next week. The installers (Patrick from PTE P/L) turned up right on time (a little early, in fact), and were polite and professional throughout. Our somewhat unusual 2-phase supply posed some challenges, but Patrick was on the phone with Enphase direct to make sure it was correctly configured. The team got on with the job, got it all done within a day, and left my place clean and tidy. They even replaced some tiles that were broken before they got there (I made sure I had a few spare available in case they broke some!).

Everything involving grid connection was taken care of after the install. Waiting for the panel-level configuration in Enlighten, but otherwise no issues at all so far!

Solar Installation Experience

Soltek was the only company to actually send out a sales rep.
The installation process was excellent.
The installers carried out the work in a professional way and with a minimum of disruption..
They organised the grid connection, which was carried out within the allocated time after the completion of the installation

Original Review on 15-12-2020:

Early days but really cranking out the power

The quoting process was nice and clear.
Installation was good. Everything works and they were polite tidy and punctual.
Customer service mostly good but we had to remind them about the paperwork for our energy retailer. All sorted quickly after the reminder.
Happy so far and I do like seeing that meter spin backwards.

The system has performed to our expectations. There have been no technical issues to date. Having seen the difference between summer and winter output it shows June produces about half what January does. Winter bill is about 60% less than last year and summer bill was over 80% saving. Pretty much in line with the performance claim from the installer.

Fantastic Installer, Smooth installation

The quoting process was quick and efficient, done over the phone. I was given a few quotes for different systems so it was easy to select the one that suited my budget. I like the brands of the panels and inverters they offered. All my questions were answered and my concerns addressed during the quoting process. The sales rep came out afterwards at my request, to make sure my property was not tricky for installation. Installation was a breeze, it was done in 1 day. The team was punctual, polite and tidy. They even replaced a tile that was already broken on my roof. After the install, their office organized the grid connection seamlessly. I was so impressed that everything went so smoothly. I feel lucky to have selected Soltek. Thank you SolarQuotes, I have no hesitation in recommending Soltek.

Great salesperson, good price, good installer

Overall very satisfied.

Installation was quick and they kept me updated.

Happy with the product so far.

Original Review on 02-12-2020:

Should have done it earlier

From the site inspection, the quotation and the installers and the quality of the works - very pleased. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Chris: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Very pleased with the system.

Have generated 6.3 MWh, drawn 1.73MWh from the batteries and have cut my power bills.

Quick sales and installation, however issues with SolarEdge inverter that needed to be replaced

Overall my experience with Soltek has been positive to date however I did have issues with my SolarEdge inverter that stopped working after installation and it took over 3 weeks to be replaced.

The sales and installation process was very quick with Soltek. The quote was very competitive for my 7.41Kw system which was using premium components such as Q-Cells Q.Peak Duo G9 390 solar panels and SolarEdge SE7K power optismised inverter.

Less than 2 weeks after the installation was complete, the inverter stopped working. Frustratingly this did take a while for Soltek and SolarEdge to diagnose (error checking, firmware upgrades etc) the issue before it was determined the unit needed to be replaced. The unit has been replaced however it took over 3 weeks and a bit of effort required to get the replacement unit installed.

The replacement unit has been installed and has been working for the past 3 weeks. I'm happy with the system and it's is working well at the moment.

I have signed the solar rebates and declaration forms and my energy provider (Energy Australia) and they have configured my smart meter. What I haven't received yet is my first quarter energy bill and therefore I can't comment on how effective the installation is working.

After reading this ABC article today about problematic solar installations (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-03/solar-power-renewable-energy-customers-struggle-to-get-help/100322900), I just hope that Soltek remain solvent to provide ongoing support if there are further issues with the installation.

Overall I'm happy with the installation price and efficiency of organising the installation. I just hope there are no further issues with the inverter.

Great sales and installation services, very reliable company

Sales and quoting process is great. Sales provide me different combination of inverter and panel I want.
Installation is punctual, complete within a day and tidy. Installers are very polite
Yes, the company send me the details of the process to get government rebate and grid connection. I just need to fill in the forms and sent back to the company and she organise the activities for me. Great service.

Straight forward installation, good, no-nonsense advice

The sales team at Soltek was pretty responsive and Damien who came to do the site visit was friendly and upfront with his advice on the best system for my house. No issues with the installation and the team were polite during the time at my house. No issues to date with the system installed.

Prompt service, quality products and tidy installation

Soltek Energy have recently (yesterday) installed a 6kW solar system and new heat pump hot water system for us.

From the initial site visit and meeting with Damien through the quoting, options and subsequent negotiation process to co-ordination of installation dates, energy retailer and the installation itself they have been very good to deal with. Very prompt, courteous, informative and tidy. We have only had our system for one day but so far so good.

Thanks Soltek

So far so good

I've got three quotes very quickly through Solarquotes. All the sales are freindly and helpful, also willing to give information that I was asking. I decided to go with Solartek because their system suits me better. No hard feelings from the other two guys. The installation was quick and I had solar produced power right after the installation. They also organised the grid connection. So far so good though the winter sun doesn't help much.

Original Review on 08-11-2020:

Very nice and helpful

They were very helpful,not at all pushy like some cheaper companies,Micheal came to my house to talk to me,the installers were very professional just got on with the job the electrician was very nice and polite,I am glad I went with Soltek,I got LG panels and Solaredge inverters, Original ratings

8 months later we asked Sarah: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Yes it certainly has,i have not paid a electricity bill for over six months

Streamlined process.

Every part of the process was efficient from the quote to the installer to the administration and paperwork.

Quote excellent and offered a small discount for LG panels which was better than Trina panels.

Install was great, on time and tidy.

I had to insist on box being installed in electric box rather than at my front door which would have been ugly. Installer made it work which I was happy about.

I only wish there was better instructions on how to understand Enohase app but I’m sure I’ll learn as we go

Thank you Finn for your office guidance. A great service!

Great value, great technical knowledge

Michael from Soltek was very responsive, knowledgeable and ran me through a few different scenarios. The quotes provided accurately reflected what was discussed, met my needs and were very prompt.

The installation was pain free and without any major issues.

Following installation the internet connection and logical panel layout were set up in the monitoring application in a timely manner.

Almost there

If I would be selecting solar solution now, i would go a bit differently. I didn't know how to ask all questions at the time. My roof is difficult but i still feel that we could have achieved more efficient system.

My mistake was to engage the solar companies during peak times, several companies didn't even bother to reply for requests, but Soltek was always there. Very active and very professional from the beginning to the end.

Final panel layout was agreed and optimised only on the day of the installation, when in my View should have been done prior, and as part of the pre-sales phase. Maybe currently available tools don't allow to do that just yet?

It all started happily enough ...

It all went smoothly until Soltek left the job incomplete.

The panels were fully functional but they did not complete the connection of the system to the internet (so no online monitoring of the system) and I had to chase them for a month to get them to come back and finish the job.

Original Review on 26-10-2020:

Very Good Experience all through

The whole process of getting a quote, finalising and installation was done very professionally and on time. The installers were proficient and efficient and did a neat and tidy job with no issues or surprises.
Customer service was outstanding and even helped with sending the necessary paperwork to my energy supplier to get a smart meter installed.

8 months later we asked Varaprasad: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Overall system has performed a tad below my expectations mainly in terms of actual solar output as compared to expected solar output.
This could have been addressed by a slight adjustment in the placement of the panels on the northern side of my roof.

Very smooth experience

The Soltek team made the effort to come out to our house to analyse the site and provide a detailed explanation of what was the most suitable system. Installation was smooth and hassle free.

Original Review on 14-10-2020:

Great solar system. Fantastic installers ans Support

Quote process went well, vere very promp for actual site inspection. Answered all my questions on the system I preferred.
Installation completed about 2 weeks after quote accepted. Gave notification of apprx arrival time, arrived on time with phone call before arriving. Spent most of day indtalling system but kept me up to date on progress. Installed in one day.
Dealth with energy provider to link system to smart metre (already installed).
Now purchasing battery with same company to get over daily high peak periods.

8 months later we asked Greg: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Performance to date is excellent bearing in mind have issues with surrounding trees. Saving between $400 to $600 per quarter on electricity which is beneficial to household budget
Like how if battery is low due to little sun during the day the battery is charged at night by grid if excess power available at a cheaper rate

Great Installer

Had some research of Solar in 2018 and put off. And 3 years later, reconsider again. Talk to a few good installer referenced by solarquotes LG, Enphase Tesla and SolarEdge website. Found a lot of sales doesn't really know what they are talking about. And Damien at Soltek gives me the confidence. So decided to use Soltek for my system installer. Installation is done within 2 weeks of quote signed. And on the day of installation, everything is good. they managed to get 27 370W SolarEdge panels system and Tesla battery done within a day. And on the roof they carefully replaced a few tiles that was broken during installation. The only catch is that a wrong version of inverter installed due to quote updated and Damien forgot to replace the big 10KW SolarEdge inverter. But system works from the day of installed without problem. the correct 10KW inverter installed today, a bout 2 and half weeks later. Very happy of the service provided by Soltek. There is only one concern is the SolarEdge monitoring APP. It only gives your daily total power system generated. Not down to panel level. I was told that it is due to I am the owner of system. Installer can see all detail using same APP. There is way to get panel level info on my SolarEdge APP. It costs extra $299.99. That is quite disappointing. It seems SolarEdge likes to keep system owner in dark of their product behave and performance. If one or two panels doesn't function well or fault, it relies on SolarEdge or their installer to notify system owner and get serviced. I don't get Why SolarEdge won't provide available tools regarding their product working order to the owner of products who paid in full. Send my query to SolarEdge Support. SolarEdge created a support case and had one rep asking my site ID. Then, the rep. informs me to closed the case since it is resolved. Very funny. I have not heard from SolarEdge any wording and they likes to close the support case. Complaint and got notification the case is still open. However, never answer my query.

Happy

Very happy with the whole quote and installation process. Turned up on time, didn’t leave a mess. Best price for what we got.

Great Team

The Sales Person was comprehensive with good advise. Great installers who were efficient and tidy