GEM Energy

GEM Energy Reviews

GEM Energy Australia is an award winning renewable energy consultancy. Specializing in photovoltaic engineering, electrical engineering, energy efficiency, financial feasibility analysis and multiple systems integration. Our objective is to provide comprehensive best practice solutions for our customers. By effectively supporting and communicating with all stakeholders together with thorough planning and design we consistently lead the market in delivering premium and innovative turn-key projects.

Areas of Expertise:

- Smart energy management systems for remote monitoring stations, pump controls, lighting plants, CCTV stations etc.

- Off-grid/remote hybrid energy systems.

- Solar PV – Residential, SME, C&I and Utility

- Battery storage systems – Residential, SME, C&I and Utility

- Commercial LED lighting solutions.

- Power Factor Correction.

- Energy monitoring and consultancy.

- Tri-generation and Co-Generation Energy Systems.

- UPS Systems.

GEM Energy Australia is recognised as one of Australia’s leading renewable energy providers and are a CEC approved solar retailer, are multiple CEC award winners and ISO 9001 certified.

GEM is uncompromising when it comes to quality equipment and installations, innovative and customized design together with first class project management. Our key strategic finance partnerships with CBA and NAB, provide a secure and industry leading project finance for our clients.

Reviewers report paying: $3,500 - $6,370 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

Battery brands previously installed

The views expressed by reviewers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of Peacock Media Group, which makes no representations as to the accuracy of the reviews. For our full disclaimer and further information, see our Terms of Use and our Review Guidelines.

GEM Energy Reviews (171)

Excellent customer service

The quotation process was professional and Kristian answered all of my questions with factual and relevant information, no sale puffery or embellishment which is what I like. Kristian responded to my inquiries and followed up every time in a timely manner. The online (Google Earth ) quote was backed up with a site visit.
Darby managed the installation process and kept me informed every step of the way. The installation was for a rental property and communication was required with tenants, property manager and myself; I found the communication to be exceptional. COVID and weather meant a couple of postponements which could not be helped, but I was informed quickly of any changes.
I have not yet seen the install and am looking forward to grid connection so I can start monitoring performance with the online IsolarCloud app from Sungrow.

Outstanding service and really care about their customers.

From the beginning I found dealing with Gem Energy was exceptional and at no point did we feel that we were pressured to purchase a system or a hard sell.  The consultant who we talked to was knowledgeable of the products and really understood our home dynamics. He recommended a system that would suit our needs.

From the informative initial quote, onsite inspections, communication via email and phone calls we felt more and more confident  that we picked the right company to install our solar package.

When the day came for the installation of our solar system, inverter and battery the team were very professional, helped with any questions we had  and aided us with how to understand our usage via the app. It was the small little touches that made the service so great. From little things like tidying up, trouble shooting with the wifi dongle as well as keeping us informed of what's getting done all added up to a great experience.

Would highly recommend  Gem Energy as all I have is high praise for the service I got provided.

Great company to deal with

It's our 1st solar installation and with what's out there there is a fair bit of risk to end up with the wrong crowd.
Not in our case from the product advertising to the completion of the project everything went incredibly smooth. Jeremy our sale consultant was great, not only his knowledge but very confidence inspiring presenting us a seamless project. From that point Marina took over in scheduling the work while navigating outbreaks of Covid19. The installation team was fantastic , very friendly, the workmanship was clean and efficient. At all times we knew there was someone to answer any query we had.
From the 1st contact until the final connection we were kept abreast with what was happening and the timing of all the various stages was accurate. I do highly recommend Gem Energy

Highly Recommend

We had both solar and batteries installed other than some hold ups due to the weather which was out of their control, the system was installed, commissioned and working in a very realistic timeframe. I would highly recommend them on our experience with GEM Energy.

Very good install

The entire process was very professional from the initial quote to the site inspection and then the installation. The installers, Zack and Gary were fantastic. They explained the process then how to utilise the app to monitor the system, in addition they cleaned up the site prior to leaving.

Great team. Excellent communication.

RACQ offered a discount to members if they purchased their solar through Gem Energy. Gem's sales person came on site and was very clear in explaining their product. After getting all the quotes together and carefully comparing them it was apparent the Gem quote was better value for money, used a high standard of products and used LiFeP batteries, which my research indicated were a better and longer lasting technology than the LiIon ones from most other companies. We'll see haw they are going in 10 or 15 years time.

Once the contract was signed we were appointed an Installation Manager who was true to her word, kept us up to date with every aspect of the preliminary site inspection, system design, installation, commissioning and handover. The weather (in South East Qld in February and March 2002) played havoc with the installation plans, but we were kept up to date at all times as things changed. Gem's local Sunshine Coast solar and electrical team were fantastic in all aspects of their work, and in the final instructions and hand over of the system.

The also arranged for our grid supplier to make the necessary changes to our meters and switch box.

Extremely Unhappy customer

Having our system installed has caused a leak in our roof which has resulted in a damaged ceiling. This issue was raised with Gem and they sent a plumber out without permission or consultation to inspect the roof and tried to say the fault was ours not theirs, then proceeded to send a bill for the inspection. The plumber never entered the house to see the internal damage so I fail to understand how the plumber was able to qualify the report he provided to Gem. Never had a one on one meeting at any stage with a salesman, all communication were via email or phone, The whole deal seemed shonky!!

Great Installation experience

Sales and quoting process was excellent was given a lot of information on the products used and the amount it was going to cost to install and savings I would make.
The installation team were great arrived on time and were helpful with questions and getting it started they tidied everything up before leaving.
Project Manager was also helpful and contacted me with every step I had to go through phone calls and emails.

Best of the best.

Kristian was absolutely fantastic from sales. Extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Some of the best customer service I've had, the same can be said for Sophie, after being handed over from sales Sophie did an absolutely amazing job keeping me informed and up to date.

Jason the installer was also absolutely fantastic, work was incredibly professional and tidy.

10/10 in all aspects. Not a fault through the whole process.

Fantastic company on every front

We needed a Solar system replacement, since our existing 10 years old system became faulty with panels moisture ingress.

Approached few companies, including GEM Energy found through the RACQ magazine. From the very start they proved to be very customer focused and responsive to our questions, and once we received competitive quote, our decision to go with them seemed to be an easy one.

From the first contact with Andrew (Sales), to Project Manager (Sophie) and finally the installation (Ashley), GEM Energy more than lived to our expectations. There are many companies in the market today that boast about Quality and Customer focus. In my personal experience, very few actually deliver on their promises. I have led Quality and Operational Excellence for many years in a large national organisation, so I know a little bit about this area...

GEM Energy excelled at every step.
Sophie is one of the best project managers I have met in my career, being frequently in touch via email or phone, so we new exactly what and when is planned.
Ashley with his crew delivered nothing less than perfection, from dismantling the old system to the installation of the new one.
If you are considering a Solar system, make yourself a favour and talk to GEM Energy!

Excellent job from start to finish

Very happy with Gem Energy for installing our solar from the consultant, manager and team. The communication with everyone was very reassuring. I would recommend Gem Energy to anyone to have the best solar installed. Thank you so much. (Happy Customer!)

Gem Solar installation

The installation of our new solar panels was flawless and expedient from sales through to the installation.
Communication for the process was clear. It all happened quickly despite being in the end of year silly season.

Very professional and efficient.

The quoting process was excellent - the Rep, who came to see us explained everything in detail. (Other quotes received were phone quotes) We appreciated the personal contact.

The installation was seamless - the guys were very professional and kept us in the loop.

Gem energy has excellent customer service and kept us well informed along the whole process. Highly recommended

Excellent communication. Installation was quick and the panels looks lovely and discreet. Very happy!

Everything from the sales process to the installation was quick and easy. All my questions were answered in detail. Overall, I am really happy with the experience.

Quality Product, Professional Service

Delivered on time. Sales and quoting process was professional, efficient and informative.

Installation was as smooth as might be expected.
Customer service was excellent.

Panels, inverter and battery are working well.

Finally put solar on our house.

Sales and installation went smoothly. System working well since instal.

Very easy and enjoyable process from start to finish

Great service from GemEnergy. They gave me all the information I needed to make an informed decision on which quote to go with. They were really respectful through the whole process. GemEnergy have provided a great quality system for a very competitive price.
The system was installed by Smart Energy Choices (organised by GemEnergy). I can't recommend these guys highly enough. They were professional, informative and very helpful in getting me set up on the day of install.
Overall a great experience all round.

Tailored options, great communication and a safe installation.

Really happy with the service and professionalism from GEM on my 5kW solar installation. Garret Hay was really knowledgeable and willing provide a range of options that suited our situation. He listened and gave us credible options without being pushy like other solar salespeople. The installation was on time and went smoothly, despite a few challenges which were uncovered with my existing electrical work. Michael Edgar communicated as all of the challenges were identified and talked me through options. The solar was installed and my switchboard is now much safer.

Original Review on 28-03-2021:

Highly recommended

Prompt efficient informative service ,kept up to date with all installations Original ratings

8 months later we asked Sarah : "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Original Review on 23-03-2021:

I was impressed with the quality of their project team, and final documentation

My entire exposure to Gem and their subcontractor was both positive, and impressive. I was kept well informed and aware, they were quick, and the standard of documentation was most impressive. The install contractor was well organised and completed the job to a high standard of workmanship & appearance (as a retired sparkie I am well capable of judging). Original ratings

8 months later we asked Alan: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Yes I am quite satisfied with it, and with Gem and the manner in which they operate.

Gem Energy the solar professionals.

It pays to do your homework when looking at solar for your home or business. I actually cancelled an order with a very large solar provider that heavily advertisers after looking more closely at their many customer review complaints, which I did not want to become another statistic. I also was looking for a seamless service from start to finish. After a long and through search I finally found an experienced company called GEM SOLAR with great reviews where I was kept well informed by Chris Roulston in Sales of the choices and finally settled on a quality Canadian Solar Inc Panels and Sungrow Inverter that best suited our needs. Chris was excellent and supplied us with a couple of alternative quotes as well as satellite images showing placement of solar panels on the roof. The Installation Manager Sofia Rivera was terrific and kept us updated thru the install process, it was was seamless from start to finish. Michael, Ian and team doing a perfect professional installation on time. Michael was always so helpful, patient, professional and showed us how the smart app worked as well as the inverter. The energy supplier had us up and running operational in 1 day as we already have a smart read meter in place. i would highly recommend GEM ENERGY to anyone looking at SOLAR whether it was residential or commercial. 5 stars
Frank and Beverely Usai

Great Installer

Garrett supplied an informative quote and came to our house to present the quote.
The installation process was smooth and they came when they said they would, the communication was great throughout.
We had great customer service all through the process.

Great experience.

Every one and everything was great from the installer to the sales people and support staff.

Original Review on 21-10-2020:

Great Service, Immaculate Installation, Fantastic Value

The entire process from start to finish was excellent. At each step, the GEM team were professional, knowledgeable, and responsive. The Sales Rep, the Install Manager, and the Installation Team were extremely easy and pleasant to work with. Communication along the way was great as well.

The finished product looks great and is working perfectly, without a single hiccup.

GEM are also great value. In my case, the offer was so good, I was even encouraged to take it by a (very honest) competitor. I can't recommend them highly enough.

13 months later we asked Thomas: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Since installation, the system has continued to perform at or above expectations, proving to be a great investment!

great job

Quote was quick and easy, all both parties quoted on same products, all connected to grid and the app up and running :)

Definitely recommend

GEM were perfect.
dealt with Sophie who was on the ball for every change in date etc
communication was excellent and site crew did a great job
neat and tidy
Would recommend getting in touch with sophie and the crew

great work

Simon

10/10 from start to finish

From start to finish, these guys were terrific. We spoke to Garrett in sales about our options, which he laid out extremely clearly and with detail. He never gave us the hard sell, but instead provided us with all the information we needed while still giving us what he thought we should do. Once we settled on what we wanted, the installation manager Lachlan was in communication with us, worked around our schedule and organised a terrific team led by Michael to do the install. The installation didn't take too long and the boys did a terrific and very professional job. No mess, no fuss, and everything was checked and double checked before they left to make sure there were no issues. I would recommend GEM to anyone looking for a proper solar company. 10/10, would hire again.

Original Review on 02-01-2021:

Solar Power

Sales/quoting was a little awkward as the sales person sent me the documents and then went on a month holiday. installation crew was excellent and very tidy and certainly tried to do the job the neatest way. There was a bit of a mix up with the grid connection but was sorted with a couple of phone calls, it hasn't been connected as yet due to the xmas break. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Ted: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

GEM of an experience

The quoting process was good and I was able to ask questions and give inputs. The installer that GEM used a guy called Jason was excellent to deal with and was pretty pedantic about getting it right, which is a good thing. The project manager Sophie has been and was a pleasure to deal with. They just made it easy and were in contact throughout the process.

What a GEM of a system!

Had our whopping 9.2KW system installed two weeks ago. Very happy with everything. The installation boys were tremendous. I couldn't believe how hard they worked in our tropical Darwin heat. Love the system. This is the 2nd house we have used GEM to put us onto solar and would definitely recommend them.

Original Review on 28-12-2020:

Great service and a quality install make for a very happy customer!

Andrew, the GEM Energy sales consultant, was very open and honest with me about the pros and cons of the components he walked me through, along with the sizing and expected returns on my system. He was very responsive to my subsequent questions, which gave me confidence to press ahead. The installation manager Sophie then took over and kept me informed throughout, with the install scheduled for a few weeks later. The installers arrived on time, were very polite and respectful, and completed their work in good time. I received notification from Energex a day or two later with an appointment for the meter upgrade, which occurred as scheduled. The system has now been live for a couple of weeks, and I'm thrilled with the results! I couldn't have asked for a smoother process from start to finish. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Peter: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

After 9 months, I'm still very pleased with our system. We've received a credit on our bill each month and are tracking well against the original projection of the system paying itself off within 4 years.

Original Review on 12-12-2020:

Quality company

The salesperson was well presented and there were two systems quoted in a very professional and informative brochure that also showed positioning of panels. All my questions were answered satisfactorily and I was informed of the date and time of installation.

The installer was punctual, friendly and polite. The process was fuss free and they tidied up when finished. They organised the grid connection and I received an email from my energy provider the next day. I have also had a follow-up e-mail and phone call from Gem advising me to contact them should I have any problems or questions. I will be visited by energy supplier to change meter on 23rd December. So glad I contacted solarquotes . Thank you.

8 months later we asked Yvonne : "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Great experience from first to last

GEM and installer were very professional, friendly and willing to explain any questions I had considering my limited knowledge of solar. They have done a great job considering all the circumstances around the timing during the lockdown.

Thank you and I look forwarding to enjoying the benefits of having solar.

Hamdi

Original Review on 24-11-2020:

There has been considerable delay and disfunction regarding the selection, design and still 3 months away.

The issue of shading of the roof in winter months and the effect this would have on the production of power and the best possible design and layout which took a number of emails over several weeks was finally resolved by my engaging an arborist at over $2000 additional cost to remove the offending tree. The application to Ergon Energy was also somewhat delayed by Gem asking for key information, meter box photos and site inspections on several different occasions.

Their local contractor in the Hervey Bay Area then could not fit our installation into their schedule for a further 3 months. The final assault was the information back from Ergon that our connection to the grid would have to be at zero feed-in as the local transformer was 200% over supplied already by existing solar installations in the area.

Not a happy experience and still waiting for our installation appointment.

8 months later we asked Neil: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

All round good expierence

We contacted a few local installers to our area but the prices and products seemed overpriced or lacked the warranties we were after. Gem Energy on the other hand gave us a range of options and panels to choose from that were all within our price and quality requirements.

We decided on the newly released 390W Hyundai Solar panels in a 5KW configuration and am really happy with them since we got them installed two weeks ago. Chris our sales consultant was super patient with us as we weighed our options from them and other companies, and was very quick to send through a few quotes and configuration options that gave us all the information we needed. This was all done over the phone without the need of an onsite visit, with the onsite visit only organised after we had agreed on the system.

Our installation manager Sophie was again super patient with us when it came to the installation process as we needed to upgrade our fuse box and point of attachment which added a few grand to the install cost. Sophie gave us all the information we needed and an explanation as to why, even comparing a few quotes we got from a few other electricians to do the switchboard upgrade and pointing out what they had missed.

When it came to our installation everything went super smoothly over the two day installation. Luke explained everything that was going to get done and let us know before hand when the power would need to be turned off and explained the system and how to operate it once it was installed. A big shout out to Luke and the team for managing to only use the 5 spare tiles we had on hand even though they had asked that we have 10 just in case.

I would highly recommend Gem Energy to anyone considering getting solar.

Great customer service and quality installation

From start to finish this was a great experience for having my new Tesla powerwall 2 installed.

Sophie and the customer care team were so helpful in getting my scoping and installation organised and we're always prompt and clear with their communications.

The day of installation was hassle free and the installers did a clean and quick job. They asked about my needs and ensured they met them. They also ensured the app was fully connected and set up for optimal usage.

I cannot recommend them highly enough !

Outstanding Gem

What a great service from Gem Energy. We were introduced to them via RACQ and they have been marvellous to deal with, starting with Andrew from the quote, through to Sophie and Hamish on the installation team. They took the time to explain everything and delivered on time and on budget, with no surprises. We opted for a large 13kW system and could not be more happier. We recommend them. Outstanding Gem, well done, and thank you.

Excellent customer service all round

Sophie McLennan and her team from Gem Energy have been most helpful in the initial design, the finalisation of the installation of our panels and overcoming Ergon Energy’s original refusal to allow us to export surplus power to the local grid. This has greatly improved the economics of the overall project.

The response to my email enquires, the professional manner of the installers as well as the follow up customer care have been exceptional.

Great from go to whoa

The sales staff obliged with producing quotes for several design specifications, and answered my various technical questions. Once or twice had to apologise for proving an incorrect answer after further investigations but none of this was over major issues; I think this is a good sign of honesty and intergrity. The installation of 36 panels on our roof was done in one day, and the installer were respectful and left the please clean and tidy. Communications with them were excellent throughou the process. I am looking forward to seeing what the app on my phone will reveal.

Fantastic service

GEM energy was great. from the 1st phone call to the last. Best service all round

Awesome service provided by all!

Excellent service provided by Andrew Allen and Ms Sophie McLennan from Gem.

Work performed by installers was also top notch.

All service was provided in a friendly and professional manner.

Thank you.

Easy Peasy!!

I was recommended GEM and based on third party reviews didn't bother looking elsewhere. Quote was easy to understand and lower than expected. Install was very easy to arrange and fast. Would reccommend GEM to friends and family.

Very bad installation

I install gem energy solar panels and my whole roof is leaking where the panels are installed. They broke the tiles while installation but did not fixed. Be careful everyone

Original Review on 06-07-2020:

Hasn't been installed yet

So far customer service has been good. Discounted price on quote originally supplied Original ratings

8 months later we asked Kathryn: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Very happy with our system. We have a very hungry house/energy using kids. Still have a bill but hundreds saved

Great product and excellent service

Very detailed quotes for both a premium and mid range system were provided and were the only company to include the 3rd party monitoring system which I specifically requested through solar quotes. Installation was very quick and tidy despite them working in tough conditions at this time of year. They organised the grid connection both saving me a lot of work and allowing me to take advantage of my new solar power system much more quickly than I thought would be possible.

Fantastic Company!

This is the second install that GEM energy has completed for our family, both installs were completed professionally and the sales team were great to deal with. The installs were completed in 2 different locations (Darling Downs and Wide Bay) using two different installers on behalf of GEM Energy and because of the thorough checks and assurance from GEM the installers were both very professional and a high quality experienced install was received. Highly recommend GEM to everyone!!!

Original Review on 30-04-2020:

GEM made the process so easy

The sales person I dealt with was Garrett. He was incredibly polite and easy going and extremly helpful. Once I had made my decision, I dealt with Sofia who, once again, was easy going, easy to deal with and helpful. Seemed to know everything! The installation went smoothly and I was extremely impressed by the cleanliness of the site after they left. and also their working around a painful antenna.

The customer service has been spot on and Sofia has kept me in the loop the entire time. So impressed and would definitely use these guys again! I wish GEM all the best!

8 months later we asked Lotte: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Absolutely!

Original Review on 10-04-2020:

Quality Process and Product

Sales/quoting process was excellent, efficiently done, informative. Process smooth as clockwork. Best price. Top quality product. Streamlined process meant there was always someone to contact should the need arise. Installation went without a hitch. Personnel capable and made very little noise as they worked. Job completed in less than a day. The electrician was organised and professional, happy to answer any questions and re-explain if I needed clarification, did not leave until he was sure I had got the jist. Grid connected as of Wednesday and everything working perfectly. Yes, installers were polite. Would highly recommend them to anyone considering Solar. Original ratings

9 months later we asked Jenny: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Yes completely.

Beautiful install

System looks sleek and not an eyesore at all. GEM went so far to make sure appearance and functionality married up.

Fantastic customer service. Great price for quality system.

GEM Energy was recommended to me by my sister who has used them on two occasions. Their staff were so great to deal with. Their sales representative Garret worked with us to get the best system possible within our budget and gave me the best price out of four companies who quoted. In the end we were able to get a much larger system than we had initially thought, whilst still getting something good quality (we ended up with 9.75kw Sunpower panels and an 8.2kw Fronius inverter). The install was part of a new build and a lovely lady named Sofia stayed in touch with us and our building supervisor from start to finish. She organised for their electrician to prewire the system at frame stage and the installers completed the installation of the panels yesterday. Sofia organised everything with our energy provider and just made the whole thing so easy for us. Highly recommended.