SEM Group

SEM Group Reviews

SEM utilise industry leading products & technology to ensure the performance and longevity of your solar system.

Offering great value for money, our experts will be able to advise you on the best system for you.

We also offer great finance options where your repayments are similar to what you make from your solar system.

Our experience and diverse range of products coupled with outstanding customer service and support allows you to sit back, relax and enjoy the comfortable process of your new solar installation.

Darwin Contact Details:
A: 64 Raphael Road, Winnellie NT 0820

Brisbane Contact Details:
A: Unit 2/6 Overend Street, East Brisbane QLD 4169

Adelaide Contact Details:
A: 76 Hughes Street, Mile End SA 5010

Melbourne Contact Details:
A: Level 9/440 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

Reviewers report paying: $4,900 - $12,200 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

The views expressed by reviewers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of Peacock Media Group, which makes no representations as to the accuracy of the reviews. For our full disclaimer and further information, see our Terms of Use and our Review Guidelines.

SEM Group Reviews (318)

Original Review on 19-10-2021:

Excellent System, great installer.

Salesman was very friendly and helped me choose the best system for me, not the cheapest but a good quality system. The installer was punctual and professional and did a nice neat job with the layout of panels and location of inverter, compleating the job in one long day. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Dale: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Yes it performs well eliminating my power bills.

SEM are amazing

Our 8 yr old solar system became unsafe and had to be turned off, the initial installers were no longer in business. Meg at SEM was more than happy to deal with the entire warranty process on our behalf and we couldn't be more happy.
On install day the crew showed up on time and had the entire old system down and new system installed and working by 1pm. The boys were friendly and kept us in the loop. I cannot tell you how amazing it was to not have to deal with any of the drama that I know I would have got if I'd had to do this process myself.
If you're looking for the best team then they are right here. Thank you SEM, I will be back when we are ready for the air con install to be done.

Original Review on 19-09-2021:

Interesting Experience

Happy with what I have purchased. Installation went reasonably well and took just the day to complete. One part of the racking system was not available on the day and still waiting on it to be replaced with the correct cover. Communication with S.E.M. group has been ok given the circumstances. Incredibly frustrating waiting for electric company to change everything over now so haven't been able to use system yet. Original ratings

Good morning Julie. Thank you for your review which has been forwarded to me for comment as your review is well below our high standard that has been set over the last 6 years. I have read your comments and they match exactly what has happened on your installation. Unfortunately human error resulted in 1 black isolator cover being missed off your order which I believe was discussed with you on the day (by the installer) and then again with your project co-ordinator Chantelle. Unfortunately we have no control over SAPN (I wish we did). The 1 black isolator cover which was missing (and a silver one installed on the day) will be installed as a mater of urgency and I will chase this up myself today. Apologies for this oversight and we will get your isolator cover replaced as soon as possible.

Brett Adams
Founding Director

8 months later we asked Julie: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

System is now performing well.

Premium install, amazing service

Cold called this local company due to dissatisfaction with other quotes received - too many companies are price focused, not quality focused. Spent an hour on the phone with AK from SEN Australia before I even committed to anything - he walked me through all the options and provided well justified recommendations to make sure I was properly informed. I can tell that he is genuinely passionate about solar, and top-tier installations.
Answered any and all of my curly questions leading up to the install, including going above and beyond to source some less common monitoring gear.
Install was completed within a month of first contact, to an amazing standard. He even deliberately works with a strict inspector to ensure that his work is up to scratch and done properly.
If you're located in northern Melbourne and are after a local who really knows his stuff and isn't just in it for a quick buck, AK from SEN Australia is your guy.

Original Review on 24-08-2021:

SEM Group Darwin

SEM attended my property and discussed what type of system I required. I had done quite a bit of research, so the process was easy. The installation was commenced, and I was advised that it could not be completed as the Solar panels were not available, as such the installation of the systems frame work and electrical components was completed. The following week the Solar panels were fitted. Unfortunately the sales rep I was dealing with no loner worked for SEM Darwin, and as such communication became a little problematic. There was a delay in the system being commissioned, due to a combination of SEM and the electricity provider failing to turn up as arranged.

The system is now up and running, Installation appears to be of a good standard. The system is working well. Once again communication could have been better. It is early days, but at this time I am happy with the Solar system fitted by SEM Darwin.

7 months later we asked Bill: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

All working very well, solar system and battery have cut our bills by a minimum of 2/3rds. Exceeded my expectations.

Great experience

We received 14 options from 4 different installers !

I would definitely recommend SEM.

From the quoting process to the install and troubleshooting, everything was fast and efficient.
- Great advice received during the quoting process from Aaron
- Panels were installed 1 day after signing the quote thanks to another job being cancelled!
- Really easy admin interface with Meg with good and reactive email acommunication
- We opted for an individual panel monitoring system with a not so obvious additional subscription fee for the app. SEM was quick in covering that cost. Great customer service here.

Overall great experience!

Good job

SEM were very helpful all round with questions before during and after install. Jobs were done well as far as I can see. A couple of confusions with paperwork but easily sorted.
Pity my supplier (AGL) haven’t been as prompt and helpful with connection to grid. Install was 20/1. Might get connected 10/3 but not holding my breath as has been put back 3x so far.
Whereas my rental house which was done at same time (smaller system 6.6kW) was up & running just 2 weeks after installation through Origin.

Great service throughout the whole process

Amazing service! From the first contact from Aaron, the team installing the panels and Meg's support, our experience has been completely smooth. All questions answered, prompt delivery and installation, on time and highly professional... cannot recommend SEM Group high enough. Thank you team!

SEM were very easy to work with through the entire process. Quoting, follow up, helping to get approval from strata, and installation.
A Very helpful and high quality company.

Excellent.

Fast, efficient, effective and friendly service and work. Excellent workmanship and a neat, professional job. Nothing not to like.

Easy to deal with no hard sell.

Sales man was terrific and answered all my questions. Payment of bond was quick and easy
Installer was punctual and turned up when he said. Was given advice on best power company to go with for best tariff rebate.

Solar panels on new shed.

This company did not do a site visit until after the contract was signed. Even then, the quoted number of panels could not be installed because of the screw line layout on the roof. This could have been corrected with a detailed site visit and roof inspection. So the quoted 24 panel 8.88kW system became a 20 panel 7.4kW system. The installer had to explain this at the time of installation - I would have preferred the correct quote at the time. Note that the other two companies sent their reps out to inspect and measure the site before quoting.

The actual installation was good, they were tidy and punctual, and did an excellent job.

There seemed to be a bit of miscommunication after the installation, with an incorrect invoice sent referring to the original 8.88kW 24 panel system, with a credit for four panels. I left three messages to their office with no reply. However when contact was eventually made they quickly corrected their invoice to represent reality, and payment was made.

Good morning Greg,

Thank you for your review and you have have brought up some valid points which I will workshop though with the respective team members who dealt with your project. Thank you for your balanced review, and I'm very pleased that you were happy with our installation on the day. With out feedback like this we can't improve, so thank you very much.

Brett Adams - Director

Happy with the solar install

Happy with the quoting/sales process. Installation was quick and smooth, only took a day.

Great company, and on time install right before Xmas. Excellent follow up customer service

Organised and helpful

The sales experience was very informative and addressed all the issues if was worried about. Not pushy, just good knowledgeable discussion.

Great customer service

I have had Solar installed before by a different Installer 13kW/ 10kW inverter. However once the system was installed that installer was not really interested.

What a difference i have found with the SEM Group QLD.
The installation was done on 24th December which I think shows the commitment of the group. I imagine it was a difficult time for them not just with Xmas but uncertain whether we had in December.

I highly recommend SEM.

Then it just gets better. The helpful attitude to setting up my monitoring, the email that assures me that if there is an outage of any sort..(power, internet), they will help re-establish the connection to the Fronius Inverter.
It is very reassuring to have the confidence that SEM will be there to assist.

This company gets 10/10 for customer service and follow up.

Original Review on 04-05-2021:

Satisfied Customer

The quoting process was very good, as I had the sales man come to visit and he explained the system installation process and answered my questions so I was able to understand.
I was also very satisfied with the young men who installed the system. They were polite, friendly and explained the process to me, including giving me advise as to what the next steps would be.
I have already received a date for the replacement of the old meter with a new.

8 months later we asked Pamela: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Great Service

From the initial inquiry to completed installation this was top quality service. We engaged with three folks: initial proposal with Aaron to operations with Meg and installation with Jack. All were excellent . The turnaround was swift but the friendly service was faultless. Thanks so much!

Original Review on 17-04-2021:

Great company

Very understanding, no question a bother and prompt answers. Installation done on time ,consulting with the installers great ,very accomodating with best placement. Company rang after installation regarding if I was happy with everything and if staff were polite and everything tidy. All grid connection ect handled wonderfully. Company would still like me to let them know when my next power bill comes in so they can check that I’m getting the best possible service. Wonderful they want to follow up. Great. Original ratings

The service through the whole process was great

The only issue we have is 1 panel is a different shade to the rest, “manufacturing differences” but it does stand out on the front of our house

Absolutely recommend SEM Group

SEM group did an excellent job of designing and installing a 30 Kw solar system. The installation by Jack was absolutely amazing, keeping it extremely neat and well organised. The cables were run internal to the garage where the inverters are mounted as requested even though it added an extra complexity to the job. I would highly recommend SEM group for their expert knowledge, amazing organisation and in particular their above and beyond installation.

SEM Solar experience

From the moment SEM got in contact with us the whole experience was pleasant and professional. The sales person punctual, very informative and explained everything so we completely understand what was going to happen. Installation crew were brilliant, arrived when said they would, very polite and friendly. Walked us through the operation of system (9.25kw, 25 panel system). Customer service very good, all calls if not answered were returned and fully informative. Highly recommend them for solar. Thanks Finn for your help.

SEM Darwin is the only way to go!

I used SEM Darwin for the installation of my solar panels and battery. The quoting process was professional, prompt and friendly, and I was guided through the process of grant application for the battery by the team. Once my grant application was approved, SEM were in contact to book a convenient date for installation.

The day of installation was baking hot and the guys did a wonderful job installing my panels and battery, and then giving me a layman's guide as to how everything worked. I couldn't be happier with the service I received from the moment I contacted them for a quote, right through until after installation, when I have been called to check that I am ok with everything and understand how it all works.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend SEM Darwin! Great job guys!

Satisfied overall. Informative during planning. No major issues with installation. Responds to post-sales inquiries.

Sales/quoting was straight forward.
Installation had no major issues.
-MPPT strings were swapped during installation, but fix was trivial and installer responded to after-sales inquiries in a timely manner.

Straight shooting.

With the availability of information available it's just a question of having enough time to sort between good and bad advice. Everything provided to me by SEM SA stacked up to be true, and correct.

10/10 experience

Service and price were both better than all competitors. A match made in heaven.

My Solar Expetience

Quoting process was efficient.
Installation went smoothly, very tidy job.
So far the customer service has been good.

Would recommend SEM.

Great team and service overall

The quoting process was smooth and very informative.
The installation went well (although a few holes had to be made in the wall, but they have been patched up ), the team was very polite, professional and punctual.
Customer service was great, they did everything to organise grid connection, etc...

Good experience for us.

The sales person was informative and provided plenty of info for us to feel confident in our decision. The installation team went about the job with no fuss and informed us what we signed at the end. Good job.

High Quality Install - Ease to deal with. Good price

From the start to finish the process has been very easy to deal with. Matt was very punctual, easy to deal with and reassuring to my questions.
Install on the day was very good - Callum ensured I was kept across a few small changes once they were on the roof due to vents etc. that was not initially captured in the quote. If anything the end result is better than planned and more suited to what I was looking for. He also provided great advice regarding my lead-in cabling.

The system with LG panels and Fronius inverter performs remarkably well. I can't wait for my NT Gov battery voucher to be approved so I can add my PowerWall to this install!

The only improvements that could be made are more advice regarding the permit process in the NT, and keeping in touch regarding the meter upgrade
They did advise when required to organise my PV agreement with my provider etc. so no issue there.

Excellent installation.

From the sales rep Aaron coming out to quote us on a system, to the professional and courteous electrician Jack who installed our system, SEM have been fantastic to deal with. I would recommend them to any interested in getting solar!

Service from the commencement has bene exceptional, both from Aaron and equally the Administration back up team.

You pay for what you get, and while we could have got cheaper (nastier) systems, we are delighted with the size and quality of what we settled on.

Installation was fantastic, it was a large job 36 panels, but the installers worked incredibly hard to get everything finished, and retuned to ensure efficiency of final product.

Initially, we had issues connecting to the App , but SEM Admin quickly and efficiently organized a return visit to have this rectified.

Its Fantastic to watch and monitor performance, and have piece of mind knowing we are generating well in excess of what we can use, so power bills will now be a thing of the past.

Great Installation Experience

Very prompt quote after on-site visit.
Installation date agreed on and installation proceeded on the agreed date an time.
Installers were very polite and acted in a professional manner. They removed my old system as requested and installed the new system professionally. They needed to come back for a few hours the next day to complete the commissioning. Full tidy up leaving no mess at all.
Their office kept me up to date in invoicing and appointment times. All paperwork warranties CoC etc were also sent promptly.
System working beyond expectations. Very nice in this day and age to see quality tradesmen doing a remarkable job for a reasonable price.
Have no hesitation to recommend this company SEM Darwin and also Solarquotes for steering me in their direction. Thank you All.
Howard

Fantastic company.

The SEM rep, Joss, was friendly and informative.
Joss and I have been discussed in the last 6 months regarding the solar system solution for our new home.
He is very patient and provide a lot of proposals It allowed us to compare, choose the one that suited our budget.
They provided an excellent price ($13K for 16.65kW with two 8.25kW inverter) that beat every other price for a system of equally great quality through solar quotes.
My installation with SEM went seamlessly and straight-forward, and they did a brilliant job.
The electrician was punctual and thorough. They explained how the inverter and app work.
Highly recommended.
PS. After 1 week monitoring in July, our system produce average 80kW per day.

Looking forward to seeing performance of system

Whole process was good. Sales/quoting process was very informative with no question too difficult. Installation was smooth sailing with polite installation team. Post sale customer service has been good - minor misunderstanding was dealt with efficiently and promptly. Pricing seems right and looking forward down the track to being able to back this up with a good review regarding the performance of the system.

Solar installation

Joss at SEM provided fantastic support throughout the pricing and installation process. Installation crew were all nice guys; polite, courteous, chatty. They all knew their stuff really well and could discuss and provide more detailed information on the system.
Follow up service was great too. Grid connection was all organised by SEM.

Original Review on 22-10-2020:

Very happy

The SEM rep was friendly and informative. I appreciated the 3 proposals provided by SEM. It allowed us to choose the one that suited our budget. The electrician was punctual and thorough. Installation was straight-forward. The electrician explained how the inverter and app work. SEM have been helpful after installation, ie. reminding me to call power company and insurance company, etc. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Thi-Thi: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

The solar panels and inverter have met my expectations in that we are getting credits on our power bill, which we use to pay for future power use. However, the feed-in tariff is about to reduce by half to 3.5c and the energy rate is being reduced by a tiny fraction.

Review removed at the request of the reviewer

Learn More

great installation, completed in 3 hours, waiting for AGL to switch meter

happy with sale person and quoting, installation guys were punctual and efficient, awaiting change of meter at present

Good install but customer service needs improvement

I did thorough research and obtained multiple quotes before I decided to go ahead with SEM Group.

What I liked about them:
- good reviews both on FB and SolarQuotes sites
- their sales person (Adam) attended our property in person within a day I contacted them and did a thorough walkabout; Adam responded to my emails promptly and adjusted their quote a few times without any delay.
- offered the best price (even our installation was not a easy one (3-storey building)
- they were on time and finished the job in a day
- they promptly organised grid connection

Things I was disappointed about:
- During the install, one of the installers made a punch-through hole in the wall and initially offered a dodgy cover-up fix with a piece of plastic cable channel. He tried to tell me there was no other way to he could've avoided that but later the crew foreman admitted this was a mistake and arranged a painter to fix the hole. It took almost a week to fix the whole after multiple calls to the painter - SEM Group Customer service did not do much about it at all (not even sure they were made aware of the issue).

- Per initial quote, I was meant to get 22 panels installed on the northern side of the roof. During the install, I've been advised that 2 panels need to be relocated from the northern to the southern side of the roof to allow min clearances on each side of the panel strings. Apparently, the guy who was doing the quote did wrong assessment of the roof size. When prompted to compensate for potential loss of the system production due to relocation to sub-optimal southern side of the roof, he said there is nothing he could do with that.

- Once the system was installed and connected to wifi, it kept dropping out - I had to re-connect it to an alternative (more reliable) wifi network. When requested help from the installer via text message, I was getting response only after hours (apparently, the guy was very busy). Customer services was not able to help me - I had to look up on internet how to re-configure inverters wifi connection myself (which was not a biggie for me but could've been a problem for others).

Recommendation:
I felt that SEM Group overall is a responsible installer, who try to look after their customers, however, they need to improve their customer service to give best experience so that their clients didn't feel left alone with any issues arising during and straight after the installation. A dedicated customer support contact I could talk to would've been a great help to me!

Good afternoon Sergei,

Thank you for your review, whilst there are some positives there are also some negatives which we always try to minimise. With the initial research you did around us, as you would have found, we have an exceptionally good name and customer service is one of our strengths. We take all feedback exceptionally seriously and I will be conducting a full review around your points above. Once I have completed by analysis I will give you a call to discuss if that is ok. Thank you once again for choosing us for your installation and without feedback we can't improve so thank you for taking time to fill this in.

Brett Adams
Founding Director - SEM Group

Wonderful solar experience with knowledgeable and hard workers

Aaron from SEM Group was easily the nicest and most knowledgeable salesperson of the multiple quotes we received (including others from outside of SolarQuotes). He knew his stuff, and could answer any questions we had instantly. We continued to ask detailed questions about our proposed system and solar in general. He responded to all emails very promptly and provided detailed information - a very appreciated factor!

The installers came on time, and ended up working longer than expected, putting in a hard 10 hour day. They worked diligently throughout the day, and there wasn't a minute where someone wasn't on the roof doing something.

Overall, a great experience.

Original Review on 17-08-2020:

Great products at a competitive price.

SEM came around the afternoon I called. They provided a quote the next day. They offered premium products at a price that was cheaper than the competition. They delivered the installation when they said and were on time and very professional. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Adrian: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Absolutely. Happy to send you csv files of performance if that will be of interest to you.

Fantastic experience in all ways!

Our initial contact Peter couldn’t be more helpful and accommodating. Made everything so easy for us.

The office kept us updated and were lovely and polite. The installers came on time and did a great job.

I have no complaints at all. The whole experience was so easy and pleasant!!

Good prompt, customer service

We became very confused trying to compare quotes from several companies. SEM were punctual, friendly and efficient

Physically visited to provide a quote

SEM Darwin when quoting physically made the effort to visit to provide an accurate quote without any extras.
While the Tesla Battery was late they kept me informed beforehand to arranged another day for installation.
Quality of installation was excellent and I love the Tesla app to keep me informed how much electricity we are using, how much solar I am generating and how much is going into the grid, also how much % is in the battery. Went for the Fronius inverter and the LG panels which have all worked a dream.
I took advantage of the NTGovts rebate for solar and battery installation $8000

Original Review on 23-07-2020:

Pretty Good Overall

Overall I'm happy with the system installed. A couple of minor negatives were: a) installer ended up doing a slightly different east / west split than we talked about in the morning after he inspected the roof - think he confused himself a bit; b) panels were installed too close to the gutter on one string - I gave the leading hand a call not long after he'd left and he came back and fixed up with me. They promptly contacted AGL to organise the grid connection. Original ratings

Good afternoon Andrew. Thank you for taking time to write a review on how we performed on your project. As we have an exceptional name on this platform, when we get a review like this we will conduct a full investigation onto what happened and more importantly learn from this experience so that it doesn't happen again.

My sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Brett Adams - Director SEM Group

8 months later we asked Andrew: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

No change

Original Review on 20-07-2020:

Good experience from start to finish.

Quoting very informative with quick follow up afterwards when I ensiled queries.
Installers Came promptly, worked quickly and neatly and were extra helpful.

8 months later we asked Wendy: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Yes. It has done well for me over the year

Excellent knowledge and advice. Professional and helpful customer service.

Excellent service and communication from booking quote and install date, to installation and post install. Salesperson was helpful, professional and knowledgeable, not pushy or sales-y. SEM listened to what we were looking for, provided great quality advice and products, were punctual, polite and tidy at install. Great follow up with all the info we needed post-install to connect our app and advise our retailer we were connected to solar.

Great company

Received clear quotes on 2 size systems. Site visit by Damian ( sales) and Daemon (electrician , installer) was pivotal - able to check out best fit for roof , allay any concerns I had with installation on tiled roof , discussed and explained benefits of chosen system . Signed Wednesday , system installed following Monday! Installers- Ed, Ashe and Daemon were great and worked a big day to get system on. App to follow system great to use. Follow up help with reading app / getting meter change approvals done very helpful.

Professional Installer

Professional from start through to finish. Exceptional customer service and follow up.