Sunboost Reviews

About Sunboost, Solar Installers

Sunboost

Reviewers report paying: $3,000 - $7,300 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

Sunboost is a Solar Power Installation company based in and serves ACT. Here are their reviews as submitted by visitors to SolarQuotes

Sunboost Solar Reviews

Great service, Did what they said they would do and when they would do it. Not much info on how to lead app and connect to system.

Fairly painless process. Everything went well. Would have loved more info/direction on connecting the app and getting info from it. They arranged grid connection after install. Show additional information

Don’t be sucked into their “special deal just for you.

My parents and brother purchases systems through Sunboost and due to the good value I asked for a quote for a single phase system. I only have a small house and am a single parent of 2 young children. I agreed to the quote and paid the deposit in November 2019. No one from the company visits the house, they just ask for pictures of the meter board etc. Out of the 4 of us that installed with Sunboost, my parents were the only ones that didn’t have any issues and that was probably due to the fact they already had a system connected and were just adding some panels.

When Sunboost received my pictures they convinced me to go to the 3 phase system similar to my brother, who has a massive house with ducted air and a pool. They assured me that this was the best move so I agreed to the extra cost.

They took forever to then organise installation and I had to chase them several times. It took over a month to get an installation date in late January.

When they arrived there were a number of issues with the installation and they needed to get approval from Sunboost as there was going to be additional costs involved. They left while I battled through the issue with Sunboost and after some negotiation we finally came to an agreement. I should have pulled out at this point!

They returned at the end of February (3 months after signing up and paying my deposit). They installed the panels and hooked everything up so my solar was running without any updates being made to the meters. I still had very old meters and the solar power caused them to go in reverse - which led to issues with my electricity provider and estimated bills causing me to pay much more for my power. This also caused my off-peak to be turned off and due to my solar hot water system needing the booster to heat up, I was without hot water in the house from the date of installation to the day when I had to organise and pay for someone to come and fix up the mess they created.

It then took Sunboost several weeks to put the request to Origin to upgrade my meters. The Origin Meter installer arrived in the middle of April (almost 5 months after sign up and deposit paid). He looked at the meters and advised that Sunboost had made a bad call advising me to go to 3 phase as they wouldn’t fit on the board and I needed quite a bit of work to make some space on the board. As I had originally requested single phase I felt I had been tricked by them who “upgraded me”. At this point I was handed off to someone else to deal with the issues.

They often told me they was going to get back to me and never returned my call. I would have to repeatedly call them until I got him to answer. After installation I had a leak in the roof that needed repair (this was repaired by the originally installer), I needed my hot water back on (it had been 4 months since I had hot water in the house) and the meters to be installed. Origin sent someone to investigate what had happened with my meters and advised that the solar panels should never have been turned on and advised that Sunboost had “taken me for a ride” by convincing me to go to 3 phase as I would never get the value of a 3 phase system with the size of my roof limiting the panels.

After lots of backward and forward calls and Sunboost obtaining a quote to upgrade my meter (at my expense) but refusing to provide me with the quote, I found someone who could upgrade my meter and install the new meters at the same time which would also resolve my hot water issues. At the beginning of July I finally had my meters installed and my hot water back on. I had purchased a Wi-fi system so I could track my usage however I had a inverter installed that required wiring into the internet. This was not done by the installers.

I forwarded the bill for the Meter upgrade to Sunboost and asked them to pay it and fix the connection to the internet. At this stage they became very argumentative and rude and eventually agreed to look into it and they would return my call. I am still waiting for the return phone call on this issue. An electrician did come to instal the cable to ensure the unit was connected to the internet at Sunboost’s costs. This was completed this week. 10 months after the initial purchase and 6 months after installation.

This whole process has been a nightmare. All through winter my kids and I have had to shower in the garage using a small hot water heater. I have had to boil a kettle to wash up dishes and have had to find ways of doing things without turning on a hot water tap. I received my first bill recently since it was hooked up. My bill was half what it normally was but considering I had paid them $5000 for a system that didn’t work for over 6 months and was also paying my full electricity bills (which were Higher estimates due to the meters going in reverse) I am way behind and will need a long time to make up the losses (including me having to pay for the power board to be adjusted to fit a 3 phase power meter).

My brother had just as bad an experience with the installers leaving the job half done with only half his panels connected and live wires exposed. He also purchased a wi-fi system only to have a wired system installed. When the electrician who arrived to install the cable he found the system was not connected properly and the live wires. He made it safe but my brother is still waiting for his system to be fixed. This is 10 months after his initial booking.

I have been told that Sunboost have a reputation such as this and they manipulate customers to leave good reviews and then fail in their support when things go wrong. When things get really bad they shut up shop and open up again under another name just to do the same thing again to more unsuspecting customers.

My advise is to pay the extra for a quality installation without the added hassles of dealing with these call centres with no experience in the area of solar power and have no right to be advising anyone on what they should or should not be installing as an employee told me that they are not experts in this area. I did point out that perhaps they shouldn’t be advising people then however they ignored this comment.

Good all round offer & best value for money

Sales and quoting was easy and although they did follow up it was not a “high pressure” sales approach.
Installation was carried out on the day that was booked without any long wait and they turned up on time. Although English was not the first language of the installation team the communication was adequate (but not great). They knew what they were doing, completed the installation without any issues, cleaned up after themselves and provided some explanation on the system.
Customer service was good. They called up after the installation to confirm everything was ok. The system included a separate plug device for wifi connection which had poor literature on the set up but customer service stepped me through this and did some of the set up for me.
They notified the retailer of the install and the meter will be changed in a few days which is late but that is the retailers issue not the installer.

Good Pricing and Payment Plan

Happy with Sunboost, easy to arrange, all the steps along the way went smoothly, installer was very professional. The main reason we went with Sunboost was the interest free payment plan through Brighte finance. System is running well. Show additional information

Stay away PLEASE, Dodgey, unprofessional, aggressive marketing tactics and spam

I didn't proceed to installation as I ended up cancelling for the following reasons: (I have evidence for these)

- Too Aggressive marketing - even calling and texting on Saturdays, many emails that can be considered spamming, Even after saying I have actually gone with another company the calls never stop, offering 'deals of the day' etc.

- Sneaky Price tactics: Using obvious persuasion tactics, before quotes initially stated they could give a very good price especially for me, yet their first quote was 1K higher than 2 other companies for a lesser system!!

- Other sneaky price tactic was - Hiding the inverter brand being provided for the system - inverters can be between $800 dollars to $2000 - not naming the brand and just calling it 'inverter' on the quote was a serious red flag - every other company quote names the inverter.

-The quotes came back TOO Quick - Why is this a problem? I've noticed other solar companies take a day or two, and that is because it takes time for electrical engineers and design to calculate optimal solar exposure (which they also show on diagrams on email), possible shading from neighbours, layout of panels etc.

These guys did it in an hour, and guess what, they did it on the WRONG address, 4 houses down my neighbour hood instead of mine (also have evidence for this)

- Other red flag is - The retailer is not Clean Energy Council Certified (CEC) (despite being the 'largest PV provider in Australia' as they keep saying. Sunboost is NOT on the CEC list of certified retailers, their only claim is they use CEC installers instead, begs the question - are they outsourcing their work to different CEC installer contractors? If so may be complicated liability issues if there are problems with the system later.

Please do your due diligence,

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY WORST EVER EXPERIENCE

I paid my deposit to Sunboost solar in January, I had to pay another $499.50 to have the meter box upgraded. They constantly call and email to get the money upfront but its now August and I have NO SOLAR INSTALLED, I have written emails , made calls with NO RETURN CONTACT. I have written formal complaints, requested the external dispute process all this information is legally required and still they just ignore you. After being committed to instalation within 6-8 weeks its been 8 MONTHS.
I just want my money back and go to a reputable supplier.
Allan Border should be ashamed to put his name to this company they are the worst experience I have ever had and I am now in the process of commencing legal action.
NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

Ended up with a lot of research to access the value for money quotient.

Highly recommend anyone considering solar to spend quality 10-15 hours researching and analysing facts before buying. I had quotes from 3,500-12,000 for the same configuration. Not claiming I got the best deal, but one should research to determine the right solution which is different to individual requirements. In my view there is no one size fit all.

Professional Company

Sunboost explains everything. Paid deposit. They gave us a date. Four tradesmen arrived (all local). They worked hard most of the day. Everything works perfectly. Highly recommended Show additional information

WARNING - Dodgy - False claims - No communication skills - slack followup - difficult to contact

Signed a quotation in Feb 2020, promised installation within a couple of weeks ......nothing happened.....had difficulty in contacting them, given COVID-19 has a excuse and shortage of staff.
Was promised another installation date...no one arrived...no phone call advising they were not coming...waited in all day.
Another installation date given, this time they turned up without all the material for the job....packed up and went home.
Numerous phone calls....none returned.
Bank notified to claim back deposit and sent emails requesting return of deposit.
Finally someone rang wanting to know why the bank is involved...explained the situation, a promise they will get it done ASAP.
Finally on the 25th May 2020 they arrived to do the installation. Before they started i explained what i wanted and also advised no roof penetrations .....they also installed the tilt brackets with the wrong foot profile to the roofing sheeting guess what i got...roof penetration, in addition they walked all over the roof sheeting causing considerable damage to the roof sheeting, they then advised they did not do the damage.
The situation currently is;
The entire roof sheeting will have to be removed and replaced, quoted price $14,000.00
The removal of the solar panels for the roof sheeting to be replaced and then the solar panels to be reinstalled, quoted price $5,000.00
The removal of a 4G wireless link and re-installation of same, quoted price $430.00
Nearly 2 months have passed and the roof has not been replaced. now when it rains water come in over the work area.
All quotations for the repair work have been given to Sunboost over 1 month ago.
Today, complaint application forms have been submitted to both the ACCC & the Department of Fair Trading for their attention.
We have now submitted a letter of demand requesting the repairs to be carried out within 21 days or we will be taking legal action for the repair costs and legal/court costs.

So dissatisfied

No after sale help with our problems need to talk with a technician so we just sit and wait so dissatisfied Show additional information

Very good start to finish. Great payment plan options available and easy finance too

Yes very good Exellent payment plan options. Everyone easy to deal with. Show additional information

Very polite professional service, always keeping me informed of the status of the installation. Install team very tidy informative and obliging. Commissioning assistance very professional. Show additional information

So let down

Signed up in Dec 2019 and was told installation mid January ...... I waited and couldn't get in contact with installation team and they just dumped me. Kept getting told in 2 more weeks, 2 more weeks. Promised discount for delays.....Then Covid hits in March and though they are still installing this delayed further. Comes May and date is scheduled for June. Arrive and they want a panel change as Asbestos there (this was done by local electrician at half price to what they quoted and not actually necessary as they wouldn't have needed to get in to panel). Also advised by installer that they cant fit as many panels on as designed / sold and capacity nearly halved........ Now been waiting over 4 weeks for my deposit refund.

Dec to July - no panels, no service and I still have full electricity bills.
not happy.

The constant updates on the whole process of paperwork, panel location, inverter location ,cable positioning etc, was excellent. The whole team were well led and professional in their work. I had a minor hiccup with a technical issue which was resolved with one phone call as well as an explanatory email. Show additional information

Installation not complete to be contented!

Sales process guaranteed fixed price, which was not the case.
Installation then requested $300.00 more for switchboard changes, which came down to $100.00 which was agreed too.
Then told extra payment not required by installer, so the $100.00 was not included.
Red Energy then came to connect and told us that due to workmanship completed it was not possible.
It is now coming up to towards six months since we booked with SunBoost with no connection to date.
We are now told we need to pay up front another $972.00??
Installation guys did their job well with what they had, left a bight of rubbish and broke a couple of roof tiles.

very happy

I had four quotes price range was $6.500. to $3.400.
The installation all good, tidy.

Very efficient

Quote was competitive for the string system, your preferred businesses only wanted to push the micro inverter systems, yes they are better, couldn’t justify the additional 10 - 12 K.
Installation quick, high quality workmanship

Solar installation

Answered all questions from sales person. Installers were from the local area efficient installation on day when they said they would install system Show additional information

Great install

Great price for a great system. Very helpful and knowledgeable salesman.
Install was done very professionally, in the timeframe promised.
Top customer supprt helped me set up the wireless monitoring system.
Very pleased and would recomment Sunboost to anyone.

I would not have chosen Sunboost, had it not been for installer. I found Sunboost to lacking communication and other services. Installer was very professional and did good job. Show additional information

Steer clear!!!

Paid my deposit and entered into a contract last December. Tried to cancel in March after little contact and no installation. After several requests for a refund of deposit, they persuaded me to go ahead, with a discount and promised installation within a fortnight. Due to complicated installation, they quoted an extra - fixed - $600, which I accepted. Three weeks later, with still no installation, they called seeking a further $1400. Of course, I refused and they have now cancelled the contract. Show additional information

The easy way to solar

Received four quotes all up which varied by nearly $2,000 from cheapest to most expensive. The quote was carried out by phone in less than half an hour including photos of meter box and account. All went very well.
The installation went smoothly, on time, neat work and a couple of nice guys.

The customer service was informative, received all paperwork on the day,now awaiting to have meter changed on the 5th may.
My only complaint is the time taken by different authorities to address their part of the process.

Misleading Contractors - Don't install anything above 5 KW Invertors.

I have no rebates and only generate 20% reduction in my bills after installing a 11 kW system.

They misled me and did not advise an economic installation. I regret the entire effort to go Solar. Even Synergy themselves are not good and take your generated energy and don't pay anything for it.

Fake promises

In response to their advertising campaign I contacted Sunboost for a quote on installation of Solar Panels. I was surprised that they were able to quote instantly without a site inspection. I accepted their quote and forwarded my deposit. When the day came for installation, the installer didn't turn up, but promised to attend after the weekend, again he did not turn up. A week or so later Sunboost booked another installer, unfortunately they didn't tell him that my business premises are only attended from 9am and the poor guy had to wait 1.5 hours for me to open, only to find that the number of panels suggested by Sunboost was not possible. So installation did not proceed. I expected my deposit to be refunded but that has not happened, the only way Sunboost will return my call is if I pretend to be a new customer and then they make fake promises about returning my money. I would give this company a big miss. Show additional information

Don't buy SunBoost!!!!

Don't count on Sunboost for warranty!
I informed Sunboost of a faulty system almost 6 weeks ago (current date 14 April 2020). One of the isolators has stopped working. Since contacting the company they have given me the run around. They simply have not been able to organise an electrician to inspect and replace the faulty part. A SunBoost employee even asked for the contact number of installers I might know so SunBoost could progress with the warranty! Such up-professional delays and fobbing off customers is unacceptable. I can not recommend Sunboost.
I actually wonder if SunBoost is 'going under' (financially)? I think I'll have to fill out the paperwork I have received from Consumer Affairs and VCAT as SunBoost seem unwilling to meet warranty obligations.

Worst Customer Service, Non-Delivery and Non-Compliant

We got in touch with Sunboost as we seen their promotional video on TV. They called me immediately and pushed their products and suggested to lock in the price as the deposit is refundable (DONT' BELIEVE THIS, it is refundable but with a lot of PAIN).

First they said we can easily fit a 6.6kw on our roof, and they would get in touch with me after they receive my documents. I promptly provide this to them and then things go downhill immediately.

First, they will never get in touch with you, and you're forced to chase them up on a weekly basis for updates. This went on for 8 weeks, EXCUSES, EXCUSES and more EXCUSES. They says they will call me as they are busy in meetings and they ghosts me after.

Then after 8 weeks I tell them I need a feasibility study to see if its actually possible to install panels and where are these panels go, they send me a google maps shot and tells me that no reputable company provides a feasibility study (I think he was referring to Sunboost, as ALL companies I dealt with had provided me with a feasibility study).

I later understood why they didn't want to provide me with a feasibility study was because there is no way to claim if your system does not provide the output in the future i.e. there is no claim on the system output

This should have been the first flag but I just chose to ignore it in my haste for a system ASAP. They says we will have an installer call you in 1 week. One week passes, two weeks passes nothing, couple of emails and a guarantee that an installer will call me the same day... nothing.

I told them if we can't have someone call me and advice of an installation date we should cancel by the end of the week. I get a call the same day. They call me to let me know that we can't install a 6.6kw system CONTRARY to their own layout plan but can install a 3 kw system. They also say we need to upgrade our meter box as an installer came by and said that the meter box is old (THIS IS A LIE, 1. we have cameras that notifies us if any one comes close to the box).

They say we should get one of our electrician friends to install a new meter box so it would be cheaper, and if we dont have any friends who are electricians, ITS VERY EASY TO UPGRADE A METER BOX AND I SHOULD DO IT MYSELF.... :-S. (WOW These guys are ******* criminals, and putting PEOPLES LIVES AT RISK)

In order to push my cancellation, I tell them no it's ok, we just don't have funds at the moment and we need to cancel. They say we will send the cancellation form to my email.... you guessed it, NO CANCELLATION FORM FOR 1 WEEK, I manage to get a cancellation form from their call centre. As they are busy, in a meeting, mother is sick, father is sick, children are sick, in the toilet etc... I submit the cancellation form, no refund for 14 days.

I put in a dispute claim with my credit card, and I presume a dispute went from my bank to their bank, cause I get refund directly from Sunboost a couple of days later.

I WOULD NEVER EVER RECOMMEND SUNBOOST TO ANYONE, I have been told they use the cheapest products and just imagine if you have a problem in the future, I can't get them to install, what would happened if the panels fail (which it will certainly will considering quality) An Average/Good solar panel plus inverter (Enphase or Solar edge, not the crap that Sunboost uses - "Solis" never heard of) for 6.6kw is around 6 - 7.5k. This is what you should expect to pay not 2.5-3k

Dodgy

Paid $300 deposit back in Sep 2019, didn't go ahead with the installation, as I could not get any response from them when installation was going to be. Email after Email, still no reply. Asked for my deposit back time and time again, they finally got back to me, telling me installation would be 6th Feb.

Emailed them probably 6 times and cancelled installation. Then mid March without warning they rock up at my house to install the system. Told the installer wasn't going ahead with it. He said oh no not another one.

Then he told me I was lucky that I didn't go ahead with it. He then told me they are dodgy to deal with and weren't even based in Australia..
Here it is April 5 and still no response and still no refund of my deposit.
People beware of this crowd....
WiFi Module Installed with a bent pin and had to fix it myself to get the WiFi Module to Work. Show additional information

Bad costomer service

Cant get my $200 deposit back, 6 call and emails later, its been 4 week, if this is what there service is like im glad i went with somone eles Show additional information

Pushed to get it doen but took ages to lodge details with supplier

A lot of pressure was placed on me to get the job and even though this went ok the problem I am now having to get the system up and running is ridiculous. The installer told ne he submitted the paperwork to the company but each time I contact them they say they are waiting on the installer. Hopeless. Paid for the system and now it cannot be used because of company incompetence. Show additional information

No complaints

After reading some awful reviews I was very hesitant to deal with this company. However, despite getting to the point of installation and then learning that my roof was not suitable, I found the customer service polite and friendly, the installer arrived as scheduled, and my deposit was returned promptly when the job couldn't go ahead. I was referred to Sunboost by my brother who is very happy with his system. Show additional information

Never Shown Up

System was ordered and deposit paid in August 2019.
Have lost track of the countless times installation has been booked nad then no one ever shows up.
Management in Western Australia "promised" to have it installed by end of February. It's now mid march.
Application to connect to the grid has expired twice.
Pathetic lies and excuses. Will be contacting ACCC if deposit not refunded in full due to no supply of service.

Un-rushed Pre purchase review of sales teams in general and why i think its like that + off track non popular battery type compatability from my beginners eye

on time, everything went to plan without any problems The installers knew what they were doing,

Arrived on scheduled time. made a lot of mess with paper and wrappings We had to pick up from all over driveway to prevent any more flying over to neighbours houses. Could not finish job as did not have all the wiring but came back later to complete. I was a bit concerned when management kept asking for full payment before completion I agreed to the final payment at completion of job but not before Show additional information

Such a horrible experience and still going

Feel cheated for having to issue minimum of 1 star. Ordered and paid for a system on 31st Dec, contact ceased since then. Installer finally booked date then doesn't show up with no reason or call to say not coming. After many phone discussions, they agree to refund my payment. Unfortunately we are now over a week since this was agreed and everytime I call to find out where the payment is, the phone just happens to be disconnected as they are transferring my call to that team. We are starting to be very concerned about the ethics of this company. Have lodged complaint with ACCC. Show additional information

Fantastic

We had the put 3 solar systems up in our family.
Nothing was to much trouble for them.
We had the ones from Salisbury.
They came back and help set up the wifi for us.

Not installed yet

Not installed yet dealt with nathan from sunboost he was very efficient he said it wold take 10 weeks to install Show additional information

Installation completed as per schedule and as promised

Very good in all aspects. Constantly updated on progress and finished on time. Show additional information

Do not go here

Whatever you do - do not go near Sunboost I repeat do not go near Sunboost. Show additional information

Shockingly Poor Customer Service

I applied and provided all the documentation on 19 December 2019 for the energy provider's approval after which I was told Sunboost will arrange installation. In the interim, I referred a friend and he then advised me that on 05 February 2020 he was contacted for installation after he applied two weeks earlier. I then enquired about the status of my approval only to be told it was approved on 21 December 2019 and the reason provided for not contacting me was that the bushfires caused delays. When I explained to the salesman that that was a lie and my friend who I referred to Sunboost got this done in two weeks, he started backtracking on this. Using an Australian tragedy to cover up poor service is inexcusable.

Long story short, the installation was done 8 days later and now I am told I can not use the solar system due to having the incorrect electricity meter which will take a further two weeks or so to have installed. At no time was this little fact mentioned. However, the customer service guy insists that I will still receive the benefit of the solar system from date of installation even though its turned off but he is not sure how this works - what a joke. I now lose approximately 60% of a quarter where I could have been using solar power.

Sadly, I can not recommend Sunboost and would suggest anyone avoid them due to the shockingly poor customer service and lies (and omissions) about why the service is so poor.
I am very pleased with the system that I purchased. I wanted to purchase locally (3 quotes supplied by Solarquotes) but the prices were $2500 to $4000 dearer. I live 5 hours drive from a major town. Sunboost, supplied, delivered and installed for the agreed price. 12 months since the installation and have not had any problems. Show additional information

Stay away

Signed up with these guys in October 2019 , told that installation would be 14 day wait , nope no system yet and the guy on the other end of my emails has lots of reasons but keeps telling the installation team will be in touch shortly. It’s now 5 Feb 2020
What a joke I think fair trading will be getting a call from me very soon

Disappointing - stay away

I obtained a quote just before Christmas and paid a deposit. Sent the consultant the required information and heard nothing back. No contact for 5 weeks till I contacted them. Promised a call/email. Again nothing for 5 days when I received an invoice with my deposit refunded with no explanation. Show additional information

trusted company

This company did not apply any high pressure tactics and offered a good system at a great price Show additional information

Great service, turn around and price.

Recently had a 10kw system installed (chose to upgrade from std equipment to Seraphim panels & Solax inverters) for $7200 after rebate. Good communicating through out the process. Reasonably quick turn around considering the time of year and rebates being reduced (approx 2 months from signing contract to having the system on my roof). No issues at all in my experience. Show additional information

Beware of this company - con artists

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by the fact the cricket legend Allan Border fronts their marketing. We saw their advertising and almost go sucked in by their pressure sales tactics. Paid a $300 deposit for a double storey solar installation in Perth, Western Australia, with a ten day cooling off period. Got spooked by the bad reviews which came to light with a bit of research and the appalling English of our sales agent who purported to be in Sydney. We were also quoted on a 6.6kw panels and then the contract came through it stated we were only getting 5kw panels. So we decided not to proceed and asked for our deposit to be refunded. Radio silence which was odd after all the friendly and effusive banter during the sign up process. Resorted to demanding deposit back in writing three times and then got sent a form which said please sign on the understanding that to process a refund the company will deduct a $220 administration fee and the refund would take four weeks. What an absolute joke. Threatened legal action and that we would contact Allan Border's management agency to let them know what sort of business he is actually endorsing. This company needs to be examined carefully as all is not as it seems. Avoid at all costs. Show additional information