Sunboost

Sunboost Reviews

SunBoost is a large solar retailer that operates across Australia.

Reviewers report paying: $2,900 - $8,000 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

Sunboost Reviews (241)

3.6/5

3.5/5

3.5/5

3.2/5

Sunboost highly recommended in Tasmania

I have done a lot (and I mean A LOT) of research into solar panels, inverters etc. for my home in Tasmania. I contacted 3 local companies one highly recommended to me, as well as contacting Sunboost. All companies came and had a look at my property and Sunboost did it over a satellite photo. Two of the Tasmanian companies supplied me with the best options available for my situation - microinverters, (I live in the bush and am surrounded by trees) and prices were between $11,516.00 and $13,750.00 and the other was a bit lower but they never returned my call after the inspection. Sunboost could offer me the same system as the more expensive quotes for $6,700.00 so, I decided to go with them. I paid a $300.00 deposit (this is fully refundable and I know this because I did change my mind once before and got the full refund - no questions asked!). Sunboost then sent a brilliant CEC Accredited Electrician/Engineer around to check out the house and talk to us about best places for the panels to be placed, Jonathon was very thorough, helpful and offered great suggestions. Jonathon also installed a hot water timer for us (at no extra cost) whilst he was here and we started to notice savings from this straight away - recommend everyone to get one of these and to change to tariff 93 with Aurora, although they wouldn't like you to know that! I then signed up to their finance company Brighte (very easy and quick and was approved that night) and at just $126.00 a fortnight over 2 years it is already paying for itself - they do charge a $3.00 monthly account keeping fee which works out at $156.00 over the two years. Mark from Sunboost is the utmost professional, he returns all calls and emails straight away (I had a lot of questions!) in a friendly and extremely helpful manner. I could not recommend Sunboost more, Mark is outstanding and if you can ask for him I would highly recommend him!
I have 20 x Trina HoneyM Half Cut Cells with microinverters and a Fronius Primo 6kW inverter.
I had a couple of issues with the Fronius app and Mark was able to sort this out for me as well.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND SUNBOOST, MARK AND JONATHON AND THEIR TEAMS!!!

****house company get there money and **** you around

Did nothing to help, do not trust them in what they say, had my solar fitted in 2018 they had not sent right paperwork to power company so no feedback no system working till 2021 March had to get my own electrician to rectify their problems they nearly burnt my house down, give me no extension on warranty, no replace of the money for my electrician to fix problem and get system up and running no reimbursements would not go with this company at all ever.

Has system been designed correctly

Purchased a 7.4kw system in July. Has 2 Solis 4 inverters. I now realise inverters are only 3kw (despite being called 4 ) each with combined output of 6kw. I don't understand why inverters weren't sized to suit the output of the panels. I called the helpline but answer didn't match question.

One of the inverters showed the status of "LimByVg" I think it means system not operating because grid voltage too high. , the other normal status "Generating" Is this telling me there is a setup problem ?

Can anyone help me resolve?

Original Review on 20-12-2020:

Good System, inflexible with any changes to the standard cookie cutter solution

Simple 13.3kw system
Great price
Team showed up on time
Professional installation team, spent time talking through where they were installing.
They cleaned up ALL of there means when they finished (very impressed)
Polite and courteous
Sales process was very pushy, constant follow up by the rep daily.

8 months later we asked Dennis: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

The one thing I appreciate now with a larger system is I'm now in credit. Just this month I banked $80.... My previous bills were about $250 per month of cost for reference

Worst company ever ...

Sunboost was great in communicating before the installation .. talk daily .. after woods ... just ****... same answer on emails and missed calls when I tell them working hour .. system shuts down 20 times a minute ... doesn’t charge the battery ... 30 phone calls 30 emails and they ask me if it’s switched on ... you guys installed it ... did you turn it on ... send some one to look at it ... I’m so unhappy with service ... just ... come bloody check it can ya ... send Allan Border out at least ... I’ve paid ... come bloody look ... or is there no warranty....cheers and thanks.
Very poor performance and backup service from the company I bought the system from is worst experience.
Very hard to deal with.

Sunboost, I feel ripped off

I had a 6.6kw system 24 panels installed by sunboost in 2020, it performs poorly, I have just found out they used very old panels 275watt, when they should have used at least 350watt , the installers damaged a lot of tiles and left their rubbish from their lunch on my front yard.

Original Review on 16-11-2020:

The price was a big motivator for me even though the system and the panel rating was ok not at the too but not at the bottom either.

Not completed as yet but I am in constant contact with them... Just waiting on them to be in my area.
Customer service over all was not pushy and answered all of my question.
6.6 solar for 3600 in my area is great value.

8 months later we asked Paul: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

I save about $100 a quarter plus my own usage.
I have A new 6.6 of solar panels plus 3 of my old system so about 10kw.

It's pretty good so far

I call to enquire about getting solar and they where really helpful and explained everything in simple terms (I don't know anything about it) and they did me a pretty decent deal, so I went with it

The process of the whole thing was pretty good and simple, and they did the installation with in about 4 weeks which I thought was pretty good (I live in country SA)

The system got installed 2 days ago and we are just waiting for the power company to do there thing, and after that we should be good to go and start saving $ money

Perfect for me

Installed in Feb 2021. On time and done quickly. Installers did leave some rubbish. Had issue with circuit breaker tripping. Customer service was excellent and got installer back to fix issue and installed a smart meter. Organised new Net meter with SAPN and have been excellent with any query through email and phone calls. Yes, customer service is in India but they have been excellent. Only in July and I'm already $2600 in credit with my power retailer. I had 9.9kw system installed.

Original Review on 08-11-2020:

great installers

turned up on time worked in the rain to finish .great company Original ratings

8 months later we asked Phillip: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

yes performs well

$18,000.00 wasted for over six months now

$18,000.00 has been paid already for this system
Unable to contact salesman, Installation Manager or his assistant or customer service
Customer service is just passing from one person to another
Unable to contact installer
Roof leaking and ceiling collapsed
Appointments missed with no call backs
System still not connected after several months
Pieces not fixed and left laying on roof for months
I have attended the state office that doesn't exist in SA
I have now contacted Consumer Affairs
At present there is someone from a call centre in India is saying they will sort it out
STAY AWAY from them, pay a little extra and get a better result locally

No fuss installation

Requested & reviewed six quotes. With the information provided by SolarQuotes I compared each quote & decided to accept Solarboost based on price for comparable panels & inverter.

Nothing

I do not have any comments to make at this time thanks.

Over the top.

The salesperson was incessant with their phone calls, and emails wanting the Quote (Contract) signed. Of course as a diligent consumer we were taking our time, and getting other quotes. The most significant thing to note was that the Quote (Contract) terms changed from the original sent to more specific wording, e.g. that callouts for repairs or inspection was to be at our expense.

Please also note that the pricing on the Quote (Contract) is not firm, and that the subcontractor installer is able to add his own costs.

Be very wary and read the small print.

Installed but no idea of what is happening

I do not recommend Sunboost to anyone. For others like myself that have little to no experience with solar, I would strongly advise you to avoid Sunboost and visit an in store solar company instead.

My family and I may have it all connected, however, we have so many questions and issues that are not able to be answered through Sunboost.

The lack of information is ridiculous.

The STC Financial Initiative document does not explain how to access it, what to do in order to access it or who to contact in order to begin accessing it. The document we were provided with is pointless.
Upon having our smart meter installed we were left with no information package at all. We have no idea how it works or what any of the codes mean.

Once everything was installed, we attempted to create and access our account which supposedly tells you about the energy you use, the energy you created and how much is being transferred back to the grid. However in doing so, we discovered this could not be done due to being given the incorrect MNI number (needed to be 11 digits, we were given 10).

With so many questions, we can't even call Sunboost due to the lack of communication with call centre staff. We find ourselves having to repeat our questions and get the receiver to re-explain what they said multiple times because we are unable to understand what was said due to the receiver having strong accents. Talking to the call centre is almost impossible.

Middle quality hardware cheap price

Sunboost supplied middle quality hardware at less then half the total of some other quotes

Failed to see what spending an extra 5k achieved at this point
Time will tell……..!

Avoid

I wish I had never heard of this company, have been rescheduled for installation now that many times i'm done with them, who rings up last minute to cancel oh wait Sunboost do.

I'm talking hours before once again it was supposed to be installed if their product is anything like the customer service lies god help us, anyone else reading this please keep searching for another solar company this mob will only give you heartbreak.

Original Review on 18-09-2020:

Great service, Did what they said they would do and when they would do it. Not much info on how to lead app and connect to system.

Fairly painless process. Everything went well. Would have loved more info/direction on connecting the app and getting info from it. They arranged grid connection after install. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Mark: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

The system has worked well and has cut out power bills by at least 60%. My only problem now is that trees have grown and are shading the panels in late afternoon.

Fair and acceptable performance

Straight forward process from start to finish. Simple contract. Stayed in touch throughout. First installation attempt failed due to non dellvery of components to site. Second attempt successful. Installation was estimated at two days, however many more technicians arrived and completed the installation same day - while the weather was excellent.
Started generating the same day. They arranged all connection with the energy company who installed the new smart meter on time and seemless transition from old to new.

A subsequent installation issue was resolved immediately.

We would recommend using this company.
The key is for the consumer to check and scrutinize all submitted paperwork / technician qualifications thoroughly and to fully understand and hold them to committed delivery times - in writing by email

Terrible!!!!

Installation keeps being put off for a month. Still no installation. 2 No shows without notice. Missed 2 days work.

Installer

The quote was about what I expected.
The installers arrived on time and completed the job over two days, due to high winds on day one.
Could not fault the installers.
Received three phone calls from Sunboost to ensure I was happy. They helped in getting the grid connection under way. We received details from our energy supplier as to what happens next.
All good.
We are an older couple in our mid 60’s and have lived in our home for 20 years and NEVER had an issue with a leak from our roof WHATSOEVER in all those years.

We spent $3500 having the roof improved prior to the installation.
The system was installed on 15/10/2020 and THE VERY NEXT RAIN EVENT that occurred on 30/10 our ceilings leaked like a siv!

Upon inspection by an installer, it was found that Sunboost had used the WRONG CLIPS to attach the panels to our roof! Over 6 months later and Sunboost have still done NOTHING to repair our roof. Currently we still have a tarp covering the panels which of course are non productive. We paid $9000 to Sunboost for this extremely shocking customer service experience.
BEWARE!

Fantastic installer

The sales team was good. The installers were great. I had to remind the team to send paperwork to energy retailer and after that, it was sent. I am still waiting for the grid connection though. I bought a Fronius inverter and so far, Sunboost hasn’t been able to set up the WiFi system for that.

Sunboost, poor installation.

Delayed installation. 3 months after taking deposit. Poor installation process with no design for layout. Over a month of investigation with myself doing all the leg work. Discovered that austgrid supply was 262 volts and inverters would shutdown as a safe guard. Many hours of the phone to Huawei support in Romania. New parameters were set to safe guard system. AGL plan was no good almost tripled the usage rate from 21c to 56c... have since changed to red energy with competitive usage rate and export tarriff. Still not sure about the savings made via solar. It will probably take 3 yrs to recoup the expense of the installation.

Good installation

I only used another company based on the fact that my sister was supplied by Sunbboost 1 year before and she was very happy.

Great price, poor service, good installation and quality product that's working well.

System cost was around $1,500 less than best of all quotes. Mostly poor service, good installers and quality product.

Avoid

This company sends unqualified installers out, who cause endless damage to your property, use second hand parts and modify parts that don’t fit causing huge fire risk.

This company installed a system at my house so poorly, that it did not meet standards, caused over $6000 worth of damage to my house, used modified plugs that were a fire risk and in the end the whole system had to be removed and reinstated correctly.

To date I have still not been compensated (system installed in January).
I have had over 100+ telephone calls with this company, in which their staff are rude, arrogant, talk over the top of you, promise to call back and never do, laugh at me when I am telling them about the damage and outright refuse to help.

I had water pouring through lights and they refused to call their insurance company and told me I had to wait days for their unqualified installer to return and “look” (not repair) any damage.
I ended up organising all repairs myself due to their incompetence.

Their call centre is clearly overseas and staff are not at all trained in customer service at all.

I took days off work for installers to show up 8+ hours late or not at all!

I have no idea how this company is still in business!

BEWARE!! Do not use, go elsewhere!

Company will be reported for their workmanship and conduct.

Original Review on 07-07-2020:

The constant updates on the whole process of paperwork, panel location, inverter location ,cable positioning etc, was excellent. The whole team were well led and professional in their work. I had a minor hiccup with a technical issue which was resolved with one phone call as well as an explanatory email. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Rod : "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

The Sunboost App gives me hourly, daily, monthly and yearly updates on the performance of the system which concur with my providers bill. Any contact I’ve had with Sunboost to explain their App, has been more than helpful.

Satisfied for the price

I was referred to Sunboost by a friend. The price being much less than I expected I was keen to join the solar club and start saving on my energy bills. The system I was offered consisted of 2 Solis 5kW inverters with Wifi monitoring and 36 Trina 370W panels providing 13.3kW.
When I asked why the mismatch between inverters (10kW) and panels (13.3kW) they didn't really explain it properly. Nor could they explain why the energy retailer would only approve 5kW export when their website says up to 10kW. I eventually got simple answers independently but feel that Sunboost should have been able to explain these matters properly.
However the price was very good. Installation was one week ago and I am satisfied with the standard of the work. The panels are securely attached to my metal roof, cabling is neat, well tied and entry points to the roof well sealed using rubber boots and silicone. Inverter installation too is very neat and professional and the system appears to be performing nicely producing 82kWh on the best days so far.
I joined some FB solar groups and was a bit dismayed to read some very negative comments about not only Sunboost but the brand of inverter and panels. I can understand that being a low cost, high volume outfit that quotes without site inspection and subs the work out to contractors, there can be problems.In my case however it was a straightforward installation all on one north-facing roof plane and I had no issues with the contractors or the standard of work. Maybe I was just lucky, or the contractors in my area are better than elsewhere.. who knows?
In regard to Solis, as much as the snobs on the FB forums seem to hate them, they are still listed as a tier 1 on this very website, and while certainly there are more premium brands on the market we don't all drive Mercedes and BMW do we? The things didn't burst into flames on power-up as comments would have one believe, and until they let me down I am perfectly happy with them, and the same goes for the Trina panels. For $7200 I have a 13.3kW DC / 10kW AC system that is doing everything it's supposed to vs a better system I wouldn't have been able to afford.
So would I recommend Sunboost? Based on price and MY personal experience, yes.

Original Review on 28-06-2020:

Very efficient

Quote was competitive for the string system, your preferred businesses only wanted to push the micro inverter systems, yes they are better, couldn’t justify the additional 10 - 12 K.
Installation quick, high quality workmanship

8 months later we asked Anthony: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

At this point in time, the system has exceeded my expectations, should have done it years ago

Good value for money, very good subcontractor for installation

Installed August 2020.
Sales and quoting was all quick and easy.
Subcontractors for the install were prompt and efficient and very tidy. They picked up a wiring problem in the roof and advised me so I could get it attended to before any problems arose.

Six month in now and I am getting good efficiency and have had no problems with the equipment or installation.

So far very happy with my purchase that was much better value for money than the one on a previous home

Good to deal, with good communication, turned up on time

Good beat other quoted prices for similar systems
Installation was punctual and did a neat job

Great all round

I received a really good deal and all the information I needed to make an informed decision. I was keep up to date with the proceedings.
The installation was most professional. No inconveniences or disruptions to me and I was kept informed as the installation proceeded and the installers were most courteous with their dealings with me.
Could not be happier with the whole process.

Good Deal

Really good deal on Qcell panels with fronius. Cheaper than other quotes.

Original Review on 27-05-2020:

Great install

Great price for a great system. Very helpful and knowledgeable salesman.
Install was done very professionally, in the timeframe promised.
Top customer supprt helped me set up the wireless monitoring system.
Very pleased and would recomment Sunboost to anyone.

8 months later we asked Robert: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Has put us in credit with the electricity company, what more do you want. Money saved will pay the gas bill! Result.

Good service. Happy with everything.

Quoting and sales were great.
The installation was great, no problems

They were polite and tidy, didn’t leave a mess and came on time. Very punctual.

Customer service was great. They organised the grid connections. No problem so far with the system.

Great installers. Great communication. Great deal.

Ive upgraded my system twice and git charged only for one upgrade. Ive been the most demanding customer and yhey patiently dealt with me and my very specific requests and questions. After sales customer service were tops. The sub contractors they used were fantastic and professional explaing all my silly questions to a T. Would recommend all parties involved.

Good product and easy install. They used a local company to install and they were fantastic.

Easy install as I needed a lot of help and advice. Happy with the end product.

Cutting corners on installation

Cables ran through the rib of roof line not to building code lucky no one got killed now i have to pay get fixed for they're incorrect and crap install. How does that work? Lucky i'm not dead.

Just a professional installer with reasonable prices.

Via the phone and confirmed via email.
No mess
Tes a bit helpful

Great Solar System for the money

Installed a 6.6kw 20 x 330w Astronergy panels and Solis 3 phase inverter in April 2020 and has been working flawlessly since. I'm in Sydney and now in Summer seeing upto 46kw on a mid 30 degree day.

I paid an extra $200 to get a 10 year warranty on the inverter. Neighbour paid nearly twice as much with exact same panels and size but with a European inverter and is getting the same power generated as my Sunboost system.

Would certainly recommend Sunboost.

Satisfied now waiting for electricity bill !!!

Sales quoting was ok once the right requirements/information was confirmed
Installation went well did take most of the day
They were polite tidy etc although I was a bit concerned I wanted my inverter in garage but unfortunately couldn't do it due to double storey slab so it got installed on the side wall on the outside of the home
Yes they did organise the grid connection
I was a bit nervous about the deal as it was much cheaper than the other quotes and I didn't know who was going to installed it (if it was a registered technician)
But my hubby assured me all was doubled checked by him and so finally I gave in lol

Don’t do it

The stress this company has put me through. They ruined our roof. Got a new roof. Did everything to ensure the panels did not compromise the new roof. Screws through the ceiling. Now there’s been 3 fires in a very small town from solar panels. Don’t bother.
Bought 6.6kw Solar system with Solis 5kw inverter. during October it was generating 30 to 35kw on a normal day and 10kw on a rainy day. Experience with Sunboost is excellent. Sunboost pre-sales, technical and care team are 2nd to none.

Proactive Sales Person and Great Installation

Sunboost were very proactive in providing information during the sales process as well as following up on me making a decision.
The guys from the installation company Darren Hall Electrical were punctual, friendly, knowledgeable, efficient and very tidy. Everything including the web based monitoring application worked perfectly when they left.

Power House

The company were very professional quick with my answers and completed the job to a very high standard