RACV Solar

RACV Solar Reviews

RACV had been involved in solar installation in Victoria since 2017 and its activities were accelerated with the acquisition of Gippsland Solar in 2019, which was founded in 2010.

Founder of Gippsland Solar Andy McCarthy stayed on after the acquisition as CEO and Director of RACV Solar.

RACV Solar has continued with installer acquisitions since - Ocean Grove's Great Ocean Solar & Electrical in 2021, Pacific Solar's Merimbula, NSW operations in March 2022 and Bendigo's Cola Solar in April 2022.

The Pacific Solar acquisition enables RACV to extend its services across the Victorian border to the New South Wales South Coast; including Bega and the Sapphire Coast region.

With all these companies now in its stable, RACV Solar can lay claim to 10,000 solar installations in Victoria.

RACV has locations in Melbourne, Dandenong, Traralgon, Bairnsdale, Geelong, Bendigo and Merimbula.

Battery brands previously installed

The views expressed by reviewers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of Peacock Media Group, which makes no representations as to the accuracy of the reviews. For our full disclaimer and further information, see our Terms of Use and our Review Guidelines.

RACV Solar Reviews (57)

4.4/5

Fantastic products & install, a bit pricey..

Ended up going with RACV Solar after struggling to get providers to quote due to our 36 degree roof slope. The one provider from Solarquotes who quoted (for a smaller Solaredge/JA Solar system) bumped the a quote up by almost 4k after the technical inspection, so in the end decided to go with the Micro-inverters, premium panels, and slightly larger 6.4kW system that RACV offered.

End to end process was really good, from sales to technical inspection, to the install which stretched over 2 days due to the roof complexities (3 angles, part shade). Lead installer knew his stuff and ran a tight ship and the system looks great.

Inspection took a couple of weeks which was per their docs and no major issues that side of things. Energy provider took a bit longer and switched me to a really poor Time of Use plan (although FIT @ 8c), so I switched to another provider with a better deal on daily charge and consumption.

System has now been feeding the grid for almost 2 months, so looking forward to the end of winter and the daily production exceeding consumption and getting a little bit more FIT.

The installer was great, can't fault him.

All aspects of our solar installation process was without issues. Quotes and queries were received promptly. The installation was done well under the lead time quoted. Our installer was fantastic. The communication has been very clear and prompt.

Fantastic System and Service

We purchased a system from RACV Solar in March 2022 to replace an existing system. We spoke with multiiple installers but RACV Solar spent the time in explaining the different systems and options especially around micro-inverters. We had only a small window to complete the installation and RACV solar worked in with our requirements. In addition, we were extremely happy within the quality of the installation as we had just replaced the roof.

We have also used RACV Solare for other electrical work.

Really highly recoomend RACV Solar...

Lemons, lemons, lemons

Quoting and sales was as per usual...sell something they cant deliver on...installation was a bit ordinary as well...lol replacing machined screws they lost with self tapping crews....quality plus
At least they were up front on the costs
Grid connection was organisef but not permitted to export and still import 75% of my power...lol

RACV (Gippsland Solar) Sunpower Maxeons w Enphase MicroInverters - 15 year warranty. Also no FiT from PowerCor/CityPower for new installs?

I took the SolarQuotes information on longetivity & reliability being important, and noted that the inverters are the components that often take wear and fail first.

Thus I chose Enphase MicroInverters (which are nicely installed UNDER the Sunpower Maxeons) and I chose RACV (who own Gippsland Solar) as they are a PLATINUM Enphase partner and thus offered 15 year warranties. So company longetivity plus longest warranty were key factors for me (over price). 18xSunPower Maxeon3 400W & EnPhase IQ7X MicroInverters, Enphase Envoy Switch, RACV monitoring.

Happy with the outcome and although there were other quality vendors via SolarQuotes that were also less expensive, RACV + Enphase 15yr was key for me.

fyi for Melbourne inner east, PowerCor/CityPower don't seem to be giving ANY Feed-In tariffs any more for new installations

Professional approach

Absolutely delighted with the way the RACV walked me through the process From the quote stage to the installation and the necessary final paperwork it was all handled professionally by the solar team
A special mention to Sue for her excellent follow up

Efficient Professional and Tidy

We were very impressed in all dealings with this company.There was no stuffing around . From the initial site inspection to the actual installation they came on the days and times that they said they would. The job was completed with the minimum of fuss and the installers were polite and professional.

Apart from having to apply for the Victorian Solar Grant myself, the company handled everything else and were extremely helpful during the whole process.

I have no hesitation in recommending this company.

your total solar solution business

The whole process from initial visit to reaping the benefits was easy and painless. The quote was accurate and fair the installation was a tricky one as the solar system was placed on the shed roof approx. 60metres from the house. The system was working so well we could not use all the power it was producing and that's saying something with 2 girls in the house. The solution was to add a Tesla 2 power wall Battery and collect some of the power. Now we have power all night and all day, even in the winter. The system is so good apparently we lost power here for 7.6 hours and we didn't even notice.

Excellent service

Installation was outstanding. Paul and his work mates were thorough, most obliging and helpful in every way. The system was explained carefully and they made every endeavour to satisfy our needs. I would highly recommend them to others.
Re value for money, I find this hard to rate as I had only one other quote which was very similar
We had some challenges with the installation regarding panel availability, configuration and installation date. The initial installation was done by sub-contractors and when Gippsland Solar were made aware that we were not happy with the outcome they came back and re-installed the panels to our satisfaction. The admin staff were friendly and helpful throughout the process. While it took a while to get to the desired outcome, we would recommend Gippsland Solar for genuinely ensuring customer satisfaction.
We went with Gippsland solar as they don't use sub contractors, the salesperson told us that they perform a professional install with their own staff allowing them to control standard of installation. Issues arose when they could not supply initial spec of panel, and smaller watt panel was supplied with a reduction in invoice price. Next on install day staff arrived but were sub contractors on roof without harnesses. On raising the issue with Gippsland Solar they said that they have been using this sub contractor for over 9 months and they recommend the persons work. They then got the subcontractor to stop and reorganised another date with their own staff, a reduction in price was given due to time taken off work to get install completed again on another day.. On return the next week the staff then installed the system, on checking the result we found they installed 5 panels in the wrong space compared to the install diagram resulting in the panels being shaded in the morning from the ridge of the house (why they were to be located elsewhere at time of quote) they apologised and said the office will deal with the complaint. On request we asked for the work to be completed that day. We settled for the panels to be set up the operate differently in the same location and a reduction in price was offered as compensation for loss of panel efficiency. On completion we noticed that no protection had been used on gutters and they were stripped back to raw metal from dragging the rails up them when lifting to roof. Again more price taken off. In the end the price for the system was compatible with that out of the paper and the experience i had was what the salesperson said would happen if you use a cheaper supplier. All in all the system is up and working and the electrical inspector has given it the green light and over $2000 taken off the bill but i wonder if it would have just been easier to go with another supplier and not be deceived the whole way along and be constantly negotiating reductions in price due to promises on install not being meet. This company may be now growing to quick to keep up with its quality it used to pride itself on.
I found Gippy Solar through ads in the local Hill End Herald & subsequent research of their website. Great local firm with competitive pricing, quality components & good installers. The Sunpower/Fronius system installed end Jan 2019 is working well here in Willow Grove and the ability to monitor its output is comforting. An excellent result all round.
Not the best experience for us. Gippsland Solar promised to carry out all aspects of the installation themselves which was a big factor in us choosing them but on the day of the install subcontractors turned up to carry out the work. Subsequently they managed to leave hundreds of small dents in our colourbond as they were jumping from the roof onto the verandah. Gippsland Solar did admit liability and reduced our bill so credit to them. System cost was at the high end of the scale for a Fronius inverter and Opal panels but was happy to pay hoping for a fault less install. Overall if we had to do it again we would use a different company. The employees at Gippsland solar were very understanding and knowledgeable cant fault them there. They should just deliver what they promise and use their own installers.
I just want to say how happy I am with the system Gippsland Solar installed for me in July.

I have just received my first bill from my retailer (Red Energy) and I am in credit!

It's great to know that the by choosing the biggest system, along with a battery, that I will probably never have to pay for an electricity bill ever again!

And with the state governements and the federal government stating they will be coming down hard on electricity companies for charging incredibly high rates, hopefully the feed in tarrifs will also improve in the near future too.

Gippsland Solar were outstanding from start to finish and I could not have asked for a better result!

I highly recommend if you are considering installing solar panels and/or a battery as well that you give Gippsland Solar a call!
I chose Gippsland Solar because they are a local company, have done a lot of work in the region and are well reviewed. I thought they did a great job in a timely fashion.
The service was very personal. You can be confused with technical issues & Andrew was able to give us all the help we needed. Also, with so many people now trying to get in on the act with solar installations, it was great to know we are working with people who know their stuff and can be trusted. It also works in VERY well with Mirboo North's Energy Hub.
Although one can always find a cheaper price for anything, quality, service, punctuality and professionalism are probably a lot more important. My experience with the Gippsland Solar team has been fantastic and can truly recommend them.
Gippsland Solar were a very professional company to deal with. Andy came to the house to discuss options, sent through a quote within 48 hours and answered all questions in a timely manner. Charlie who installed the system was very efficient and professional and gave a thorough run through of how to read the inverter at the end of his visit. I was so pleased with Gippsland Solar that I chose the same company to install a 3kw system and solar hot water unit at my daughter's house.
We found Andrew and his team to be very friendly, approachable, helpful and professional in all our dealings with them. They were extremely efficient and what a clean job. We did a lot of research before purchasing a solar system and with Andy we got good value for money, with both quality and price. Would highly recommend Gippsland Solar. Well done Andy, look after those fingers mate.
The Gippsland Solar team was great, very professional and had the installation completed within one day.
We received our first Electricity bill recently after the solar install, meter switch over and agreement with Origin Energy. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the last quarter of 2013, was totally paid for, the meter switch over fee ($165) was paid for and also, $185 credit on my bill to top it off !
This was not even a full quarter with the system in operation.
So in summary, really happy with Installation, operation and feed-in from the system.

Andy really knows his stuff, I walked in to his shop just to talk about the possibility of getting solar panels, and what is available. Within ten minutes he met me at my house to assess the available space on the roof and to get a better idea of what we required. I had a quote emailed to me the next day. As for the installation team, they were excellent as well. It was a very hot (40+) day and the team worked all day to get the job done on time. They were courteous and polite, one even asked if we would like our pet rabbits cage moved into the shade! Most of all, they did an excellent job installing the panels. I would recommend Gippsland Solar to anybody who asks. Andy seems to have a real passion for solar and it shows in the knowledge he has and in the tradies he uses.
If your looking for a salesperson and company that's straight up, honest and returns your calls then give Gippsland solar a ring. The solar system we ordered was supplied promptly and installed with great detail to quality of fitment. Would I recommend this company, certainly would. thanks again Andrew and the crew from Gippsland solar.
I can highly recommend Andrew and his team. The customer service was excellent and I felt they had my best interests at heart during the whole process. The system is now generating power to cover my needs at this time, however I have the ability to add more panels when I decide to add an air conditioner upstairs! Please talk to Andrew and get him out to your place - you will be very pleased you did!
Professional, Caring and Respectful. Great service and communication from start to finish.
It has been a long time since we have experienced such prompt, polite and informative service. From our first contact with the company, we have received excellent service and have appreciated the promptness with which our system was installed. Also thought the installers were polite, respectful and did a great job cleaning up afterwards. Andrew's follow up call to make sure all was done to our satisfaction was appreciated. Really kept in touch and no phone calls from us necessary. Friends had told us of their satisfaction with this company but it exceeded our expectations greatly.
We purchased a solar hot water unit from Gippsland Solar and when we moved was so impressed that we purchased another one form our current home. Andrew gives value for money, service out of this world and quality products. Highly recommend Gippsland Solar
Received 3 quotes for my system.

Although not the cheapest, Gippsland Solar were so far above the other 2 companies in presentation, knowledge (both spoken & supplied) and all round customer service, I felt that as
far as total value for money, they could not be beaten.
Salesperson & installers were all very professional & efficient. I have been happy with all aspects of the purchase & installation process. I would highly recommend Gippsland Solar to anyone.
Sensational "good old fashioned service"! I can highly recommend Andrew and the team. I shopped around and couldn't be happier with my decision. The system was high quality and the installation was great. All the care was taken and not one of my old brittle tiles was cracked (thanks Rick)! Time was taken to answer all of my questions and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Gippsland Solar.
Extremely professional service from the very first contact with Gippsland Solar. We tracked our extreme power bills down to our electric hot water heater and something needed to be done. Andrew provided me with detailed descriptions of the options and answered all my many questions (and seemed to really enjoy answering them too). I double check everything and he was spot on with all his info. Made making the choice for our hot water service simple. Installation was a simple and quick process. We had a couple teething problems with the system that were rectified quickly and easily. If you have any issue you can call Andrew and he sorts it out fast. We also took the opportunity to install a 4.56kw PV system which was supplied and installed at a great price. Again this was a quality and clean install with no issues at all. Our new meter was hooked up about a month after the install and with a flick of the switch we were generating. I recommend Gippsland Solar very highly.If you want to do business with one of the good guys out there, call Andrew.
The whole exercise was pain free, professional and prompt. Would recommend Gippsland Solar to everyone.
I initially was signed up with another company for solar panels and to cut a long story short it turned out to be a scam. Following this after researching a few companies I was not sure of which way to go until I heard about Gippsland Solar. From the first phone call with the info I was given from them, I knew I found the right people to deal with and their products were top quality. I recommend Gippsland Solar
Soooooooooo happy with Gippsland Solar's service. From day dot they were so professional, was prompt to reply to emails and even though our electricity company stuffed us around, Gippsland Solar went out of their way to help us out after installation!!! I cannot highly recommend them enough. Thank you Andrew and team!
Andy was great to deal with and did not abandon us when the job was done, like our last expererience.
Andrew and his team are the most profesional team i have come across. We asked Andrew for a quote which he emailed by days end. With in 2 weeks of accepting his quote our hot water and power system were installed. Hot water was installed and operational in 1 day.but power company took another 2 weeks to connect our system, it was connected today. Thank you ANDREW.
Gippsland Solar is fantastic to deal with and provide superior customer service. Nothing was too hard and was always willing to discuss the progress of the project. Overall a exceptional experience. I would highly recommend Gippsland Solar.
After much research we chose Gippsland Solar to install a 4.5kW PV system in mid 2011 and then followed up with an evacuated tube solar HWS in Feb 2012. The systems supplied are excellent quality, and provide great performance at very competitive prices. We highly recommend Andrew and his team!
Andrew was quick to respond to my enquiriy, answered questions thoroughly and provided quotes.

The installation was carried out by Rick, a friendly electrician who worked a long day to give us an installation that looks and performs great.

A speedy completion of paperwork by Rick and Andrew helped to get an inspection and meter installation completed in the following 8 days.

We're now happily pumping out the kWs and feel well covered into the future with the equipment and workmanship warranties that exceed what many others offer.

I also love the fact that Gippsland Solar is a local company with a great track record.
After making the decision to go Solar I did some research on the net and obtained a few quotes including some from Melbourne based companies. Gippsland Solar was recommended to us by a friend so I gave Andrew a call as well. I was impressed by his professionalism at once and with the change in the feed in tariffs fast approaching I decided to go with Andrew's company. We installed a 5kw system which was finished within 1 day. The tradesmen were fast and efficient and everything has been running smoothly since. All the paperwork was completed quickly and Andrew followed up with emails about the process after installation which was very helpful. I have made several calls to Andrew since and he was only to happy to answer all of my questions. We would thoroughly recommend Gippsland Solar to anyone thinking about going Solar.
Having previously had a solar hot water system from Gippsland Solar, I had no hesitation in contacting Andrew for a quote for my solar system. Andrew arranged for our system to be installed within a few weeks of giving the quote.

His crew of installers were thoroughly nice guys, who did a great job on a difficult roof, and cleaned up after they finished the job.
Andrew handled all paperwork and was always available to answer any questions.

I highly recommend Andrew and his team from Gippsland Solar
True to his word, friendly, knowledgeable and accessible at any time. Have recommended him to others. No problems with the service from him and the system works marvelously.
The company that was going to install my solar system went into administration and I had a week to get a system installed before changes to feed in tarrifs. Andrew came to my aid and had a quality system installed with in the week. Every thing happen as it should, I could not have been more pleased with the out come, my system has not missed a beat. Thanks Andrew
What a pleasure to deal with a company that has the customer's interests at heart. We found Gippsland Solar to be fast, efficient, professional and competitive throughout the quotation process. The installation was completed by qualified tradesmen who respected our property and carried out the work safely, cleanly and on time. Andrew submitted all associated paperwork quickly and competently and personally followed up after the installation process was complete.

After hearing other people's horror stories we were tentative when we made the decision to look into solar power but after contacting Andrew our experience could not have been better. We highly recommend Andrew and his team if you are considering solar power.
Very impressed with all the feedback we got from Andrew. Very highly professional with quick installation. Have recommended him to family and friends.