Lightning Solar and Electrical

Lightning Solar and Electrical Reviews

Lightning solar originally started under the business name LMC Electrical in 2012. They began as 1 electrician as a sole trader and then became a registered company in 2017. They have since gone through massive growth to become a bigger company and now have a head office in Melbourne. They currently do installations in Melbourne as well as Brisbane and Adelaide.

Lightning solar pride themselves on that fact the company is Australian owned and ran by electricians not marketing types looking to cash in on the solar boom. They make sure every installation is 100% compliant and have a huge focus on customer service.

They have a large amount of experience with residential solar as well as commercial projects and solar battery installation.

Lightning solar is current a CEC approved retailer which means they have made a commitment to honour the Solar Code of Conduct.

They only employ CEC accredited electricians to run their installation teams to make sure the quality of work is second to none!

Reviewers report paying: $2,500 - $13,000 for depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

The views expressed by reviewers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of Peacock Media Group, which makes no representations as to the accuracy of the reviews. For our full disclaimer and further information, see our Terms of Use and our Review Guidelines.

Lightning Solar and Electrical Reviews (168)

Persistent sales, required installation follow up

The sales process was helpful and the salesperson was followed up and really wanted the business. Once the deal was done they had limited contact and the follow-up to get things finalised was a bit tedious. Our install was on May 24 and we're still waiting for the system to work and generate power for us on the 21st of June. Takes the shine off the overall experience of having solar installed. It would be great if the 'process' were a bit better at setting expectations that the energy retailer is required to adjust the meter box and that might take some time.

We've been advised that the energy retailer has reconfigured the meter, but were still not generating power for some reason. The installer advised it should just work once it's all reconfigured.

A blessing considering Power Prices

A great firm from the start and end. They came out on site to discuss the various issues.
The installation was very professional. The Tesla and Inverter one day plus the electrics.
The next day was fine weather so the panels went up.
Finally now the it has been approved they will organize the Grid connection to Energy Local.

Great end to end service

Great end to end service, from answering questions in the quoting stage through to installation.

Excellent company

Very friendly and helpful staff who stayed in contact with me all the way through. Instillation staff very professional, polite and efficient. I fully recommend them.

Efficient, No Fuss, Too Easy and Professional

From beginning to end it all just happened, smoothly and little if any fuss.
Even the person commisioning the system said it was a good install

Good work by Shuey

I had a positive experience and dealt with Shuey Diptiman (National Sales Manager - Lightning Solar & Electrical). The installers were great and fairly tidy as far as tradies go. I did get much cheaper quotes, but stayed with these guys largely because of Shuey's knowledge and assistance. Could possibly use them again for another install.

Easy process

Sales prices was nice and smooth and the company was happy to answer all my questions. Getting the final sign off of the install has been a bit tricky.

Spot on Panels

I highly recommend Lightning solar
The sales quoting process was very easy and great to deal with and also
the boys that installed the system were awesome very tidy and polite
excellent customer service 10 out of 10 and they also helped the connection to the grid

Great job from intial phone call to complete installation.

After a long process of getting quotes I was very confused as to what was what. By going through Finn Peacock I got 3 reliable quotes and was quite confident with my decision to go with Lightning. Sales person Shuey was very knowledgable and explained everthing in detail and altohough I was kind over all the techiniocal stuff he certainly increased my knowldge and I had a good understadining of what I was purchasing and how it worked. Install was easy as on the day and even though there was a slight changed to the position of the panels it was painless. Some delays geting final inspection done but we are up and saving now so all good.

Informative sales process, efficient and friendly installers, quality equipment.

After requesting 3 quotes from SolarQuotes website, I was contacted by Shuey from Lightning Solar. We had a really good conversation about my needs, wants, constraints, and future plans. Shuey gave me great information about the options available, and came up with a system that met all my requirements. He even went above-and-beyond to help get the system closer to my budget.

There was only 2.5 weeks between signing the contract and the installers arriving. It was a complicated installation, and the weather was terrible, so it took 3 days for the crew to finish the job. They were polite, communicated well, and as far as I can tell did a fantastic job on the install.

The install was only this week so its too early to comment on the after-sales customer service, but all indications are positive at this point.

Excellent installation

The whole process was handled well. Quick and easy quoting and discussions by phone / email to choose the best components. The installers did a very good job on the day, very clean and tidy, polite and helpful too. They replaced a few cracked tiles before starting (with tiles I supplied).
Since installation, the system has worked perfectly. Over the first year, the output has been slightly above the estimated output on the quote. I calculate I have saved/earned well over $1000 during the first year.

Highly Recommended! Very Pleased!

This was a big undertaking and I was most pleased with Lighting Solar and Electrical. The advice was excellent and they made the process relatively easy.

The installers were friendly and professional.

The customer service was very prompt and helped overcome some issues along the way.

Would definitely recommend Lightning Solar and Electrical for any future work. I was very impressed with their expertise that I hired them to install an EV charger for us.

I am very pleased to get this system up and running and starting to save our family money.

Professionally done

Everything was done professionally. Good customer service as well especially from Himani

Simple and Smooth Process and Expirienced People - Highly Reccomend

I recently had two Tesla Powerwalls installed at home and I cannot speak highly enough of the Gavin and the team at Lightning Solar. The quoting process was as simple as having a conversation with Gavin about our requirements, I had a quote that evening, signed it off and they were out installing it literally the next week. Amazing service and would highly recommend them.

Original Review on 27-07-2021:

Happy with final product but we had hiccups

The initial quotation was good but decisions such as where to locate the panels, and even the wattage we could install turned out to be inaccurate. We had to relocate all of our west facing panels to the east and needed to take out one of the panels from our order as the voltage levels would have been too high. These are things that I believe should have been sorted out before the installation day. Original ratings

8 months later we asked Geoffrey: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

Very pleased with our system. Grid security is important to us. I highly recommend battery storage.

Great value solar with great service to match

Thorough, well informed and genuinely helpful staff made the process of determining the right solar system for us easy while building our confidence in investing in solar energy technology.
All our questions were answered, the installation team arrived and completed their work as scheduled and the follow-up from Lightning Solar has been great.
Very happy to recommend Lightning Solar and Electrical.

Don't bother looking beyond this company

Happy customer They kept me informed from the office and helped with governments, Installers were on time neat and tidy plus friendly.Left no mess for me to clear up which was remarkable as 17 panels create a lot of packaging.There was a lot of aluminium drilling in driveway but no swarf .The leading hand set everything up for myself and apps were on my phone before they departed .am tickled pink with the service.

Original Review on 18-07-2021:

Great experience

Quote was quick and all my questions were answered clearly. Installation day was seamless and operation of the unit was explained in full. I have had further contact from the company about any issues/questions since installation which was pleasing. Original ratings

8 months later we asked SIMON: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

No bills since November, get behind solar Australia.

Fantastic installer with excellent customer service at all stages

We were wanting a battery installed to compliment our pre-existing solar, so decided to go through Solar Quotes to find someone who could do this for us. We were so impressed with the speed that the recommendation came through, and couldn't be happier with their suggestion.

Lightning Solar were incredibly fast in getting a quote to us, and we were blown away by their fantastic customer service at all stages of the quote/installation process. Every person we dealt with was polite and helpful, and on the day of install the electricians contacted us when they were half an hour away to let us know their ETA. The install was incredibly tidy and we couldn't be happier that we chose to go with Lightning Solar. We would gladly recommend them to any of our friends and family.

Simplified a complex system

Good discussion re quote; well-explained and no pressure. Quote was reasonable, installation crew on-time, neat and considerate.

Fantastic to deal with always

Everything went really well, cannot fault in any way.
The installers where polite and very punctual. Took one and a half days to install.

A great experience

Installation of the system was well coordinated. Communication through the whole process was very good.

Great installers!

Our solar system completed in mid January 2022. Very happy with my experience with Lightning Solar & Electrical.
From Shuey who was very helpful all the way through the sales process and always willing to field questions, to the team in the office and the guys ( So sorry I forgot their names)that came out for the installation, and also do not forget to thank Striling and Jordan who specifically came to fix my Fronius App. I would highly recommend them.

Installed quickly

All the salespersons are alike, they say the others panels are rubbish, poor quality, only theirs is the best. Didn't expect to have to haggle with the salespersons. Always tell them you have a better price & they will drop theirs instantly. After sales customer service was appalling, they dont read emails. Didnt give the link to the app for monitoring despite asking 4 times for it. Have yet to see a power bill to see if the stress was worth it.

Hi Craig

We always offer our best price upfront for each panel, I believe the issue here was that you wanted a cheaper panel than our first offering. We offered you Hyundai panels first and then you came to us with a better price for Jinko (a cheaper product than Hyundai) and wanted us to quote on that which we did.

Regarding your emails, you would send an email and then call us within 1 hour if we did not reply straight away. We have lot's of customers and can't always get the appropriate person to reply within 1 hour.

We have also confirmed with our lead installer the solar app was setup on the day of installation on your partners phone but she somehow lost access.

Please if you have any further issues don't hesitate to contact us.

Great Experience

These guys were great. Helpful throughout the quoting and sales process. Installation on time as scheduled. Installers were great guys, punctual, polite and tidy. No hesitation in recommending them.

If you want hassle free solar contact this company

Lightning Electrical were not the cheapest of the quotes but I wanted prompt reliable and a quality system.
They provided everything I needed and wanted.
Luke was easy to talk, it was all signed in a few days, may I add it was the week before Christmas.
The installation was done perfectly by Jordi and his crew on the 31 Jan 2022. It possibly could have been done earlier but I was away for the first 3 weeks of January.
Jordi's group were professional, respectful and tidy, I didn't have to worry about rowdy workmen.
10 out of 10

This is a long review - the short version is that the Lightning Solar installers & electrician are not experienced or competent in my opinion. The installation is far from perfect; some issues were corrected (not all) over 4 subsequent visits and after I complained to the GM.

1. The crew doing the installation on 5/11/21 did not install any of the cabling or equipment required for Solar Analytics. I agreed to pay extra for Solar Analytics and it was included in the quote. When I asked about Solar Analytics at the end of the day of installation, the response was “I’ll have to check”.

2. I had discussed a lack of space in the existing switchboard with the Lightning Solar sales person, who included: "Replace RCD safety switch with individual RCBO's to make space for solar main switch” in the quote. The RCBO’s were not installed.

3. We were advised the power would be off for 30 minutes on the day of installation, but it was off for the entire afternoon.

4. On the day of installation the Lightning Solar electrician* said: “I’ve never done one of these before”, referring to commissioning of the Sungrow inverter. When first in use from 11/11/21, the inverter generated an error code ‘306’ every few days. *Not a Lightning Solar employee as the certificates are signed by a third party.

5. I was expecting that the installation would conceal the cables in the wall like other Lightning Solar installations seen on the Solarquotes site. The inverter location is a double brick wall. The installer advised there was insufficient space in the wall and proceeded with external conduits running up the wall into the ceiling. I accept that the wall space was insufficient for the cables but its not the neat installation I was expecting.

6. The installers, and specifically the electrician, were untidy. He left the site without cleaning up. Since the switchboard is inside the house this included brick and plaster dust on the carpet and cable offcuts etc. Outside there was silicone sealant mixed with brick dust walked across our tiled porch. The internal switchboard was surrounded by black sealant until I objected.

7. A different team arrived unannounced on 12/11/21 to install the Solar Analytics equipment, but there is limited space in the switchboard (as I had advised) and no cabling had previously been installed on 5/11/21 for the smaller Sungrow consumption monitor, so they installed a 2nd switchboard for the larger Solar Analytics device only. See the picture - this is inside the house next to our front door.

8. The second team (12/11) installed 4 current transformers: grid, production (solar), RCD (several circuits) and fridge (one circuit). However these were not shown on the Solar Analytics ‘my energy usage’ graph. Therefore I could not tell which appliances were consuming power.

9. A third team arrived 19/11/21, again unannounced, to “move a rail” holding the panels on the west string. I asked why, and was advised that the safety inspector (who attended on 11/11) required this remediation work.

10. On 19/11/21 I received an invitation to login to Solar Analytics for the first time. I found that the system configuration was incorrect. The inverter model was incorrect. The panel type was incorrect. The strings configuration was incorrect, showing 36 panels instead of 18. And the address of the installation was incorrect. I was able to correct these myself.

As this point I wrote a formal complaint to the GM, Lighting Solar.

11. A fourth team visited, again unannounced, to correct the issues. After a discussion with Solar Analytics, 4 graphs became visible on the dashboard, and this appeared to correct that issue. I later found that the two consumption measurements were reversed i.e the configuration was still incorrect. I raised a support ticket direct with Solar Analytics who corrected the problem in a day.

The fourth team also contacted Sungrow support who were able to update the software on the inverter remotely and this resolved the ’306’ error.

Given their past behaviour I expect the company to respond with a rebuttal that I was somehow responsible for these problems. That is not the case.

Good pricing and equipment, installation process needs improvement.

Well-priced, high-tier system with good customer service and easy quotes. Installation team arrived unannounced, and left a roof leak which had to be repaired by them at a later time. Yet to hear anything follow-up wise regarding grid connection.

Smooth process from quotation to installation

Trent Steley (sales rep) was a delight to deal with. I shopped around and got five quotes. He got to beat a quote for an identical system from Solar Hub. He gave me a lower price and earlier install by 6 weeks. He was always prompt with replies. It helps if you've already done your research and know what you want.

The installation went smoothly. Crew were professional. Daniel (hope I got his name right) addressed my concerns and was very forthcoming. Theo even gave me all the roof photos of the final install.

My first solar system experience, a most pleasant one

Excellent friendly communication from start to finish and installed promptly

Bad sales experience

I found Lightning Solar and Electrical when I asked for a quote from Solar quotes. I spoke with them and they explained the process. I had to contact them multiple times and no response to my emails as well after the first conversation. Finally we discussed about the quote and I signed the quote. Now when it came to grid approval, They collectively told me that I have to pay $175 additional and on the top of that I had to pay a refundable deposit of $500. This discussion came in place after I waited for 2 months and then they come to me saying that we cannot help in this case which is ridiculous.

This is very disappointing on the sales side and this should have been communicated to me in the initial conversation. I then had to decide to go with the cancellation of the installation through them after waiting for 2 months which is ridiculous.

To the director: please train your sales team properly in regards to providing the correct info to the customers. Fortunately I found another 2 installers who applied for my manual grid approval manually without charging me anything and by the way they quoted me the $500 less price for the same system for which you quoted me $500 more and they are in the solar installation business since last 10 years. Again to the director: I guess you need to provide some more training to your staff and be flexible in terms to getting more business and new customers.

Hi Akeel,

I’m really saddened to see that you have left such a negative and slanderous review during the process when there are many factors that should have been considered before you left your feedback.

We as a company feel this review is extremely unfair considering your behaviour during the sales process by attempting to blackmail and harass our staff on several occasions during the holiday period threatening that if we cancel you will purposely “leave us a bad review”.

You first came to us just before Christmas as you had already signed with another company on a very cheap price, which coincidentally is no longer in business after making you wait 6 months for your installation. You pressured us to match their quote even though we insisted their low prices were the reason they were in financial trouble and closing their business. Despite this we looked after you the best we could.

It now feels as though the frustration caused by the previous company by messing you around has unfairly moved onto us.

During this time your original solar pre approval expired, which is totally out of our control. We were required to submit a manual approval with no assurance or guarantee you would be allowed full export to the grid.

We are not in control of the export limits and this is something that is set above our company by the grids and governing bodies, therefore we cannot guarantee any level of export limits.

The cost of this manual approval is $175 to which would be billed to our company. You then insisted that if it does not come back as a 5kW export you will not proceed and we will have lost out on $175.

For us, and many other companies, this is simply not the way to conduct business in which I am sure SolarQuotes will understand.

Since you were yet to pay a deposit and lock in your contract we gave you the options of;

A. Pay a deposit and we will pay the $175 pre approval fee for you as we then know you're serious about going ahead.

Or

B. Pay the $175 pre approval fee yourself with no deposit to us (which means you could then take the pre approval to another company).

Both are completely fair options from our company giving you the chance to decide which is best for your current situation.

Unfortunately, this is when we started to receive blackmail from you to our company saying “if we do not absorb the cost of the pre approval you will leave a 1 star review” you mentioned this on several occasions.

This was during the Christmas period when my sales team and staff said they do not have the authority to apply this discount without the directors approval who was also on holidays at the time.

You then repeatedly called, harassed and threatened my staff up to 6 times a day during the holiday period until I personally took time away from my break to deal with your situation. Again, we have an abundance of evidence of this.

On the grounds that you had been extremely demanding, rude, aggressive and threatened us with blackmail, we respectfully declined to proceed with your installation given that you had not paid a deposit and were not yet an actual “client” of ours. This is totally within our rights to do so.

This whole process was 3 weeks over the holiday period, not the “2 month wait” you mentioned. Which again, we have full evidence and proof of.

After we declined your installation, you approached two companies to pay for your manual pre approval ($175 each) and only went with one. This confirms our suspicions that you were requesting us to put money towards a service you didn’t necessarily intend to proceed with.

I note after leaving a 1 star review online you smuggly emailed one of my staff and I quote "Hey mate, I have left you with a decent review on solarquotes" which I believe speaks for your character and the fact you are purposely looking to attack our business.

At Lightning Solar & Electrical we are always happy to take on new clients and provide an above average service wherever we can to please. However, with our calendar fully booked with customers eager for our services, we would rather not give that limited availability to clients who are problematic from day one.

Luke Cove
Managing Director

Fantastic installation. High quality system.

Sales process was very informative but a little intense. Installation was fantastic, installers arrived early and were done in a day. Very happy with the install. System hasn't been inspected and therefore enabled yet, so looking forward to seeing it in action.

Great Customer Service

Luke and his team are amazing delivering what they had promised.

A satisfied customer

The sales person was quite knowledgeable, patient and explained in detail various models of the panels, types of inverters and their pros and cons.

Installers were professionals, polite and explained the process. Took and shared photos of the roof before, during and after installation.

Enphase app is user friendly. Overall happy with the whole process.

Original Review on 03-05-2021:

I would not hesitate to recommend Lightning Solar

The sales person provided clear and consistent advice, that matched what I learnt on the SolarQuotes website and information video.
There was an easy step by step process to proceed with a quote and arrange installation.
Installers were prompt, friendly, polite and clean on site.

8 months later we asked Tania: "Are you happy with the performance of your system so far?"

I get so much enjoyment checking my solar app and watching how much we are self generating and pumping back into the grid instead of the days of drawing from the grid. Our next goal is to install a battery to be completely self sufficient.

Great team to deal with - very approachable and high quality install

The team at Lightning were great - I had already requested a quote from Lightning before I stumbled on SolarQuotes… their package ticked all the right boxes and was on the money compared to the three other quotes I received. Not a lot split them, but they accommodated all of the tweaks I wanted. Trent was really helpful upfront and the install team with Teo and Liam were brilliant. The job looks schmick and in the first week after turning it on it has been outperforming any nearby systems of the same size.

Great team to deal with

The whole team from the owner (Luke) to the installers,the office crew were so easy to deal with.

All Good ...So Far!

All installed on schedule, inspector took 2 weeks to come. All A OK. All working.

Professional, helpful and timely

From the quote to the installation process the company took a lot of stress of my head. They spoke to me and got information of my needs, got someone to do a site inspection and answered all my questions. They even suggested different products (not pushing just the most expensive stuff).

Come installation day, the guys were punctual, they got a cement sheet (which was not in the initial discussion as it was a new requirement without charging me for it) they completed the job with minimum disturbance to us (understanding the fact that when people work on the roof the sound amplifies). They even got some tiles for my roof (I had around 10 spare ones, but they required more) and left the work site clean.

The office staff did all the necessary paperwork with the power company and got me the application form and approval letters.

A Great Team

The team who worked at my property were highly professional, enthusiastic and positive. They worked very well together, and respected us and our property which was very soothing to a pair of elderly people who were already nervous about embarking on the life changing business of solar power. They were hard working, patient and diligent in problem solving. The quality of their work was top notch. We would have any one of them back any day!

Could not be happier with our solar installation company

Shuey went out of his way to make us feel confident, happy and sure that we were and are on the right company to buy and install our solar panels. Installation was faultless, shared some jokes. And left no mess!
I will gladly recommend your company to others!
Thank you. Maria& Guido Colla.

Fantastic installers! Responsive and easy to deal with.

Shuey from sales was very helpful as he gave us very detailed information about how solar works, along with the different options we have. Furthermore, he is very easy to reach either via email or phone call, and very responsive. He was very accomodating and worked around our schedule.

For the installation, the guys were punctual as they arrived on time and immediately began working. Special mention to Sean, Liam, and Theo for the amazing work they have done. It was neat and they even cleaned up, before finishing the work.

For the customer service, they were very responsive and easy to deal with. When email queries are sent to them, they will not let the day pass by that they will not respond. Also, they helped organise the grid connection and we were very surprised at the speed that they do it.

Thank you Lightning Solar and Electrical for making our solar installation experience a very easy experience.

Awesome from start to finish

Lightning Solar & Electrical was extremely professional from start to finish.

Shuey explained the difference between the panels, panel types, invertors and everything else I asked. He guided me through the whole process from start to finish. He picked up all my calls and when he missed a call, he called back asap.

The installers were very professional, communicated with me whenever they needed to take the power down, connected the invertor to my wifi for me. No rubbish was left, they took it all away.
The Vic solar guy came to check the install and praise the quality of the install job.

There was a slight issue on the consumption monitoring device. Spoke with Jeremy and he was able to quickly send out someone to fix that up the next day.

Extremely happy that I choose to go with Lightning Solar & Electrical. Would recommend them to everyone.

Quality Solar Installer

We are very happy to go with Lightning Solar for our system installation. Their quote provided the best value for money compared to others. We were impressed with the quality of their workmanship and everything went smoothly. They also upgraded our 50 year old switchboard for a very reasonable price. Definitely recommend these guys to anyone!

Fantastic!!

After getting quotes from multiple companies , reviewing and analysing all the pros & cons, I decided to go ahead with Lightning Solar and Electrical as they were best overall with everything. The guys did a great Job installing Solar on the roof and getting everything sorted in the lockdown restrictions. They are great to deal with and everything went well, definitely recommended !!! Hope they provide a good after sales service for me in future :)

Knowledgeable, efficient and courteous.

Ben worked with me through the quote process, he is a qualified electrician and did installs before he moved into sales, so he really knew what he was quoting. Was more than happy to discuss the system in detail including technical details that I'm a nerd for. Was happy to put together multiple quotes for me to consider and think on.

The install team were on time, quick, courteous and knowledgeable. Only took them half a day to put a 10.3kW system on and it's all really nice neat work. The Solar Vic installer was happy to certify it, it's been a really enjoyable process and I'm super happy with the results.

Always a pleasure to have people who are passionate and proud of what they do. I have no reservations in recommending them.

Great to deal with!

Great to deal with from start to finish!
Jan was patient and gave me great advice with what i wanted!
Install team kept us up to date and did a nice job.

8.5 KW system

very happy with the whole process, from quoting to communication, installation and support afterwards. Will recommend Lightning Solar to my friends

This little project went well. On time and on budget

Solar quotes is a godsend. I started getting a quote from a recommendation but getting Solarquotes to organise quotes was better. I was able to get a better picture of the process and cost and have 3 quotes to compare. The greatest advantage was having listing of all panels available and listings of inverters meant I could make valid comparisons of the quotes and the approximate cost of materials and quality rating of panels. I would highly recommend Solarquotes to anyone contemplating a solar installation.

Painless to deal with!

Cant fault these guys from the initial response, a quick inspection, the number of options presented at very competitive prices and then a qood installation by 4 guys who turned up when they said they would and finished as they said they would. Installation is very clean although at the time of writing (2.5 weeks post installation) it still hasn't been 'certified' so I cant yet see how it works.