Solargain Reviews

About Solargain, Solar Installers

Gold Partner
Solargain is a SolarQuotes Client (what does this mean?)
ABN: 90 132 725 501  ABN active since 13 Aug 2008 | Solargain Pv Pty Ltd
ACN: 132 725 501  ACN active since 13 Aug 2008 | Solargain Pv Pty Ltd
Electrical Contractor's Licenses:   (learn about electrical licenses and buying solar)
ACT: 20111150 Solargain Pv Pty Ltd

NSW: 221565C Solargain Pv Pty Ltd

QLD: 76260 Solargain Pv Pty Ltd

SA: PGE 261922 Solargain Pv Pty Ltd

VIC: REC 23503 Solargain Pv Pty Ltd

WA: EC 10367 Solargain Pv Pty Ltd

Estimated pricing for system: $4,000 - $8,000 depending on hardware choice and installation difficulty ( how is this calculated? )

Solargain is one Australia’s largest solar companies employing over 170 staff and have been a mainstay in the solar power industry since it began. The company started as a one many plumbing business in 1995, servicing and installing hot water and solar hot water. In 2005, the company Solargain was officially formed. In 2008, Solargain dived into solar power, long before it became mainstream. Priding themselves on quality solar, they are proud of the following achievements:

1. One of Australia’s only fully Quality ISO 9001 certified solar organisations.

2. Installed over 65,000 systems nationally, which ranks third nationally in total installed capacity.

3. Have consistently been in the top 5 installers (by volume) nationally for the last five years according to Sunwiz.

4. Solargain is a CEC Approved Solar Retailer and only employs CEC Accredited Installers & Designers.

5. Was one of the very first CEC certified organisations, installing systems before solar took off under the original $8000 rebate.

6. Chosen for many commercial projects, including the 1 MW project for the City of Cockburn ARC in Western Australia in 2017.

Solargain offers and services almost anything solar related. With major offices in Western Australia, Queensland and Victoria, they have one of the widest service networks of any solar company.

Solargain Solar Reviews

Multiple delays and failure to meet CEC code of conduct

My experience with Solargain was poor to say the least. This is a long review, but hopefully steps out the multiple failures of Solargain across the quote - install - post install process so you can avoid the same mistakes I made in choosing them for your system.

I requested a quote from Solargain on 09/09/19. Over the next couple of days via phone and email I asked for some simple amendments to the quote. Some of these were made, others (such as removing 1 panel from the quote) were not. I went back and forth about 4 times before being told that the quote didn’t really matter as it could be amended after submission to the Solar Victoria portal. I finally asked the consultant to provide a copy of the quote to my specifications that could be accepted by myself and submitted to Solar Vic by solargain. This simply didn’t happen and the consultant stopped responding to my calls or emails. As a result, I missed the rebate window and my install was delayed.

The CEC code of conduct states that ‘Approved retailers will provide you with the necessary information in writing to enable full education about your purchase prior to entering into a contract.’

I should have listened to my gut and avoided Solargain based on my initial interactions, but they had so many good reviews that I led myself to believe that things would get better - they didn’t.

I tried again to get the correct quote uploaded by Solargain for the October rebate and again the consultant was unwilling to correct the quote to the system I’d actually asked for (13 panel Jinko, 5kw Growatt inverter - nothing complex!). Finally the consultant promised to correct the quote and submit it to the portal with two days to spare before the next rebate. Frustratingly he then failed to do so, and when I called to find out why I was advised that he’d gone on holiday. If I hadn’t followed up and chased a new consultant I would have missed that round of rebates as well.

Finally, with the quote in the Solar Vic system and things progressing Solargain sent someone out to check my roof. They now decided that they design they’d come up with wasn’t suitable and that I might not actually be able to have a system installed at all (I’d like to point out that other installers who visited the property and quoted didn’t seem to see this as an issue). After a week of back and forth a final design was provided and the install booked - for 5 weeks after the Solar Vic application was accepted.

Almost 3 months after my first quote, the installers turned up. First thing they did? The re-designed the system entirely to a more practical solution than anything that the ‘consultant’ had come up with over the past 3 months. The install team did a fantastic job. The work was done in a day (although the consultant quoted 5 hours originally), and done professionally. The team was friendly and transparent. The install was by far the most positive part of dealing with Solargain.

With the install complete it was time for certification (a Victorian requirement) before the system could be used. I was told 10-15 business days. After 8 I contacted Solargain to check on the progress. I emailed, called, and used their online chat. For 3 days I heard nothing back. As it was now getting close to Christmas I was keen to see the job complete before any potential holiday interruptions. On the 19th I was advised that it was unlikely to be completed and was not provided any details on when the certification would be undertaken. 14 business days passed before Christmas day, and 15 business days were up on the 27th. It took until the 15th January (25 business days, 42 calendar days) for the system to be certified. At no point did Solargain provide any update on when it might occur and it seemed that it was only through my chasing that anything happened at all.

The CEC code of conduct states ‘Approved retailers will fully inform you of the process between system installation and network connection or will facilitate this process on your behalf’.

I've asked solargain to provide a refund equivalent to what the system would have generated across the period when it should have been certified but wasn't. They haven't acknowledged this request.

It took over 4 months from the initial quote for the system to be installed and certified for use (we aren’t even feeding back into the grid yet.. that could be another 20 days). I believe this to be a wholly unacceptable timeframe. As such I requested that solargain provide me with details on their formal complaint process. Solargain did not provide any details on the complaints process, nor did they even recognise my request to lodge a formal complaint.

The CEC code of conduct states ‘Approved retailers maintain a fair and transparent complaints process, and get back to you within 21 days of you making a complaint’

If you’ve got this far you’ll have seen that Solargain has failed on multiple occasions to meet the CEC code of conduct, or to even act in a reasonable manner for a business providing a service. I regretted on multiple occasions that I stayed with Solargain as my retailer, and should have gone with my gut early on when the consultant was unwilling (or incapable) of completing an accurate quote to lodge onto the Solar Vic system.

To date I’ve had four friends ask if who I used for my solar system and if I’d recommend them. I’ve had to tell them to avoid Solargain, and my advice to anyone reading would be the same.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your feedback, we have passed it onto management for review. We pride ourselves on our customer service so we place high importance on your cases such as yours. If at any time you would like to discuss your solar PV system, please contact us on 1300 73 93 55.

Kind regards, Solargain.

Fast an reliable installers with attention to detail

Sales was very clear and helpful.
The installers went over and beyond to make the install a smooth process. The installers were very good. Polite and well mannered.
Grid connection was already setup as it was a replace like for like system.

Hi Peter,

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us such a great review! If there's anything else we can assist with, please contact us on 1300 73 93 55.

Solargain

Haven't installed yet just waiting to change to 3 phase. Quoting was quick and detailed all queries answered promptly.

Hi Trent,

Thank you for the feedback and we look forward to installing your new system!

Solargain

Very good company to deal with

All of the above happy with everything
Would recommend the company and installers

Hi Shirley,

Thank you very much for the review and rating!

Solargain

Great system design (install bit occurred yet)

Great service and best combination of design, products and information to support what is a complex buying decision.

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much for your great review! We're happy to hear you've been happy with your decision to choose Solargain.

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your rating, we would love some further feedback regarding your rating. We can see you recently called in due to your inverter having an unrepairable fault which exceeded it's 5 year warranty by 2 years, so we quoted a replacement. We take feedback and reviews seriously and if there's something that you feel was not satisfactory or needing improvement, please contact us on 1300 73 93 55 so we can assist with your concerns.

Solargain.

recommended for competitive price, quality components, quick installation.

Quick quotes with three size options.
Fast installation, happy and efficient team - no checking before turn-on, this caused some delays in fault finding.
All paperwork and liaison with my provider (ACTEW) was organised by SolarGain.
Smartmeter installation was 1 week post solar instal.

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback - we will share this with the team. Please contact us on 1300 73 93 55 if there's anything else we can assist with.

Solar Review

No issues from original quote to installation. I would recommend!

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review!

Very good service

Very good and helpful salesman. The installer was punctual, polite and tidied up after installation.

Hi Pam,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Solargain! It's great to hear you've been impressed with our service and installation. Please contact us on 1300 73 93 55 if there's anything else we can assist with.

Very satisfied with new PV Array and iStore Heat Pump HWS

Graham (sales) was helpful in giving us a range of PV systems to consider. Although they never came onsite, they used satellite imagery to predict the maximum number of panels we could install on our north facing roof. He was quick to respond to any changes and questions we made and was patient with the 20-30 emails back and forth to get our purchase just right.

The installation was ~4 weeks after we signed up for our new system. The iStore Heat Pump came a few weeks earlier.

We experienced a significant loss of how water pressure after the new HWS was installed, but the manager and installer came back onsite two days later and re-configured the iStore so it delivered hot water in a similar fashion to our old 16yo Vulcan hws. Very relieved!

Both the heat pump and the PV array were installed by sub-contractors, but in fairness we were given the choice of waiting another month if we wanted to use SolarGain's own installers. We preferred to start saving on electricity as soon as possible, and were happy with the quality of contractors who came on site.

The only small disappointment was that our original purchase of 28 panels, had to be reduced to 26 panels, as the screw lines on our roof were installed too close to the roof cap, which meant the top row of the array had to be installed right up at the apex of the roof, therefore not wide enough to accommodate the extra two panels that were originally provisioned. Even if the sales person did come onsite to inspect, I doubt that this would have been picked up until an installer was actually on the roof. On the plus, we got a last minute call from SolarGain to advise we would be getting the newer 325w SunPower P19 panels at no extra cost (a big improvement on the original 320w panels).

The grid connection went very smoothly and we had our meter upgraded to a digital smart meter 7 days post installation.

I would recommend SolarGain and use them again.

Hi Graham,

Thank you very much for the comprehensive review! We are very pleased to hear your wonderful feeback and will be sure to share it with Graham and the team. Thank you again for taking the time to review us.

Kind regards, Solargain.

Very Professional. From initial contact to installation yesterday everything went to plan. No hiccups, no excuses it was a pleasure to do business with Solargain.

Sales Rep polite, professional, very generous with his time. Explained everything, answered all questions with good knowledge. Gave a quote on the spot, then emailed a detailed breakdown.

Installers arrived on time - clean and tidy, well presented, well spoken, polite chaps. Got straight into the work, no resting for these fellows, work was done very well. I was given a full run down of what they did, installer stayed a while to make sure everything was working as it should be.

I cannot fault the company or the employees.

Hi Jill,

Thank you very much for the kind words and thank you for choosing Solargain. Please contact us on 1300 73 93 55 if there's anything else we can assist with.

Solargain
Whilst we are happy with our installation we are now disappointed that we didn’t choose a local supplier. Solargain does not have an ACT office and our experience from receiving your recommendation has been either email or phone. Unfortunately we cannot get a wifi connection with our fronius inverter, Solargain’s assistance is only available via a call centre in Western Australia. Therefore the addition of the Fronios smart meter seems superfluous. The installation was done by a ‘sub contractor’ and while they did a good job, they were happy to finish a quickly as possible, to complete their other job of the day. Therefore there has been no follow up from either the installer or Solargain that the installation met our expectations and was functionally working And as Solargain has no feed from our system, I am surprised they didn’t follow up as part of their validation process. In fact we have had more response from ActewAGL who provided us with the assurance our system is working and that the feedback is being recorded. Thankfully we are totally satisfied that we now have a PV system but would probably follow a different priority, than cost if I was to extend or do this again

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for the feedback and for choosing Solargain. We’re sorry to hear that you were not happy with your after-sales service of your system, we do pride ourselves on our customer service so we have looked into your case. We do follow-up on all our installs via email 30 days post installation as part of our protocol, and encourage customers to give feedback on their experience. We can see a service case was raised on the day of install in regards to the Wi-Fi extender and instructions were sent to you on how to set up your personal online account. For your reference this case number is # 66966. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us on (08) 9550 1550 and reference the above case number. Kind regards, Solargain.

Fantastic company to deal with.

The quoting process was excellent. However in hindsight I should've pushed to have everything discussed put down in the quote.
The installers were great they were polite very tidy and 10 minutes early. I had a small issue with my installation and the solargain worked quickly and efficiently to sort out a solution.
I would rate their customer service very highly they were a joy to work with

Hi Janet,

Thank you very much for the review. We're very happy to hear how pleased you've been with the whole process and our customer service!

Professional work

Pos: very well organized process. Plenty of information. Almost all technical questions were answered (addressed to retailer). Neg: only minor remarks. Reluctance to come to the site for primary survey and discussion (other did it). Long waiting period, queue about 1 month long, though I realized it is common with this business.
Perfect installation teamwork, all done well, in time and taking my wishes into consideration.

Hi Pavel,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback! Please let us know if there's anything else we can assist with.

Give them a go...

1. I was a little wary based on some previous reviews, but have them a go.
Sales was excellent. No hard sell. Informative. Every question I had, had a ready answer that I found convincing.
2. Price was competitive. A little below average.
3. Install was fine. Good even. They tried to talk me into changing my design. Difficult to know whether it was to benefit them or me. Quick. Clean. No hassle.
4. Post install was good. I was aware of what needed to be done myself, but the team seemed to manage it without my intervention.
5. System had been performing to expectations. All around, very happy. Waiting for my first bill!

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your review and we're very happy to hear that you are enjoying the benefits of your new PV system.

Solargain

High quality products and great price

Easy, informative quotes, lots of information and advice. Very quick installation by a highly competent electrician. Second time we've used Solargain and can highly recommend them.

Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for the great review! We appreciate the wonderful feedback and please let us know if there's anything else we can assist with.

Solargain

Excellent customer service, even came and completed a shade survey when we requested

Solargain was the cheapest quote and offered the Q-Cells which other providers wouldn't quote due to the manufacture of military equipment.
Salesperson was very knowledgeable and offered a variety of different brands for inverter and panles which none of the other providers offered.
Installation staff were very prompt and efficient and arranged panels to be orientated to gain maximum exposure.

Hi Shannon,

Thank you very much for the review and feedback. We will be sure to share your positive feedback with the team.

Excellent Value

From the start, a professional organisation. A detailed quote, quick response to questions, and a very keen price for the system provided. Installation date arranged and adhered to, and the installation was performed to a high standard by polite and competent staff. Very happy with the whole process.

This is great to hear! Thank you very much for your review. Kind regards, Solargain. Show additional information

Would highly recommend this company

Clear explanation of system in quoting. I went for the bigger system but see now the smaller one suggested was perhaps wiser. The salesman was very honest & not “pushy” in any way.
Installation was punctual, polite & neat although we do have slight shade problem on one side in early afternoon.
Customer service was excellent. I am in my eighties & not really tech savvy & that was no problem. They arranged everything & returned to switch all on when the new meter was installed. I feel free to approach the company any time.

Hi Eileen,

Thank you very much for the review and we're very happy to hear you're experience was an enjoyable one.

A sub-contractor for Solargain - not recommended

Five stars for the system as I chose quality components and the price was reasonable via Solargain. That's where the positivity ends I'm afraid. Unfortunately Solargain uses sub-contractors and that's a problem in Canberra where it's hard to get good tradies at the best of times. The quality of the install and the customer service was poor and has me regretting even starting this process...

“Thank you Robert for your feedback. We have taken this on board and will look into this for you. Please contact us on 1300 73 93 55 if you have any concerns with your system and we will happily rectify them for you. Kind regards, Solargain. Show additional information

Couldn't Ask for Better Service

Graeme from Solargain was excellent. I had many quotes and chopped and changed between what I wanted before finally deciding. Graeme had no problems at all in re-quoting every time I wanted to change something. After finally deciding to engage Solargain, I had a date locked in with in a couple of day. I was heading overseas for a four week holiday and would only be back for two weeks before heading overseas again for work, so I had a limited time frame for when I wanted the system installed. The day of the install went great, the guys turned up exactly when they said they would and completed the work within the day. Overall, I'm very impressed from start to finish with Solargain.

Hi Heath, we really appreciate your review and thank you for choosing us to install your system! Please contact us on 1300 73 93 55 if there’s anything else we can assist with. Kind regards, Solargain. Show additional information

Slight flaw in process

Solargain didn't perform a site visit and used subcontractors for the installation, so as per my situation where the installation plan created using satellite view was found not to be feasible due to the roof on the day of install, the subcontracted installer was left to position the panels without having seen the images of shading issues that the original plan was designed to avoid.

Sales person was very helpful as was customer service who sorted out all the paperwork and meter replacement etc, and even helped resolve a minor aesthetic issue after the install, they beat the other quotes I received on price, plus the company itself is likely to be around for some time.

The system has been running well so I am happy with how it went, just think they could improve their process by supplying subcontractors with shade mapping in case of situations like mine.

Would I go with them if I could do it over?, possibly I might take the trade-off of choosing a company that doesn't subcontract installs over the long term support of solargain, but that could be a decision i would come to regret 5 years later if that other company ceased to exist or is less helpful after install as solargain is purported to be.

Hi Michael, thank you very much for your comprehensive review. We will definitely pass your feedback onto our team and we’re happy to hear you are enjoying your new Solargain system. Kind regards, Solargain. Show additional information

Great looking panels, neat installation

Solargain was very informative and explained everything clearly to keep me in the know throughout the whole process. Installers were punctual, polite & did a neat job on the day.
Even throughout the rebate process they guided me through step by step. Very happy.

Hi Shane, thank you very much for your great rating and review! Kind regards, Solargain. Show additional information
We were assured in 2014 that Renesola were a reputable company and their panels were good quality but they don't back up those claims when the problems arise.

Hi Greg, thank you for the feedback on our company. Unfortunately for your panels to have a warranty claim they need to be underperforming and we can see that they currently are not. However, we have everything logged in our system so should the panels start to show signs of warrantable deterioration, please contact us directly on 1300 73 93 55 to process a claim. Show additional information

Totally professional!

Though the quoting process took a while for us to get the right quotes for the system that we wanted, for comparison, we were happy with it in the end.
Salesperson was flexible.
It helped to know what we wanted, still the process was exhausting because of a lot of information to understand and filter.
Solargain office staff got the paperwork done quickly and seamlessly.
Installation was booked quickly, and installation was done in less than 1/2 day.

Difficult to form a clear judgement at this stage.

Sales/quote process was good in comparative terms. Install was punctual, tidy, and installers were friendly and helpful answering questions. Customer service has been good - organised virtually everything (and offered clear instructions about what I needed to do) and have been easy to contact with any questions. The system is up and running and producing loads of power, so overall, I'm happy, but it is very early days - the system was just installed today. Show additional information
It took 3 weeks for the Inspector to check the system The system was installed on the 11/7/2019 and is still not on the grid yet Show additional information

Professional installer

Installer came to my house and got up on the roof with me, to explain installation.
Friendly team of three installers got job done in one day. I'm a tradesman and their workmanship was superb and efficient.
All paperwork and communications have been prompt and easy to follow.
I can't imagine having a better installation done for me.
Thank you Solarquotes for recommending them. Thank you Solargain for being so professional.
The Panels & Inverter were installed in a little more than half a day on 24/10/18 but the Switchboard upgrade has not been done yet. Show additional information
Overall a really good experience. I'm really happy with the system performance and the overall process that I went through.
I asked a lot of questions of each supplier and took a few months to research the different products and solutions that each offered. I also engaged with another supplier (not through Solar Quotes) through some of my work contacts. After much research, I didn't get a good feeling from SolarEdge as a product. I heard about a lot of failures and the poor product support. I also don't like it when companies start threatening legal action and try to quiet installers who are sharing the truth. I was also warned about the stability and longevity of Enphase as a company, since they nearly went bankrupt several years ago. But I think they have turned things around, and I was confident they had an excellent product range and could continue to support their install base into the future. For me, the MicroInverter while a little more expensive, is the superior solution. I really like the small footprint of the power meter (Envoy Meter-S). I also love the fault tolerance of the system and built in safety.

My only complaints with dealing with SolarGain were the long wait time to do the install, some incorrect documentation was supplied (e.g. wrong solar panel spec sheet). They didn't do a site visit for the quote which meant that on the day the install occurred, the panel layout design had to change due to pipe in the roof. Also, their "customer user manual" was really out of date and not relevant to a Micro-Inverter system (it was focused on traditional string inverter like SMA). I gave them this feedback, and they are trying to update the manual, and have promised to supply it to me when ready. I am also waiting for "MyEnlighten Manager" level access to my system. So far just got the default level of access, which doesn't give you panel level data analysis. SolarGain are looking into that for me, so hopefully it gets sorted out soon. So far, almost 10 days of the system running and it has been producing well above expectation (averaging 23kWh per day). I'd definitely recommend the installer and this solution to anyone.
The Solargain sales consultant was very knowledgeable, very patient and informative as I was coming from a nil base. He put many hours into the sale, including visiting my house and arranging for an inspection of a working heat pump hot water system in another suburb; very quiet. I had been worried about the noise but it was less than many airconditioners. A key issue is the quantum of information that has to be known so that one can invest with confidence. It's not like buying a car; it's more like assembling a system from its component parts after you learn enough to do so. For example, I only stumbled on the heat pump solar hot water system in the last two weeks of my research - and how lucky I did. The absence of any independent consultant advisors means you either accept what is said, or you do the research to satisfy yourself. If the former you need to check out the company properly, as there are sufficient stories of shysters to make one wary.

The Solargain installers of both the heat pump and solar panels and inverter were excellent, industrious and knowledgeable. Up on the roof it looks great, and the electrical connections were better than was used on my previous 1.5kW system.

The back office staff are clearly overworked and unresponsive. In the end the sales person came to my rescue about setting up the Fronius solarweb system, but this was some 5 weeks thereafter.

I would certainly use the Solargain Deception Bay people again, as I now understand the process a lot better, but their office end needs help to provide better service.
They were efficient and reliable and honoured all appointment times. Show additional information
Thank you SolarQuotes, the information you supplied helped me choose a solar system that suited my needs. Show additional information
While the price was important it was the fact that the products used were similar to what other companies were supplying at a higher price.
I have found my dealings with Solargain to be a seamless experience.
Had a couple of local shade issues, but couldn't find anyone who offered analysis with a Suneye 210 or equivalent, and was forced to go with a "best guess" kind of analysis aided by the kind gift from a friend of the Excel chart "Canberra sun angles". It contains the direction and elevation of the sun for every hour of a Canberra calendar year, which helped a bit to give a little backup to the inevitable salesman's optimistic "she'll be right". Otherwise all OK, and thank you for the quotes and all the educational pages - they really helped a great deal.
BTW Sorry for the repetitive "all 4" ratings above, but I stand by them...

Avoid Solargain and their subcontractor Elite Solar

Solargain and their subcontractor do not know the technology they are installing. Solargain sent their subcontractor Elite Solar to my house to install a 10kW system. They recommended that the inverter be installed by the front door. I asked if there would be any noise and was told there be a slight hum. When the system was first turned on it was quite noisy and I queried the installer who confessed that he had only installed small inverters before and didn't realise an 8kW inverter would be so loud. The Fronius inverter is so noisy that it is unpleasant to sit in the yard in front of the house. Solargain came out to inspect the inverter and agreed it was noisy. A month later they said it would cost $1500 to relocate. I disagreed. They came back and said they would move it for $750. I disagreed. Now Solargain do not reply to my emails.

Additionally, Elite Solar punctured 8 holes through my cathedral ceiling by mistake. On the first day Elite Solar turned up and said I needed to upgrade the cable from my switchboard to street, which has cost about $2000.

My recommendation is to avoid Solargain, Elite solar, and Fronius inverters.
Two systems ie original 5Kw with IG inverter and second 5kw system working alongside but with Fronius Primo inverter. Average putting back around 3.5 times what we use into the grid and have not paid a power bill for years and remain in credit. Haven't actually worked it out but original system and 60c FIT nullified power bills and paid for 5Kw additional system. All round an excellent experience but not something to go into blindly. Estimate the two systems have paid for themselves and are now earning. Show additional information