Solargain Reviews

About Solargain, Solar Installers

Solargain is one Australia’s largest solar companies and have been a mainstay in the solar power industry since it began. The company started as a one many plumbing business in 1995, servicing and installing hot water and solar hot water. In 2005, the company Solargain was officially formed. In 2008, Solargain dived into solar power, long before it became mainstream. Priding themselves on quality solar, they are proud of the following achievements:

1. One of Australia’s only fully Quality ISO 9001 certified solar organisations.

2. Installed over 40,000 systems nationally, which ranks third nationally in total installed capacity.

3. Have consistently been in the top 5 installers (by volume) nationally for the last five years according to Sunwiz.

4. Was one of the very first CEC certified organisations, installing systems before solar took off under the original $8000 rebate.

5. Chosen for many commercial projects, including the 1 MW project for the City of Cockburn ARC in Western Australia.

Solargain offers and services almost anything solar related. With major offices in Western Australia, Queensland and Victoria, they have one of the widest service networks of any solar company.

Solargain Solar Reviews

Only received 2 quotes and option 2 & 3 were the same supplier, but ended up using the same as our neighbour. Overall your website is excellent and very helpful. Show additional information
I originally intended to install a system comprising 24 x 270w panels with the design drawn up by Pure Electric and provided to SolarGain. However, when it came to the installation (by a local electrician) it was discovered that only 23 panels would fit. Whilst I only paid for 23 panels it was disappointing not to be able to install the maximum that could be run through a 5kw inverter. That said, the system works well and am happy with it's performance in the first 6 weeks. Show additional information
Salesman (James) was excellent. Very knowledgeable and new what he was talking about. The install was great, they were on time and neat. The after install tech support is prompt.

Have recommended to others, and also this is my second install with Solargain.
Outstanding service and install from Solargain and the team at SymmetryElectrical, can't recommend strongly enough. Show additional information
Customer service went out of their way to make installation booking according to my availability. They approached another client who was a bit flexible to swap their installation date with me. This really helped me.

There is no support for setting up Fronius App for live data report after the installation is done. I have been advised to work it out myself by following the you tube videos provided by Fronius but that's still not working for me.
System install was quick, included a heat pump, workers tidy, enjoy the app that comes with the solar system - vey happy over all. Show additional information
Firstly Murray from Solargain contacted me within a day and then quoted me on a top system that was a better design than other quotes that I received. Also the price was no more expensive.

The installation was completed by Phil and Tom without any issues and Phil was able to answer a few more questions that I had. The installation was first class and they cleaned up after the job was completed.

The system has been in place for over two weeks now and is working welI.
After sales service has also been very good
The only concern we have is the lack of communication between the sales office and the installers. The quote we had agreed on stated that the roof was terracotta tile and there was an image of the roof showing where the panels were to be placed. The installers on arrival were surprised that the roof was tile and then installed the panels where they thought best. They were not aware or advised where they should go. Fortunately all worked out in the end.

We had a smart meter installed so that we can monitor solar production, our consumption and what is going to the grid. This all working well despite the Fronius App not being the most user friendly.

Energex have only today, approx. 3 weeks after, installed the new meter so we are fully operational.

So at this early stage we are more than happy and look forward to cheaper electricity bills.
Disappointed with solarquotes options, no name businesses with expensive quotes on cheap gear. Show additional information
Our move to solar was prompted by replacing ducted gas heating with a reverse-cycle aircon system.
Solarquotes could only obtain a quote from one approved Canberra provider. But, to get the three promised quotes Solarquotes approached two other providers who did not respond despite reminders from me. In light of this and wanting to have more than one quote I obtained a quote from ActewAGL.
Joe of Solargain in Melbourne was very helpful in configurng a system that would meet our needs. In particular, he quoted on alternative panel brands and suggested extra PV panels and an electric hot water system as the most cost-effective to replace our gas hot water. In contrast, ActewAGL quoted only one system and showed no interest in offering options for replacement of our gas hot water system.
On accepting the Solargain quote, everything progressed smoothly apart from coordination of our request for (and agreement to) a delayed installation date which was not passed on to the hot water installer. I understand the PV side of Solargain operations is coordinated from Perth and HW from Brisbane.
Over the past couple of days the installers Eddie and Lyndon seemed very thorough and I'm hopeful of no problems when the system is inspected by ActewAGL before it is made operational.
First of all, I would express my thanks Finn, for the great help your website was to me in sorting out the best option for me to follow. I found the links you give to resources such as PVwatts calculator invaluable, and learning to use those gave me a much greater understanding of the relative significance of the many 'variables' you encounter, and how those affect the daily and monthly output over a calendar year.

Of the 3 installer alternatives you sent me, I ultimately decided on SolarGain. That was due in large part to their quick responses to the many queries I raised, and the effort their representative Murray Steans put in to ensure I got the system I wanted. In my case I had an existing 1.5KW system already installed on the prime NE facing position, that had been around for a while (110 Watt panels and an early model SunnyBoy inverter, production of which has been discontinued) so that increased the range of alternatives to consider and the factors (both physical and financial) to weigh up. If you've already got an existing system, ultimately its up to you to make some of those decisions, not the installer of any subsequent additions or replacements. You can take for granted that you are going to lose your 44 cent FIT. There seems to be a lot of at times somewhat hysterical misunderstanding around about that. If you are getting a 44 cent FIT, that only applies to the relatively low qty of exported kwh after any self-consumption from your current system. Even if you consume those few kwh, you are still saving nearly 26 cents anyway because you are not drawing power from the grid in respect of them. Your guess is as good as mine as to what the level of future tariffs is going to be, and how quickly the present gap of 18 cents will narrow over the next few years.

Overall I was very happy with my choice of Solar Gain. Because of their size and national representation, people located in other regions may have a different experience because of purely local factors. I'd rate them as 'excellent' for customer service, 'fantastic' is maybe a too exuberant way to express that.

So far as the other 2 potential installers were concerned, one took more than 2 weeks to get back to me to even introduce themselves, and the wording of their standard letter indicated they hadn't really taken much notice of the quote request. If I've asked for a quote for a 5 kW system as a starting point, thats what I expect to get as a starting point for any future discussion or amendment, not an invitation to sit down with their representative and discuss the entire universe of Solar PV possibilities and options.

SAE Group was the third possibility. To my mind, their insistence upon placing a marketing sign, of unspecified dimensions, colour and lettering size, in the midst of my carefully planned and aesthetically designed front garden, and despite the feed-back they've had over a long period of time from potential clients that they don't like this, is something of a 'red flag'. ie smacks a little of a 'we don't listen to our customers because we always know best' kind of attitude. They too were a little slow in acknowledging the quote request, but their quote did arrive within 1 week, which given the time of year was quite reasonable service.
Would have been happier if installer had placed panels on roof as I had agreed with Solargain Show additional information
Happy with all aspects of the quote and installation, good communicators. Highly recommended. Show additional information
Had some bad feedback about another popular company.
Solargain offered quality equipment at a reasonable price.
The installer was knowledgeable when attending the house for assessment.
Waited six weeks for the original install date of 7 April and was advised they had a problem with it being done on that date. They advised new date of 20 April. the two installers turned up in the morning. They did a fantastic job, one problem was that one of the panels arrived damaged so will have to be installed at a later date. The whole system is very tidy and they took great care in their work. Would recommend them to anyone. Show additional information
Noting that I reside in what is classified as rural; it was indicated through your search, that no solar companies operate in our area. I found it easier to receive quotations myself. Maybe my experience with solar gain can be added to your database for installers within my area. Show additional information
Excellent communicators and prompt service. Price was very reasonable. Installation completed in one day. Very professional job. No hesitation in recommending this group. Also Solar Quotes did a great job of supplying the three contacts. Show additional information
A very professional experience. Thorough with service delivery and efficient installation. No hesitation in recommending this firm. Show additional information
Murray at Solargain was really helpful and professional. Not pushy and explained everything. I did my homework on solarquotes and chose Solargain. The install was done today. The install team were really good, explained everything and tidied up after themselves.
Well done to Finn too at solarquotes. The 101 beginners guide is well worth a read to help anyone decide on who and what solar systems to purchase. Made my choice easy in the end.
Solargain is not the cheapest supplier and installer in Perth, but their workmanship and customer service is excellent. I got a good price on the initial installation of my solar system through a deal organised through my workplace social club.

I initially installed 1.5kW of solar panels in 2010 with a 3kW Aerosharp inverter so I could add the additional 1.5kW of panels later, when I could afford them. The Aerosharp inverter was noisy from the beginning, emitting a high-pitched whine when operating. After about 5 years, the Aerosharp inverter began tripping out as soon as the sun hit the panels, and I contacted Solargain to complain. It took a few attempts, but they honoured the warranty on the Aerosharp inverter (Aerosharp had gone out of business by this time), and replaced it with a 3kW ABB UNO.

The ABB inverter has been brilliant - it's all silent!
Make sure the supplier tells you about booking in an inspection BEFORE the system is fully installed. Mine was installed in late February and is only being inspected today. Show additional information
I'd recommend anyone interested in getting local pricing for panels to go to www.solarquotes.com.au.
I want to give a free plug to this site because it's bloody terrific!

The guy that runs that site is called Finn Peacock, and he used to work at the CSIRO (Renewable Energy Div) before starting this site in 2009.
His site offers a terrific learning tool to get full bottle on solar power systems, and gives unbiased and educated advise for specific circumstances.

When and if you are ready to go ahead, use him as a referral base and he'll recommend 3 installers in your local area that he has personally vetted to ensure they use quality components and installation. I ended up going with Solargain, a mob here in the ACT (but I think they are in Melbourne as well). They weren't the cheapest (or most expensive), but had the best overall package and customer service.

I ended up going for a 9.48Kw system using top notch everything... and it was about $11k (everyone's circumstances are different btw, and mine was incorporated into a new house build... so meter box and wiring etc was able to be planned at an early stage).

What I'm trying to say is, if you're going to take the leap and spend thousands of dollars on a solar panel system, you want to be damn sure its not a lemon. Get educated on the topic. Check out this website and read the "About Us" section. It's a pleasant change to find someone knowledgeable and trustworthy, that also isn't trying to fleece you.

I couldn't be happier and strongly suggest you check them out if you are serious about solar. Sorry for the long rant, but there's so much crap out there I just wanted to shine a light in the right direction for those just starting out.

Thanks again Finn!
Solargain has been really efficient so far. They have been easy to contact and deal with and have already installed a replacement for our old (dead) inverter on the day and time they said they would be there. Now we have an appointment with them in a fortnight to instal a parallel (new) system with 1 panels and a larger inverter. Solargain has been really helpful with advice on the optimum system for us to cover our current and future electricity needs and we look forward to seeing how the new system works.. Show additional information
From start to finish solargain has been helpful, professional and accomodating. The returned phone calls and emails promptly, actually installed the system when they said they would.

The system itself is working very well, it has exceeded my expectations.I am already seeing the saving Benifit.
Solargain beat the quotes from Solarhub, ActewAGL, and EnergyMatters, for a 5.46 kW system and 21 Enphase Microinverters.

The system, after some of the inverters were replaced to meet standards, was properly installed and met all standards and is connected to the grid. My last bill in January 2017 cut 60% of what it was in the same quarter last year and that's with two air conditioners running, not to mention three refrigerators, washing machine, dishwasher and a 60" plasma TV. I can also see what power I'm using and sending to the grid on my Enphase app.

Where Solargain needs to step up is on communication and service. For example they changed the installation dates three times which resulted in a contract started 30th June not seeing an installation until the 17th September. I should also add record late winter and spring rain did not help. To Solargain's credit, they reduced my quote for the delays.

My experience with Solargain is they do a great job; and so I have recommended them to a colleague who then had a 5 kW system installed by Solargain because their quote was also the most competitive. However, be prepared to wait and be patient as parts can be unavailable and can require time to be shipped in.
Cost $6700 including all meters, meter upgrade (worth $800), Fronius 5kw inverter. Joe is based in Melbourne. Installers maintenance etc from Canberra. Installation not done yet. Show additional information
Finn, went with Solargain with 12 Jinko panels installed on the garage roof. Roof flat so tilt frames were required. Installation was on day advised, 17th January with no problems. Awaiting ACTEWAGL to install a gross input single phase meter. Advised February 2nd at 12 noon for meter installation. ACT government inspector cleared installation for connection to the grid
Currently 20 Q cells on roof with Enphase micro inverters. (S230's) Tilt frames with the Enphase Envoy 2 including the installers operating program installed so I can check each panel output along with quarter hour output.
The new system cost was $6550 all up including new single phase meter.
The 12 Jinko panels was all I could install ie 3.29kW due to my original application of 3kW's before 2011 to get the gross input of 45.7 cents per kWh. Solargain predict around 4434.86kWh over 12 months which I think is a little lite on. I reckon around 4500kWh as comparing 12 panels output against 20 panels for the last 12 months output of 7500kWh.
Solargain have been professional in their dealings with me on both systems.
Installers arrived on time and completed the job efficiently in the time expected and cleaned up afterwards including replacing some cracked tiles. Show additional information
Great experience from start to finish. Installed on date originally quoted always kept in contact. Very please with our new solar system. Show additional information
I had a total of 5 quotes altogether and what a mixed bunch they were, from the cheapest $2500 to the opposite extreme being $9000 dropped to $6000 in a flash because I was a special customer, this guy spent an hour in my home showing videos and generally spouting BS about how other companies used inferior products and theirs was number #1. I had never heard of the panels or the inverter they were going to install and told him that. All he wanted was me to sign their and then for his special price especially for me, I had to tell him at least 6 times before he got the message that I never sign for anything until I did my homework on his product. Needless to say he didn`t get the signature he was after. My system is being installed on February 14th. You can use this review but first name only. Show additional information
Prompt, friendly and professional service. Good quality product and great price. Show additional information
Good price. However, delay on panels and inverters meant I was away when they were installed. Still charging up connection to my wireless modem and solar gain reception is not responding. Excellent installation but slow with response to help. Show additional information
Out of warranty but 4 in 5 years is ridiculous. Off to Consumer Protection if they wont replace. Show additional information
We went with this company because they offered better panels than green wiring and cheaper than the others except green wiring plus they had a name we had heard of and are happy with our choice and cost. Show additional information
Thanking the team for their great customer service. JeremyL, AimeeB, RyanW and his helper. You all deserve 5 stars each. I hope all your hard work has not gone unnoticed. I was very happy with the sales advice, very satisfied with the product, and installation exactly how I wanted it. Happy to do business again in the future.
I chose Solargain in the end because of the good reviews from third party sources. They weren't wrong after all.
Thanks for your very helpful pages on educating me with solar.
It gave me the tools to pick carefully.
SolarGain did not explain, prior to purchase, that due to changes to the relevant Australian Standard that the generation of power from the system in combination with that generated by Western Power would cause the Invertor to exceed the allowable voltage with the result that the invertor would shut down and then spend time recovering only the process to be eventually repeated. This of course resulted in a significant loss of solar power generation and pass to the power network.
Had we been made aware of these problems it is likely that we would have opted for a different configuration.
We feel that SolarGain were negligent in that they did not fully explain the circumstances into which we were about experience.
There is finger pointing from all bodies.
* Australian Standard appears to be compiled without fully considering the requires here in Western Australia
* Western Power claim that they have made Australian Standards and the solar power suppliers of the voltage produced by them
* SolarGain point to the AS as not being suitable for W.A. and that Western Power should adjust (or "tap down") their generation
Not so much fun being the customer and over $5,000 short.
Thank you. All 3 quotes we received were very close making the choice difficult. All were very professional.
Your site made the process a breeze. We would recommend you to others. In fact I already have.
Cheers,